The new Hidden In Bushes Attribute

ventura_kids

We need one more attribute added to the list of choices on a Geocache Hide.

Please add an Attribute for

Hidden In Bushes

We need to differentiate between clever, nice, clean cache hides....

and those lousy bush hides.

(my opinion)

We geocache with a group that really, really would rather NOT dig thru bushes to find a geocache.

We are allergic to many plants.

We are concerned about sprayed poisons and pesticides in the bushes.

Therefore a Hidden in Bushes Attribute would greatly improve our selection of Geocaches to find.

Thanks !

note: no flames please.... just discussion.

Makes me no nevermind one way or the other. I assume when placing my hand in anything that anything could be in or on where I'm putting it. Once I had to retrieve a cache AFTER a muggle walked her dog and it leaked on the bush I need to retrieve it from. It's safe to assume even if I hadn't seen that at some point in time anther pet did the same thing. Try wet naps.

Hidden In Bushes

(my opinion)

We geocache with a group that really, really would rather NOT dig thru bushes to find a geocache.

Therefore a Hidden in Bushes Attribute would greatly improve our selection of Geocaches to find.

Thanks !

Hidden In Bushes

(my opinion)

"clean hides"?...sheesh...try a lamppost at wal-mart and stay out of the woods for heavens sake.

May I suggest wearing a bubble suit complete with self contained filtering system if you decide to wanter into the great outdoors? Other than that...limit your hunt to guardrails or parking lots.

I hate to burst the bubble you have yet to obtain...but woods and forests are FULL of BUSHES. Most have been sprayed by some sort of pestiside to prevent the proliferation of disease and pests...but in that respect, I wouldn't even venture in your own backyard. Stay inside. You might be safer. ;)

Thanks !

wouldn't this attribute give away the caches location? to me thats kind of defeating the purpose. I think wether its in a bush or not is is and/or should be accounted for in the umbrella of "terrain" and "difficulty".

on a side note, if a new attribute is added it should be: adressing the ligthing around the cache and if it is accessible at night. I have more caching time at night than during the day and there is nothing worse than going to a cache and finding out that the park is closed, etc.

wouldn't this attribute give away the caches location? to me thats kind of defeating the purpose. I think wether its in a bush or not is is and/or should be accounted for in the umbrella of "terrain" and "difficulty".

on a side note, if a new attribute is added it should be: adressing the ligthing around the cache and if it is accessible at night. I have more caching time at night than during the day and there is nothing worse than going to a cache and finding out that the park is closed, etc.

There already is an attribute for 'available 24 hours'. It looks like this '24/7'. With a slash through it, means not available 24/7. There's also the moon icon for recommended at night or not.

There already is an attribute for 'available 24 hours'. It looks like this '24/7'. With a slash through it, means not available 24/7. There's also the moon icon for recommended at night or not.

Righteous! honestly I've never looked at those icons. I always just looked at the size/terrain/difficulty stars. Thanks, Sioneva

I doubt you'll get a scrub hunt icon. One of Florida's long time cachers, and owner of the most hides, Ice Cream Man, has a sig line; "scrub hunts s**k, big time!"

That line, appearing over and over, has had some effect. Just calling a hide a scrub hunt is pejorative here. It may be too late for California, but you could campaign.

My thoughts are, just because it is a bush hide does not mean that it is typical. Most may be, but some may be different.

What would be the next step? If you did this then what about:

LPC attribute

In tree hole attribute

In hollowed log attribute

Evergreen attribute

I guess i would just wonder where it would end.

I'm confused.....if you took out all shrub hides, what would you have left? I understand there's in a stump, on the ground with sticks over it, etc. But it seems like bushes are a perfect place to hide a container, where you can even hide ammo cans in town. ;) I'm not sure how everything else is so much "cleaner" than bushes.

I have allergies to quite a few bushes, and will scratch for a while after looking for hides, and I may grumble a bit, but I understand that it's part of the hunt. Bushes work.

All these different attributes/requests are starting to get out of hand, in my opinion. Lets just go caching. :D

Edited by Ambrosia

We would also need attributes for:

• under a rock
  • under a pile of sticks
  • buried
  • magnet
  • velcro
  • next to train tracks
  • hanging in a tree
  • in plain sight
  • disguised as a doorknob
  • painted to match surroundings
  • not actually hidden yet (published too quick) :D
  • you get the picture

Well, maybe a couple of those conflict with the guidelines ;)

Honestly folks, if the hider really wants you to know these things, s/he can write it in the description.

I'm confused.....if you took out all shrub hides, what would you have left? I understand there's in a stump, on the ground with sticks over it, etc. But it seems like bushes are a perfect place to hide a container, where you can even hide ammo cans in town. ;) I'm not sure how everything else is so much "cleaner" than bushes.

I have allergies to quite a few bushes, and will scratch for a while after looking for hides, and I may grumble a bit, but I understand that it's part of the hunt. Bushes work.

All these different attributes/requests are starting to get out of hand, in my opinion. Lets just go caching. :D

HEAR!! HEAR!!

Y'all listen to the lady, she tells it like it is!

Urban hides are of 2 distinct types.

Bush hides and Non-bush hides.

The majority of hides in the city are NOT in bushes.

Every so often, a new cacher arrives and drops caches into big bushes.

The majority of these bush hides disappear as the bushes grow, and turn into geolitter....but that's another thread.

I just figured, if we have the Attributes for tiny populaces, like SCUBA,

we should have a "general" Attribute, like hidden in the bushes.

I too agree there are too many tiny, specific Attributes.

We would also need attributes for:

• under a rock
  • under a pile of sticks
  • buried
  • magnet
  • velcro
  • next to train tracks
  • hanging in a tree
  • in plain sight
  • disguised as a doorknob
  • painted to match surroundings
  • not actually hidden yet (published too quick) :D
  • you get the picture

Well, maybe a couple of those conflict with the guidelines ;)

Honestly folks, if the hider really wants you to know these things, s/he can write it in the description.

With enough attributes we can do away with the description. Reading, after all, is a dying art.

I'm confused.....if you took out all shrub hides, what would you have left? I understand there's in a stump, on the ground with sticks over it, etc. But it seems like bushes are a perfect place to hide a container, where you can even hide ammo cans in town. :D I'm not sure how everything else is so much "cleaner" than bushes.

All these different attributes/requests are starting to get out of hand, in my opinion. Lets just go caching. :P

HEAR!! HEAR!!

:D;)

The majority of these bush hides disappear as the bushes grow, and turn into geolitter....but that's another thread.

You know, it's possibly a regional thing. The ones in bushes here have done well I think, but it sounds like it doesn't work as well in your area. That's too bad.

I'm confused.....if you took out all shrub hides, what would you have left? I understand there's in a stump, on the ground with sticks over it, etc. But it seems like bushes are a perfect place to hide a container, where you can even hide ammo cans in town. :D I'm not sure how everything else is so much "cleaner" than bushes.

All these different attributes/requests are starting to get out of hand, in my opinion. Lets just go caching. :P

HEAR!! HEAR!!

You know, it's possibly a regional thing. The ones in bushes here have done well I think, but it sounds like it doesn't work as well in your area. That's too bad.

Nope. Doesn't work well with a micro... especially a bison tube painted green.

I just want a way to skip those.

A Bush attribute really would work.

I guess a Kablooey attribute would be on every cache too.

HEAR!! HEAR!!

Nope. Doesn't work well with a micro... especially a bison tube painted green.

I just want a way to skip those.

A Bush attribute really would work.

I guess a Kablooey attribute would be on every cache too.

Well, then it seems the thing you're having a problem with is micros/bisons in bushes. That's a bit different that regular size caches in bushes. :P

Hidden In Bushes

(my opinion)

Thanks !

Okay, here's what you do. If you have a group of people who want to avoid these types of hides, make a bookmark that IDs them. If you don't want it to be a spoiler, make a code name like George's Caches or something.

Gotta agree with the VKs.

Bush hides in the city are not fun at all. Micros in bushes are the worst.

Somehow, bushes in the city get soo much dirtier than the bush hides you will find along a hike. The 'bush hides' i've found in the mountains were fine. (for the most part)

I recently bushwhacked .75 miles one way through the thickest woods I have ever been in for a virtual cache, bugs and sticks down my shirt and scrapes on my arms and muddy feet and people have a problem reaching into a bush from a paved sidewalk?

I think we have enough attributes already!

We are concerned about sprayed poisons and pesticides in the bushes

Have you thought about using gloves, like the kind they use in hospitals, or the rubber gloves used in cleaning the kitchen or bathroom.

I carry latex gloves in my geo-pack just for instances like this.

The VKs probably remember from the hike they took five or six years ago that in So. California at least most hiking caches are hidden in bushes. It is clearly all those hiking cachers that have only seen bush hides that are ruining the VKs urban caching experience. They need to learn about using magnets or velcro to stick caches to the underside of benches or on the outside of a power tranformers. If you can't do that, at least leave the cache under the skirt of a lampost. Please do not make the VKs have to look in a bush. It reminds them too much of hiking :D

When giving attributes to a cache it should be telling the cachers something out of the ordinary about the cache. Someone a while ago suggested one for mosquitos. To me, that's like suggesting that an attribute that a cache is surrounded by breathable air.

So if you're suggesting an attribute, just remember - is it something that people either need to know, or something that is out of the ordinary.

Here's the reason I stated the above: A while ago, someone asked for a few attributes like "canopy tree cover" or "mosquitoes". I responded that we can't have an attribute about everything that might be of interest. Attributes need to be narrow enough to be meaningful, but broad enough to encompass many cachers and many caches. At the time, my sarcastic response was that we wouldn't need attributes for the following:

b5827a19-2ae0-4b53-803a-e196f193b49f.jpg Cache can be found while barefoot

9784edb2-248a-4914-ad5a-3498240a2fdb.jpg Cache placed by a Newbie

2e3835bb-2803-49c6-b766-12365e003375.jpg Tree roots nearby - watch your step

cdbad266-1653-454f-8741-8d0cb988c52f.jpg Cache is located within 2 miles of an arcade with a working Pac Man

The point being that these attributes are so broad that many, many, many caches would have them, so filtering means nothing.

The other thing to remember is that every cache can only have 10 attributes. What if my cache 1) allows Dogs, Bicycles, Motorcycles, Quads, Off-road vehicles, Snowmobiles, Horses, Campfire, is Recommended for kids, and Takes less than an hour, also has a Scenic view, is Available during winter, and has Parking available. As it is now, you have to choose the most important 10 attributes. Adding more would make those decisions difficult.

Just adding some thoughts...

When giving attributes to a cache it should be telling the cachers something out of the ordinary about the cache. Someone a while ago suggested one for mosquitos. To me, that's like suggesting that an attribute that a cache is surrounded by breathable air.

So if you're suggesting an attribute, just remember - is it something that people either need to know, or something that is out of the ordinary.

Here's the reason I stated the above: A while ago, someone asked for a few attributes like "canopy tree cover" or "mosquitoes". I responded that we can't have an attribute about everything that might be of interest. Attributes need to be narrow enough to be meaningful, but broad enough to encompass many cachers and many caches. At the time, my sarcastic response was that we wouldn't need attributes for the following:

b5827a19-2ae0-4b53-803a-e196f193b49f.jpg Cache can be found while barefoot

9784edb2-248a-4914-ad5a-3498240a2fdb.jpg Cache placed by a Newbie

2e3835bb-2803-49c6-b766-12365e003375.jpg Tree roots nearby - watch your step

cdbad266-1653-454f-8741-8d0cb988c52f.jpg Cache is located within 2 miles of an arcade with a working Pac Man

The point being that these attributes are so broad that many, many, many caches would have them, so filtering means nothing.

The other thing to remember is that every cache can only have 10 attributes. What if my cache 1) allows Dogs, Bicycles, Motorcycles, Quads, Off-road vehicles, Snowmobiles, Horses, Campfire, is Recommended for kids, and Takes less than an hour, also has a Scenic view, is Available during winter, and has Parking available. As it is now, you have to choose the most important 10 attributes. Adding more would make those decisions difficult.

Just adding some thoughts...

It appears that this would make for an interesting topic somewhere. Not flaming the original poster - just would like to see other "silly" or "semi-serious" attributes pictures. I thought these were hysterical!