Which of these RAM mounts is prefered?

I don't have the 60csx, but I've used RAM for my Meridian, Explorist, Quest, and PN-20. I favor the top arrangement, because it is more usable not only in the car but also on my bicycle and motorcycle. I'd recommend the larger 4-inch suction cup over the smaller one, though.

I have the top one that holds either my PDA or GPS or my UMPC... now that I have seen the quality of a RAM mount and bought into the mounting system, I'll never look elsewhere.

*edit*

Also, careful with removing and mounting the 60CSx... I really rubbed away some of the rubber on the bottom thinking it need to go in "belt knob" first then slide in the bottom. It's the opposite, insert the bottom of the 60CSx and then snap in the "belt knob".

Edited by not_timmins

I also have the top pictured RAM mount with the larger suction cup. I recently had to test out RAM's lifetime warranty policy, and their customer service was top notch. I had a reply to my email within 5 minutes after sending it and all they required for part replacement was digital picture of the broken piece. Replacement piece was mailed off that same day with no fees on my end even for shipping.

Probably obvious to some in this thread due to their occupation, but for others keep in mind that some areas have laws about suction cup mounts on windshields. I'm looking at the dashboard mounts and handlebar and bicycle frame mount Ram units.

Just posting a type-by comment.

Edited by mikej2

Probably obvious to some in this thread due to their occupation, but for others keep in mind that some areas have laws about suction cup mounts on windshields. I'm looking at the dashboard mounts and handlebar and bicycle frame mount Ram units.

You definately want the top one, RAM-B-166-GA12U. I've been using one for my 60Csx and VentureCX even though they are illegal here in Minnesota (as well as California). The other one wiggles too much.

I have the bottom one, and love it. My wife liked it because it was far less bulky and had a sleeker appearance.

Vibration is not an issue if you mount it in such a way that the bottom of the GPSr just barely touches the dash. I don't get any wiggle/vibration whatsoever. If you are in a situation where the GPSr would have to be completely dangling, it's probably not the best option, but I doubt many would have this issue.

Jim

I use the suction mount and the arm displayed in your top picture however, I originally got the 60CSX specific holder/cradle that you also show with that mount. I found after a while that I wanted to use the mount for several different handheld toys and most importantly it was a pain constantly trying to get the Garmin out of its very tight case to put into the mount and then putting the case back on again when I arrived at the hike.

Solution found! along came the new RAM Fingergrip Universal Mount:

http://www.ram-mount.com/mount/ramholun4_f...rgrip_mount.htm

This mount will hold anything from a phone to a PDA to any make of GPS out there. It is fully adjustable and holds my units with their cases on them. It grips well and comes with 3 different sized fingers to fit almost any small appliance.

I just bought a mount for a Sirius radio (w/ AT mount) from TSS Radio for my Magellan 2200T . This was for a 2000 Silverado, and by just slightly elongating the mounting holes, it holds my Magellan perfect. Love it!

Got my RAM mount today, however they sent me the one with the 4" suction cup. I checked gpsonsale's web site and I see they have removed the mount with the 3" cup. I guess they had sold out and shipped me this one instead. No biggie.

e8a43e98.jpg

However, anyone else have a little difficulty getting their GPS out of the cradle?? I know it goes in bottom first, thenn the top snaps into place. But trying to get it out takes a little work. I'm almost tempted to file or sand down the little tip inside the hole a little bit to see if that helps any.

Anyone else have this issue?

However, anyone else have a little difficulty getting their GPS out of the cradle?? I know it goes in bottom first, thenn the top snaps into place. But trying to get it out takes a little work. I'm almost tempted to file or sand down the little tip inside the hole a little bit to see if that helps any.

Yah, I just got a 60Cx and RAM mount and found it was really hard to get out. I did actually file the lip down just a bit. After playing a little more, I found that if I put the heal of my hand on top of the GPS and my thumb on the front of the "release" I can push down the GPS (and flex the cradle) while I push back on the release. Then it pops right out.

I also decided that it is snug enough without actually snapping it into the cradle that I wont bother much of the time.

Got my RAM mount today, however they sent me the one with the 4" suction cup. I checked gpsonsale's web site and I see they have removed the mount with the 3" cup. I guess they had sold out and shipped me this one instead. No biggie.

e8a43e98.jpg

Anyone else have this issue?

Yeah. I had that same issue. There's a thread somewhere in this forum (I think I searched "RAM mount") that describes exactly that. I filed it down quite a bit to where it still holds the GPS great but the release is now much easier.