...Slow Down, Please?

crtrue

The Dilemma: A local cache is so enthusiastic, he has had forty caches approved in the past month or so, all pretty much within four miles of one another. He gets them approved in bursts, types them in all caps, and they vary from modestly hidden to just stuck in a tree. He sees a parking lot as a good hiding spot and makes me want to cry for what I used to consider a grand place to find good, quality caches by a small group of locals.

Yes, I'm essentially venting. It's just frustrating to me to do a local search for new caches, and see nothing except this one person's quick tosses. He's doing it legally and they're all approved, so I can't complain about the rules, but it's still frustrating. Does anyone have any advice on how I can deal with this? Maybe meet with him and do some organized hides? Stop being such a jerk and just let the man and his kids enjoy their hids? Move to a more rural area and establish a basecamp? An "accident"?

... Stop being such a jerk and just let the man and his kids enjoy their hids?....

Dont' worry about it. Every cache that made the area such a grand place is still there. Those hiders have slowed down. If there are no good caches for you to find. Go place some good caches.

This falls short of a real dilema. A dilema is when your wife says "I need you here" as she's with her dying mom in Texas, when your own mom calls up and says "It's your dad, he's had a stroke" he's been taken to the University Hosptial and they live in Washington.

Edited by Renegade Knight

If he's placing that many they are most likely in poor containers that will need lots of maintenece, which he won't do. In a year or so he'll get tired of it and either stop hiding or stop caching altogether. I'd just ignore him and let him do what he wants.

This falls short of a real dilema. A dilema is when your wife says "I need you here" as she's with her dying mom in Texas, when your own mom calls up and says "It's your dad, he's had a stroke" he's been taken to the University Hosptial and they live in Washington.

That's no dilema, the mother in law already has her daughter, the dad needs his son. Wifey may "need" you but dad NEEDS you, so wifey will just have to understand.

The Dilemma: A local cache is so enthusiastic, he has had forty caches approved in the past month or so, all pretty much within four miles of one another. [...] Does anyone have any advice on how I can deal with this?

Seems to me that just ignoring him would be easiest.

Just don't get into a cache-placing race with the person. Then everyone loses. Perhaps pick the last couple of available spots in town and email the person and ask if you can please use those spots for some cool caches you want to place.

Sounds like you've got one of those folks that's trying to "claim" all available geo spots. And contrary to popular belief, there is a finite amount of spots in a given urban area before it's just parking lots and private property caches.

It still registers pretty low on the angst-o-meter.

Edited by Googling Hrpty Hrrs

The Dilemma: A local cache is so enthusiastic, he has had forty caches approved in the past month or so, all pretty much within four miles of one another. [...] Does anyone have any advice on how I can deal with this?

Have you tried contacting him and going caching with him? Maybe suggesting some of the areas better caches? It sounds like a little friendship might be just what the person needs.

Edited by Team GeoBlast
...Stop being such a jerk and just let the man and his kids enjoy their hides?...

You're most certainly not being a jerk. But I would suggest that you just ignore hides from this particular cacher if you're not interested in their type of hide. Some people (a lot of them), who are in it for the numbers, will probably appreciate a whole lot of easy grab-n-go's within close proximity to each other.

I, for example, tend to stay away from multi-caches if I'm out with my 5-yr-old because he just doesn't get the thrill of the multi-staged hunt. He wants instant gratification! ;)

In Dallas, around the Bachman Lake area, there was a series of caches placed specifically to boost numbers (GCJFMJ). They were very popular, until a large number of the series were shut down for various reasons... like nesting ducks.

Coming from the same area I can understand completely what the OP is saying. I do ignore the listings (for the most part). My concern (disappointment) is that because of these caches thrown hither, thither, and yon other caches that might provide a more satisfying hunt can not be placed because of the the 500ft distance between cache limit.

Coming from the same area I can understand completely what the OP is saying. I do ignore the listings (for the most part). My concern (disappointment) is that because of these caches thrown hither, thither, and yon other caches that might provide a more satisfying hunt can not be placed because of the the 500ft distance between cache limit.

Methinks if those spots were so great that there already would be a cache sitting in them. If not, the 'You snooze, you lose' rule applies.

(This is one of those rare situations where I really wanted to use the 'loose' misspelling.)

Edited by sbell111

Have you tried contacting him and going caching with him? Maybe suggesting some of the areas better caches? It sounds like a little friendship might be just what the person needs.

Nothing new here that isn't quoted in the two above posts. But contacting them, and inviting them out caching is an excellent idea, ignoring them the easiest.

Of course I'm sure there's an endless parade of "find anything anyone throws anywhere and calls a cache" cachers, so he'll likely not even notice a few people ignoring the hides.

Nothing new here that isn't quoted in the two above posts. But contacting them, and inviting them out caching is an excellent idea, ignoring them the easiest.

Of course I'm sure there's an endless parade of "find anything anyone throws anywhere and calls a cache" cachers, so he'll likely not even notice a few people ignoring the hides.

Perhaps because I cache on an island my view is a bit skewed on this particular topic. But I am going to go out on a limb and say that most cachers do the majority of their caching within a certain distance of where they live or on their own island so to speak. I believe that like minded individuals (cachers that put out quality hides and like to find the same) can make a difference in that defined geographic caching circle if they are willing to develop best practices. The reason this doesn't happen in a lot of places is that this takes a concerted and somewhat organized effort. Let's face it, educating and nurturing new cachers is not as fun as caching itself.

This thread was started asking for advice to contact an exuberant cache hider and ask him or her to curb their current pace or hiding method. I'm not sure how you do this without coming off as judgmental and holier than thou. I think the answer is to put the energy forth to develop a local geoculture that encourages quality hides. Promoting those hides and directing new cachers towards them, telling new cachers about local forums where these hides are discussed and praised, having events and befriending these new cachers, organize group caching expeditions to quality hides are all practices that will promote this culture. Telling people that their hides suck no matter how diplomatic you do it, is not a long term solution.

Edited by Team GeoBlast