Explorist 500 Driver For Vista

My magellan color that I got for Christmas broke and magellan sent me a new Explorist 500 LE as a replacement unit. I thought that was extrodinary customer server BTW since it wasn't their fault it was broken and I made that clear to them. Now that I have the 500 I can't use it with my laptop. I need to be able to load the driver for it in NMEA mode for Microsooft Mappoint. When I attempt to load the driver in teh device manager, I point to the drivers directory on the cd, windows reports it found a driver and begins loading it then fails with the error "can not find the file specified" I called magellan and they said there is not a Vista compatible driver available but I thought I had read in the forums here that others have this working. if anyone has been able to get a driver to work for the Explorist 500 under Windows Vista please tell me how you did it. Mappoint is the main reason I got a GPS and I can not use it now.

My magellan color that I got for Christmas broke and magellan sent me a new Explorist 500 LE as a replacement unit. I thought that was extrodinary customer server BTW since it wasn't their fault it was broken and I made that clear to them. Now that I have the 500 I can't use it with my laptop. I need to be able to load the driver for it in NMEA mode for Microsooft Mappoint. When I attempt to load the driver in teh device manager, I point to the drivers directory on the cd, windows reports it found a driver and begins loading it then fails with the error "can not find the file specified" I called magellan and they said there is not a Vista compatible driver available but I thought I had read in the forums here that others have this working. if anyone has been able to get a driver to work for the Explorist 500 under Windows Vista please tell me how you did it. Mappoint is the main reason I got a GPS and I can not use it now.

I checked on Magellan's website and was told to call 1-800-707-9971 to get more info on the status of their Vista updates. I can tell you that I just talked to them and apparently they will have the Vista drivers on their website within the month. They've been working on it for the past 6-7 months but I guess they are confident in the one month timeframe. If you call that 1-800 number they will add you to the email list to advise you when the udpates are available and even call you to help you get them installed. Good luck!

I checked on Magellan's website and was told to call 1-800-707-9971 to get more info on the status of their Vista updates. I can tell you that I just talked to them and apparently they will have the Vista drivers on their website within the month. They've been working on it for the past 6-7 months but I guess they are confident in the one month timeframe. If you call that 1-800 number they will add you to the email list to advise you when the udpates are available and even call you to help you get them installed. Good luck!

Hi,

I have made available from my website a modified driver for the Magellan eXplorist 600 to run under Windows Vista. This is the link to the existing forum on the driver and the direct link to the driver. I don't know if it will work with the 500, but I can't see any reason not to give it a try. The driver for the 600 has been widely downloaded and from all accounts, working seemlessly. If the driver does work for the 500, could you let me know, so that I can update my forum for other 500 users. Hope this helps.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...n+explorist+600

http://www.avidinvestigations.com.au/files...ndows_Vista.zip

Edited by corlit

Awesome. I will try your driver this weekend. I actually tried the unit on my wife's XP laptop with magellans driver and it wouldn't work either. I am trying to use NMEA mode so I can use MS Mappoint but mappoint doesn't see the GPS.

Hi,

I have made available from my website a modified driver for the Magellan eXplorist 600 to run under Windows Vista. This is the link to the existing forum on the driver and the direct link to the driver. I don't know if it will work with the 500, but I can't see any reason not to give it a try. The driver for the 600 has been widely downloaded and from all accounts, working seemlessly. If the driver does work for the 500, could you let me know, so that I can update my forum for other 500 users. Hope this helps.

When I asked when the driver would be available I got a run around answer that it works with XP, and yet in my message I stated I run Vista, and all I wanted was a time frame.

Hi,

VISTA VISTA VISTA.....are there any WINDOWS XP Drivers..????????

Buy A GARMIN, Magellan is a descent GPS, but that is it, everything else, website, support, software ABSOLUTELY SUCKS.......

Hi,

VISTA VISTA VISTA.....are there any WINDOWS XP Drivers..????????

Buy A GARMIN, Magellan is a descent GPS, but that is it, everything else, website, support, software ABSOLUTELY SUCKS.......

i use the magellan explorist 500 with both xp and vista and it works fine