keeping track of the soved and to do caches

Does anyone have a good way of keeping track of solved puzzles that they have yet to venture out to find? I see some logs where people have logged and said they solved the puzzle months ago but only got round to doing the cache.

I am useless for keeping hold of any info for more than 5minutes somedays.

Does anyone have a good way of keeping track of solved puzzles that they have yet to venture out to find? I see some logs where people have logged and said they solved the puzzle months ago but only got round to doing the cache.

GSAK!

What else?

We use 2 methods

1- We have a bookmark list (non-public!!!!) with all puzzle caches we have solved with final co-ords and notes to remind us how we did it in the comments box.

2- Using GSAK, once we solve a puzzle, we edit the page co-ordinates and tick the "lock" box to stop them being overwritten

I copy the waypoint using gsak

Label the solved one with an S at the end and change the name to generic puzzle solved and change the type to a traditional so tom tom and the other gadgets show it as such.

Then when exporting the puzzle shows as a puzzle and the solved co ords show as a trad

I have an A4 "Black n' Red" hard back notebook which I use to work out puzzle caches. That way I can keep a note of my working out and can check to see where I've made any errors. I write down the final co-ords in there and keep it in my desk, it's much better than having loads of bits of paper lying around. :ph34r::o

I then use GSAK to edit the co-ords and the cache type and then I "lock" it so that it doesn't get updated in any future GPX file uploads. :D

A small A6 notebook, that fits in my pocket when I am caching. I also use it to log down comments etc, it is also quite useful as a muggle interferance tool. I just sit down on a convinent rock or the ground and appear to be writing in the note book.

I set the corrected co-ordinates for the cache in GSAK to the solved location. You don't then need to lock the record, as future GPX updates don't update the corrected coordinates.

I also put all my workings out into the GSAK notes for the cache, so that they show up in Cachemate when I'm out looking for the cache, just in case I got something wrong when I worked it out.

I set the corrected co-ordinates for the cache in GSAK to the solved location. You don't then need to lock the record, as future GPX updates don't update the corrected coordinates.

I also put all my workings out into the GSAK notes for the cache, so that they show up in Cachemate when I'm out looking for the cache, just in case I got something wrong when I worked it out.

where's the 'solved location'?

I set the corrected co-ordinates for the cache in GSAK to the solved location.

where's the 'solved location'?

You have to solve the puzzle to know that. :P

Once you've done that you can enter your solution as corrected co-ordinates for the cache entry in GSAK (right-click > Corrected Coordinates...) This overrides the original location with your guess. It doesn't get reset when data for the cache is next imported, and there's also a column in the display that can be activated to show an icon on all the lines with corrections, so you can see which ones you've done.

same here - and you can also filter on caches with corrected coordinates, so you can just see the solved puzzles - and decide if its time to get out and find some rather than sitting at home solving them!!

I'd like to do something similar. Is there a way I can use the UserData field in GSAK and export that across to Cachemate in the GPX file? or do you just mean that you put your workings out in the main description on GSAK so they are included in Cachemate when you export a fresh GPX file from GSAK and import it to Cachemate?

Is there a way I can use the UserData field in GSAK and export that across to Cachemate in the GPX file? or do you just mean that you put your workings out in the main description on GSAK so they are included in Cachemate when you export a fresh GPX file from GSAK and import it to Cachemate?

Hi

You can use both the User Notes and User Data fields in GSAK to get info into Cachemate. I'm on GSAK 7.1.0.64, so this may be inaccurate for earlier versions.

To add User Notes:

- Select Waypoint - Add/Change/Delete Notes on the menu, then type in the User Notes box.

To add User Data or User Data 2:

- If these columns don't already show in the grid, select View - Add/Delete Columns on the menu to show them.

- Type the text directly into the cache record in the grid.

Then do this in the GPX export dialog box:

- For User Notes, tick this option: Include user notes in export.

- For User Data, type %user or %user2 in this text box: Extra information to show as first log.

The end result in Cachemate looks like this, a "log" showing the User Data (in my case the OS Grid Ref) and another showing the User Notes:

deb7b06b-1668-49f2-9a99-7c572748f5e2.jpg

Is there a way I can use the UserData field in GSAK and export that across to Cachemate in the GPX file? or do you just mean that you put your workings out in the main description on GSAK so they are included in Cachemate when you export a fresh GPX file from GSAK and import it to Cachemate?

Hi

You can use both the User Notes and User Data fields in GSAK to get info into Cachemate. I'm on GSAK 7.1.0.64, so this may be inaccurate for earlier versions.

To add User Notes:

- Select Waypoint - Add/Change/Delete Notes on the menu, then type in the User Notes box.

To add User Data or User Data 2:

- If these columns don't already show in the grid, select View - Add/Delete Columns on the menu to show them.

- Type the text directly into the cache record in the grid.

Then do this in the GPX export dialog box:

- For User Notes, tick this option: Include user notes in export.

- For User Data, type %user or %user2 in this text box: Extra information to show as first log.

The end result in Cachemate looks like this, a "log" showing the User Data (in my case the OS Grid Ref) and another showing the User Notes:

deb7b06b-1668-49f2-9a99-7c572748f5e2.jpg

Brilliant! Thanks very much!