Knife selection

jfabes

What kinda of knife do you take along with you when camping, hiking, or backpacking?

I have an old k-bar from my marine corps days that I usually take with me but its a straight edge and I am now thinking I want a serrated fixed blade instead. Any suggestions?

What kinda of knife do you take along with you when camping, hiking, or backpacking?

I have an old k-bar from my marine corps days that I usually take with me but its a straight edge and I am now thinking I want a serrated fixed blade instead. Any suggestions?

A serrated edge was originally designed for creating the most amount of damage possible. Today's use has been relegated to sawing small branches, wiring, etc. If you have a multi-tool with a saw, then the serrated edge will be superfluous (I like that word today), and you would probably be better served with a straight edge as it is easier to sharpen than the serrated edge... unless you have specific reason for the serrated edge.

A Swiss Army knife. Forget the model but it has scissors and a corkscrew.

Also a Leatherman multi tool that has a little fork and butter knife in it. Perfect for eating sardines and smoked oysters from those little cans and spreading brie on crackers.

Edited by briansnat

I know we have a few readers here from a certain former-prison-colony-island-continent-infested-with-crocs-and-snikes. So I am waiting for the inevitable, "That's not a noif. This is a noif!"

Ninety-nine percent of all chores go to my tiny Leatherman P4 "Squirt."

I have an old k-bar from my marine corps days that I usually take with me

Man you better hang on to that KBar for it will become a collectors item before long. Why do I say this, well because Camillus Cuterly has gone out of business. And that is an American Knife maker that had a lot of prestige in this country.

I usually just carry a small pen knive, sometimes a fixed blade hunting knife. But one is smart to carry a machete, just in case you find a knive in a cache then you can trade up.

I’m looking at these from Chris Reeves. These are custom made and have a hollow handle for storing a few emergency items. Don’t get the idea that these are like the cheap hollow handle ‘rambo’ knives that will break at the hilt at the worst possible moment; they are machined from one piece of solid bar-stock. IOW, the handle and the knife are all one piece, no welds or screws. The only disadvantage is the handle is round instead of the more comfortable oval shape.

mountaineer001001.jpg

Edited by Criminal

With a knife you don't need ear plugs.

Boys and knives...

I see no real need for a knife with a serrated edge. Even the emergency "seat belt " knives today have a razor or thin blade. If you need to saw wood, carry a folding saw - most are cheap and light.

Spyderco became famous for their serrated edged folders, then folks started asking, " what will I do with it?" Now they include straight edge blades in their line.

Just everyday caching carry a CRKT neck peck on a chain, a Victorinox swiss champ in a bag pocket and a Leatherman charge tti in another.

ALWAYS have a little Schrade folder in my pocket.

Since I can't carry in Jersey/ New York, I usually have a wicked little Al Mar folder in a sheath.

On the AT or elsewhere "back country", a Cold Steel tanto or trail master is stashed away someplace.

Looking at a Benchmade LFK. Be nice when the price comes down a bit.

CJ usually has a classic Leatherman and a pocket knife on her most times.

Always keep 'em sharp... More people get hurt with dull knives than sharp.

I carry a Benchmade Mel Pardue folder most everywhere, including hiking. If I am going way back in the woods or if I have a specific need for it, I will strap a Cold Steel tanto onto my pack, but most days the Benchmade is perfect. I have to say it is the best knife I have ever known.

I managed to score one of these after making a soldier a tomahawk here in Iraq.I freakin' LOVE it.It stays scary sharp for a long time,and it has a nice wide portion on the backside of the front part of the blade that makes whittlin' easier.

I too have a K-Bar from my Marine days(I think it's an un-written law that Marines must own at least one :laughing: ).I like it,but really never carry it.For hunting/skinning chores I love my little handy Puma fixed blade.I don't remember the model,but it has about a five-6 inch blade.Handy from Squirrels to Moose(We'll see once I get the tag :( ).I want to experiment with taking a small tomahawk with me for cutting purposes as well.Having an axe/hatchet nearby is handy for field dressing deer,clearing shooting lanes,etc.I've also been carrying around a leatherman micro.I like it because now I always have a pair scisscors handy,and it has tweezers.I tend to get alot of wood and metal splinters.It's hard for me to carry around a belt knife because I always wear suspenders.

Edited by vtmtnman

If you go with a serrated edge, you might look into one of these:

DMT Diafold Serrated Diamond Knife Sharpener model FSKF

p359921dt.jpg

I carry one and it is light and well worth the $30.

Edited by coggins

I managed to score one of these after making a soldier a tomahawk here in Iraq.I freakin' LOVE it.It stays scary sharp for a long time,and it has a nice wide portion on the backside of the front part of the blade that makes whittlin' easier.

I have a Benchmade that is similar to that one; I think we bought 200 of them for the Special Ops aircrews. I used to carry it all the time in uniform, but now it has to stay home.

I carry the Military Model by Spyderco for daily use and very short hikes. The handle is carbon fiber so it’s super light, and I selected the plain edge instead of the serrated.

21Ed+cih-EL._SS500_.jpg

What kinda of knife do you take along with you when camping, hiking, or backpacking? I have an old k-bar from my marine corps days that I usually take with me but its a straight edge and I am now thinking I want a serrated fixed blade instead. Any suggestions?

Spyderco Endura (I have large hands). Large fixed blades look great in the movies, but are a bear to carry comfortably, and frequently are inconvenient to use. Endura is cheap and good enough. If I wanted the best, I would probably go for Spyderco Military. Anything above that I see as a fancy (nothing wrong with it, just not adding much functionality for a lot more money).

I have no use for a serrated edge. I see them as a hindrance.

opens quickly and is good enough to get stabby with:

:P:blink::):D

I've got a small knife fetish. I have a knife for every occasion and never leave home without at least one. When I go out hunting/camping I will take a large (6" minimum), thick, fixed blade knife with a good hand guard and a solid pommel. The sharper the better, you want it to cut with little effort; if you have to force it you will get cut.

I'm not a big fan of the folders that you have to dig out the blades; I like the idea of being able to get the blade out and into service with one hand.

Very partial to Benchmade and Cold Steel

Spyderco Endura (I have large hands). Large fixed blades look great in the movies, but are a bear to carry comfortably, and frequently are inconvenient to use. Endura is cheap and good enough. If I wanted the best, I would probably go for Spyderco Military. Anything above that I see as a fancy (nothing wrong with it, just not adding much functionality for a lot more money).

I have no use for a serrated edge. I see them as a hindrance.

I used to have a plain edged Spyderco Police. Nice, but too large in every way - with 'sample size' hands it was difficult to hold onto and thumb-open smoothly. The hinge never worked well either - too difficult to open smoothly (thumb or flip) as it seemed to always catch, and it would never give when you pressed the release to close the knife.

With some elbow grease and adjust it got better, but never as nice as I know they can be.

It was also long enough (folded), and heavy enough, that it didn't fit in my pocket. I'm not sure it was made for a girl.

:blink:

The Delica is small enough to answer all the sample-sized issues and 'good-enough'. I don't need any drama, but some functionality is a nice thing.

ob funny: I ran into a bunch of 'the guys' (non-trad students who'd been laid off from one of the mills) and a few extras from one of my classes in the plaza one day. They got into a pi**ing match about the size of their... knives. So, of course everyone pulls their knife out. It was the one benefit to the Police, I guess, because, well, mine was the biggest.

michelle

The Delica is small enough to answer all the sample-sized issues and good-enough'.

Yep, my girlfriend carries one. I like it a lot, but it disappears in my hand (I'm 6'3"), and that makes it more difficult for me to open it one-handed. Since I am paranoid, I must have one easily reachable blade in my pocket (great clip on the Spydercos) that can be opened with one hand in case my other hand gets trapped or is my only grip point. :blink:

I suppose if I did long-distance two-week hikes, I would carry a lightweight hatchet in addition to a folder. For dayhikes or short-term camping, a decent folder and a piece of wood will combine for a passable chopping tool, if I need one.

Edited by hwyhobo

ob funny: I ran into a bunch of 'the guys' (non-trad students who'd been laid off from one of the mills) and a few extras from one of my classes in the plaza one day. They got into a pi**ing match about the size of their... knives. So, of course everyone pulls their knife out. It was the one benefit to the Police, I guess, because, well, mine was the biggest.

michelle

If there's one thing I've learned with knives,size is meaningless compared to application and sharpness.But it's fun to carry around a big one to get looks. :o;)

My primary knife is an old Army issued M6 bayonet I like it's stout construction, and I use it for "knife to claw" combat. I live in a "commie state/ anti-gun county" so I can't legally carry a pistol. I also hike in remote canyons frequented by Mountain Lions.

I do have my eye on a Top Knives Smoke Jumper. They recieved a nice review on Survival.com.

Edited by Kit Fox

Your knife isn't broken. K-Bar now has smaller versions. But all versions come in fixed and serrated these days. For the price they are hard to beat.

I live in a "commie state/ anti-gun county" so I can't legally carry a pistol.

You could, but only on BLM lands, and only open carry. I don't know how much BLM land you have in your area, but there should be a little bit.

I do have my eye on a Top Knives Smoke Jumper.

Sure is pretty. I like that modified wharncliffe blade design.

I generally have a Gerber folder in my pocket. I used to carry a Bucklite, which I liked, but it got broken. If I need a bigger fixed blade, I have one I made long ago from D2 steel. I also have an assortment in a drawer at home, including a nice little bird/trout model I made, but they seldom come out these days. I carry a Spyderco serrated blade folder in my flight suit at work, for emergency use. It was a present from a customer years ago, and it's the only folder I have that's really big enough and quick enough for what I need it for. I could buy another, but I already have this one.

I live in a "commie state/ anti-gun county" so I can't legally carry a pistol.

You could, but only on BLM lands, and only open carry. I don't know how much BLM land you have in your area, but there should be a little bit.

I do have my eye on a Top Knives Smoke Jumper.

Sure is pretty. I like that modified wharncliffe blade design.

The nearest section of BLM land to my location is about 35 miles away, and it is "land locked" by private property. The majority my hiking is in Angeles National Forest.

I think a lot of people make the mistake of buyin a BIG knife, which for most purposes is overkill, and in most cases just plain unhandy. No mater what the knife, keeping it sharp is the key. Besides whatever knife I'm carrying (along with a multi-tool), I also carry a small diamond sharpening steel. I aso prefer a straight blade over a serrated one because I can sharpen a plain blade a lot easier and quicker.

I think a lot of people make the mistake of buyin a BIG knife, which for most purposes is overkill, and in most cases just plain unhandy. No mater what the knife, keeping it sharp is the key. Besides whatever knife I'm carrying (along with a multi-tool), I also carry a small diamond sharpening steel. I aso prefer a straight blade over a serrated one because I can sharpen a plain blade a lot easier and quicker.

The sharpening steel is a great idea. I disagree with you about knive size. It all depends on application and needs. In my case, my "big knife" is a defensive weapon, and my Gerber tool is my normal use tool. I also pack a folding knife that uses utility knive blades.

I carry two when out caching, hiking, camping, etc. The first is my leatherman kick, which I use for almost everything. MY second, fixed blade, is a mora knife. These things stay SHARP, are cheap (most under $10), and, if broken or lost, dont break the bank.

My Mora has a nice custom made leather sheath, with a firesteel holder for my firesteel. The knife is carbon steel, and I can get a great spark for fires. IMHO, serration is overrated, as it serves only a few purposes well, and, to get the best out of it, must be sharpened constantly. Mora knives will give you more bang for our buck, and, in this instance, you get MORE for your money.

I own a K-bar, and was unaware they were oing out of business. I was gonna give mine to my nephew, when he goes to, & graduates from, boo camp, but I may rethink this now!!

I own a K-bar, and was unaware they were oing out of business. I was gonna give mine to my nephew, when he goes to, & graduates from, boo camp, but I may rethink this now!!

KaBar is not going out of business: Camillus, one of the makers of the Fighting/Utility knife, commonly called

"kabar", and which has been in manufacture since World War II, did go out of business.

KaBar still makes the famous "kabar" in Olean, NY. I believe today's KaBar is the old Union Cutlery Co., who capitalized on the popularity of the "kabar" nomenclature.

Ontario Knife Co and Case Cutlery both currently manufacture "kabar" style knives.

These are great all-purpose fixed blades, based on the old Marbles "Ideal" pattern from the early 1900s', but the 7" blade can be a bit much in certain situations.

I carry two. I haven't found one knife that will do it all from filleting fish to building a shelter. And most folding knifes (even the expensive ones) don't feel sturdy enough for a survival situation. So, here's what I carry:

Swiss Army Knife (Spartan) for about 90% of what I need

USAF Survival knife (replaced the supplied sharpening stone with similar size hone). I've beaten this knife up really badly over the last 15-20 years and it is still holding up very well.

When just out caching or day hiking I sometime only carry the SAK.