claiming FTF

If people are sooo concerned about actual FTf's then why don't cache hiders put a extra special personalized one of a kind signature item in a new cache and only the person who picks up that item is the real FTF.

I know some tournament caches that are like this.

Hmmm, there IS already an extra special personalized one of a kind signature item in every new cache and that is the FTF's signature in the logbook. :angry:

If people are sooo concerned about actual FTf's then why don't cache hiders put a extra special personalized one of a kind signature item in a new cache and only the person who picks up that item is the real FTF.

Just because FTF sharks get into feeding frenzies doesn't mean cache owners need to use chum. :angry:

Just because FTF sharks get into feeding frenzies doesn't mean cache owners need to use chum. :angry:

:angry:

I see no problem with being frustrated and even ranting a bit on the page....but how on earth can you claim a find on a cache that you didn't find? You left a new cache there and that's a "find"? :blink:

I guess I should quit being puzzled by all of these new "games" out there. Smileys for everyone!!!! And nice of the owner to leave such an obviously bogus log.

I'm just sayin', the guy has never once posted to these forums, and probably never even looked at them, as the majority of accounts created have in fact never looked at them. Like for example, the overwhelming majority of people who log the annual Wisconsin geo campout attended 60 times have no clue there's even a controversy, and are just doing what everyone else does. :huh: So you know, a "monkey see, monkey do" sort of thing. He's probably been offered finds on caches by owners that he didn't actually find many times. Don't get me wrong, dropping a piece of paper at your zero and claiming FTF is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, geocaching wise. :angry:

Maybe its the ink or all OOOs :angry::(:angry::angry:

I wouldn't let it worry me :D

know back to the thread

I'd say your the FTF

Edited by vagabond

Me thinks I just found a sutable replacement for the ol' sig line quote. :angry:

[...I've gotten into email sparing matches with two who have been members for about 6 months but who have racked up 4 or 5 times my amount of finds. ...

Most folks like that are nothing more than a flash in the pan.

Yah. I know. I'd like to see them try caching with a preschooler, a toddler and a baby on one's back. :angry:

Oh... I need that for a signature!!! Or better yet - a Tshirt!

regardless of how or why, if you do not find the cache, not only can you not claim FTF, but you cannot claim it as found. not tenth find, not four hundred and eighteen. you didn't find it.

if you want to go off in a snit because you're certain you would have found it if it were properly hidden, feel free to do so in your DNF log. inconvenience and trouble do not entitle you to a find. YOU HAVE NO ENTITLEMENT.

i'm a FF whore and a numbers whore. i have been on trails with no gloves and no flashlight at eleven at night and seventeen below to get a FTF. i have searched the same little patch of forest for seven hours straight after having dashed out the door in the morning without so much as having brushed my teeth. i have leapt out of bed at five on a february morning to drive across the state in a snowstorm and completed the cahe at a run. i carried a pair of speakers up a mountain on a cold winter night so when my group found the container, i could play "we are the champions".

i have found everything i have claimed to find. there are a few caches that i have claimed not to have found that in fact i did find, but that's kind of another set of stories, eh?

but here's the thing: if someone (and i am resisting the temptation to apply a label), claims to find caches they hae not found, there is no recourse other than for the cache owner to delete the found log. in the larger scheme of things, it simply doesn't matter much. i have my integrity, you have yours, and none of us think much of the poser's. apparently they sleep nights, and so what?

I dunno, wrong Datum set on the GPS for NEFF?

That's what I was thinking....

Magellan users can have this issue. Even with the right datum.

??? My Magellan works as well as my dad's 60CX (we've tested)....

What issue?

Simple Magellan hatin' is all.No issue. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I've hidden plenty caches with my Magellan. Magellan and Lowrance owners don't seem to have a problem finding them. It is always the Garmin owners that whine. :laughing:

And so many judge cachers by their find count :laughing:

One of them got FTF on two of my caches and took an "ftf prize" that I had left not for ftf but for the person who felt it call to them. Talk about greedy. The other cache, they had to ask me for a hint on how to find it when they were pratically stepping on it. I found out later that they are bad for demanding hints from everyone.

That is why I wait to put the best swag in my caches until after I see a FTF log. It is hard enough getting people to trade even so why should all the good swag go only to the FTF. Some FTFers treat this a contest and feel that they have a right to take an item as prize and not trade for it like normal. The FTF hounds get their prize by being the FTF. I don't need them draining my caches of the best swag too.

That is why I wait to put the best swag in my caches until after I see a FTF log. It is hard enough getting people to trade even so why should all the good swag go only to the FTF. Some FTFers treat this a contest and feel that they have a right to take an item as prize and not trade for it like normal. The FTF hounds get their prize by being the FTF. I don't need them draining my caches of the best swag too.

Hmmm...you got gears turning with that idea...(Yes that was the smoke you saw) :laughing::laughing::laughing:

What issue?

It's likely more of an older Magellan issue. The same thing that makes them wander less under tree cover and causes the boomerang effect seems to muck up coordinates if you don't let them settle in long enough when marking your cache location. Noobs don't always do that.

What issue?

See my post above. If you let your magellan settle (I've see this issue with the sport tracks. Newer ones may not have the 'issue'.)You won't see a problem. It's not so much a problem as it is how the GPSs work differently.

Edited by Renegade Knight

...Simple Magellan hatin' is all.No issue. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Simple observation. Most of my magellan experience comes from caching with Night Stalker when he had a sport track pro. I have a GPS V.

I've seen the pro's and cons of how both GPSs operate. There are advantages and disadvantages to each.

A magellan advantage. Less wandering under tree cover. The same things that causes the boomerange effect appears to keep you from wandering around so much. My garmin would bounce me from point to point while the Magellan kept to a tighter circle. Some attribute this to better receptoin but...we were able to figure how to really check the Sport Track's reception (after it didn't have any and reported that we should go the wrong direction...but that's another adventure) we found that there was no noticable real world difference.

Nobod had a problem with Night Stalkers caches placed using the Sport Track. But we both tend to put our down and let them average while we hide the cache. They get 5-10 minutes of averaging.

...Simple Magellan hatin' is all.No issue. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Simple observation. Most of my magellan experience comes from caching with Night Stalker when he had a sport track pro. I have a GPS V.

I've seen the pro's and cons of how both GPSs operate. There are advantages and disadvantages to each.

A magellan advantage. Less wandering under tree cover. The same things that causes the boomerange effect appears to keep you from wandering around so much. My garmin would bounce me from point to point while the Magellan kept to a tighter circle. Some attribute this to better receptoin but...we were able to figure how to really check the Sport Track's reception (after it didn't have any and reported that we should go the wrong direction...but that's another adventure) we found that there was no noticable real world difference.

Nobod had a problem with Night Stalkers caches placed using the Sport Track. But we both tend to put our down and let them average while we hide the cache. They get 5-10 minutes of averaging.

Joke RK...just a joke... :laughing: I do notice on my new 60cx that it wanders like a mofo if I stand still and it has poor reception.I wanted to try an XL,but no one was convincing me in the thread I started that magellan was woth trying.Might still try one anyways.

What issue?

See my post above. If you let your magellan settle (I've see this issue with the sport tracks. Newer ones may not have the 'issue'.)You won't see a problem. It's not so much a problem as it is how the GPSs work differently.

Ah. The "averaging" function perhaps. I still use my ColorTrak and find that it does fine for me, but I've been using it since they first were introduced - the "first 3-color GPS unit"... lol

Edited by conradv

you have exposed a stupidity. claiming FTF means nothing. come to think of it, BEING FTF doesn't mean much either.

i'm a FF whore and a numbers whore. i have been on trails with no gloves and no flashlight at eleven at night and seventeen below to get a FTF. i have searched the same little patch of forest for seven hours straight after having dashed out the door in the morning without so much as having brushed my teeth. i have leapt out of bed at five on a february morning to drive across the state in a snowstorm and completed the cahe at a run. i carried a pair of speakers up a mountain on a cold winter night so when my group found the container, i could play "we are the champions".

:rolleyes: Apparently it means a lot to some people.

Edited by DudleyGrunt