Encrypt/Decrypt Toggle

K-SQUARED

The Encrypt/Decrypt Toggle is wrong.

It starts out Encrypt/Decrypt

Touch it once, it decrypts the hint and then appears "Decrypt"

Touch it again, it encrypts the hint and appears "Encrypt"

It's reversed... When the hint is decrypted, the switch should be "Encrypt" and vice versa.

Just something I noticed tonight checking on my caches. Sorry if this has been brought up already, if it has, it's obviously not fixed yet.

Kevin

Perhaps it should say Encrypted when showing the gobbledygook, and Decrypted when it's human readable, and never show Encrypt/Decrypt which should actually be Decrypt/Encrypt.

More importantly, it doesn't handle HTML special characters correctly, in particular anything with & such as &

If a hint has some of that in it, decrypt and encrypting will just add and add more and more &'s possibly overflowing a buffer. i've posted this a few years ago and it still happens on the one cache whose hint I know is like this.

More importantly, it doesn't handle HTML special characters correctly, in particular anything with & such as &

If a hint has some of that in it, decrypt and encrypting will just add and add more and more &'s possibly overflowing a buffer. i've posted this a few years ago and it still happens on the one cache whose hint I know is like this.

I have a cache with that problem; the workaround is to enclose the bit with the & in brackets. Of course, that can cause its own confusion. In the case of my cache, the hint means "there is a large ampersand - the France Telecom logo - 3 metres from the cache".

Slightly off topic, but still dealing with encrypt/decrypt is that when I click on either, the changed page is shown in a NEW browser window and the page also jumps to the top. Is this as it's supposed to be?

ve1bvd

Do you have javascript turned off?

It's like that now on my PDA, too. Cheap and old IE browser. Since a postback is expensive time-wise when I'm in the field, I copy the text and execute my self-made decryption program on the PDA. Using Minimo, which should support the JavaScript, as an alternative is expensive in another way--system resources. And, yes, I do bring up gc.com (non-wap) web pages in the field if I want to see new cache details if I'm going after an FTF.

Anyway, here's what I believe to be the problem and solution to implement:

The Problem: At first, I thought it was .Net rendering a LinkButton to match a specific browser. However, looking at the HTML, that does not seem to be the case (though I don't have the HTML to view of a page that causes a postback). Instead, something within the decryptTheHint(string) JavaScript function causes an exception to be thrown. This is due to the $('dk').show() and $('dk').hide() calls. The object with the "dk" id is the decryption key div. These object function calls are not supported on older browsers, hence the exception being thrown.

The Solution: I would suggest directly adjusting the style.display attribute to 'block' and 'none', respectively, instead of calling those object methods. After that, it will work on older browsers.

Problem solved.

Do you have javascript turned off?

When I first read this, my immediate response was, "Yes, of course I do!", but then I remembered that when Firefox upgraded itself a couple of weeks ago, I got an incompatibility message regarding the current version of Javascript, so I assume the answer is now "no".

I guess I'll have to check again on the Java site.

Cheers,

Phil/vev1bvd

Java and javascript have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Javascript is implemented entirely within the browser, so it's not possible for the browser to be incompatible with your javascript. (It is possible for it to be incompatible with your Java installation.)

In Firefox, click Tools / Options, then in the resulting window click on "Content". This will show you two separate checkboxes, "Enable Java" and "Enable JavaScript." You want JavaScript to be enabled when using geocaching.com.

[At least, that's how the menu is arranged in Firefox 1.5. If the new version rearranged windows again, just sniff around for the javascript option.]

It shouldn't matter if JavaScript is turned off. Should a user disable JavaScript in his/her browser, the browser will follow the hyperlink to the URL, which includes a querystring to decode the hint. Browsers with JavaScript enabled will not follow this link if the function call is successful; the call returns false, which instructs the browser not to follow the link. However, if a JavaScript error occurs, the exception will be caught and the script will return true, which, of course, instructs the browser to follow the link, hence "reloading" the page with the decrypted hint.

Java and javascript have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Javascript is implemented entirely within the browser, so it's not possible for the browser to be incompatible with your javascript. (It is possible for it to be incompatible with your Java installation.)

In Firefox, click Tools / Options, then in the resulting window click on "Content". This will show you two separate checkboxes, "Enable Java" and "Enable JavaScript." You want JavaScript to be enabled when using geocaching.com.

[At least, that's how the menu is arranged in Firefox 1.5. If the new version rearranged windows again, just sniff around for the javascript option.]

OK, That's what I did. When I looked in the location klossner indicated, both Java and JavaScript are enabled. I just looked at another cache page and when I clicked on the Encrypt/Decrypt link, I got a new page, rather than a refresh of the original page.

Phil/ve1bvd

never noticed before. funny also is that if you put the decrypt=y in the URL query string, it loads as it should. But then clicking the Encrypt link resets the whole thing with a new page load rather than the usual inline encrypt/decrypt. very odd... but not that big of a deal. Things like that only make we wonder what else some has overlooked in the details.