Logging your find ?

Geo Cross

Signing the log (online or in the logbook) is your opportunity to express your thoughts about the Cache Owner's efforts creating the hide. Or your efforts finding it!

Howver, it is purely voluntary. You can always sign the log with your Cacher Name and something like TFTC ("Thanks For The Cache") or TNLNSL ("Took Nothing Left Nothing Signed Log") and move on to the next one.

Its your experience out there, define it as you like.

;) I want to be able to keep track of my finds, but I don't necessarily want to write a log each time I find a cache. Is there a way just to mark the caches I find and keep a record of all my cache found without

writting a log? Thanks

Yep, if you want to have gc.com do the Find tracking, just type in TFTC and submit.

Otherwise you'll need something else to do the tracking.

But I seriously doubt it's less typing.

;) I want to be able to keep track of my finds, but I don't necessarily want to write a log each time I find a cache. Is there a way just to mark the caches I find and keep a record of all my cache found without

writting a log? Thanks

You might find this post in our local Forums interesting. :D

Think of the cache as a "Gift" from the cache owner. Your log is the "Thank You Note" for that gift. Maybe some caches don't deserve a long "Thank You Note," but other caches might have involved an adventure. The cache owner would love to hear about what you went through to get to the cache, or the critters you saw on the trail, or anything else that happened along the way to signing the cache log. :D

Your logs on the caches are a good "journal" of your Geocaching adventures, or non-adventures. :P

Logs are the most efficient way of keeping track of finds. For example, when I return to an area that I've previously cached (which I'm already starting to do), I can use logs to filter out my previous finds and show only what I haven't found in the area. Lots of folks (particularly those who are in it for the numbers) create minimalist logs ("TNLNSL, TFTC").

Your logs on the caches are a good "journal" of your Geocaching adventures, or non-adventures

Not only that, logging finds online is the only way you can eliminate caches you already found from your pocket queries. I also like that checkmarks show up for caches I already found on my search page. Without that, I might find myself searching for the same cache multiple times,

writting a log? Thanks

There sure is.

Sign the cache log,then mark it down on your own personal log book in your pocket.Cache name,difficulty,terrain,date...that sort of thing.Maybe you could keep it on your comp.Even those who don't log finds online sign the cache log.It's the courteous thing to do.Logging online is not voluntary however.If there is some other way to do it I don't know.But your own physical log is the only way I see to do it.

Logging finds online is a great way to keep track of them. I also believe that since the owners spent the time and money to place the caches, the least we can do is log our finds and let them know we found them. It's the courteous thing to do.

Amen to that. I hate it when someone only writes "TNLNSL TFTC". Or when all their logs are the same cookie cutter info.

Logging finds online is a great way to keep track of them. I also believe that since the owners spent the time and money to place the caches, the least we can do is log our finds and let them know we found them. It's the courteous thing to do.

Amen to that. I hate it when someone only writes "TNLNSL TFTC". Or when all their logs are the same cookie cutter info.

True. I'm somewhat disappointed by those, but at least they are logging something. I'd rather see that than on log at all.

Frankly though, some caches deserve little more that "TLNLSL". I've entered logs that say little more than that and it's my way of saying "your cache stinks like dead clams in the July sun".

True. I'm somewhat disappointed by those, but at least they are logging something. I'd rather see that than on log at all.

Frankly though, some caches deserve little more that "TLNLSL". I've entered logs that say little more than that and it's my way of saying "your cache stinks like dead clams in the July sun".

Haha - I agree - I sort incoming log entries for the caches I've placed into a separate mailbox - I always look forward to when there are logs in there - it's interesting when people comment on the caches, or their efforts to find them. It makes it worthwhile!