Gear Review

I kept this description generic so other brand sleeping pads can be reviewed here too.

My review is going to be on the REI Camp Bed 3.5 Self-Inflating Pad vs. Therm-a-Rest ProLite 4 Sleeping Pad of which I bought both. In consideration of my purchase, I looked at and decided not to go to the heavyweight champion 8 lbs Therm-a-Rest DreamTime Sleeping Pad.

My first purchase was the Therm-a-Rest ProLite 4 because of its profound light weight (2 lbs. 1 oz. for the large) and alleged comfort. If you weigh 250 lbs like me, you quickly discover the 1/2" memory foam is quickly mashed to 1/8" and the air to help support it doesn't exactly keep you from bottoming out. Lumbar support has to be an additional cushion which doesn't always stay put or have the same consistency if you're using your extra clothing or jacket to help support you. Ultimately, the two times I used it, I woke up with a stiff back that needed the kinks worked out and I could honestly say it was not a comfortable night's sleep. The R value at 3.2 wasn't too bad, but I would end up tossing a handwarmer into the sleeping bag.

REI's Camp Bed 3.5 Self-Inflating Pad is more than twice the weight at 5 lbs. 2 oz. It self-inflated to 3.5" and I sealed it up with no additional air for support. R value is 6.4 which made for a very comfortable insulating pad during several hours of rain storms on the beach. It's easier to say I had about 4 hours of no rain from 3:30PM to 7AM, so I had a real chance to really work this pad in various positions of sitting and reclining positions while making notes in my pocket PC (playing games). The lumbar support that I brought with me became the entry knee pad. I woke up in the middle of the night only because the racoons forced that event upon me. Beyond that, it made for a very comfortable night of sleep with very few kinks to work out. I didn't bottom out when turning over and I was hard pressed to bottom out when sitting on it. Kneeling on it was a little different, but it certainly cushioned me from the little rocks under the tent. You know the kind, the ones that find the very nerve to send waves of pain through the knee.

Is it heavy? Without a doubt. It's even heavier than my tent. Will I trade it back for my Therm-a-Rest? No. In fact, I gave the Prolite to my daughter. She can sleep on anythng with no problem. Comfort through the night is critical to me. I can just about stand anything else so long as I can have that and this pad provided the right level of cushioning to make it happen.

I kept this description generic so other brand sleeping pads can be reviewed here too.

My review is going to be on the REI Camp Bed 3.5 Self-Inflating Pad vs. Therm-a-Rest ProLite 4 Sleeping Pad of which I bought both. In consideration of my purchase, I looked at and decided not to go to the heavyweight champion 8 lbs Therm-a-Rest DreamTime Sleeping Pad.

My first purchase was the Therm-a-Rest ProLite 4 because of its profound light weight (2 lbs. 1 oz. for the large) and alleged comfort. If you weigh 250 lbs like me, you quickly discover the 1/2" memory foam is quickly mashed to 1/8" and the air to help support it doesn't exactly keep you from bottoming out. Lumbar support has to be an additional cushion which doesn't always stay put or have the same consistency if you're using your extra clothing or jacket to help support you. Ultimately, the two times I used it, I woke up with a stiff back that needed the kinks worked out and I could honestly say it was not a comfortable night's sleep. The R value at 3.2 wasn't too bad, but I would end up tossing a handwarmer into the sleeping bag.

REI's Camp Bed 3.5 Self-Inflating Pad is more than twice the weight at 5 lbs. 2 oz. It self-inflated to 3.5" and I sealed it up with no additional air for support. R value is 6.4 which made for a very comfortable insulating pad during several hours of rain storms on the beach. It's easier to say I had about 4 hours of no rain from 3:30PM to 7AM, so I had a real chance to really work this pad in various positions of sitting and reclining positions while making notes in my pocket PC (playing games). The lumbar support that I brought with me became the entry knee pad. I woke up in the middle of the night only because the racoons forced that event upon me. Beyond that, it made for a very comfortable night of sleep with very few kinks to work out. I didn't bottom out when turning over and I was hard pressed to bottom out when sitting on it. Kneeling on it was a little different, but it certainly cushioned me from the little rocks under the tent. You know the kind, the ones that find the very nerve to send waves of pain through the knee.

Is it heavy? Without a doubt. It's even heavier than my tent. Will I trade it back for my Therm-a-Rest? No. In fact, I gave the Prolite to my daughter. She can sleep on anythng with no problem. Comfort through the night is critical to me. I can just about stand anything else so long as I can have that and this pad provided the right level of cushioning to make it happen.

Interesting.. I just got the lightest therma rest made, they claim it weighs 13 ounces, that's the same as my foam ridgerest. I think it will work out ok but I've not taken it backpacking yet. I took my ridgerest on my last backpacking trip and I had to get up earlier in the morning then I wanted to because my back hurt.

After a couple of years of carrying a queen size inflatable mattress when we were car camping, or just sleeping on the ground when we were hiking, Scoot and I decided to buy a couple of those self-inflating sleeping pads. We were skeptical about their effectiveness and we hated to spend that much money on something that we had no confidence in, but we caught them on sale and decided to give them a try. It was one of the best camping gear purchases we have made.

We bought two of the Therma-Rest brand Basecamp Sleeping pad at REI on clearance for around fifty dollars a piece. The first time we used them while hiking I was amazed it just how comfortable they were, but I honestly figured that it was a fluke thing, that we were really tired or that the ground was soft or something. I could not believe that something so small could be so comfortable. Well, it was not a fluke. We have given away our big inflatable mattress and now use the therma-rests exclusively. Ours are about 1.75 inches thick and in addition to making you more comfortable they insulate you from the ground, and because they are so thin they heat up fairly quickly. The big inflatable mattress we had before seemed to leach heat away from you as the night progressed, but I have not noticed this at all with the therma rest.

They roll up into about a five inch diameter circle and I usually strap mine to the outside of my pack. I suggest that you also buy a compression sack (about $12.00) that fits it if you are going to hike with it much, it is just easier. Another great accessory for these matresses is a "Trekker Chair Sleeve". This sleeve fits over the matress and converts it into a camp chair with a back. It may seem silly, but I can tell you that everytime I let my fellow campers try it, I am afraid I am going to have to fight to get it back. These run about $35.00, but they are well worth it in my opinion.

Even though they are a little pricey this sleeping pad/chair combo are well worth the money and the weight in your pack. I know that when we get ready to go out for an overnight stay, they are some of the first things I pack.

After a couple of years of carrying a queen size inflatable mattress when we were car camping

The big inflatable mattress we had before seemed to leach heat away from you as the night progressed, but I have not noticed this at all with the therma rest.

Another great accessory for these matresses is a "Trekker Chair Sleeve".

Even though they are a little pricey this sleeping pad/chair combo are well worth the money and the weight in your pack. I know that when we get ready to go out for an overnight stay, they are some of the first things I pack.

Pretty funny you mention the air mattress thing...

We were just visiting with TotemLake and talked about the same thing.

Car camping was last week, and the 4-man tent is perfect for the queen air mattress... It's one of those nice cushy ones that blows itself up and all that other yadda. We used it last year in the sand, and, admittedly, we froze our butts off. We just assumed it was b/c it was cold, and it wasn't an obvious 'coming from the bottom' kind of a coldness.

We weren't sure why at that time... but last week we took that little gem out again, and used the down sleeping bags... and this time truly froze our butts off. Everything against that mattress was MUCH colder than anything just exposed to the air.

Crap-o-la.

It just isn't THAT comfortable to make being THAT cold worth it. <_<

Not sure we'll be using it again. And I'm thinking about investing in a couple of the more 'plush' thermarests for car camping. The prolite4's are nice, but it's a big enough tent that I don't have to scrimp on weight or size, so why?

Ditto on the chair. Snat mentioned it in his 'luxury' camping items, I believe.

I've had one for a couple of years and I like it. I like it a lot.

Share it? You've got to be kidding.

michelle

I own therma-rests and would never consider camping without one. I got a ridgerest for the dogs and one night, somehow they managed to slide me off my pad and on to theirs. Well. Now I know why. The therma-rest is SO much better.

:laughing:

Next time I fight harder.

michelle

Been hearin' alot about those chairs...might have to look into one at some point.

I've used an assortment of pads over the years and some were good and some made me wish I stayed home.

We bought a few self inflatings things from Coleman and when all the air goes to your feet and your back is on hard ground that is not a good investment.

Air mattress is allmost good till it gets cold out. But a airmattress with a foam pad is not bad.

I won a selflating one that is called swissgear (Walmart ??) and its not bad for car camping, and would be better with a foam pad on top.

I have a thermolite that my friend gave me, and I wouldn't go without it. Not even sure what kind it is but it works and is warm and comfortable on the back side, And rolls up with my bedroll real fine.

michelle

Been hearin' alot about those chairs...might have to look into one at some point.

They don't make 'em big enough for my REI pad. :anibad:

I've tried various pads over the years and have settled on a Big Agnes insulated air core. It packs small, is relatively light and is "really" comfortable (I can actually "sleep in" which is a new backpacking experience for me!). I've heard they can be cold if you are a four season camper but I'm generally camping above freezing temps so I've not had that problem.

michelle

They don't make 'em big enough for my REI pad. :anibad:

Is it the width or length? My wife has a full length Thermarest and it fits just fine in the chair converter.

Forget the thermarests, folks! Seriously, take a look at the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core, the Pacific Outdoor Equipment Insul-Mat Max Thermo, or the Exped Downmat.

These three gems of sleeping pad wonder offer comfort AND relatively light weight. My wife and I have the Big Agnes and the Insul Mat, and they're nearly identical (the BA is rectangular while the Insul-Mat is mummy shaped, but otherwise no diff). Both use Primaloft synthetic insulation and are reportedly good down to about 15F, though that is of course variable depending on the person in question. They're 2.5" thick, too, with a lot more cush than any thermarest I've ever slept on.

They are regular inflatables, though, so they don't inflate on their own. Big Agnes does make a stuff sack pump you can buy as an accessory to inflate these things without hyperventilating. The Expeds come with a stuff sack pump.

michelle

They don't make 'em big enough for my REI pad. :anitongue:

Is it the width or length? My wife has a full length Thermarest and it fits just fine in the chair converter.

It's the width. It is wider than the full length Thermarest by about 4 inches if I remember right.

I love my sasquatch. Used to do the air mattress car camping thing, until we realized that every night the thing went at least 1/2 flat and you froze your buns off. I've got a bad back so I started with a 1.75" thermarest and quickly realized that wasn't enough. That one went to the hubby and now I've got the 4 " sasquatch and couldn't be happier. It's not light (5 lbs), but being that I'm not doing backpacking with it I don't care. Though I think even if I was I'd still take it!

Well I'm thinking of getting a sleeping pad. Doing some research and I'm thinking about the Big Agnes dual core pad. Anyone used this? I also see it has been a while since somone has posted anything. Maybe you have had a few more months to try your pads. Have your views changed? New things you like/dislike?

Well I'm thinking of getting a sleeping pad. Doing some research and I'm thinking about the Big Agnes dual core pad. Anyone used this? I also see it has been a while since somone has posted anything. Maybe you have had a few more months to try your pads. Have your views changed? New things you like/dislike?

I know I want a different one. Does that count?

:)

michelle

Maybe you have had a few more months to try your pads. Have your views changed? New things you like/dislike?

With the record snowfalls in this area this year, you'd think I would have had a chance to snowcamp this year. But nooooooo.... :)

With the new job stress levels, even my wife agrees I'm going to need some serious wilderness time over a weekend.

Maybe you have had a few more months to try your pads. Have your views changed? New things you like/dislike?

With the record snowfalls in this area this year, you'd think I would have had a chance to snowcamp this year. But nooooooo.... :)

With the new job stress levels, even my wife agrees I'm going to need some serious wilderness time over a weekend.

But isn't your snowcamping like... the biggest tent you can find, a cot, a Coleman stove and some flammable materials?

michelle

But isn't your snowcamping like... the biggest tent you can find, a cot, a Coleman stove and some flammable materials?

michelle

Used to be. Did I mention the homemade rockets that flared over the campsite and bounced off my tarps? :)

I actually wanted to hike in this time and campout away from the usual trappings. Oh well... next time.

michelle

Used to be. Did I mention the homemade rockets that flared over the campsite and bounced off my tarps? :D

I actually wanted to hike in this time and campout away from the usual trappings. Oh well... next time.

See, now, I wasn't going to mention the homemade rockets.... your dirty little secret was safe with me.

Speaking of... I think this may be my summer to make a small cannon. There's nothing quite like bringing out the cannon at a party, you know? :)

So I ended up with the REI 3.5 Self-Inflating Pad. After going to the store two things pushed me towards this. One. This looked and felt like a sleeping pad while most of the others felt more like a blow up bed you would use in a pool. In other words they felt somewhat cheap. Two. I realized this was the only pad wide enough to fit my shoulders. Although I plan on doing mostly car camping with this pad I was wondering if anyone...Totemlake... has used this backpacking? I realize it is pretty heavy for a pad but is the extra weight a good trade off for a great night sleep, or is it just to heavy to be considered?

So I ended up with the REI 3.5 Self-Inflating Pad. After going to the store two things pushed me towards this. One. This looked and felt like a sleeping pad while most of the others felt more like a blow up bed you would use in a pool. In other words they felt somewhat cheap. Two. I realized this was the only pad wide enough to fit my shoulders. Although I plan on doing mostly car camping with this pad I was wondering if anyone...Totemlake... has used this backpacking? I realize it is pretty heavy for a pad but is the extra weight a good trade off for a great night sleep, or is it just to heavy to be considered?

I believe Totemlake's description above is from a backpacking trip he took last June or July...

michelle

I believe Totemlake's description above is from a backpacking trip he took last June or July...

michelle

Yes it was from a backpacking trip. If I tried to pack it into the backpack, the rest of the gear would have had to hang off the outside. :D You can see it here rolled up and strapped onto the outside. Play with the position to find the sweet spot. I had to add a bear canister so the stacking you see here was my sweet spot. For me, sleep is not a luxury, but a necessity. The comfort level this pad provided definitely aided in that and made it worth the extra weight to pack in.

3f5f58d9-3e9e-4c73-984a-11f8b61d28e3.jpg

Edited by TotemLake

I love that photo, TL.

If I tried to carry that much weight/stuff I'd be laying, on my back, on the trail unable to roll myself over.

IIRC, the total weight was close to half my own.

:D

m

Speaking of which, I have officially lost that backpack weight as of today. :D

Yes it was from a backpacking trip. If I tried to pack it into the backpack, the rest of the gear would have had to hang off the outside. :D You can see it here rolled up and strapped onto the outside. Play with the position to find the sweet spot. I had to add a bear canister so the stacking you see here was my sweet spot. For me, sleep is not a luxury, but a necessity. The comfort level this pad provided definitely aided in that and made it worth the extra weight to pack in.

Alright, thanks for the help, I will have to post my review... if anyone cares... after I try it a few nights. I'm really looking forward to getting out

I've used a Pro-lite 4 for 6 years backpacking. I'm 5-10, 230 lbs. It has been great, well satisfied.

It insulates very well in cold and is comfortable. However, I'm comfortable on the ground, I need little to be comfortable. It is easy to curse the blow-ups if you get a leak on the trail (so I carry patches which is all that's needed. I get a pucture maybe 1 in 20 trips).

The pro-lite line was made for light, and inflatables in general are made to lower bulk and weight. There are consequently trade-offs. Today, given the materials available, there honestly isn't that much weight advantage to the pro-lite, but I still go for the reduced bulk.

The overriding criteria for me (given that I don't really need much in a pad to begin with) is lightweight and low bulk, mostly the bulk. It's really nice to deflate and roll into a very tight roll. Easy to pack.

The others listed above are great choices. For me, the pro-lite 4 is my deal.

Question. I have the REI 3.5 sleeping pad and am looking into sleeping bags. I wonder if I got one of the big agnes park series bags if my REI pad would slip in the pocket. The park series are built for the BA sleeping giant pad which like the REI pad is 25" wide but I cant find how thick the BA pad is. Does anyone either have a BA park series bag and use the REI 3.5 pad (if this is the case how do you like it) or someone with the sleeping giant pad tell me how thick it is so I know if this combo will work. Thanks

I have to agree with those who like thermarest.

Last summer I put them on a serious test in Norway - have used them before but there it was about 2 weeks camping out.

I am using thermarest trail lite and it is really comfortable when you get used to it a little. And when you pack it, it really is small. I bought it because of its size - when I'm heading out on my motorcycle, I have very limited space for gear.

One night in Norway i put my camping gear on a unintentional test.

I was camping in a same place for a three days, it was a beatiful place and my tent was on a river side, well away and above of the river. Or so I thought.

On a third night I woke up because my hand was feeling really really cold, it was off the thermarest. I did not think much of it at the time, only that wow, this thing really is good in insulating, put my hand back to thermarest and fell asleep. I think that it happened once more, without any further thought other than it really must be cold outside tonight. So once again I woke up because my hand was once again on tent floor and feeling really really cold. This time I actually woke up enough to hear some kind of watery gurgling noises. Half asleep Im thinking really slow and my hand on tent floor, pating it, feels that its weird, kind of soft and bouncy and touching it causes more watery gurgling noises. Seconds pass. Suddenly I'm all fully awake, I just realized that somehow Im in the water with my tent. Woke up my wife, she does not get it, why I'm repeating the words water and river, at first..

If the water level had been an inch higher it would have flooded the tent trough air holes...

There must have been a storm somewhere on the sea I guess, during the tide time that raised up the river big time. The river was, at that time, actually flowing in a wrong direction. While on a day time it flowed from left to right, towards the nearby sea. But at that time it flowed from right to left..

So it looked like this:

telk1.jpg

Me rescuing the tent and gear(wife said she has *never* seen me *SO* happy):

telk4.jpg

And to show, how much the river raised.:

telk3.jpg

So, i give big thumbs up for thermarest. Those are really comfortable and insulate cold well. Maybe even a little too well...

And yes, coleman tent is pretty good to. It kept us actually dry. Only a little moist was under the thermarest - probably because some really minor puncture.

... half asleep Im thinking really slow and my hand on tent floor, pating it, feels that its weird, kind of soft and bouncy and touching it causes more watery gurgling noises. Seconds pass. Suddenly I'm all fully awake, I just realized that somehow Im in the water with my tent. Woke up my wife, she does not get it, why I'm repeating the words water and river, at first..

Never mind the Thermarest. That's quite a tent floor!

I actually had a similar experience when I pitched my tent in a slight depression in the ground and a severe thunderstorm came through and filled it up. The tent floor looked like a floating pool cover, but the inside stayed dry.

Most of the sleeping pads I've been reading about here are unnecessarily heavy. You can get very good and lightweight pads that go from shoulder to knee that weigh less than two pounds. They are self-inflating and insulated. If you are car camping, no problem, bring the queen size deluxe, but for hiking, why break your back with a 5 lbs. pad when you can carry one that will do the job and weighs only 1.6 lbs?

Happy Caching

Most of the sleeping pads I've been reading about here are unnecessarily heavy. You can get very good and lightweight pads that go from shoulder to knee that weigh less than two pounds. They are self-inflating and insulated. If you are car camping, no problem, bring the queen size deluxe, but for hiking, why break your back with a 5 lbs. pad when you can carry one that will do the job and weighs only 1.6 lbs?

Happy Caching

Because they feel the 3/4 length, 1.6lb sleeping pad does not do the job for them.

Personally, I made a very conscious decision to carry a full length, self-inflating and insulated sleeping pad which weighs 1.6 lbs instead of carrying a 3/4 length, self-inflating and insulated sleeping pad which weighs 1.0625 lbs. Even more frightening is the fact that I'm thinking about getting a different full length, insulated (NOT self-inflating) sleeping pad which weighs 2.0 lbs.

michelle

Edited by CurmudgeonlyGal

Happy Caching

I believe I gave a perfectly good reason.

In fact, if not for that very pad this weekend, doing today's hike would have been a painful reminder the less than two pound pad is quite useless to me.