Map problem

Kidatheart

Hmmmm. . . :angry: What browser are you using?

I get the map using Opera, but it looks like some functionality has been removed, vs. the old map (Show Archived) ?. :angry:

Using Firefox I don't even get the map or the list of caches . . . :angry: I don't normally use Firefox and don't have the latest update . . . maybe the update will change that problem.

If I am not looking to identify the caches on the map, it is not indicating were the caches are unless they are a ? or virtual. Is this a user error problem or website problem?

We just noticed the same thing (we're using Firefox 2.0.0.4).

We were looking at a cache in New Zealand where one of our travel bugs is, and then we clicked on the "Geocaching.com maps" link to see the nearby caches. They were almost all mystery caches, plus a couple of letterbox hybrids:

83116f17-746f-49c1-92c3-fd61a22e2655.jpg

We wondered if they were all part of a series, or if kiwis just really like puzzle caches :angry: , so we clicked "identify" in the middle of the map. The resulting list of 25 caches included 5 of the mystery ones that had shown up on the original map, plus twenty traditionals and multis that had not:

92d12f08-e38e-4880-939d-7065501f481c.jpg

Then we tried the same thing at our home coords, and saw the same type of results.

My neighborhood in Oregon has the same problem: it shows only question marks. The "list archived" option works fine, though ... maybe Miragee wasn't logged in as a premium member?

[And to try to forestall the next few posts: yes, I know I can generate all sorts of wonderful maps with pocket queries and third-party tools, and I know about the Ajax geocaching/Google mashup. But I really like the ancient maps.]

My neighborhood in Oregon has the same problem: it shows only question marks. The "list archived" option works fine, though ... maybe Miragee wasn't logged in as a premium member?

[And to try to forestall the next few posts: yes, I know I can generate all sorts of wonderful maps with pocket queries and third-party tools, and I know about the Ajax geocaching/Google mashup. But I really like the ancient maps.]

I agree with you--the geocaching.com maps behave very nicely for quick skimming around to see what is available that you haven't already done. I dislike the way the Google maps you get when you click on the "map it" feature show random caches as you move about. Of course, if you move in close, so there are fewer than 20 caches, they all show up, but I want to know where the clumps of caches are in the big view. It I wanted "random caches" I'd just point and click at random.

The test? Pretend you are going on a trip, and want to try to route yourself through the most cache dense parts of towns--then pick a large city you don' tknow very well. Try figuring out which part of town is the most cache dense with each of the maps. For me, the gc maps are the fastest way to see where the density is greatest. Caches along a route are great things, but if I can take the northern route around a big city and pass 50 more caches than if I take the southern route, that's 50 more chances to find something really cool to see or do on my trip.

I dislike the way the Google maps you get when you click on the "map it" feature show random caches as you move about.
What Google Maps? They switched to Yahoo Maps. Anyhow, mine seems to be working fine...

There appears to be some confusion here. Yes, the map on the cache page which shows the individual cache location is a Yahoo map. However, the new version of the online Geocaching.com map which list and displays all the nearby caches is a Google map product.

I too have noticed the missing caches on the old Geocaching.com cache map but assumed it was all part of the process to phase out this map and change over to the new Google map format. I lament this change... :laughing:

Edited by Indotguy

I agree with you--the geocaching.com maps behave very nicely for quick skimming around to see what is available that you haven't already done. I dislike the way the Google maps you get when you click on the "map it" feature show random caches as you move about. Of course, if you move in close, so there are fewer than 20 caches, they all show up, but I want to know where the clumps of caches are in the big view. It I wanted "random caches" I'd just point and click at random.

That's exactly why I never use the google maps -- I have no idea how many caches aren't showing up on those, so they are pretty useless to me. I really really like the old geocaching.com maps.

:D

So they ARE taking away the GC.com maps? We use them much more so than the Googlemaps. Google is nice for panning around but for checking regional densitys (20+ caches) the old map rocks. We always printed it out for our cache roadtrips.

The "Geocaching.com Maps" will continue to exist as far as I know. The maps server is being restarted right now so hopefully that'll resolve the icon issue.

<_<

So they ARE taking away the GC.com maps? We use them much more so than the Googlemaps. Google is nice for panning around but for checking regional densitys (20+ caches) the old map rocks. We always printed it out for our cache roadtrips.

The "Geocaching.com Maps" will continue to exist as far as I know. The maps server is being restarted right now so hopefully that'll resolve the icon issue.

Which map link do i click to look at these? I get so frustrated trying to use the yahoo and google maps because they only display caches about half the time. I get the little "working" icon more than i do the caches. On top of that, when caches do show up, they move around on the map without me even doing anything.

This is in reference to the "Geocaching.com Maps". You will see this option to the lower-left side of every cache page.

After i posted i went back and found the right link. I still however, miss being able to click on the "view map" link near the top and it bring me to the geocaching map like it used to.

Another question: Does the "view map" link near the top and the lower displayed map (when you click it) bring up the same exact google map? This is the one that doesn't seem to work well about half the time for me. <_<