ETrex powered by USB?

I bought an ETrex Venture CX (but haven't received it). When this model is connected to a computer via the USB port, does it also draw power from the connection (which seems logical to me)? I have an auto adapter left over from an old PDA, which has a USB output connector, similar to this one: carcharger_closeup_lg.jpg. I'm hoping this will let me power the ETrex in the car, using the USB data cable.

I bought an ETrex Venture CX (but haven't received it). When this model is connected to a computer via the USB port, does it also draw power from the connection (which seems logical to me)?

Yes; it can be run off USB with no batteries in it at all.

For the auto-usb-power thing, it might or might not be safe to have the unit cabled up when starting the vehicle. I recall reading that some folks have fried their garmin due to power fluctuations when the starter engages. Or maybe it's an urban legend.

Yes; it can be run off USB with no batteries in it at all.

For the auto-usb-power thing, it might or might not be safe to have the unit cabled up when starting the vehicle. I recall reading that some folks have fried their garmin due to power fluctuations when the starter engages. Or maybe it's an urban legend.

Urban legend or not, thanks for the caution. I'll let "The Myth Busters" risk their GPSr to test it, not mine.

It hasn't hurt my blue ETrex Legend (so far).