GSAK and mapsource questions

jfabes

I can create and send/recieve tracks, routes, and waypoints using the mapsource trip and waypoint software correct? With the plugin I can download caches directly to my garmin. My garmin will mainly be used for hiking, fishing, camping, on road autorouting...........and occasionally geocaching. So my question is why would I need to pay for GSAK when the mapsource trip and waypoint software will send/recieve tracks, routes, and waypoints? Basically GSAK is a powerful cache management tool as another user stated. Caching is not my priority with this garmin so why would I need GSAK?

My second time asking this and only one person chimed in the first time and I didnt even understand what he was attempting to convey dunno.gif So please someone respond and help me out.

Edited by jfabes

If the mapsource products do everything you want, then you don't need GSAK. Seems pretty obvious.

GSAK does not replace the tools you mention, it adds to them.

My experience is that when I get a PQ of cache information, then there is always stuff in there that I can't use and don't want in my GPSr. With GSAK I can select just those items that I want. I can send them to a varity of devices and software packages. Do you love printing out reams of paper, only to toss most away before your next outing? With GSAK you can make more efficient printouts, set yourself up to go paperless if you have the equipment; load geocache symbols onto just about any map. GSAK also retains old logs and accumulates them as you load more data over time. I find having more than 4 logs quite useful. There is tons more. Anyway, you can test it all you want for free; so why spend a lot of time asking about it when you can just try it.

GSAK is most useful to people who become Premium Members so they can create Pocket Queries.

I have probably 3000 caches in several different databases in GSAK. If I am going caching in one direction or another, I can get fresh PQs, then filter, slice, and dice the data just the way I want for that cache outing, or that road trip. :ph34r: Then, I can Export for Cachemate on my Palm so I can cache "paperless." Then, to make sure I have the correct caches in my GPSr, I Export to my Mapsource maps and/or Google Earth and study their location and access points.

GSAK is well worth the $25.00 registration fee . . . if you need it or want all of its functionality. Obviously, if you don't think you need it, it isn't going to be worth the registration fee . . . :ph34r: