LPCs

therat

Maybe this should be "Lamp Post Stashes"? Haha - I don't mind them - I like a little of everything - i like the ones where you have to do a bunch of hunting for one cache, and i like it sometimes when I get to find a bunch of them in a short period of time.

I guess I don't understand the people who seriously dislike them why they complain - I don't hunt the 5/5 ones on top of a mountain or a pillar in the middle of a river because it's not my thing - but I don't complain about people putting them out there.

Maybe this should be "Lamp Post Stashes"? Haha - I don't mind them - I like a little of everything - i like the ones where you have to do a bunch of hunting for one cache, and i like it sometimes when I get to find a bunch of them in a short period of time.

I guess I don't understand the people who seriously dislike them why they complain - I don't hunt the 5/5 ones on top of a mountain or a pillar in the middle of a river because it's not my thing - but I don't complain about people putting them out there.

Exactly!!

I thought this was a new L.P.S. thread. Last Post Standing. Wait until AV sees it.

As far as LPC---they're ok. I've only found a few thus far (and hid one after a trip to Florida and at the time thought it was a unique idea). They're not that common around here, so once in a while it's nice to just get a quick and easy one.

Exactly!!

I guess I don't understand the people who seriously dislike them why they complain

Allow me to explain;

Imagine there was an activity that you loved above all others. Now imagine you detect what you believe to be a serious, credible threat to the overall health of your beloved activity. You've got a decision to make. Do you hold up a lighter, singing Kum-Bye-Yah, doing nothing as the game devolves to the most common denominator, or do you voice your opinion every time the topic comes up?

LPC's are the poster children for lame caching. Typically, an LPC is going to bring you to 500 acres of blacktop laden with exhaust fumes, and bristling with soccer mom driven SUV's. Not exactly an inspired location. The container of an LPC is typically a film canister, which is only slightly better than a cardboard box at protecting it's contents. Not exactly an inspiring container. Typically, the hide technique takes about 11 nanoseconds to figure out. I'm kinda dense, so it actually took me dang near a full quarter of a second to determine where the first LPC I hunted was located. Not exactly an inspired hide technique.

There are some cachers, (myself included), who have seen firsthand the negative impact lame caches can have on the community. Because we recognize lameness to be a threat to the game, we opt to speak out against it.

Then you have those folks who agree that the average LPC is lame, but don't see lameness as a threat to the game. These folks also have a voice, and should feel free to express their beliefs. These folks, along with those who see insipid hides as a threat, often come up with their own means of avoiding such caches, so that they don't have to experience lameness.

Hope that clears things up for you! :angry:

Then you have those folks who agree that the average LPC is lame, but don't see lameness as a threat to the game. These folks also have a voice, and should feel free to express their beliefs.
More often than not, these folks either get shouted down by certain cachers, or watch others get shouted down & don't bother to post at all. B)

I'm placing my bet early: 53 posts for this thread. :angry:

I like LPCs.

I'm not a fan of trolls in the forums. Was this thread opened for any other reason than to start an argument about LPCs?

I don't see the OP as a troll. The OP has started several topics recently. This is typical behavior from a young person who is curious about geocaching. They ask a lot of questions and it annoys the adults. B)

I guess I don't understand the people who seriously dislike them why they complain

Allow me to explain;

Imagine there was an activity that you loved above all others. Now imagine you detect what you believe to be a serious, credible threat to the overall health of your beloved activity. You've got a decision to make. Do you hold up a lighter, singing Kum-Bye-Yah, doing nothing as the game devolves to the most common denominator, or do you voice your opinion every time the topic comes up?

LPC's are the poster children for lame caching. Typically, an LPC is going to bring you to 500 acres of blacktop laden with exhaust fumes, and bristling with soccer mom driven SUV's. Not exactly an inspired location. The container of an LPC is typically a film canister, which is only slightly better than a cardboard box at protecting it's contents. Not exactly an inspiring container. Typically, the hide technique takes about 11 nanoseconds to figure out. I'm kinda dense, so it actually took me dang near a full quarter of a second to determine where the first LPC I hunted was located. Not exactly an inspired hide technique.

There are some cachers, (myself included), who have seen firsthand the negative impact lame caches can have on the community. Because we recognize lameness to be a threat to the game, we opt to speak out against it.

Then you have those folks who agree that the average LPC is lame, but don't see lameness as a threat to the game. These folks also have a voice, and should feel free to express their beliefs. These folks, along with those who see insipid hides as a threat, often come up with their own means of avoiding such caches, so that they don't have to experience lameness.

Hope that clears things up for you! B)

I see LPCs and other urban micros as a sign of the growth of geocaching and not of it's iminent demise. Early adopters of the sport were more likely to be outdoor types woh already owned a GPSr. Urban were a smaller percentage of all caches and more likely to be hidden in a park or along a bike path than in a parking lot. Of course many of these early urban caches went missing frequently. As the sport has grown we have more and more of what I refer to as urban cachers. These include some retired people, families with small children, working people who don't have time to hike to caches, and kids who have to rely on their parents to take them someplace to find caches or find ones they can ride their bicycle or take public transportation to. Urban hides have become much more popular and hiding caches near the mall or big box store makes a lot of sense for these people. LPCs are particularly popular because this hiding spot is in most every urban parking lot. The caches are easy for cachers to find yet relatively safe from muggles. So they last.

Clan Riffster and others see the many urban caches and think there are fewer of the caches they enjoy finding. But this is seldom true. There are certainly more hiking caches. There are probably more of the urban caches in the "cool" and "interesting" spots that CR likes as well. And more caches with creative camoflage and hiding techniques. The biggest complaint against LPCs and other so-called "lame" hides, is that you can't always filter them out from those urban caches in "cool" spots or with unique camouflage. But you can avoid most of them with a little effort by looking at the cache in Google maps before you go looking for it. Parking lots show up mostly black while parks are mostly green B) Some people have the capacity to see that a cache is going to be in there parking lot and just keep going to the next cache. Lots of people also accept that not every cache is going to be the greatest hide and will find the LPCs with the hopes that the next cache will be better.

It seems strange that people will accept yet another ammo can under a pile of sticks but complain that there are too many LPCs. Sometimes I hear that the hike or the location makes the "lame" ammo can hide worth it. It would be nice to have some kind of attributes that caches can use to indicate the cache takes you to someplace with special scenic, historic, or cultural value and not just another Wal*Mart parking lot. Of course this starts to sound like the "wow" requirement that existed for virtual caches when they were permittted. Simply allowing the cache hider to add the attribute will help, until someone decides to put the scenic attribute on their Wal*Mart hide because they believe Wal*Mart stores are scenic. Premium members can help by starting bookmark lists of urban caches in special places. Perhaps this could develop into something like Waymarking, where the "Scenic urban cache lover's" group will review submissions and decide which caches to add to their list.

on the name i meant to say lpc not lps

At least you didn't type lds. B):angry:

I've found an LPC at an LDS church. I've also found an LPC at a Catholic church. And I've found one at Cornerstone4's church. LPCs are non-denominational. B)

Then you have those folks who agree that the average LPC is lame, but don't see lameness as a threat to the game.

Then there are still others, that don't see LPCs and something to avoid, or as a threat to the game. I've enjoyed finding lots of them, and will enjoy finding lots more.

Then you have those folks who agree that the average LPC is lame, but don't see lameness as a threat to the game.

Then there are still others, that don't see LPCs and something to avoid, or as a threat to the game. I've enjoyed finding lots of them, and will enjoy finding lots more.

i wish there was a place with no lpcs

Why? Who's forcing you to find the ones in your area? They're probably there because other people like them. Go look at how many finds they have.

I like puzzle caches, but I don't like puzzle caches that use Soduku puzzles. I think they're lame. Should I want to rid the world (or my area) or Soduku caches? I don't care that so many people enjoy finding them that they're being placed everywhere, I want them to go away. I can't filter Soduku puzzles from my PQs, and that means that I'm forced to see them and they waste my time. I don't know they're a Soduku puzzle until I open the cache page and look at it. Oh the humanity. :angry:

Edited by Mushtang

I don't see the OP as a troll. The OP has started several topics recently. This is typical behavior from a young person who is curious about geocaching. They ask a lot of questions and it annoys the adults. B)

Oh, I missed this. Oops.

Well, in that case I'll just let it go.

[Quiggle sighs in relief]

Unless maybe Clan Riffster and his crew want to take this one around for a few dozen laps? I can call SBell and KBI in. B)

[Quiggle starts to grimmace again]

B)B)B)B)B):angry:

(just kidding, I'm volunteering myself to be done here so I don't get booted again)

Just wondering, how many caches are in Lolo,MT.?

10 within 4 miles. 7 of which are ours. One of which is a Lamp Post Cache we visit fairly often since it's container is about 6X4X2 and can hold lots of coins. :angry:

Lamp Post Cache

<insert snide comment about everything being bigger in MT> B)

We just got back from 2 weeks in Los Angeles, CA. Of the 112 caches we found, there were only about 12-15 caches that were LPCs. We did drive by another 5 or 6 that we didn't bother searching for as the area was not pleasant enough to bother stopping.

We REALLY enjoyed this CA LPC: Lame Lamp Post

-J

I’m a newb and I’m trying to gather my thoughts on what I really think about this game. My focus isn’t to gather as many caches as possible but I’d rather see new and interesting places. I steer clear of most micros if they are in some kind of parking lot or shopping center. I really don’t understand the point of it. Most caches around me are placed with thought in mind to walk a new trail, see a cave or even see a small cemetery, which I found interesting. But, people are free to place them wherever they want and it’s up to you to choose weather to find them or not. Maps are a wonderful thing.

Nanomite :angry:

10 within 4 miles. 7 of which are ours. One of which is a Lamp Post Cache we visit fairly often since it's container is about 6X4X2 and can hold lots of coins. :angry:

Lamp Post Cache

We just got back from 2 weeks in Los Angeles, CA. Of the 112 caches we found, there were only about 12-15 caches that were LPCs. We did drive by another 5 or 6 that we didn't bother searching for as the area was not pleasant enough to bother stopping.

-J

I just put Lolo,MT. into the address field on the search page. I set the limit for a 10 mile radius and got 162 hits.

Lamp Post Cache

-J

I just put Lolo,MT. into the address field on the search page. I set the limit for a 10 mile radius and got 162 hits.

There are 380 within 50 miles of the Lamp Post cache. 104 of which we have not found yet. Missoula, MT is only 4 or 5 miles from Lolo by crowflight.

Nunavut :angry:

Edit: I don't know why that takes you to the "Canada" page, and not the "Nunavut" page, but you get the idea.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I can imagine that, I just haven't seen it yet. In any activity I'm involved in.

I think LPC's are fine. And I've decided that I'm not going to let any detractor of any type/style of cache change my feelings about the cache they detest.

LPC's are not the end of the world.

Clan Riffster and others see the many urban caches and think there are fewer of the caches they enjoy finding.

I don't want to come off sounding like I'm being argumentative here, since this is another great Toz post, but that statement's not accurate. If what I expressed seems to fit this belief, allow me to apologize for not being specific enough in my explanation. There are so many caches of the types I enjoy now, (ammo cans in the woods/decon kits where ammo cans won't fit & cleverly hidden urban micros), that I'd have to outlive Methuselah just to find all the current ones within 100 miles of me. Every day, folks keep adding more kewl caches to the mix for me to find. I gotta tell you, I am spoiled here. I remain a very happy cacher. :blink:

While it's true, (by my perception), that an occasional LPC will prevent a hide type closer to my preference, I can't fault the hider of the LPC for not waiting. Uninspired people need places to hide stuff too, and parking lots offer the perfect medium. No need to overheat the ol' grey matter. Just drive up, shove a film canister under a skirt and hit "Mark". Another cache is born. Whoo Hoo... :blink::laughing: Those who fuss about losing hiding spots to LPC's should've hidden something there themselves.

One of the greatest examples of LPC tolerance I've ever read came from Sbell. He pointed out that, due to their easy to locate nature, even if you do accidentally find yourself on an LPC hunt, it'll be over in less than a minute, and you can cheerfully get back to hunting clever hides. (or words to that effect) :blink:

One of the greatest examples of LPC tolerance I've ever read came from Sbell. He pointed out that, due to their easy to locate nature, even if you do accidentally find yourself on an LPC hunt, it'll be over in less than a minute, and you can cheerfully get back to hunting clever hides. (or words to that effect) :blink:

I can't vouch for the veracity of the quote, but it is certainly true that I've personally found myself on a LPC hunt and had the cache in hand before I realized I wasn't having fun. I put it back unsigned. It simply wasn't worth one more second of wasted time. I can ignore it here faster than I can log it.

I often enjoy LPCs, especially while traveling. I don't see them as a danger to the game. Apparently, they endanger the ease to which those cachers who 'hate' them are able to find caches that aren't them without doing any work to avoid them, but that's certainly not a danger to the game itself.

In general, if I'm not having fun playing this silly game, I think it has more to do with my attitude than the caches that I'm looking for.

I like LPCs.

I'm not a fan of trolls in the forums. Was this thread opened for any other reason than to start an argument about LPCs?

I just saw this thread now...

Ditto

and also the all standard-

:blink:

I'm thinking the regulars will have 'er shut down in about oh.......3 pages.

I actually do not mind LPC's. What i wish is that people would get more creative with them. So far, it has been the same old film canisters, over and over.

I dont know why, but i dont seem to mind. The kids like it. And we especially like the ones at Walmart because we always seem to need to go there.

I often enjoy LPCs, especially while traveling.

Can you explain what you enjoy about them?

Thanks for asking.

Like all traditional geocaches, they serve my primary goals of geocaching. They remove my posterior from my couch and free my mind from life's drama. Outside my home area, they serve an additional purpose of helping me become familiar with the area.

Hey, who changed the topic? I prefer discussing lps. I agree lps are bad. They get scratched real easily and these days its impossible to find a phonograph to play them on. I'll stick to playing cds. :blink:

I agree, but those can be damaged, also.

On a recent visit, my sister showed me these cool little cd/dvd protectors. At first, I thought a condom for a dvd was strange, but she explained that they really help keep the grandkids from destroying them.

Hey, who changed the topic? I prefer discussing lps. I agree lps are bad. They get scratched real easily and these days its impossible to find a phonograph to play them on. I'll stick to playing cds. :blink:
Tell me about it. I still have about 200 LPs. :blink: I don't use cds anymore other than to rip them and put them on my mp3 player. :laughing:

Anyhow, I'm not going to partake in yet another LPC discussion. Everyone already knows my opinion about them. Plus I want to stay on Quiggle's good side too! :blink:

;

:blink: I see those that tell me what type of cache to enjoy as a bigger threat to my beloved activity. They are a much greater threat as they only try to instill hostility and elitism among their fellow cachers. Don't like em/ Don't hunt them. I went on a hunt this wknd and came across 3 regular caches. However theywere all in overgrown areas used to dump trash. Broken glass, concrete with exposed wire and re-bar, and other assorted trash. Gimme a LPC anytime over this crap.

:o I see those that tell me what type of cache to enjoy as a bigger threat to my beloved activity.

Wow.... We even got a frowny face out of that one. :ph34r:

So, what's got you so upset? Is anyone here even remotely suggesting what kind of cache you should enjoy?

Yep, you. Your stance that LPCs are harmful to the game indicates that you want them gone - which would leave us one less type to enjoy.

Ah yes, I was wondering when the strawmen were gonna make their appearance. You are inferring quite a bit from my belief. The only person who can deny you your lame cache hunting pleasure is Jeremy, not me. No matter how much I believe insipid cache hides damage the game, they will be here as long as the Boss says they will be here. Even if Jeremy were to suddenly exclaim "LAME CACHES ARE BANNED", would you not still be able to love them? Many folks still love the locationless caches, and as far as I know, they went the way of the dodo. So, how exactly am I directing you on what types of caches you are allowed to like? :ph34r:

<chirp chirp>

I went out with a group for an all day caching trip yesterday. We loaded up the GPSrs with easier regular caches and a few harder puzzle types just in case we happen to drive near them. Well, we decided to try again for a puzzle that has given us trouble before and we ended up looking for it over an hour. This cache doesn't look that hard but this is the 2nd time that we didn't make the find. Anyways, we had a couple in the group that wanted to move on and so we did. First cache we came to afterwards was an LPC. I didn't even get out of the car but the two that wanted to move on were in hog heaven.

For me, finding that one challenging cache would have made my day. For them, the the more smilies the better. That's what they like and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't care too much for lpcs but there's no doubt that they do have a following.

<snip> or do you voice your opinion every time the topic comes up?<snip>

Eventually the same people arguing the same thing over and over again ad nauseam gets real old real quick. I think it's one of the main reasons why more people don't frequent these forums and why some who did don't any longer. It's gotten so bad that it has previously spilled over into other threads that have nothing to do with it and probably will again in the future. At some point some of you are just going to have to agree to disagree.

well, on a day of gruelling hunts sometimes it's just nice to open the car door and sign a log. kind of a pick-me-up between point a and point b.

i'm not real impressed with 'em and i wouldn't be sad if every one of 'em suddenly disappeared. if most of your cache career is LPCs, i'm not real impressed with your caching credentials, either. thing is, it matters not one bit whether or not i think you're hardcore.

truthfully, it doesn't matter if there are LPCs or people who dash from parking lot to parking lot. it does't matter if you find every cache or even if you can. i hope you're having a good time. come home in one piece.