GeocoinFest Logo and Geocoin Vote!

avroair

I have an image I put together for the local event. We've been talking locally about having a logo/coin just for the AZ location. We're looking at having a local logo contest similar to the one here.

FWIW, I don't think avroair is allowing this. At least not branding it as a GeocoinFest Event coin. The official micro-event coins are designed to be a revenue generator for the 2008 big event. You could make it as a personal coin though.

I have an image I put together for the local event. We've been talking locally about having a logo/coin just for the AZ location. We're looking at having a local logo contest similar to the one here.

FWIW, I don't think avroair is allowing this. At least not branding it as a GeocoinFest Event coin. The official micro-event coins are designed to be a revenue generator for the 2008 big event. You could make it as a personal coin though.

What about revenue generation for the multi geocoinfest events? Since it is so late in the year, a hall will need to be rented. There will be expenses for these multi-events and it would only be fair that revenue from the coins from this year be split amongst the locations and any leftovers carried over to the "big event".

Well, poop! I get sick, miss the forums for a few days, and check in three hours after the voting on this closes :rolleyes: Heck with it!! Here are my votes, anyway. If avroair adds 'em in, that's great :unsure: If not, well, no harm in posting this. Loved just about all the entries, for different reasons. It was hard to pick my top three, but here they are, in order...

Congrats to the winner, and to all the entrants!

What about revenue generation for the multi geocoinfest events? Since it is so late in the year, a hall will need to be rented. There will be expenses for these multi-events and it would only be fair that revenue from the coins from this year be split amongst the locations and any leftovers carried over to the "big event".

Try looking for a place that is free... like a restaurant.

Or better yet, "pass the hat" at the event like most do and get the money to pay for a park pavillion rental or something similar.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Try looking for a place that is free... like a restaurant.

Or better yet, "pass the hat" at the event like most do and get the money to pay for a park pavillion rental or something similar.

Sorry, I don't see why monies from this years coin doesn't go to this years event. Next year you will have next years coins plus the monies that were left over from last yaer. Was this mentioned in a post somewhere? I've been so busy lately, I haven't been able to stay up to date on all posts.

And, if we are not getting any funding from the coin this year, why cannot we have a local coin? Again, doesn't make sense to me.

Sorry, I don't see why monies from this years coin doesn't go to this years event. Next year you will have next years coins plus the monies that were left over from last yaer. Was this mentioned in a post somewhere? I've been so busy lately, I haven't been able to stay up to date on all posts.

And, if we are not getting any funding from the coin this year, why cannot we have a local coin? Again, doesn't make sense to me.

Want some fries with that? :rolleyes:

I'm just repeating what I've been told. Take it up with Mark.

I don't know about PA, but a pavillon rental is about $65-$100 and in some cases free here. I would recommend looking for low cost to no cost alternatives.

Want some fries with that? :rolleyes:

I'm just repeating what I've been told. Take it up with Mark.

I don't know about PA, but a pavillon rental is about $65-$100 and in some cases free here. I would recommend looking for low cost to no cost alternatives.

I'm not sure if you've ever been in PA, but in October its been know to snow. So, outdoor facilities are out of the question. The weather is not the same here as it is in GA.

I'm not sure if you've ever been in PA, but in October its been know to snow. So, outdoor facilities are out of the question. The weather is not the same here as it is in GA.

Lived there 23 years :rolleyes: I only remember it snowing once before halloween.

Our first Halloween in our house, I was kind-of excited to see all the kids trick-or-treating...well...we had a pretty heavy snowfall. The kids were all trick-or-treating in their winter coats! The problem that I see with the weather in PA in October is...it is unpredictable. One day is hot and dry, the next is cold and wet.

Lived there 23 years :rolleyes: I only remember it snowing once before halloween.

Our first Halloween in our house, I was kind-of excited to see all the kids trick-or-treating...well...we had a pretty heavy snowfall. The kids were all trick-or-treating in their winter coats! The problem that I see with the weather in PA in October is...it is unpredictable. One day is hot and dry, the next is cold and wet.

Okay, I guess my point was this is October 6th. If outdoor is really out of the question, then isn't anyone affiliated with a mason's lodge or an american legion? Typically those facilities can be had for next to nothing if a member reserves them.

These events are smaller meet & greet type events. It was only suggestion one think realistically in their planning. I believe even the larger ones wouldn't have more than 100 people attending. And the last I was told, we were on our own for the planning of our local events, which would include creative ways to cover any associated costs that might be incurred.

Edited by AtlantaGal

And the last I was told, we were on our own for the planning of our local events, which would include creative ways to cover any associated costs that might be incurred.

If the local hosts are to plan their own events and come up with creative ways to fund their events -- which I'm all for -- then why cannot all the local hosts get together and decide what happens to the funds from the mult-event geocoinfest coin and make the decision on whether local coins can be created to raise funds rather than one or two people deciding what can and cannot happen?

Okay, I guess my point was this is October 6th. If outdoor is really out of the question, then isn't anyone affiliated with a mason's lodge or an american legion? Typically those facilities can be had for next to nothing if a member reserves them.

Not sure what Masonic lodge you are a member of, but most around here aren't open for renting out to event such as this.

Not sure what Masonic lodge you are a member of, but most around here aren't open for renting out to event such as this.

Really? Irem Temple Country Club (google it). It's privately owned and operated by the shriners. And I'm not a member, my father is.

... one or two people deciding what can and cannot happen?

Careful on your assumptions Stacy. I'm not personally deciding anything regarding these events :rolleyes:

I didn't say you were -- just merely stating that why not vote on it. I'd be more than willing to coordinate the voting for everyone.

Really? Irem Temple Country Club (google it). It's privately owned and operated by the shriners. And I'm not a member, my father is.

It's a country club! Not a Masonic Lodge! Huge difference.

It's a country club! Not a Masonic Lodge! Huge difference.

If you read further it's tied into a masonic lodge as well :rolleyes:

Most here do... I belong to F.&A.M Center Point #872 and have rented our lodge's commercial-grade kitchen and dining hall for geocaching events and family gatherings.

Also my Zamora Shrine Temple rents their facility, both at the Temple and at Zamora Park, where we have huge screened pavilions, camping facilities, a big lake, and an Olympic-size swimming pool set in several hundred acres of forest.

I expect it's decided at each Lodge.

Most here do... I belong to F.&A.M Center Point #872 and have rented our lodge's commercial-grade kitchen and dining hall for geocaching events and family gatherings.

Also my Zamora Shrine Temple rents their facility, both at the Temple and at Zamora Park, where we have huge screened pavilions, camping facilities, a big lake, and an Olympic-size swimming pool set in several hundred acres of forest.

I expect it's decided at each Lodge.

I am only speaking of the area we are in, which is the same area to which she was telling Stacy to go rent from. I know the area and know my lodge, as well as most of the others in the immediate area, are not up for rent.

Edited by pghlooking

I don't need to read further. A country club tied to the Masons and a Masonic Lodge are two very different things. I think you know that but will argue it to death anyhow.

Well since you know everything and I've rented this facility for next to nothing, I guess I'm just wrong then.

Thank you AL Rambler for keeping me sane. I don't claim to know anything about "lodges" or "american legions" but do know that at least in some areas, they can be rented and typically inexpensively by members.

Far be it from me to suggest trying to look at cost effective solutions for holding your Pittsburgh event. Sheesh.

I don't need to read further. A country club tied to the Masons and a Masonic Lodge are two very different things. I think you know that but will argue it to death anyhow.

Well since you know everything and I've rented this facility for next to nothing, I guess I'm just wrong then.

Thank you AL Rambler for keeping me sane. I don't claim to know anything about "lodges" or "american legions" but do know that at least in some areas, they can be rented and typically inexpensively by members.

Far be it from me to suggest trying to look at cost effective solutions for holding your Pittsburgh event. Sheesh.

Your best suggestion was a place over 5 hours away? Now that surely is cost effective and so practical! And you think I am the one pretending to know everything? Gimmie a break.

Your best suggestion was a place over 5 hours away? Now that surely is cost effective and so practical! And you think I am the one pretending to know everything? Gimmie a break.

I guess you have a reading comprehension problem now too. It was an EXAMPLE of what you said isn't available in your area. I never once suggested you rent that particular establishment and you know it.

Yeah, you are the one.

I guess you have a reading comprehension problem now too. It was an EXAMPLE of what you said isn't available in your area. I never once suggested you rent that particular establishment and you know it.

I read fine. I will admit it is harder at times through the laughter!

I will drop out of this witty banter now before someone commits GeoCide. (Not suggesting it would be you since we already know your stance on that and the coin you will never have in your possession).

Apologies...

I was tallying the forum votes and was away from my computer until 10 p.m. MDT Tuesday night. I sent the tally of the forum votes to Avroair. Then he can add the e-mail votes he got to the count I sent him.

So I expect he will post tomorrow morning- ish...

If the local hosts are to plan their own events and come up with creative ways to fund their events -- which I'm all for -- then why cannot all the local hosts get together and decide what happens to the funds from the mult-event geocoinfest coin and make the decision on whether local coins can be created to raise funds rather than one or two people deciding what can and cannot happen?

This is my fault since I haven't had time to properly coordinate with the organizers as much as I would like to. FYI the geocoinfest forum will be up and running in the next couple of days so we can discuss coin and event options.

Getting this thread back on topic. The logo results are in! Drum roll please... :signalviolin:

Just wanted to add a HUGE thank you to everyone who submitted artwork. It's hard to put yourself (and design) up in front of a group of critics! And all the submissions were very much appreciated. Also, thanks to all those who stepped up and voted, it's harder to organize, but it also makes it more fun! :signalviolin:

Hi all,

Thank you SOOO MUCH everyone. A HUGE special thank you for everyone who voted for the mosaic coin... and a special thank you to everyone who voted for any coin (I don't need to buy nail clippers now :signalviolin: ).

Thanks also to everyone who contributed coin designs... its nice to see such great ideas... well done.

Finally, thank you avroair for organizing this. What a ton of work! We are so lucky to have people like you around.

Chris

P.S. A "HUGE special" thank you is like an XLE thank you, a "special" thank you is like an LE thank you, and a "thank you" is the standard one, but no less special in our minds :mmraspberry: