Deleting Your found caches

hisgrace1

I don't delete the Geocaching waypoints on my GSPr until after I get home from a day of caching and download my Tracks and Waypoints from the GPSr to the Mapsource maps on my computer. I save that file with the day's date and location. As I log my finds for that day of caching, I can look at the Tracks and see the little open Treasure Chest icons and know which caches I found, in exactly which order.

After that is done, I delete the Geocaches, Geocaches Found, and any other special waypoints I may have created that day from the GPSr so it is ready for a new set of caches to find. :angry:

I don't delete the Geocaching waypoints on my GSPr until after I get home from a day of caching and download my Tracks and Waypoints from the GPSr to the Mapsource maps on my computer. I save that file with the day's date and location. As I log my finds for that day of caching, I can look at the Tracks and see the little open Treasure Chest icons and know which caches I found, in exactly which order.

After that is done, I delete the Geocaches, Geocaches Found, and any other special waypoints I may have created that day from the GPSr so it is ready for a new set of caches to find. :angry:

When I said "Yes" above I meant "Yes" after I log them online. :angry:

I either keep the found caches (marked as open treasure chests) on my GPSr until I've logged the finds or I note the finds on my PDA program CacheMate and ignore the newly found caches on my GPSr - doing a mass deletion at the end. There's no rules but it is quicker to let your GPSr keep tabs on where you've been (if you're into numbers and want to cut off seconds from each find).

BTW, you'll have to delete your finds sooner or later. You'll need that extra room for all the new adventures. :angry:

When I said "Yes" above I meant "Yes" after I log them online. :angry:

I know someone who deletes them as soon as he finds the cache . . . :angry: That is just a tad too soon for me . . . :angry:

Are you supposed to delete the caches off your GPS after you have found them?

We used to delete just after finding.... once we went to a cache - through some apartment complexes to a trail, around a hillside, through a forest. By the time we were headed back to the car - we kind of lost track where we exactly started. Got back to the apartment complex, then the street - and no car!! Hmmm, where or where did we park?? Had to look at the paperwork for "suggested parking", and put that back into the GPS to know what direction to go. :angry: NOW!! I try to remember, no deleting until we are safely home. :angry:

We used to delete just after finding.... once we went to a cache - through some apartment complexes to a trail, around a hillside, through a forest. By the time we were headed back to the car - we kind of lost track where we exactly started. Got back to the apartment complex, then the street - and no car!! Hmmm, where or where did we park?? Had to look at the paperwork for "suggested parking", and put that back into the GPS to know what direction to go. :angry: NOW!! I try to remember, no deleting until we are safely home. :angry:

Lesson re-re-re-learned... Mark your CAR!!! :angry: (Been there. Done that. Got the tee shirt.)

On the other hand, you could always mark the car before you leave it. I manage to do that about half the time. It depends on how fast I want to get to the cache. On an FTF, all bets are off.

Lesson re-re-re-learned... Mark your CAR!!! :angry: (Been there. Done that. Got the tee shirt.)

Why didn't I suggest that?

On the other hand, you could always mark the car before you leave it. I manage to do that about half the time. It depends on how fast I want to get to the cache. On an FTF, all bets are off.

:angry: Yeah - I cannot recall how many times we are off and running - -- - and 10 / 15 minutes into the woods - remember that we "should" have marked the car. DOH!! Thank goodness one of us has a VERY good internal compass. I sooooooo don't want to be the people found lost in the woods WITH a gps in hand. :angry::angry::angry:

I've used my track to find my way back.... :angry:

Hey I'm a poet and I didn't even know it! :angry:

When I dash to find that cache

and forget to mark my spot

lost in the jungle I will not

for if it wasn't for waas

to cover my aas

I could not use my track

to get me back

Sorry, it's late and I'm tired.

What I do - Is when I find a cache, I take the GC1234 number and change the First 'G' into an 'F' ( Found ) .

After I log the find, I sometimes delete the found 'FC1234' type entries

Also, I have learned through bitter experience, to make a 'MOB' entry when I leave the car.

What I do - Is when I find a cache, I take the GC1234 number and change the First 'G' into an 'F' ( Found ) .

After I log the find, I sometimes delete the found 'FC1234' type entries

Also, I have learned through bitter experience, to make a 'MOB' entry when I leave the car.

Garmin MAPS60 will move found caches to calendar, I can move through the year and see which caches I found on what dates. MAPS60 also differentiates between caches and waypoints, very sweet little GPS.

I was about to mention that the many GPSrs have "man over board" feature (to help you sail back to the point where the dude fell overboard) and that this can be a good way to mark were you left your geomobile...

...and then it suddenly occurred to me what "MOB" meant...duh... :laughing: