How's Your 10-Mile List Going?

vanm

There's about 270 active caches within a 10-mile radius from home. I had once again gotten the list down to under 20 caches, but then CondorTrax had to fill in some empty patches! (Before that, it was Old Navy loading up another nearby area - but I solved that problem for the moment).

I am coming to the conclusion that it is impossible to clear the 10-mile list.

Or maybe I need to move somewhere far far away from other cachers?

Anybody else having trouble keeping their local area clear of unfound caches?

Lessee About 44 unfound on my list. Five kayaking caches (Maybe when my sister comes to visit?) Two cemetery caches (Don't do those!) Three terrain 4.5 or 5. Nope. I don't climb 45 feet up trees.

I'll probably put on my 'ignore' list those by people who move caches after you find them.

That should cut me down to thirty to search for!

For me, the number of unfound caches that are 10 miles or less from my home coords is 68 -- this includes Member-only caches that I cannot access or log. With new ones popping up all the time its tough to image ever clearing out the perimeter entirely.. and even if I did some day, I'm sure it would not last long since I'm smack in the middle of central-Jersey suburbia. Kudos to anyone who can pull it off!! Good luck vanm! (FYI - watch for the 4 or 5 new tough puzzles that GerIRL plans to release in the Watchung Reservation soon!)

:P

"10 miles as the crow flies" for us includes places that are often twice as far or more by car because of waterways and bridges, like New Jersey and Queens and western Nassau County in Long Island. Would 10 mile lists count that or only what is 10 miles of driving?

I don't have exact numbers, but I know we've done a majority of the caches within 10 miles of home that do not involve a bridge. The ones we haven't done are either DNF's to be vanquished one day; or are too tough terrain-wise to take the little geo-kiddies to yet.

I commiserate with you, HaLiJuSaPa. My caching partner's Ten-Mile List includes all of Manhattan, a large portion of Queens, and parts of Brooklyn and the Bronx. We've made a few forays into the outer boroughs at $15 in tolls for the bridges and tunnels, not to mention driving and parking problems. Hey, we're Jersey boys!

Guess that's the advantage of living in a rooral ;-) area. Only 51 caches in my 10mi. radius. 11 we haven't done - a few of those 11 are paddle-tos that we are not equipped to find! We own 1 cache in our 10mi. radius. We generally keep our 10mi. clear - but it's getting too hot and too tick-y to be looking for caches!

Edited by Evil Chicken

I'm kind of the opposite. I don't worry about keeping a radius clean around my home or office. I like traveling and caching! My average cache find is 471 miles from home, and well over half my finds are outside my 100 mile radius.

But just for fun, I peeked. There are 205 caches within 10 miles of me. I've found 126 and I own 19, leaving 60 undone.

Edited by The Leprechauns

Guess that's the advantage of living in a rooral ;-) area. Only 51 caches in my 10mi. radius. 11 we haven't done - a few of those 11 are paddle-tos that we are not equipped to find! We own 1 cache in our 10mi. radius. We generally keep our 10mi. clear - but it's getting too hot and too tick-y to be looking for caches!

Actually for a major urban-suburban area, our 10-mile is pretty sparse, about 100 caches or so. Lots of variety in a short distance as to what 10 miles covers, I believe if one does 10 miles from southern Brooklyn it's even sparser (because there's few caches in the borough though it seems to be growing lately and a lot of the radius at that point is ocean), but much greater as you get into New Jersey and Long Island (don't know much about the latter but basing it on mac1961's 286 number). I guess it may have to do with those areas having more population than Westchester and Fairfield counties.

Also, if I look at 10 miles from where I work (just south of Peekskill, yes there's less population than southern Westchester but at least nowadays it's still more suburban than rural) it's even less and I think if it wasn't for geobernd and jonboy there'd be very few hides up there (at least outside of the Bear Mountain area across the bridge).

Some rural areas are amazing though. Next week we're spending a few days at a "weekend home" my in-laws own in a part of northeastern PA that is fairly rural (it's a good hour's drive past the big Pocono resorts though it's near a couple of small cities like Berwick and Hazleton) and their 10 mile radius is actually almost as cache rich as our home one! As an example I learned that there's a town called Rock Glen nearby that I think has just a few streets and maybe 1000 people and there are 6 caches by 3 different hiders right within the town! (and only 1 is an "urban micro" among them!).

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa
I'm kind of the opposite. I don't worry about keeping a radius clean around my home or office. I like traveling and caching! My average cache find is 471 miles from home, and well over half my finds are outside my 100 mile radius.

But just for fun, I peeked. There are 205 caches within 10 miles of me. I've found 126 and I own 19, leaving 60 undone.

My phylosophy is very similiar. Although, I would say my avereage find is about 30 miles from home.

I took a look at my 10 mi radius and was surprised by the results.

144 Caches, 108 found, 33 owned, leaving 3 unfound.

I decided to look at my GSAK database to get an idea of all caches including archived.

238 total, 165 found, 55 owned, 15 unfound, 94 archived. (3 archive before any finder & 1 archived before I started caching)

There are 170 caches within 10 miles, and there are 62 that I have not yet found.

Of those, 43 are across the Hudson River in Westchester, 1 is disabled, 1 is an event that has passed, 10 are in

New Jersey, but are on the to-do list, 2 are brand new, 5 are long hikes that we haven't had time for but will eventually go look for.

Edited by tadpole379

Pnteresting how many are within 10 miles compared to others:

I have 244 caches within 10 miles of eastern Passaic County, NJ. Within those wp miles are the Ramapo Mountains (thanks for the caches Brian) the meadowlands, and the Johnny Rotten caches. Lots of things to see and do. I like traeling to, but as I have only lived in New Jersey I like people taking me places near my house that I have NOT seen.

Of the 244 I own about 20 and have 72 that I have not found.

Of the ones that are left:

6 are BrianSnat caches

6 are Team Catahoula caches

3 Team Perrito Blanco

3 viking 66

3 are johnny Rotten

so it is a nice mix.

The other "home" I have is in central Wisconsin. There I have only 27 caches within 10 miles of homebase (yes that is a density of 0.86 cahces/per mile). What a contrast to New Jersey.

I have found (searched for) all but 8.

I lived there for 20 years. Of the ones I have found I had previously visited/seen only a third of them before caching. There was a huge ravine within the 10 mile radius that no one in my family, circle of friends or my parents circle of friends had ever even heard of! In fact most people (in this flattened part of the word) believe that it exist! we recommended to them they start geocaching to get out of the house and see what is in their backyard.

10 mile list? You guys have a 10 mile list?

Guess that's one of the few benefits living in urbania :laughing:

My closest is 10.2, but it's CJ's, under her own account.

Guess if I ever get desperate enough for a smilie count, I'll do maintenance on it on the way to mine and remove that one too.

:laughing:

At one time I had my home radius cleared to 12.4 miles ~ a quick look and I see I have 104 caches within 10 miles of me. Where there was one cache in a nice spot there are now 4 more 500 feet in different directions. There are lots more micros too, but just within 4 miles there are small containers. Apart from 2 I DNF regularly, the nearest 10 were all placed in 2007 :laughing:

thee are 174 caches in a 10 mile radius of me. However there is a 3 mile wid stretch of the Hudson River about 1/2 mile from my home, and I live almost equidistant between 2 bridges. Of those I've found all but 2. One is an earthcache that requires a boat and I just haven't gotten around to the other.

Be caareful about boasting about "clearing your radius". A new England cacher frequenly boasted of clearing his 5 mile radius, then his 10 and so on. When he got close to clearing his 20 mile radius a group of local cachers went out one weekend and planted about a half dozen caches spaced far enough apart that he would have to drive hundreds of miles to get them all.

Be caareful about boasting about "clearing your radius". A new England cacher frequenly boasted of clearing his 5 mile radius, then his 10 and so on. When he got close to clearing his 20 mile radius a group of local cachers went out one weekend and planted about a half dozen caches spaced far enough apart that he would have to drive hundreds of miles to get them all.

Hahahaha

:D:lol::D:DB)