Calling all Cachers....

I hope to be arranging an informal get together and cache bache in London at the end of the summer.

For logistical reasons the event will have to be on Monday September 10th from about 1900hr onwards. This cannot be changed.

I had thought about "The Old Mitre", but, after discussion with the admirable Pharisee, decided to consider also "The Butcher's Hook and Cleaver" and the "Citte of York".

Can I have some indication of which of these inns would be the most attractive location so I can speak to the managers and arrange a private space if possible before I submit the cache page to be reviewed by someone :blink::laughing:

Look forward to hearing from you!!

Cheers,

Eckington :blink::blink::)

This is a BUMP to keep the information coming into me :ph34r:

Haven't actually made it to the Mitre before, but as said, Wheelchair access is a problem! The Butchers Hook is OK for wheelchair access, IF they let you have the ground floor. However, I doubt they would, as the mezzanine is an easily roped off space for parties. The Cittie has a room at the front which can be used for functions, which I believe is level access from the street (maybe a step...).

All good pubs - Cittie is cheaper by far (less than 2 quid a pint in London is like 50p a pint in the sticks!!) Food is better in the Butchers, with excellent meat pies (obviously) but you pay for what you get!

Oh, and the Cittie has a more central location...

mmmmmmm.... beeeeeeer.......

My choice would be whichever has decent wheelchair access, both to the bar and the loo :o

From personal experience finding a good place for a meeting, that is not hideously expensive and is fully accessible is a nightmare in London. I believe the Citti of York has disabled facilities on one floor, but I don't know about the accessibility of the function spaces.

The cellar bar is defiantly not accessible, but we have successfully carried down a wheelchair before, and more amazingly we carried it up again, with owner, after drinking a few of the home beverage.

My choice would be whichever has decent wheelchair access, both to the bar and the loo :angry:

From personal experience finding a good place for a meeting, that is not hideously expensive and is fully accessible is a nightmare in London. I believe the Citti of York has disabled facilities on one floor, but I don't know about the accessibility of the function spaces.

The cellar bar is defiantly not accessible, but we have successfully carried down a wheelchair before, and more amazingly we carried it up again, with owner, after drinking a few of the home beverage.

Well, I may not be as experienced as you :unsure: BUT, there are places that are fully accessibe (in the sense that one can enter using a wheelchair, get to the bar AND the toilet [necessary in my opinion :rolleyes: ] !!

Tis just a question of finding 'em.

It was a more than theoretical enquiry, I am more than likely to be able to attend this bash if it is accessible as I am down to be working in London that week.

Well, I may not be as experienced as you :mmraspberry: BUT, there are places that are fully accessibe (in the sense that one can enter using a wheelchair, get to the bar AND the toilet [necessary in my opinion :signalviolin: ] !!

Tis just a question of finding 'em.

It was a more than theoretical enquiry, I am more than likely to be able to attend this bash if it is accessible as I am down to be working in London that week.

I do try to make anything I am arranging as accessible as is practical. If you do know of places in London with a function room that is wheelchair accessible and the bar prices are sensible (around £2 a pint ish) then please do let me know.

Ok now I am really confuzzled, not hard, especially after the day I have had at Wimbledon! On court, off court, on court baaah rain!

I thought Ecky was organisating this bash?

.....he is, and at the mo it will be The Cittie of Yorke, awaiting confirmation from the management.

Just spoken to the Landlord at the Citte of Yorke. Wheelchair access to the bar is not a problem as it's at street level and if I remember correctly, this pub has the longest bar in London. The toilet for disabled folk may be a touch more difficult. It's on the ground floor, but depending on the width of your wheelchair, you may or may not get in as it doesn't have a wider than normal door. Hope that helps....

Oh yes.. Count me in, please, Mr Eckington, Sir

Bad News Guys,

The Cittie of Yorke is not available that evening :unsure::lol:;)

Unless someone has a better idea that leaves us with the Butcher's or The Mitre, neither of which appears to be very wheelchair friendly I'll wait 24 hours to hear if anyone can come up with any other ideas and then get in touch with these.

Ecky

Bad News Guys,

Unless someone has a better idea that leaves us with the Butcher's

Ecky

The BH & C will set aside an area of the ground floor if you ask them nicely

Aprt from that .... one or two more to try:-

1) The Counting House, Cornhill

Phone 020 7283 7123 and ask for Colin George

They have a function room big enough for 30-40 people on the top floor but they have a passenger lift that can accommodate a wheel chair. Bar food available

2) The Melton Mowbray, Holborn

Phone 020 7405 7077. Manager is Glyn Morgan

Function room and wheelchair access. Bar food available.

3) Moby Dick, Russell Place

Phone 020 7231 6719. Manager is Joe Springate

Function room, wheelchair access, bar food and riverside view if you want it

4) The Red Herring, Gresham Street

Phone 020 7606 0399, Manager is Claire Palmer

As all the above but this one has a restaurant as well

The only one I've actually been to is the Counting House. Not for a function, however, just a beery evening with my brother. For that it comes highly recommended.

If any other come to mind, I'll let you know

Edited by Pharisee
Bad News Guys,

Unless someone has a better idea that leaves us with the Butcher's

Ecky

The BH & C will set aside an area of the ground floor if you ask them nicely

Aprt from that .... one or two more to try:-

1) The Counting House, Cornhill

Phone 020 7283 7123 and ask for Colin George

They have a function room big enough for 30-40 people on the top floor but they have a passenger lift that can accommodate a wheel chair. Bar food available

2) The Melton Mowbray, Holborn

Phone 020 7405 7077. Manager is Glyn Morgan

Function room and wheelchair access. Bar food available.

3) Moby Dick, Russell Place

Phone 020 7231 6719. Manager is Joe Springate

Function room, wheelchair access, bar food and riverside view if you want it

4) The Red Herring, Gresham Street

Phone 020 7606 0399, Manager is Claire Palmer

As all the above but this one has a restaurant as well

The only one I've actually been to is the Counting House. Not for a function, however, just a beery evening with my brother. For that it comes highly recommended.

If any other come to mind, I'll let you know

Well, if it ends up in one of these you may well have just earned yourself a drink Mr Pharisee! :)

Well having booked my Easy room :D this morning, I can confirm that all 3 UK Reviewers will be Attending [gives us a chance to actually see how deep those pockets are :D ]

'kin 'ell.... looks like I'll need to speak to my bank manager before I attend this event :o;)

Calling all cachers, near and far!

For, I believe, the first time ever all 3 UK reviewers will (hopefully) be under the same roof HERE

on Monday September 10th from 1900hrs

Is that allowed? who's going to be reviewing the caches? I think there should be a law against it :unsure: .

Edited by MartyBartfast

Is that allowed? who's going to be reviewing the caches? I think there should be a law against it :unsure: .

I have heard on the underground network that if you bring in a hard copy, they will review it there and then and then publish it via the WiFi HotSpot next door. The down side: it'll cost you a case of Champers - for each reviewer!

:):)

Is that allowed? who's going to be reviewing the caches? I think there should be a law against it :lol: .

I have heard on the underground network that if you bring in a hard copy, they will review it there and then and then publish it via the WiFi HotSpot next door. The down side: it'll cost you a case of Champers - for each reviewer!

:laughing::laughing:

Ah but that only covers Ecki and Lacto :rolleyes: did the underground network also tell you that it's not a case of champers :lol: but a Nebuchadnezzar from House of Drappier for each of them :rolleyes:

[for the uninitiated a Nebuchadnezzar is approximately 20 bottles in size, and the House of Drappier are the only producers to ferment the champagne in the actual bottle and not decant it from Magnum size bottles]

Me I'm the easy one B) it's just Perrier Water for me, thats a Wagon Load of course B):laughing: