Montana smashed penny

tsunrisebey

Montana has been running a type of geocaching contest, hidden geocaches (not listed on gc.com), part of a tourism advertising campaign (they are giving away GPS's, Gift certicates, etc. I just picked up a Horse drawn Wagon Ride to a ranch where it's all you can eat prime rib w/ huckleberry cheesecake and cowboy coffee, song and stories around a campfire in the evening...wooohoooo, I can bring a guest, any volunteers?) . Anyhow, all the caches have lots of Montana smashed pennies. I've managed to pick up a couple along the way. I'm not really into the smashed penny thing but I have 3 to give away if you're interested. I would prefer someone who really likes collecting the pennies to get them. I may be able to pick up some more another time, the Montana geocache contest ends in mid-July, so pennies should still be around for awhile.

Just post your name here if you are interested and I'll drop you an email to get your name and addy to send out the pennies. (I only have 3 right now). here are a couple of pics so you can see what they look like.

tsun :blink:

MTsmashedpenny2.jpg

MTsmashedpenny.jpg

Edited by tsunrisebey

We love smashed pennies. Those MT ones are so cool. We just did a whole bunch of new pennies on our recent trip.

I have to get an album together to start displaying them. They bring back great memories of our trips together as a family. :blink:

Also tsun - do you have more info on the caches and contest? I think it woulfd be great to do that over here as well. I have some folks that might be interested as a way to drum up tourism and such. Cool idea.

Edited by GPX Navigators

Ive got 4 smashed pennies from caches- 2 of them were Sig items, and I got a Snoogans penny on the way!

1 of the 2 was a Bikedog smashed penny that I found in a cache that he had left over 1 1/2 years prior to me finding it!...Its one of my greatest swag items that is currently in his memorial cache!

Here it is the day I found it

7e0f4f0a-06f4-4431-89fb-2835d5a876a9.jpg

So yeah, I would like a montana smashed penny! But shure wish I could go and get one myself! :blink:

Ive got 4 smashed pennies from caches- 2 of them were Sig items, and I got a Snoogans penny on the way!

1 of the 2 was a Bikedog smashed penny that I found in a cache that he had left over 1 1/2 years prior to me finding it!...Its one of my greatest swag items that is currently in his memorial cache!

Here it is the day I found it

7e0f4f0a-06f4-4431-89fb-2835d5a876a9.jpg

So yeah, I would like a montana smashed penny! But shure wish I could go and get one myself! :blink:

That is so cool 007! What an awesome momento. We've recently found his memorial geocoin which was terrific. That is one coin would love to have. Those rare finds in caches make the journey even better.

And hey 007, your penny is pretty darn cool too. :laughing:

That is so cool 007! What an awesome momento. We've recently found his memorial geocoin which was terrific. That is one coin would love to have. Those rare finds in caches make the journey even better.

And hey 007, your penny is pretty darn cool too. :blink:

Yep, It was such a cool find, I couldnt believe it! I stuffed that cache with my coolest swag and left that cache just as giddy as the school girls boyfriend!!! :blink:

Glad ya like my sig! :laughing: If I remember right, you got one of em...right?

Thanks for the little smashed penny cointest T-sun!

We just started collecting smashed pennies back in April. Our son loves them! I think we got a total of 9 smashed pennies done while in Oregon and Washington. But heck they are pretty much the cheapest souvenir you can get! Maybe some day we will have a custom smashed penny made to place in caches.

Hmm...do I really like collecting elongated pennies? I guess the penny press sitting in my room means Yes! :P I would love to be added to the list...I could even send you one of mine. Penny collecting got me into geocaching in the first place, and you bet wherever I cache, I press!

Would someone care to let me in on the smashed penny phenomena? Where do they come from? Are individuals making them? If so, do they have one of those machines?

The only smashed pennies I know about are the ones that you get at tourist attractions. You know, where you put your penny in and 75 cents and out comes a penny that has a design pertinent to the attraction that you visited.

That Montana smashed penny is awesome. I haven't seen anything like that before.

Forget the penny I want the Horse drawn Wagon Ride to a ranch where it's all you can eat prime rib w/ huckleberry cheesecake and cowboy coffee, song and stories around a campfire in the evening...wooohooo thing.

;) When would you like to come to Helena? You'll need to wear your wranglers, hat and boots :P

Forget the penny I want the Horse drawn Wagon Ride to a ranch where it's all you can eat prime rib w/ huckleberry cheesecake and cowboy coffee, song and stories around a campfire in the evening...wooohooo thing.

:ph34r: When would you like to come to Helena? You'll need to wear your wranglers, hat and boots :ph34r:

Think his wife might fight you for him tsun! :ph34r:

;) When would you like to come to Helena? You'll need to wear your wranglers, hat and boots :ph34r:

Think his wife might fight you for him tsun! :ph34r:

I can run fast :grin:

Just having a little fun :ph34r:

Hmm...do I really like collecting elongated pennies? I guess the penny press sitting in my room means Yes! :ph34r: I would love to be added to the list...I could even send you one of mine. Penny collecting got me into geocaching in the first place, and you bet wherever I cache, I press!

GG!!!

Over here!!! peas.gif I want some of the NYGO smashed pennies!!!!!

tatice_08.gif

<Trying to get the lovely GG's attention, 'cuz I loves her and her smashed pennies, too!!!!>

<Have I mentioned GG is a WONDERFUL person?>

<And that I likes her a bunch?>

<Do you think this is gonna work?>

<I PM'd you a week ago...snivel...>

Edited by ATMouse
Just post your name here if you are interested and I'll drop you an email to get your name and addy to send out the pennies. (I only have 3 right now). here are a couple of pics so you can see what they look like.

tsun :angry:

Put me down on the list. Nice of you to pay postage too. Lemme know if you want one of mine.

One day soon I'll have a decent close-up picture of my pennies to show.

With a little Snooglet on the way, my money and time are short, but I would like to give a hundred or so of my pennies away.

If you (by you I mean anyone) want one of my sig pennies, just send a self addressed stamped envelope to:

PRESS Your Luck!

P.O. Box 516

Missouri City, Texas 77459-0516

Please include your geocaching handle with your real name as in Mark aka Snoogans, etc.

With a S-A-S-E, it only takes me a second to tape your free smashed penny inside your envelope and get it right back to you. Heck, I can do that right at the box.

I collect smashed pennies and sig items, so if you want to trade for more than just my sig penny (I have 12 designs and 8 are geocaching specific.) you don't have to send S-A-S-E. I 'll pay the postage to send my trade back to your return address.

For instance, I would trade a set of my coins (12) for a chainmail ball sig, or a VictoryMike keychain, or something nicely handmade like those, etc. But generally I'll trade 1 or 2 pennies for every sig. I'll trade a set (or 2 for a rare coin) for unactivated geocoins, but I'll trade for non-trackable coins too. I did quite a bit of trading at GW5. I recently traded 3 sets for a sold out coin, but it was to a friend and I would have given him a set for nuthin' anyway. (Which reminds me, I gotta crank some out now.)

Smashed coins are authentic Americana dating back to 1893. If you wanna see what they're worth, just look on ebay or other auction websites. (keyword: elongated) They don't go for less than a buck each.

EDIT:

I forgot that I had access to a decent digital camera at work:

09d1af12-d32e-4a77-a82b-df6ebb76ffba.jpg

78e05ab7-bd43-4c40-9ee5-9490e39b30f6.jpg

3f01fe38-72f4-4b90-b831-bb8c402b15f2.jpg

6ce45174-b892-4689-a74b-d0d4561b17b6.jpg

The name of my business is a play on that backside image: PRESS Your Luck!

That's just what I had in my pocket. I have 10 more designs an 1 different backside image.

I may try for a 13th coin using the 2 backside images.

Edited by Snoogans

They had the same contest here in the Twin Cities back in April-May. I have a few of those pennies myself (same design and everything). They also had trackable geocoins for the first 5 people that found the cache, I was lucky enough to get one. And I even managed to win one of the drawings for a GPS!!!