Do all hikers & backpackers have missing toenails?

Drives me crazy. :ph34r: I LOVE hiking and will do it regardless of occasionally ruining my toenails by hiking a steep trail. :grin: But with all the cute summer sandles, arrrghhh! I found myself regreting that hike back in February. The one that because my knees hurt with every step down, I just began "dropping" my feet in front of me (slamming my neatly trimmed nails into the front of my hiking boots). :ph34r: About a month ago the two ruined nails finally came off.

Great news though, I found some press on nails and am happy in my flats again! :ph34r:

Jeepers! :ph34r: I've only lost one toenail in my life when I was closing a garage door, missed the handle and tried to keep it from slamming to the gound by catching it with my foot! Ouch! I second what was said by MarcusArelius about a proper shoe fit. And if you are "slamming" your feet down because you are tired then using hiking poles can also help by relieving the strain on your legs.

Here's where I offer a different approach that may be worth trying. This may sound counterintuitive to a lot of folks but hiking sandals could go a long way toward solving your problems, especially the open-toed styles that still have a solid anchor to the footbed. My personal sandal of choice is the Teva Terra-Fi. They will definitely "free your feet" but they put the onus on you to BE CAREFUL! If you're tromping around now with boots on, you CAN NOT walk the same way with sandals due to the added risk of scrapes from sticks and briars. You will have to be more diligent about picking your feet straight up and putting them straight down without dragging them along - mostly while off the beaten path. As someone who hikes barefoot a great deal of the time, this is a normal gait for me. It will slow you down a little but I have never, ever, not even once had a problem with lost toenails, blisters, scrapes or punctures! Either way, do what works for you and enjoy your hike...

I've lost one, caused by a piano. Moving it, and the other guy pushed hard at the wrong time, and it came down on my big toe. I've never come close to toenail damage from hiking or climbing, and my rich uncle, named Sam, sent me on many, many all-expense-paid hikes over the years. If you're damaging your toes, you need better-fitting shoes. Bigger is better, and wearing tight-fitting shoes will cause problems.

Your boots are either not fitted right or you are not lacing them properly.

When you go to buy boots, wait until mid-day to try them on - your feet swell and you should fit to that. NUMBERS MEAN NOTHING when trying on boots. How they FEEL is everything.

You ought to be able to shove a finger between your heel and the boot when you shove your foot forward. You need that "slack space".

Then when you lace your boots, try tightening up the upper part of the boot, around your ankle. This is how you can adjust the lower and upper seperately: lace the lower part of the boot a tiny bit loose. (Too loose and your foot will slop around and you'll get blisters in other places.) Then when you get to your instep, tie a triple over hand knot - as if you were going to put a regular bow know, just do the first step, but go around an extra time. Tighten it firmly but not to discomfort. Now complete the lacing and be pretty snug about it and tie it off at the top as you usually do. This will keep your foot towards the back of the boot.

And when you go downhill, tighten the top laces even a bit tighter, to keep your foot from banging in the front.

I've NEVER had any toenail go missing. Yikes.

Edited by ATMouse

Marcus Aurelius just gave the best advice possible.

I have to agree with everyone else here, if your toes are hitting the end of your boots, you need better fitting boots. I had a pair of boots that I loved, but I always had this problem and I just assumed that it was a necessary part of hiking. Of course, I had just bought them off the shelf because I knew what size I wore. When I wore those out I bought my next pair from a shop that insisted on fitting me, and I am so glad I did. I found that with properly fitted shoes I no longer had this problem and my hiking experiences have been much better since.

As MA said it is also important to make sure your nails are well-trimmed before you go hiking, it is amazing what a difference it makes. Trekking poles will help as well, by helping to shift some of the weight bearing burden to your arms.

As far as sandals are concerned, I hike in them all the time in the summer, and they are right you have to totally change the way you hike if you don't want to end up with battered and bloody feet, but it does feel great. I often will pack a pair of lightweight sandals on longer hikes so I can wear them around camp or wading in mountain streams, but if my feet are bothering me, I will switch into them for short periods to give my feet a break from my boots. I have three styles that I normally wear:

the standard Teva strap-on sandals, which are great, lightweight and they pack easily.

I also wear and love my Keen surf shoes. They are fairly lightweight, feature a toe guard and dry out reasonably quickly.

I also have a pair of Chaco sandals with the toe loop. They have a heavy vibram sole, but the toe loop adds stability which makes these my favorites for hiking in sandals.

Of course, whenever I hike in sandals I just assume that I am going to get some stray briers in my toes and that I will occasionally smash them on rocks, part of the price of sandal hiking.

Anyway, hope that helps.

I think your problem is poorly fitting boots. Your toes should not be slamming into the front when walking downhill.

If buying new, properly fitted hiking boots is not an option, there are some lacing techinques that might be able to help. Check out the boot heal lock lacing method to keep your heel in the heel pocket.

Edited by briansnat

I think your problem is poorly fitting boots. Your toes should not be slamming into the front when walking downhill.

If buying new, properly fitted hiking boots is not an option, there are some lacing techinques that might be able to help. Check out the boot heal lock lacing method to keep your heel in the heel pocket.

Ummm...isn't this what I said? But I like pictures better.

Sorry, didn't see your post. Just read the OP and answered.

I'm SO glad I posted this topic! Sounds like a bunch of great advice.

The lacing techniques will be the first thing I'm going to change. I've always trimmed my nails as short as I could. But I've only used one pole and will go get two trekking poles to improve the stress on my knees. I suffer from ITBS and am working to minimize that. I think the two trekking poles will help.

Edited by Oreo Pony

Sorry, didn't see your post. Just read the OP and answered.

It's a hoot that we all answered so closely...

And I STILL like your pictures better!!

I lost two toenails after one particularly cold and arduous hike.

Yes, it was b/c my nails were too long, and yes it was b/c my boots didn't fit me so well on that particular hike.

My caveat's were that it was post-summer and I USED to let my toe nails grow a little longer so they could be all painty and summery and stuff.

Never again.

The boot issue was b/c I put the feet warmers in my boots in the wrong spot (they don't work so swell for me in the 'right' spot)...

Low and behold, that 10 miles of downhill was a beeee-atch and a couple of weeks later I was missing a couple of nails.

It was a cool process though. I've never lost anything quite like that before. They didn't bruise. And eventually they just separated from under the nail itself and remained attached at the sides.

I'm a LOT more careful now... and still wear the same boots.

michelle

As a result of hiking 12 miles to earn a smiley at The Upper Yough Trek, I lost two toenails. Reason: While crossing the small creek at the ghost town of Kendall, mentioned on the cache page, I lost my balance on a rock and dropped my GPS into the water. I jumped in and retrieved it (though the antenna was ruined). Although I had a change of socks, I did the remaining 9 miles of the hike in wet boots. On top of that, I have club toes so I walk on my toenails all the time anyhow.

Those black nails were an ugly sight until they dropped off!

I lost two big toe toenails once after a big 12 mile roundtrip hike. My boots were ill fitting, and had a bad tread. I was pretty ignorant back then and didn't realize what to do before a hike and for a hike. As everybody else has mentioned, get into the right kind of shoe or boot for the style hiking you'll be doing. Trim your toenails about 3-4 days before the hike. This is to give them time to have dull edges so you don't cut into your nice new smart wool socks that you should be wearing. When you do buy your hiking boots or shoes, wear the socks you intend to wear on the trail. Make sure your foot has room to slip no more than 1/2" without hitting the toe of the boot. No matter how you tie your laces, your foot will still slip and you need that space to protect your big toe. ATMouse uses a good standard to work with, but with boots that lace up, that's hard to do. Places like REI have test hills to push the shoe/boot to see if it does fit properly. Use it.

Soles are a big issue. Vibram is the most popular on natural trails. If you expect to walk on boardwalks a lot, then you'll need a softer sole for grippy support on wet boards... particularly when the parks start using synthetic boards like what I ran into this past weekend. If you're going to insist on Vibram when you hit wet boardwalks, just remember not to over extend as if you were on a standard sidewalk or you will slip and pull a groin.

Inserts help when the shoe/boot doesn't have much inside to offer support or when they are starting to break down and you're looking to extend their life a little bit more. Most sports stores now offer special inserts for the active hiking style and can be fitted specifically to the style footwear you chose and your foot.

Water proofing your boot/shoe will also extend your footwear life. I bought mine as water proof (Northface?) boots and they have served me well without any further treatment for the last 1.5 years all-season use.

Check out the boot heal lock lacing method to keep your heel in the heel pocket.

I will vouch for this lacing method. Just like what ATmouse and Briansnat stated, a very good lacing method to keep your heel in the heel pocket. I use this technique for my hiking boots and with my crosstrainers for playing sports such as racquetball. I also use Sorbothane insoles for better cushioning and support. Another thing that worked for me to avoid the toe ramming into the end of my boots was to purchase them a 1/2 size larger than my everyday shoe. Add an extra insole for cushioning and good to go. I also highly recommend Smart Wool socks. My favorite Smart Wool sock is the medium weight hiking sock, they are a bit spendy but worth it. Best way to get properly fitted is by knowledgeable staff at an outdoor shoe outlet. Our local Vasque dealer is awesome. :o

As to an answer to the toenail question, yes I am missing both my big toenails, permanently! <_< I chose to have them removed by a podiatrist about 5 years ago and they will never grow back because the doc also applied root killer medication. After suffering from numerous infections for many years, it was the best way to go. No regrets, and it makes a great conversation piece when wearing my sandles! :unsure:

Ah, I was wondering when somebody would chime in with the toenail-lost-to-infection issue. I recently performed home surgery to remove about half of a fungal big-toe nail. With much of the nail gone, and with liberal application of Fungicure, the stubborn fungus that I've had for almost 20 years is clearing out.

Glad to know that there is life after toenails. If my home remedy doesn't work, I may consider it. I asked about the TV medication. Doc rolled his eyes and said, "You'd better have good insurance. It costs about four grand." I do have good insurance, but I wouldn't spend four grand to fix an ugly toenail, not even the insurance company's four grand! Not to mention incurring even the tiniest risk to my liver. That's what Martinis are for.

As for downhill damage: Switch to dry socks before a descent, and snug up your boots to prevent feet from slipping to the front. Keeping nails trimmed and smooth is also excellent advice; I've had toenails get blackened from square-cut edges catching on socks.

Ah, I was wondering when somebody would chime in with the toenail-lost-to-infection issue. I recently performed home surgery to remove about half of a fungal big-toe nail. With much of the nail gone, and with liberal application of Fungicure, the stubborn fungus that I've had for almost 20 years is clearing out.

Glad to know that there is life after toenails. If my home remedy doesn't work, I may consider it. I asked about the TV medication. Doc rolled his eyes and said, "You'd better have good insurance. It costs about four grand." I do have good insurance, but I wouldn't spend four grand to fix an ugly toenail, not even the insurance company's four grand! Not to mention incurring even the tiniest risk to my liver. That's what Martinis are for.

As for downhill damage: Switch to dry socks before a descent, and snug up your boots to prevent feet from slipping to the front. Keeping nails trimmed and smooth is also excellent advice; I've had toenails get blackened from square-cut edges catching on socks.

I guess it depends on the extent of the nail issues. I do know someone who has a LOT of trouble with their toenails and while I don't think anyone has ever broached the topic of removal, when I mentioned this thread... and why one might have it done I got a 'wow, that's a great idea' type of a response.

I know when my nails have been gone my toes aren't any more sensitive than they are with the nails there. Fingers, on the other hand? At least my toes are protected 9 months out of the year.

:o

michelle

I guess it depends on the extent of the nail issues. I do know someone who has a LOT of trouble with their toenails and while I don't think anyone has ever broached the topic of removal, when I mentioned this thread... and why one might have it done I got a 'wow, that's a great idea' type of a response.

I know when my nails have been gone my toes aren't any more sensitive than they are with the nails there. Fingers, on the other hand? At least my toes are protected 9 months out of the year.

michelle

Yep, I was really surprised that the now-exposed portion of the skin beneath the nail is not overly sensitive. Past toe- and fingernail injuries had programmed me to think that this area would be very painful and vulnerable to injury. Not the case.

I am hoping that the nail grows back normally, though.

michelle

Yep, I was really surprised that the now-exposed portion of the skin beneath the nail is not overly sensitive. Past toe- and fingernail injuries had programmed me to think that this area would be very painful and vulnerable to injury. Not the case.

I am hoping that the nail grows back normally, though.

It might! Good luck with that. That's a long time to have trouble with your nail!

When my nails were damaged and fell off a couple years back, by the time they were gone, there was zero sensitivity in the nailbed itself. An odd, but very nice thing!

michelle

It might! Good luck with that. That's a long time to have trouble with your nail!

When my nails were damaged and fell off a couple years back, by the time they were gone, there was zero sensitivity in the nailbed itself. An odd, but very nice thing!

michelle

Thank you. If anyone from Hallmark is reading this thread, take note: There is an untapped market for Hope your toenails grow back soon! cards. :o

This subject has taken a strange turn, but what the heck. I have the same fungal nail problem, and as a diabetic I was concerned about it. When I asked my endocrinologist about it, she suggested applying Vick's Vapo-rub to my feet and the nails every night. I thought she was crazy, but it seems to work, my nails have cleared up considerably and she assures me that it will keep athlete's foot at bay as well.

This subject has taken a strange turn, but what the heck. I have the same fungal nail problem, and as a diabetic I was concerned about it. When I asked my endocrinologist about it, she suggested applying Vick's Vapo-rub to my feet and the nails every night. I thought she was crazy, but it seems to work, my nails have cleared up considerably and she assures me that it will keep athlete's foot at bay as well.

I tried the famous Vicks cure, but the fungal crud was too well protected by the remaining nail. Lots of people swear by it, though. And the menthol in the Vicks felt nice. My current favorite foot balm is Miracle Foot Repair cream with aloe. I do barefoot windsprints in deep (and currently hot) sand, and the aloe helps with recovery. There's a little mint or something astringent in the cream that contributes a pleasant cooling sensation.

:rolleyes: LOL! Yah, this thread did take a wicked turn after I threw a curve ball. The response that I usually get is why would anybody intentionally have there big toenails removed by choice. After many visits to the foot doctor to treat ingrown toenails, it was the best thing to do. The usual treatment was to remove the edges, but this time was the whole enchilada. :angry: I was also given the choice of letting them grow back or inject a root killer that will make them never grow back. I chose the never again. I really don't notice any difference while hiking, but I did notice there is less wear on my Smartwools! :unsure:

...The usual treatment was to remove the edges, but this time was the whole enchilada. :rolleyes:

Oof, I've had some awful stuff under my toenails, but an enchilada...ay chihuahua! Yep, removing it was the right thing to do.

Seriously, thanks for the firsthand info. It's been an eye-opener.

The only time I lost a toenail was when my uncle dropped a manhole cover on it while trying to retrieve a ball that fell down a drain. I've hiked a good deal in life and never lost any toenails from that......(not too many manhole cover out in the woods) I always make sure to have snug proper fitting boots. I agree that is the issue along with too long of toenails.

I guess it's time for an update: I had the troublesome toenail permanently removed last August. My two regrets are (1) that I didn't do it sooner, and (2) that I didn't get the other big toenail removed at the same time.

My FIL had some of his toenails removed last summer... no regrets from his camp either. I was tempted to step on his toes shortly thereafter tho...

michelle

My FIL had some of his toenails removed last summer... no regrets from his camp either. I was tempted to step on his toes shortly thereafter tho...

michelle

Wow, that's cold-blooded! :( I managed to drop a large rock on mine a few days after the removal, and it stung a bit. Even after it healed, it took some time to toughen up. It felt kind of sensitive to minor bumps and bruises. That gradually faded and now it's trail-rated, just in time for barefoot running season.

Drives me crazy. :D I LOVE hiking and will do it regardless of occasionally ruining my toenails by hiking a steep trail. :D But with all the cute summer sandals, arrrghhh! I found myself regreting that hike back in February. The one that because my knees hurt with every step down, I just began "dropping" my feet in front of me (slamming my neatly trimmed nails into the front of my hiking boots). :D About a month ago the two ruined nails finally came off.

Great news though, I found some press on nails and am happy in my flats again! :laughing:

Funny I should come across this thread today. Just this morning I was looking at my feet and realize I have ALL of my toenails and none of them are BLACK. I thought 10 good toenails means only one thing, it is time for a hike!! I lose some of my nails easily. My shoes fit great, I even lose them if I hike in sandals, not sure why they go but they do.

Ha! Funny that this thread should resurface now--I just had the other big-toenail removed. I did this hike on a day that was too hot, too humid and bruised my remaining big-toenail pretty thoroughly. (Wet feet are a contributing factor to toenail injuries). This gave me the excuse I needed to go back to the podiatrist and get the nail permanently removed. Since the nailbed was already separated, this one came off quite easily.

If you have issues with your toenails and are thinking about permanent removal, my advice would be DO IT. It's been a year since the first removal and I've been extremely happy with the results.

How does hiking make your toenails turn black and fall off? :rolleyes:

Being someone who hikes and has ten perfectly painted pink toenails, reading this thread made me throw up a little.

I'm sorry, but it did.

Does it count if all mine are tacked to the wall? :)

I'm working on a bruised little toenail now

Edited by TotemLake

Ha! Funny that this thread should resurface now--I just had the other big-toenail removed. I did this hike on a day that was too hot, too humid and bruised my remaining big-toenail pretty thoroughly. (Wet feet are a contributing factor to toenail injuries). This gave me the excuse I needed to go back to the podiatrist and get the nail permanently removed. Since the nailbed was already separated, this one came off quite easily.

If you have issues with your toenails and are thinking about permanent removal, my advice would be DO IT. It's been a year since the first removal and I've been extremely happy with the results.

Both of my big toes get hangnails, due to previous toe injuries. Removing the toenails completely sounds like a viable solution to my misery.

Both of my big toes get hangnails, due to previous toe injuries. Removing the toenails completely sounds like a viable solution to my misery.

With the kind of rough hikes you do, you might benefit. My experience has been that the removal solves problems with foot comfort that you didn't know you had.

My medical plan has a huge deductible and views podiatry as only slightly more legit than aromatherapy, so I had the procedures on a cash basis. The doc did the initial consult and followups free and gave me a 20% discount; worked out to a touch over $300 per toe, plus bandaids during the recovery.

Make an appointment with a podiatrist, show him your feet, and see what he can do for you.

Funny I would be reading this old topic for the first time today. I did my most recent hike with toenails that were apparently too long because I had the ramming issue and today both of my big toes are black and I expect to lose the nails.

This is the second time this happened to me after a long hike, the other being back in September of 2006. Since I use the same hiking boots on all of my hikes I couldn't figure out what was different about these two hikes that caused me to lose nails, but I now suspect it is the failure to make sure the nails are trimmed first.

there is a real simple cure for nails infected by fungus (yeast). it is real simple but takes quite a long time. actually just a little while longer than it takes the nail to grow from cuticle all the way to the point it is clipped. the reason is the fungus is hunkered down in the nail bed.

the solution is to clean the feet once in the morning and once at night removing as much derbis around and under the nails. applying a drop of vinegar afterward at the cuticle and under the nail from the top is the secret. what this does is put the skin to an acidic state. if this is done on a daily basis the nail sould grow out healthy within 6 to 9 months (depending on how fast yours grow).

vinegar is one of those wonder cleaners, handy to have whenever one encounters questionable environments such as at the health clubs. a spritz on the feet after stepping out of the public showers or used as a handy... wash. about the best way to clean fruits and vegies too before a meal.

hope this helps!

Edited by slidegear

I'm shuddering while I read these posts. Gah.....smashed, squashed, bruised and battered toes. The mental visual is giving me with willies!!

An easy way to rid yourself of the athletes foot fungus is using the juice from a green walnut hull. The stain will wear off shortly but not having the constant itching is well worth it Anything you buy from the store takes weeks.

Just my two cents.

I'm shuddering while I read these posts. Gah.....smashed, squashed, bruised and battered toes. The mental visual is giving me with willies!!

An easy way to rid yourself of the athletes foot fungus is using the juice from a green walnut hull. The stain will wear off shortly but not having the constant itching is well worth it Anything you buy from the store takes weeks.

Just my two cents.

Another cure comes from the movie Platoon. Not sure I'd willingly go after that one though. ;)

Having played thousands of competitive basketball games in my life, I have had this issue. No matter what type of shoe or socks I have tried I have had a cycle of toenail loss. It is always the the toe beside my big toe on each foot. It is caused by that toe actually being longer than my big toe. So it constantly make contact with the toe of my shoes. It starts with mild pain. Thne the nail turns black with lots of pressure under the nail and lots of pain. Then results in a dead nail with a new one growing underneath. The process generally takes about two months and goes in a cycle. Since my knee replacement due to military injury though, my b-ball has slacked off so now it happens maybe twice a year.

The majority of toenail losses I've seen have been due to peoples toes sliding into the end of their boots, in a properly fitting boot that has been laced correctly this should NOT happen! A boot fitter in a good outdoor store will be able to advise on boot fit and lacing.

Knees hurting, your knees take 4 times as much abuse walking downhill as they do walking uphill, a pair of trekking poles will really help, use 2 rather than one to keep your gait straight, they add another 2 points of balance as well as removing some pressure from your knees.

Missing toenails? Not sure how this would happen.

- Hiked 74 miles in the Smokies across about 7 days w/o any missing toenails. This would include probably an elevation gain of 10,000+ feet.

- After hiking 22 miles in the Grand Tetons and ruining a pair of shoes ThirstyMick did not lose any toenails. Even afterward when she hiked a few mountains with new non-broken in shoes, no missing toenails.

Sounds like you may need a trim and use socks :ph34r:

Missing toenails? Not sure how this would happen.

- Hiked 74 miles in the Smokies across about 7 days w/o any missing toenails. This would include probably an elevation gain of 10,000+ feet.

- After hiking 22 miles in the Grand Tetons and ruining a pair of shoes ThirstyMick did not lose any toenails. Even afterward when she hiked a few mountains with new non-broken in shoes, no missing toenails.

Sounds like you may need a trim and use socks :rolleyes:

That's making a big assumption. Sometimes it is a trimming that's needed but not wearing socks? Where'd you get that from? A lot of times this happens, new hikers don't understand the dynamics of going down hill and don't have the right style shoes or they are too loose if they are the right style and the hikers don't take the time to adjust the laces.

Btw, my boots were finally replaced last October after almost 3 years of service. I replaced them with the same brand/model boots. Haven't banged a toenail out yet since I started wearing the right style.