First Aid Kits!

Premade?

Do it yourself?

I need a first aid kit. Obvious rules apply. It needs to be sufficient to administer aid, but also needs to be lightweight, and have a relatively small footprint.

I'm all for making one myself if that's the best thing to do... but if there are pre-mades that are sufficient without being unbearably large, I'd be willing to consider them too!

List of must haves?

Suggestions? Thoughts?!

Thanks -

michelle

I would say "do it yourself" but I would suggest starting with a small pre made one to get the basics and perhaps the pouch or container. Look for sales at REI or one of the mail order discount camping places.

I had one I used for 30 years, it was like an old friend but it was stollen with some other stuff last fall. :laughing::laughing: and I still haven't made up a replacement. The pre-made ones all seem too big but buying the contents separately is expensive so a basic kit to start with is a good idea.

I wish I had some pictures of my old one to show you. It was perfect.

Edited by MtnGoat50

I bought one from sierra trading post for around $16. I found that some items I didnt need and there were other items that I thought I should add. The bag itself is nice and also waterproof, so I just built on what initially was in the bag with items I grabbed from work. Bag packed with all items is a little over 1lb. I am sure there are some items that I still need to add and I am also sure there are items in there that I dont need depending on the trip. So I ask you, so you feel there is anything I need to add or anything you feel I should take out? Listed are the contents of my first aid kit:

1. 3 pair nitrile gloves

2. ice pack (it gets cold once broken and compressed)

3. triangle bandange

4. gauze bandanges and rolled gauze

5. butterfly bandages

6. mole skin

7. 3M clear stretchy adhesive bandages

8. neosporin

9. alcohol pads

10. betadyne swabs

11. advil,ibuprofin, vicodin, percocet

12. safety pins

13. tweezer, scissors, and hemostats

14. dental floss --> recently replaced with needle and thread

15. small metal splint

17. medical tape

IMG_0679.JPG

IMG_0683.JPG

Edited by jfabes

My first-aid stuff has changed considerably over the years. I don't carry so many special-purpose bandages or ointments, because I realized that I never used them anyway. I just wash small wounds and let clotting do the rest. I carry a small sliver of antibacterial soap for the purpose; antiseptic wipes aren't good for removing dirt and debris. If a wound needs protection, I have laundered bandanas and duct tape. Recently added Super Glue for suturing after a successful trial at home on a wicked split toe.

The only "medical" items I carry are simple OTC drugs: Ibuprofen, aspirin, Benadryl and caffeine tabs, plus suncreen and bug repellent.

Your first-aid supplies should consist of items that you might need and know how to use. Look for ways to substitute multipurpose items for specialized ones. Learn how to do common stuff, like taping a sprained ankle. And make sure that you carry items that address your particular needs. For example, the Benadryl I carry can be taken orally, or mushed into a paste with water and applied topically. I'm terribly allergic to some mosquito bites, and have seasonal allergies, so a gram of pills gives me a lot of potential relief.

Oh, and carrying a spare pair of socks (and maybe some duct tape) beats all the moleskin in the world for foot troubles.

If you carry a couple of band aids you will be prepared for about 90 percent of all first aid events. (OK the percent is made up but you know what I am saying.)

I use a decon kit that has a couple of band aids, some aspirin and super glue in it. So far it has covered all of my needs. I bought some red and white reflective tape used for signage and covered the kit with white tape with a red cross on it. It is attached to the outside of my daypack.

I primarily use a premade from REI that I added some custom or more frequently used items to. You can probably get similar ones from the usual (cheaper) suppliers. I especially like the fingertip and knuckle bandaids, lots more ibuprofen (those old sports injuries coming back to haunt me), extra moleskin and "second skin" (good for blisters or minor burns). I do like having the "never used" items like triangular bandage, etc. for back country excursions - just in case. I figure if I have it with me I'll never need to use it.

Anyway, I like the premades because its a nice assembly of items, and when I bought mine it was a slightly cheaper initial investment.

I started with an Adventure Medical Kit, Camper 100 model. This specific model is no longer listed on the Adventure Medical website, but they have similar items.

Into the same pouch I was able to fit the following items:

• Travel size TP
  • Windproof lighter
  • Magnesium fire starter/flint
  • Coghlan's snake bite kit
  • 2" x 3" mirror
  • UTM grid reader tool

With all the extras, the kit weighs 20 ozs. Also, based on much info here, I could probably take out the snake bite kit, since their practical value seems to be negligible.

Edited by gnbrotz

I started with an Adventure Medical kit...don't remember the name, but it was one intended for short-medium length trips with just a few people (not one of the mega kits intended for big groups or big trips).

Some of the items, I tossed. There's a lot of redundant bandaging in there. I've taken CPR/First Aid so I have a good concept of what I really need, and that's what I carry. I keep a selection of OTC medications that I keep current. Ibuprofen, Tylenol, Aspirin, Benadryl, considering adding some Imodium. I keep a pair of tick tweezers and a vial for ticks (to check for potential lyme in case of an extended attachment).

Verse yourself on first aid. Take a course and get yourself certified. After that, either read up on wilderness first aid or better yet, take a course and get yourself certified.

ONLY CARRY WHAT YOU ARE QUALIFIED TO USE!!!! I hear of people carrying serious stuff...suture material, major prescription drugs (just in case...not talking about stuff regularly taken for an existing condition), major dental repair stuff, and all kinds of things. Most of these people aren't qualified to use these things, and could find themselves in major legal troubles if they render that kind of aid to someone.

All the reading I've done on the subject indicates that snake bite kits are more or less worthless. I think the Sawyer one is the ONLY one with any potential merits, but you have such a small amount of time in which to use it, again it's typically not worth it. Snake bites are so rare in the first place, it seems more worthwhile to educate yourself on how to avoid being bitten in the first place, and how to react just in case it happens. Especially in most of the US and Canada, you're unlikely to encounter anything lethal to an adult.

I added a small swiss army knife to mine that has a blade, tweezers, a toothpick, and scissors.

I agree with mtbikernate, carry what you are qualified and know how to use. I carry a very basic first aid kit on me, few bandages, Benadryl pills, antibiotic cream. My big kit has much more, but is also left in the truck. Since I cache with three other paramedics and two RN nurses, we have supplies in our kits that most don’t carry or are they qualified to use. It is nice to have 500ml of NS, but if you can’t start an IV, doesn’t do you much good.

Plus, you need to be realistic to the area that you are going to be caching in. If help is only 15 minutes away, then you need a lot less. If your hiking 20+ miles in the woods and you are talking a few hours before help can arrive than carry additional stuff.

As far as snake bite kits go, I wouldn’t waste the time or money. At least here in the mid-west, we have the rattlesnake, cottonmouth, and copperhead. The variety we have typically causes local necrosis in the bite area and systemic effect that causes some people to get sick. Vary rarely do these bites lead to death, more likely to cause lose of the extremity that was bitten. The two bites I have treated were both rattle snake bites and outcome was fine for both gentle with nothing more than some scarring around the bite.

Take a first aid course and get familiar with how to avoid getting hurt. Those two steps are probably more important than what to carry in your kit.

I’ve got a 50 cal ammo can painted red loaded with just about everything when I take the kids tent camping. Momma is a bit fussy and packed it for us – she is all concerned & everything but won’t go out with us – that’s another thread.

I’ve wandered way off topic but out of the monster first aid box the most commonly used items are “sample packs” of Neosporin, and various other salves & ointments for bug bites and icky plants. The sample packs are the size of a large band-aid, speaking of band-aids, I’d leave them out and just use a small roll of duct tape & some gauze – better than nothing – have enough to go around your leg 2X (can be used as a make shift tourniquet). Aspirin or an equal substitute, some other "useful pills" in the blister packs, a solar blanket, a whistle (not much you can do if you break your leg so start blowing). I honestly don’t think I’d take anything else for a day hike, I would adjust for a longer hike, where I was going and who I was under my care.

I would start with a premade one only because it is easier . A cheap start is the walmart one. But there are certain things I would add immediately- namely an ace bandage and moleskin (or ducttape if that is your fancy). More "hip" choices are the Adventure Medical Kits. For both options, the size and makeup will depend on whether you intend it to be your personal kit or a group kit.

I agree that the best thing to do is buy a ready made one, then just add or remove what you don't want. I keep a small one in my pack that I modified, making sure that I did leave some things for emergency wound care, not just bandaides.

I just came across a small first aid kit from a safety supply house I deal with that I'm going to start using as swag. It's small, waterproof and has most of the basics. You can carry it in your pocket, or it even has a key ring on it. I'm going to talk to my rep and see what kind of price I can get on them buying a couple dozen of them. It's something that I think a lot of cachers would like to find!

I bought a pretty expensive one, but it did come with a 2006 Xterra! ;D

Premade?

Do it yourself?

I need a first aid kit. Obvious rules apply. It needs to be sufficient to administer aid, but also needs to be lightweight, and have a relatively small footprint.

I'm all for making one myself if that's the best thing to do... but if there are pre-mades that are sufficient without being unbearably large, I'd be willing to consider them too!

List of must haves?

Suggestions? Thoughts?!

Thanks -

michelle

I bought a pretty expensive one, but it did come with a 2006 Xterra! ;D

I just bought one of those a couple weeks ago, except it's a 2005. yes, it's a very expensive first aid kit, but how many kits come with their own ambulance? :unsure:

I've enjoyed this thread, I'm in the process of putting together a backpack and a car first aid kit myself. (Well, adding to the X's kit)

Edited by DocDiTTo

Along with the normal stuff, I carry some small rope in case I have to tie some sticks around a broken limb for a splint. (words of experience).

I carry a small roll of duct tape for that, plus its other many uses. I took a bunch of the tape off the regular roll and rolled it around a small dowel to save space.

Edited by seattlegeekgrrrlz

Along with the normal stuff, I carry some small rope in case I have to tie some sticks around a broken limb for a splint. (words of experience).

I carry a small roll of duct tape for that, plus its other many uses. I took a bunch of the tape off the regular roll and rolled it around a small dowel to save space.

I do the same thing with gaffer's tape (fancy duct tape) but I wrap it around my hiking pole. I wrap several feet of two different sizes and it has come in handy many times. Plus I generally have it with me, even if I don't have my pack.

Premade?

Do it yourself?

List of must haves?

Suggestions? Thoughts?!

Thanks -

michelle

Here's a good list worth looking at:

http://www.clmrg.org/ManCh3.html#FA

(In addition to items mentioned above) Small, metal signaling mirror and a whistle.

hwyhobo is right but those items should be on the 10 Essentials list.

A small first aid kit is part of th 10 E's.

Indulge me, Michelle and take a look at my list:

Ten essentials*

1. Compass- for backpacking. Doesn’t have to be expensive.

2. Water- 1 liter Nalgene bottle is ideal

3. First Aid kit-small and basic. Should include some latex gloves

4. Trail Food- Granola Bars, GORP, Trail Mix, etc

5. Matches- 10 or so, water proofed, wooden

6. Flashlight with extra batteries

7. Poncho- plastic disposable type

8. Garbage bag- large, plastic

9. Signal Mirror

10. Knife- Swiss army or Leatherman type.

Should be small but have one or two blades.

11. Parachute cord- or thin, strong rope. 25 to 50 feet.

12. Whistle- for signaling

13. Writing material- small slips or pad of paper and pen or pencil

14. Toilet Paper- less than half a roll

15. Quarters- 4 Twenty five cent pieces for an emergency phone call

16. Duck Tape- small roll

17. A plan- tell someone where you’re going and when you should return.

* This list is not necessarily complete and can be modified depending on the season and other conditions.

These items should go into your day pack or backpack on every hike or outdoor adventure.

Everything except the water bottle should be able to fit into a small stuff sack or 1 gallon zip lock bag.