LPCs

therat

Ah yes, I was wondering when the strawmen were gonna make their appearance. You are inferring quite a bit from my belief. The only person who can deny you your lame cache hunting pleasure is Jeremy, not me. No matter how much I believe insipid cache hides damage the game, they will be here as long as the Boss says they will be here. Even if Jeremy were to suddenly exclaim "LAME CACHES ARE BANNED", would you not still be able to love them? Many folks still love the locationless caches, and as far as I know, they went the way of the dodo. So, how exactly am I directing you on what types of caches you are allowed to like? :ph34r:

<chirp chirp>

You've changed the question - many people liked locationless, but can no longer enjoy them. You can't claim that you are/have avocated not hiding LPCs - for the good of the game or whatever - and if that were successful there wouldn't be any more to be enjoyed, no matter how much someone liked them. Your earlier "Imagine if..." question made it real easy to infer that you want them gone. You can say that you're not trying to limit anybody, but that's not the message that comes across in your posts on this subject.

Now, if for some reason there was a "Lame Cache" ban instituted, what all would be affected? Just your despised LPCs? I just did four caches today, three of which had some hike (fairly short for a couple). One was a small hidden in a crotch of a tree, one an ammo can under a bush, one a ammo can hidden under a pile of sticks behind a tree, one in an old mail truck in the middle of the woods. If you're talking just about lame hide styles (as you classify LPCs) then three of the four would fall under the ban.

Not quite. You, along with another poster, changed the reference of my statement. Hence the strawman label. The question I was addressing was, 'why do folks complain about things they don't like'. I think I covered all the possible causes of people vocalizing their discontent. Krypt decided to twist my answer into me telling him what caches he has to like, and you've been riding his coat tails, (along with some twisting of your own), ever since.

Never once in my forum history have I suggested you are not free to enjoy whatever happens to float your boat, be it ammo cans in natural environments or film canisters in sweltering blacktop. The choice is entirely up to you. In my particular case, since I believe lame caches, (of any size), are detrimental to the game, I choose to voice my discontent. You may feel free to voice your praises of carp till the cows come home. :ph34r:

I often enjoy LPCs, especially while traveling.

Can you explain what you enjoy about them?

Thanks for asking.

Like all traditional geocaches, they serve my primary goals of geocaching. They remove my posterior from my couch and free my mind from life's drama. Outside my home area, they serve an additional purpose of helping me become familiar with the area.

Sounds like Waymarking would fit the bill just as well.

I often enjoy LPCs, especially while traveling.
Can you explain what you enjoy about them?
Thanks for asking.

Like all traditional geocaches, they serve my primary goals of geocaching. They remove my posterior from my couch and free my mind from life's drama. Outside my home area, they serve an additional purpose of helping me become familiar with the area.

Sounds like Waymarking would fit the bill just as well.
So would golf and model rocketry.

I have to assume that the only reason that you are pressing this it to drag me into an argument. I'll pass. Try someone else.

Edited by sbell111

We did a few Waymarking types. We had no idea what it was until the wife looked it up. We also had no idea there were any in our area. Two of our cache hides is right off a parking lot. With what some say here they would avoid it like the plague because of that. Of the ones that have found it thus far there have been no complaints and a heap that seemed amused by them. Those that don't want to visit don't make m lose any sleep. One I specifically wanted it to be handicapped accessible. You like the gung ho, rambo, tromp through the middle of the woods ammo cans no worries. We haven't seen a cache we don't like and it's not for the fact of smilies or clearing an area. We just like doing it. It sure as heck beats watching a carppy rerun on tv. It's also something my wife and I can go out and do together in a county where it's like Disneyland every tourist season.

My logic, you don't like emm don't do emm. We've found actually using the size guide on the page helps alot. If you see it's a tiny dot... keep on moving, chances are it's just a mint tin or film cannister.

I found a LPC yesterday and liked it. ;) I DNF'd another cache I have a feeling is a LPC with a "twist." :P

The reason I like LPCs is because there is parking nearby, something I really appreciate when I look for urban caches. :P

Miragee,you're one I wouldn't have firgured to like those!All the caches you post are always hiking caches and such. :P

:P I see those that tell me what type of cache to enjoy as a bigger threat to my beloved activity.

Wow.... We even got a frowny face out of that one. ;)

So, what's got you so upset? Is anyone here even remotely suggesting what kind of cache you should enjoy?

Yep, you. Your stance that LPCs are harmful to the game indicates that you want them gone - which would leave us one less type to enjoy.

I have never seen either of the CRs call for a ban on LPCs. They argue that LPCs are bad for the game or are at least a sign of what they see as a degradation of geocaching. They are suggesting things they feel will improve geocaching which are fall far short of calling for a ban on LPCs. They haven't even suggested limiting LPCs - what I've called affirmative action for non-LPCs. Instead they are trying to convince people that most people would prefer a cache hidden in a local park than in one in a parking lot and are asking hiders to consider that when they place a cache. They may also be asking for changes to the website to make it easier for them to filter out the caches they don't like to find.

I don't agree with their assessment. I see urbans hides - the so-called microSpew - as a sign of the change in geocaching that is more good than bad. The hikes and the cleverly camouflaged caches that I like are still out there and I can find them. But now people who prefer easy park 'n grab caches have more of them to find as well. I do agree that we could use some enhancements to help people find hides in urban areas that don't fall into the microSpew category. I would like to see some more bookmark lists of "quality" urban hides. (I need to start one myself). I think any suggestions that allow people to enjoy whatever it is they like about geocaching more are good.

I found a LPC yesterday and liked it. :D I DNF'd another cache I have a feeling is a LPC with a "twist." ;)

The reason I like LPCs is because there is parking nearby, something I really appreciate when I look for urban caches. :D

Miragee,you're one I wouldn't have firgured to like those!All the caches you post are always hiking caches and such. :D

I had to go into the "big city" for an appointment a long way from where I live. As long as I had driven that many miles, I decided to look for a few urban caches. I found a nice variety of caches, and didn't find three. :P Some of those caches were on little trails in parks, one was in a commercial setting, others were in a large, unimproved park area. The LPC was "one for the numbers," but at least there was parking nearby. There was another one I drove by, and could get within 15' of, but there was no legal parking anywhere nearby . . . :) Those are the kind of urban caches that really frustrate me . . . :P

Oh, and then there was the other one I never found access to . . . even after asking the GPSr to auto-route me, and then trying my own approaches. That part of caching is not fun for me, not at today's price of gas . . . :P

Give me a LPC any day over those, difficult-to-access, across railroad tracks between freeway off-ramp caches. :)

I'm going to have to side with the 'I Don't Mind Lamp Post Caches' group. I thought the first one I found was cool enough that I copied the idea. As a matter of fact, that copy, (which is still active) was the first one in my area. When I first placed it, I got logs like 'Wow! What a cool hide!' Now I get, '...ho hum...another one, just like the others...' Maybe so, but hey, if you don't like it, don't log the smiley.

I'll agree that they are a bit overdone as lots of people have copied the idea, but I think the fact that they have been copied so often shows that some people like them. They require a bit of stealth (which some cachers like), they're relatively well camo'ed (muggles don't notice them) and they're usually fairly protected from the harsh elements. Crawly bugs and land owner permissions are another story. They may seen as being unimaginative, but they're no where near as unimaginative as a 'micro in a bush'. My area has been proliferated with 'bush' caches, and most are nothing more than 'Hey! I saw this bush as I was driving and had a micro in my pocket... my EPE was 126 feet so you can easily find this 1/1...'

I'll take a Lamp Post cache any day.

Keep on Caching! - Kewaneh

I have never seen either of the CRs call for a ban on LPCs. They argue that LPCs are bad for the game or are at least a sign of what they see as a degradation of geocaching.

Thank you! :P

They may seen as being unimaginative, but they're no where near as unimaginative as a 'micro in a bush'.

Excellent point! In my personal, biased lameness scale, film canisters in fast food joint shrubbery fall even lower than the average LPC.

LPC's are just the poster child for lameness, not the pinnacle. ;)