Anybody know what this is?

fox-and-the-hound

Thanks everybody, I found it! It's a Nerodia sipedon or "Northern Banded Water Snake" :D

"These are NOT Water Moccasins, there are NO Water Moccasins in the Northeast( Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland and Pennsylvania. A true venomous Water Moccasin requires the warmer temperatures of Southern United States. This thick bodied heavily keeled animal has a broad head and a possibly menacing appearance. They may appear ferocious when encountered but once again this is the snake pretending to be dangerous, in reality its teeth are small and any bite is superficial. They generally haunt water ways and can be seen basking by the waters edge, in bushes or swimming along the shoreline. They typically do not stray far from water and may often be found dead on the road as they move from area to area. Identification is easy, they are dark brown with a faint banded reddish pattern which is more distinct when the animal is wet. The belly is white with reddish checkering. They will flatten their large head and strike repeatedly when defending themselves. They may often behave spastic as they try to escape a dangerous situation. They may RATTLE their tail and will musk the handler until they calm down and danger appears to have passed. This snake has a similar appearance to the Timber Rattle Snake but lacks the obvious RATTLE and is completely harmless. If you encounter this snake you will often see it in or at the edge of a pond or lake. It feeds on fish and amphibians and a large female reach 48". This snake will often calm down in a short time and can be handled without biting the handler once this is done." :unsure:

Guess I wasn't in any danger except for some heart palpitations - lol.

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

As far as I know except for maybe a couple of species of rattlers, there aren't any poisonous snakes in the Northeast US

You forgot:

Copperhead

http://pages.cthome.net/rwinkler/copperhead.htm

Yes, forgot that one, thanks!

That's what my first guess was because of the viper shaped head. I know if I saw one of those in the wild I'd get the heck out of the way. But the eyes do look wrong for a copperhead must be one of those watersnakes. Out here sometimes people get gopher snakes and rattlesnakes mixed up because the coloring is similar.

It's definately a northern watersnake. They usually bite when handled, but are not venomous. yep, i'm 100% sure.

I agree. I'm a pretty big snake fan and have been bitten by one of these guys. They are often confused with the Copperhead.

Depending on what part of the country you're from, you can kind of tell by the eyes if it's poisonous or not. Most of the poisonous snakes in the US are vipers and they have slitted pupils. The coral snake isn't a viper though and has a round pupil, so you'd have to remember the limric to know if it's a coral or if it's something like a king snake or such (there are a few snakes out there colored similar to a coral snake).

looks like a Timber Rattlesnake

It sure looked like a timber rattlesnake to me too, based on the five or six I have encountered. I guess its hard to tell without seeing the rattle (or lack thereof) end ?

Oh I see what you mean about the eyes though...looks kinder and gentler than the rattlesnake, and it definitely matches up to the northern watersnake google images. Always nice to learn something new. Nice Lips! B)

SIA0966.jpg

Edited by trowel32

It's definately a northern watersnake. They usually bite when handled, but are not venomous. yep, i'm 100% sure.

... and 100% correct. Lots of people confuse them with copperheads or rattlesnkes if they haven't spent much time watching snakes. The Hognosed snake guess wasn't so bad, but they are lighter in color and the pattern isn't really the same either. Water snakes can be very bold and nasty so give them some room when you see them.

... and 100% correct. Lots of people confuse them with copperheads or rattlesnkes if they haven't spent much time watching snakes. The Hognosed snake guess wasn't so bad, but they are lighter in color and the pattern isn't really the same either. Water snakes can be very bold and nasty so give them some room when you see them.

I try not to spend a lot of time watching them (snakes of all types). I'm a big chicken. I went out to bag a few on Sunday and came across a rattlesnake enroute. Then a mountain biker came up the trail and told me he saw three on the trail within the next mile. I'll admit it, I turned around and went home. Now I'm mad because I went a week without a cache! Ugh!