Swapped GPS

I was teaching a GPS/Geocaching class to local youths via a Library program last weekend. One of the kids had a GPS identical to one of my 5 (I know - it is some kind of disease).

We accidently traded GPSr's. It took me about 2 seconds after I fired it up to realize it wasn't mine and switched back.

Just wondering - have you ever done the same while Geocaching? at an event?

How long till you figured it out?

Never. I really only know one other person who has a unit similar to mine. He has a 76CS and I have a 76CSx. I don't know that any of the other local cachers have the same unit I have.

The startup screen on my unit has my name and phone number and offers a $50 reward if found.

My husband and I both use Garmin Legends. I travel on business a lot and took his with all the Montana stuff loaded on a trip to California. It was pretty useless. Right after that I marked mine with pink nail polish so the confusion would not happen again. This was in 2004 I think.

When I recently got a new Garmin we went on a trip to CA and loaded different caching areas into each of the GPSrs. I had not marked mine before we left so we didn't know which GPSr covered each area... until I dropped mine and scratched the glass. We can tell the difference now. :ph34r:

-J

I think I would notice right away. I have all my settings just like I want them, plus I export my caches with GSAK and they have custom tag settings, so I'd see the cache info being off. Another thing I put on it is a lanyard off of a Jumpdrive, so that would be something to set it apart as mine.

Well I just have an old magellan GPS Blazer12 that has no pointer,

and only gives me 2 numbers after the decimal point.So needless to say

I dont think ANYONE uses one other than me

Its Getto,I know...Dont laugh

:unsure: wow. couldnt help it. only 2 decimal places??????

You let other people hold your GPS? :lol:

Do you have permission to hold my ... GPS?

:unsure:

I don't think it would take long to notice that I didn't have my very own GPSr. It is my name, nick and phone number that show up on the intro screen, after all. Prior to getting a replacement unit, my buttons were worn differently than the other folks who had them - their 'in' and 'out' buttons were worn (shh) and my 'enter' button was unreadable.

The biggest thing re: mine .vs. everyone elses that I've cached with seems to be the alarming LACK OF noise that mine emits compared to others. I have all of the sounds turned off except for the turn warning/destination alert that occur when driving. Other than that, my gps doesn't make a sound.

It's humorous to cache with a group and listen to everyone enter coordinates on the fly... but only for a few seconds. Then I just want to ask everyone if they know they can turn their sounds off...

michelle

Hadn't thought about this problem. But I ran a piece of yellow tape across the back of my Garmin 60 CSx, which seems to be the most popular unit out there. Hopefully, that will keep it from getting mixed up. Now, if I could only find something to keep me from getting mixed up! :unsure:

We accidently traded GPSr's. It took me about 2 seconds after I fired it up to realize it wasn't mine and switched back.

Just wondering - have you ever done the same while Geocaching? at an event?

Hmm no I don't think I've ever done that. Of course thinking about it I've only seen one other Garmin V while at events, and that one was brand 'shiny button' new :) . Seen lots and lots of Garmin units around, including some II or IIIs but only one V, weird.