Coordinates 10 meters off

vespax

Is this a big issue?

I get this somewhat often from cachers who inform me that my cache coordinates are +/- 10m wrong from where they found the actual cache box. I have just laughed it off in the past but thought I would ask the question to everyone. Is it really a problem?

I mean we are using handheld receivers picking up signals from little satellites far above us to find a little container. 10m seems really accurate to me. Plus, geocaching is about the hunt.

"Where you are the search engine."

Getting to 10m is close, from there you have to get your hands dirty, roll up those sleeves and get searching.

Comments? Angry posts?

*Not criticizing anyone personally here. Please don't take offense. Just discussion. :unsure:

We don't have a problem. Just read the clues and widen your search.

The co-ordinates are never going to be one hundred percent accurate.

We have found caches that are more than 20 metres out.

The point of caching is the 'hunt'. One feels so much more rewarded if you actually had to search.

Our 2 cents worth.

Getting to 10m is close, from there you have to get your hands dirty, roll up those sleeves and get searching.

Or for some..... time to pick up the phone :lol::D

Vespax, it’s well documented that you have a dud GPSr, get it sorted! You can have it tested and calibrated, contact Avnic or the Huskies :D

It seems to be a common activity at some events where cachers are required to find a coordinate in an open field and place a flag, the closest wins a prize. You’ll find the flags spread over a large area. In theory two people walking to find a cache with two units each reading a reported accuracy of 10m could in affect reach “ground zero” 20m apart or more…

Wouldn't consider +/-7m an issue (in challenging semi vertical terrain that 10m could quickly become 60m though). Anything over 10m may require a bit of investigation especially if cachers are consistently reporting the same issue. This however depends on the cache, it's difficulty rating, the clues and the location. If these have been appropriately stated then it should be fine.

Get your hands dirty and enjoy the hunt. If you want caches with neon signs, go overseas :D

Oh, and..... So more Shops in PE........ 14m :unsure:

Edited by GlobalRat

It is also true that the coordinates are sometimes taken so carefully and reached with the same precision that the hunter is standing 30cm from the cache at Ground Zero (which actually referred to an nuclear situation - in which case it does not matter). - blink - :D

That is why "some cache hiders" conveniantly forget to take the coordinates until they get to the car. :unsure: to enrich the hunting experience. I believe all geocachers is still letterboxers at heart and love the hunt by "clues" factor. :D

I wonder if it is so hard to get co-ord more accurate. Leave the reciever for a while or take a few readings and average them, this is pretty good as the first is normally off by a few meters.

Some caches 2 m can make a differece, it all depends on the complexity of the terain.

I will always carry a cell phone for that very reason though, others may be smarter than u when it comes to finding cache

Vespax, it’s well documented that you have a dud GPSr, get it sorted! You can have it tested and calibrated, contact Avnic or the Huskies :D

Oh, and..... So more Shops in PE........ 14m :unsure:

I should be offended by that right? :D Well I'm not! lol

14m, I say that is pretty good. You either found a parking lot, a road or the cache location.

My GPS has found me 400+ caches and still going strong. I used it the other day to capture coordinates for fuel tanks at work and when I loaded them into GE they were spot on. So it is not just my GPS. :D

I just think people get picky with ground zero locations. Get to the general area and start looking. If after an hour you want to use a life-line, than ok. But don't say in the log that you were 10m out because I can blame it on your gps as well.

I do average all my cache locations up to <5m accuracy when placing them. And I even go back and check on them with my GPS and I get to the 'right' area. A tree, a boulder, a mountain might interfere but I am sticking with my format and you all will just have to struggle through to log my caches! :lol:

Hi Vespax

You do know that Google Earth is by design not accurate with the coordinates to circumvent the intellectual copyrights of the producers of the maps. So please use a surveyor for those tanks - doesn't it require a certificate of sorts for the placement? You guys in the Cape already faces an energy cricis, don't add to it. :unsure:

No disrespect intended. :D

They do and that is why I am there. General GPS coordinates are adequate for my reports. No surveyor required.

Care to explain that GE thing there? They license the photographs from various places, and as far as I know try to be as accurate as possible with image georeferencing and content features such as roads and boundaries. Why would offsetting features circumvent copyright?

WC has a slight energy problem, but Gauteng has been having a worse time recently. :angry:

They license the photographs from various places, and as far as I know try to be as accurate as possible with image georeferencing and content features such as roads and boundaries. Why would offsetting features circumvent copyright?

Check it out carefully, you'll notice GE isn't very accurate, gives an idea of a location. When you zoom in and out and move around, you'll see that a waypoint jumps around and isn't always displayed in the same position.

WC has a slight energy problem, but Gauteng has been having a worse time recently. B)

Dunno which idiot decided to divert half our power to the cape...whatever for....? B)

14m, that's pathetic B)B) I would complain to Garmin :angry:

Google Earth - my understanding is that the co-ords from the geocaching link (kml file) are intentionally fuzzed by GE (not sure why), hence the fact that they jump around as you zoom in and out. You can overcome this by typing, or copying and pasting the co-ords from the cache listing into the "fly to" input box - then they don't jump around at all. I have found that GE photos are generally quite accurate, but can be misaligned by up to 20m at times. Hope this helps.

Interesting that there are several cachers in the UK who cache using GE and not a GPS, and they seem to find them OK. We couldn't find a puzzle cache on the day we left Cardiff. When we got home, we checked it on Google Earth and spotted our error. Out of curiosity, I emailed my muggle daughter a GE snapshot of the location, and asked if she and her boyfriend would like to hunt it. They did, and found it quite easily!!! I tried to convince them to create an account on GC and log it, but they didn't take the bait. :angry:

Vespax, don't stress about co-ords being 10m out. My opinion - judge it by the logs on your cache - only if there are too many DNF's and too much frustration coming through is it a problem.

Check it out carefully, you'll notice GE isn't very accurate, gives an idea of a location. When you zoom in and out and move around, you'll see that a waypoint jumps around and isn't always displayed in the same position.

You must be trying this using the geocaching kml for cache locations. It is common knowledge that those waypoints are offset by up to 200m to prevent anyone from using it to find caches. When you manually add coordinates from your GPS 9for example) the waypoint stays in the exact same position. I just looked at a site in Franschhoek (with terrain on/off) and it remains in the same exact spot where I can see the thing I marked. GE is accurate with its imagery.

Dunno which idiot decided to divert half our power to the cape...whatever for....? B)

14m, that's pathetic B)B) I would complain to Garmin B)

That would be because we are just slightly more enlightened down here! :angry:

14m... that's fine for me. I am not replacing the GPS instead buying a new Macbook soon!

Google Earth - my understanding is that the co-ords from the geocaching link (kml file) are intentionally fuzzed by GE (not sure why), hence the fact that they jump around as you zoom in and out. You can overcome this by typing, or copying and pasting the co-ords from the cache listing into the "fly to" input box - then they don't jump around at all. I have found that GE photos are generally quite accurate, but can be misaligned by up to 20m at times. Hope this helps.

Interesting that there are several cachers in the UK who cache using GE and not a GPS, and they seem to find them OK. We couldn't find a puzzle cache on the day we left Cardiff. When we got home, we checked it on Google Earth and spotted our error. Out of curiosity, I emailed my muggle daughter a GE snapshot of the location, and asked if she and her boyfriend would like to hunt it. They did, and found it quite easily!!! I tried to convince them to create an account on GC and log it, but they didn't take the bait. B)

Vespax, don't stress about co-ords being 10m out. My opinion - judge it by the logs on your cache - only if there are too many DNF's and too much frustration coming through is it a problem.

You are right, I am not stressing just wondering why people comment on 10m differences. I have found a couple of caches without GPS, so yes, planning beforehand on GE is very doable.

It is common knowledge that those waypoints are offset by up to 200m to prevent anyone from using it to find caches. When you manually add coordinates from your GPS 9for example) the waypoint stays in the exact same position. I just looked at a site in Franschhoek (with terrain on/off) and it remains in the same exact spot where I can see the thing I marked. GE is accurate with its imagery.

I wasn't aware it was as much as 200m... who said you can't learn anything new from the forums :) . However, I have noticed that taking a waypoint of a known location and plugging this into GE, it is still sometimes offset. Anyway I only use it as a curiosity and accept any built in error, close enough for me.

I do know of a couple in the midlands (UK) that cache without a GPSr, cellphone, or GE. Just read the logs and descriptions and hints, and yep, they find them. They do of course have landranger maps to narrow things down a bit. Having done some of the caches that they have found.... some are real easy and pretty obvious once you're within 30/40m, others...they must have cache detectors built into their brains or be extremely persistent with good all weather gear and the best wellies.

I have found a couple of caches without GPS

... I'm tempted :):blink: , but won't... this type of jovial banter and digging is best done over a few beers/wine ... some folks might just take this all to seriaaaaaaaaasly :laughing:

Never mind the 10m, I've read numerous logs where cachers are complaining about coords being 5m out :blink: may these poor souls never hunt for a cache in London

Enlightened.... :blink: electric spinach mebbe :)

... I'm tempted :):blink: , but won't... this type of jovial banter and digging is best done over a few beers/wine ... some folks might just take this all to seriaaaaaaaaasly :laughing:

True dat.

Never mind the 10m, I've read numerous logs where cachers are complaining about coords being 5m out :blink: may these poor souls never hunt for a cache in London.

I wasn't even going there, but yeah, have noticed the 5m phenomenon myself.

Perhaps it is the csX that is making people be ultra-sensitive with GZ? :blink:

BTW-will be in the north searching for caches next week.

BTW-will be in the north searching for caches next week.

I'll purposefully place some caches where the coords are 10m out, that way you'll be spot on :laughing:

I'll lend you my GPS so you get it right. Would hate for your GPS to throw the whole thing off. :blink:

Now where can I get a cache container that is about 10 meter long. Then i don't have to worry about the co-ords been out a bit.

Haa haa this is too much. One of my caches happened to be half a kilo off. But it was found. Sometimes people slip up on co-ords.

Now where can I get a cache container that is about 10 meter long. Then i don't have to worry about the co-ords been out a bit.

There are a few here in Cape Town that I have been wanting to get my hands on, but hiding might be a bit problem-matic. There are easily 10m long and some have Sea/Land or Mearsk written on the sides of them. :ph34r:

Go check em out on the side of the N1 near milnerton.

Problem is what do I put in it? 1000's of little things or something big. Just imagine:

This is a high value cache, please exchange with something of similar value around R80K to R100K.

Please replace the container as you found it. Bring your own earth moving equipment. Cache is well hidden under a few boulders.

Make sure you bring some camping equipment should you wish to try this cache alone.....

I can just imagine batsgonemad camouflaging it!!!!

Eish, who ever said geocaching would be easy.......

Bats, i must check up on your Newcastle view for you. I will definitely get dirty with that one now, the ground is blackened by a recent fire. Luckily I moved the Mossel bay Diabetes TB and a geocoin from there just before the fire. Will inform if the cache is still ok, should be in the place it is stashed.

I agree though, caches should be a little hard to find. Makes it more interesting. Love rock cache was about two meters from where my GPSr was indicating but I took forever to find it. Was well worth the effort in the end.

Bats, i must check up on your Newcastle view for you. I will definitely get dirty with that one now, the ground is blackened by a recent fire. Luckily I moved the Mossel bay Diabetes TB and a geocoin from there just before the fire. Will inform if the cache is still ok, should be in the place it is stashed.

I agree though, caches should be a little hard to find. Makes it more interesting. Love rock cache was about two meters from where my GPSr was indicating but I took forever to find it. Was well worth the effort in the end.

hey we'll be in newcastle in August for the long weekend not sure when we arrive but we can at least get together for a cup of coffee at Gekoes (spelling)

Sure thing. Was going to check on your cache yesterday but didn't feel well will probably go up and check it later today. I want to drop another one or two caches here in Newcastle. Got some spots in mind.

Was in Gecko's (Spelled) yesterday for coffee funnily enough.

Edited by Wazat

60cs???? what.... All of these spoilt geocachers!

Bats, Whostops and I have found a cache 100m out and my masking-tape-covered, scratch etrax venture, loose reception as soon as there is a hit of cloud or tree cover GPSr still treats me well.

Lets hope I never get lost in the Congo because my GPSr will be useless. C and I have found 500 odd caches with an assortment of cheaper GPS's, quite a few at night and people that can get the co-ords below 5m just piss me off :D Seriously, who doesn’t take multiple readings for a cache placement???!!!??? :D

(oh wait that is us.....)

My 2 cents.

I think that in certain areas, especially where flora needs to be protected, 10 m makes a huge difference and cachers placing caches should try and think what might happen when cachers start searching for a cache. Unfortuantely if the clue is not suffiecient, lots of rocks get turned over and lots of plants get damaged, usually a whole area. Not good for a low impact sport.

So it is not only about searching with sensitivity, but also placing with sensitivity.

;);)

My 2 cents.

I think that in certain areas, especially where flora needs to be protected, 10 m makes a huge difference and cachers placing caches should try and think what might happen when cachers start searching for a cache. Unfortuantely if the clue is not suffiecient, lots of rocks get turned over and lots of plants get damaged, usually a whole area. Not good for a low impact sport.

So it is not only about searching with sensitivity, but also placing with sensitivity.

:D:D

aND THATS WHY I LOVE URBAN CACHING nothing like running around the concreate jungle

My 2 cents.

:blink::laughing:

HEHEHE... One wonders if another 10m is not just far two walk/ climb when the verticle factor is taken into account! :laughing::D:laughing:

Yes, yes, yes protect them pretty trees. Who else would let me hug them :blink:

Bats, to feed back on the below quote....

Sure thing. Was going to check on your cache yesterday but didn't feel well will probably go up and check it later today.

Ended up only checking on the cache yesterday, I was caught by the flu bug. The Newcastle view cache area was ravaged by an almighty veldfire and I am pleased to say that the cache is alive and well. Not an inch of molten plastic to be found. I did happen to find about an inch of the naughty magazines that were left in the vicinity. Seems like the fire did a good job of a bad thing.