Canada - best maps

laxxe

It is not a simple question to answer.........

Metroguide Canada and Topo Canada have the same road data and is from SMTI Spatial.

City Navigator has different road data from NavTech.

The MG Canada maps are older (~5 years) but have more coverage outside of the cities. The CN maps are more up to date in the cities but lack coverage in rural areas.

For Geocaching Topo Canada should be your first choice. For road navigation City Navigator is better UNLESS you are mostly outside of teh cities.

Which map is the best/most detailed for Canada? I'm thinking of as many roads as possible, and turn-by-turn navigation.

The ones I can find, seems not to have all the roads in the cities (besides Vancouver).

I have all four and there are trade-offs for each. I find Metroguide Canada the one I use the most as it is most accurate (I have seen roads mis-labelled or out-of-position on City Select or N. America). It also has the most rural info - including roads and water bodies (even the smallest streams) and Parks etc. Topo Canada is quite close to MG Canada in roads and water bodies and landmarks but is missing all the bells and whistles, like businesses and services. City Select and City Nav have a more updated coverage of urban areas and POIs. There are many new subdivisions in it that are not on MG Canada but the coverage doesnt extend as far north nor are the back roads and water bodies as complete. Personally, if I was stuck with only one, I would select MG Canada.

Which map is the best/most detailed for Canada? I'm thinking of as many roads as possible, and turn-by-turn navigation.

The ones I can find, seems not to have all the roads in the cities (besides Vancouver).

I have all four and there are trade-offs for each. I find Metroguide Canada the one I use the most as it is most accurate (I have seen roads mis-labelled or out-of-position on City Select or N. America). It also has the most rural info - including roads and water bodies (even the smallest streams) and Parks etc. Topo Canada is quite close to MG Canada in roads and water bodies and landmarks but is missing all the bells and whistles, like businesses and services. City Select and City Nav have a more updated coverage of urban areas and POIs. There are many new subdivisions in it that are not on MG Canada but the coverage doesnt extend as far north nor are the back roads and water bodies as complete. Personally, if I was stuck with only one, I would select MG Canada.

Just bringing this up again.

I already have TOPO Canada, and I'm looking into more "road" centric maps. I find the autorouting on TOPO to be kind of wonky at times. I was thinking that since topo and metroguide share the same maps that the city navigator would be the way to go. For more rural routes, I still have the topo to fall back on. Plus, I'm not sure if metroguide canada v4 autoroutes? And if it does, then will it when it is upgraded?

thanks

As you surmise, there is not much point in getting MG Can 4 if you have Topo Can. Both auto-route and use the same road data.

City Navigator will get you more up to date road data and less routing errors in general.

There have been rumours of updates the MG and Topo, but only time will tell.