Geocaching UK Group on Facebook

How are you all today? Good I hope!

I've recently become a member of the facebook community. Now I know what some of you must be thinking... another one of those 'myspace generation' websites; but you would be wrong. Facebook uses a simple and clean user interface, and allows you to network with just about anyone on the planet. There’s also an app available that puts your geo-stats on your profile page, which is pretty cool.

I’ve been using it to say hello to some old mates from school – and I’ve just found out that there are loads of geocaching groups set up.

One geo-group in particular is Geocaching UK. It is pretty low on members right now, and could do with some support.

So go on, it only takes a minute or so to register, is completely free and I’m positive will prove to be a great networking tool for the UK Geocaching community. And, you can catch up with some old school/work mates while you’re at it!

Facebook can me found here – http://www.facebook.com

Geocaching UK group can be found here - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2653370305

Happy caching all…

Ratty x

Oh odd.

I have an application to add geocaching stats to your profile here.

I only released it about 4 days ago, and it already has well over 250 users :rolleyes:

Got a problem, my facebook geocaching stats says I've done 146 where as my gc.com profile correctly says I've done 165

I have received several Invites to Facebook off cachers over the last few days.

I just want to make something very clear!

DON'T do it!

I am aware of it, I do not want invites.

I would say I am sorry for being grumpy about it, however I am not.

:D

What? Join facebook or send you an invite

I've joined Facebook, not figure out the point yet and it seem to be going the same way as my Myspace page, "Friends" who I don't know leaving comments. Probable the same as Friends Reunited as well where you're interested in whats going on but don't fancy contacting anyone

Joined facebook and the group on the strength of this post, glad I did it looks to be the best social networking site I have seen, I used to use LJ and myspace, but I didnt bother as it was a bit rubbish, it also managed to find a lot of my friends automaticly from my gmail account.

DON'T do it!

:laughing:

What? Join facebook or send you an invite

I've joined Facebook, not figure out the point yet and it seem to be going the same way as my Myspace page, "Friends" who I don't know leaving comments. Probable the same as Friends Reunited as well where you're interested in whats going on but don't fancy contacting anyone

Don't send me an invite, if anyone else joins that entirely up to you.

DON'T do it!

When you sign up to Facebook, you are presented with a facility whereby you can automatically send invites to all those on your Hotmail/Yahoo etc contacts lists (assuming you want to) which is why some people will get lots of invites, as I did until I actually signed up. Once you have signed up, you then get notifications as to who has added you (I think) but no more invites. If you are on contacts lists of people other than those who read the forums and see you don't want to get any invites, then you may get more Tony. Perhaps you can get your spam/junk mail to filter them if you don't want them. Liane :o

DON'T do it!

When you sign up to Facebook, you are presented with a facility whereby you can automatically send invites to all those on your Hotmail/Yahoo etc contacts lists (assuming you want to) which is why some people will get lots of invites, as I did until I actually signed up. Once you have signed up, you then get notifications as to who has added you (I think) but no more invites. If you are on contacts lists of people other than those who read the forums and see you don't want to get any invites, then you may get more Tony. Perhaps you can get your spam/junk mail to filter them if you don't want them. Liane :o

I really do not see why i should have to. If you don't give them access to your address book in the first place I will not get them.

Yes I must admit to feeling the same way about this. I have yet to 'discover' the value of this networking facility... oh OK then I have no friends :laughing:

Jon

I've joined.....I actually found the Geocaching stats app by chance a couple of days ago and had already added it. Thanks to Edgemaster for creating that, and to Ratty for setting up the Facebook group :D

I can't take the credit for the GeoUK Facebook group, I'm sorry to say. That's all down to a chap called John (can't remember his geoname right now, have a look on the group!). I stumbled across the group a little while back when it first started and it had only a couple of members. I thought maybe it was down to people not knowing or even understanding what facebook was all about, so I got on the forums and posted this as a bit of publicity! Seems to be working well!

Now all I have to do is activate my Facebook 'Webcam Viewer', 'Bank Account Hacker', and 'Surfing Habit Gatherer' applications so I can watch you all naked, rob all yer cash and blackmail you into joining my new outlaw group, the 'cyber band of merry men'! Muhuhuhuhuhu...

/me giggles to himself like a little child! :P

I must be doing something wrong here, as I can't get the stats to appear on my Facebook profile using Edgemasters application.

I installed the application OK, and put in the Username, GUID and text (I've tried the full www. etc link to the guid, as well as just the guid text info), and pressed Set. But nothing appears on my profile.

If I run the application again, there is nothing stored in the three boxes (Username etc).

I'm obviously doing something wrong, but what?

(I'm also new to Facebook as well, just to complicate things)

I must be doing something wrong here, as I can't get the stats to appear on my Facebook profile using Edgemasters application.

I installed the application OK, and put in the Username, GUID and text (I've tried the full www. etc link to the guid, as well as just the guid text info), and pressed Set. But nothing appears on my profile.

If I run the application again, there is nothing stored in the three boxes (Username etc).

Ditto.... doesn't work for me.

Oh odd.

I have an application to add geocaching stats to your profile here.

I only released it about 4 days ago, and it already has well over 250 users :angry:

Oh, I should add don't use facebook at work - some find it addictive.

It's easy to resist using 'facebook' at work. I just tried to have a look to see what you were all going on about and our system blocks it...

Not working for us either. :angry:

Not working for us either. :ph34r:

Finally sussed it.... in the GUID bit, delete every thing before the GUID. So it reads GUID=blah blah blah

Finally sussed it.... in the GUID bit, delete every thing before the GUID. So it reads GUID=blah blah blah

THanks, I've got it working now as well

Oops, that was due to a bit of broken code that slipped through, I fixed that last night.

It will work with just a link from your profile, it filters out all the rubbish and detects the GUID all by itself.

Thanks. Its working now :ph34r:

Not working for us either. :o

Oops, that was due to a bit of broken code that slipped through, I fixed that last night.

It will work with just a link from your profile, it filters out all the rubbish and detects the GUID all by itself.

Thanks. It's working now ;)

Edited by The Flying Boots

Yep, I'm a Facebook member but because I don't trust it either (and didn't like the way it trawled my email box) I am under my MSN name, not my real or cachers one :D If you want to add me email me through my profile and you too can waste some time at work and be bored confused annoyed baffled by all the weird and wonderful applications.

On the news today some researchers have disclosed that Face book is attracting more 'middle classes' and My-Space is attracting more 'working classes'. I suppose this might account for half of the Facebook people I know being part of a university network? :)

Now we need someone to work on a Geo-poke :):D:P