GPS and Airlines

My personal preference is to keep all my electronic stuff with me while traveling. I just don't trust putting the fun (and expensive) things in baggage where I have no control. I have never exerienced any problems.

Enjoy California! :smile:

I asked when boarding American Airlines and they said NOT to turn it on in flight. Reason given was that it could interfere with their instruments.

Well it actually can't... but they like to err on the side of caution. I used mine on a flight from Montana to Michigan with no problems. Stewardess even saw it a few times. It was really crazy to see the max speed at close to 600MPH.

found this poking around....

This is a question that generates a lot of comment and confusion on the newsgroup, but few people have the necessary experience to give an answer based on reasoned engineering experience. Here are my answers and comments.

1) GPS Receivers are known to radiate RF energy from the oscillators and computer logic circuits inside the GPS. Won't this possibly interfere with the navigation equipment on airplanes?

Answer:

Every electronic device with a computer or oscillator inside radiates *some* radio frequency energy. The key word is *some*. A cellular telephone, ham radio transmitter, business band radio transmitter, CB radio or similar transmitting device is DESIGNED to radiate significant amounts of RF energy. They *DO* have the potential to interfere with various Avionics equipment and SHOULD NEVER be used on board an aircraft during flight. Many airlines prohibit their use at all times while on board a commercial airliner.

With other electronic devices, such as laptop computers, electronic games, AM and FM Radio receivers, and the like, the answers are not so black and white. There are documented cases of AM/FM radios causing interference with Avionic systems and as a result, AM/FM radio receivers are generally prohibited. Most electronic games are cheaply built and do not have the same FCC mandated requirements for shielding as do other electronic systems such as computers and GPS receivers.. Even though these game devices are low power, they have been accused of interference with Avionics during the terminal navigation phase and so are prohibited except during cruise (typically above 10,000 feet). Laptop computers are now in widespread use by passengers in airplanes. While these devices are relatively high overall power consumption (in the 10 watt range) they are generally well designed, with adequate shielding. As a result, laptop computers are allowed to be used during the cruise portions of virtually all passenger airline flights.

Well then, What about GPS Receivers?

GPS receivers are very low power devices. The typical TOTAL energy used is less than a one watt rate. If all of this power were converted to RF, then there WOULD be a problem. However, the fact is that a) only a very tiny part of this energy is capable of being converted to power that *might* generate RFI and :unsure: the designers of GPS receivers are required to consider RFI during the design so that the finished product passes FCC Part 15 Class B (residential) EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) tests. (Note: Contrary to some people's intuition, Class B (residential) EMI testing is considerably more stringent than Class A (Industrial/Commercial) EMI tests. This is because in residential situations, a neighbor may be just 10 feet away whereas in industrial environments, neighbors are usually further away.) c) By design, (or happy accident), the "spurs" generated by a GPS generally fall outside the communications frequencies used by Aircraft and so have not been a problem even though a few "spurs" exist. (If no one is listening on a frequency where a potential RFI signal exists, then there is no interference.)

What is the TRACK RECORD of GPS receivers in so far as EMI is concerned? Garmin and Magellan tell us that there has never been a REPORT of any problem caused to any avionics system as a result of the use of a GPS on an aircraft. No pilot or engineer on the GPS newsgroup has ever reported a GPS receiver causing interference to an avionics system on an aircraft. About 80% of the airlines in our survey permit the use of handheld GPS receivers by passengers. I believe it is safe to say, "If EMI from a handheld GPS were a problem *somebody* would have noticed it by now". My conclusion therefore is that the use of a low power GPS receiver on an aircraft is substantially less likely than a laptop computer to generate significant amounts of EMI and since laptop computers are judged "safe" then GPS receivers are "safer".

2) But SOME airlines do not permit the use of GPS receivers. Why is that if they are "safe"?

Answer:

Some safety officials are more cautious than others. Some are less technically competent than others. If there is a "potential hazard", no matter how insignificant, it is always easier to say "no" if you have no basis for a decision. In the case at hand, to say, "yes, it is safe to use a GPS on board an aircraft" requires a substantial amount of technical knowledge and expertise in a complex field. To say "no" you cannot use a GPS on board an aircraft requires no such skills and is "safe" in many contexts.. (Note: One aviation industry EMI expert who reviewed this material suggests that my reasoning above is overly harsh. He states that *some* safety experts are fearful that some FUTURE Avionics equipment may incur harmful interference from a GPS and once the GPS "barn door" is open, it will be difficult to close it.)

3) If a GPS is safe, why can't I use it on an airplane anyway, even if the pilot says NO?

Answer:

This would be a) unwise, :D illegal and c) dangerous. Never presume that you have more authority than the Captain of a ship! He is responsible for the lives of his passengers and likely has knowledge and experience about his aircraft and/or equipment and/or this particular flight that no one else has.. The use of a GPS by a passenger is NOT worth a confrontation and a possible visitation from the police or FBI when you land..

4) I have used my GPS during takeoff and landing and nothing happened. Why can't I keep doing it?

Answer:

Takeoff and landings are the most dangerous parts of a flight. Even though the likelihood of an EMI problem from a GPS receiver is low, there is no reason to take a chance on interference with a critical system during a critical moment during takeoff and landings. The life you save could be mine (and yours).

5) You are WRONG! I put my GPS a foot or two from my scanner and I can hear "spurs" at several frequencies. Therefore, the GPS CAN cause EMI problems.

Answer:

Yes, you can hear a "spur" at some discrete points with a wideband scanner. However, these "spurs" are very low power and the typical scanner receiver is not well shielded. The energy thus radiated can only be DETECTED a few feet away and a) such signals will not normally cause problems with communications receivers since the signal energy dissipates as the SQUARE of the distance between the radiator and the receiver. Probably the main reason why these "potential" RFI signals have not been a problem is that these "spurs" have not been found to fall on frequencies used for aircraft navigation and communications. Such "spurs" have the "potential" to cause problems, but due to the small signal levels and the frequency of the GPS receiver spurs, they have SO FAR not been a source of interference to Avionics systems. (Again: If they HAD been a problem, someone would have noticed.)

The BOTTOM LINE (According to Joe)

The interference potential of handheld GPS receivers is minimal. However, no passenger should EVER operate a GPS receiver on board an aircraft except in strict accord with the directives of the flight crew.

My personal preference is to keep all my electronic stuff with me while traveling. I just don't trust putting the fun (and expensive) things in baggage where I have no control. I have never exerienced any problems.

Enjoy California! :D

I do the same thing. There is no way that I'm checking that kind of stuff. :unsure:

they xray checked baggage now too, so it doesn't really matter.

there is a list of airlines that allow the GPS to be used during flight, but I've never had a reason to use mine during a flight, I trust the pilot knows where he's going, and I don't really care if we're going 150 or 250 mph, so long as we get there.

:unsure:

Enjoy California! :unsure:

Ditto - electronics stay with me on flights.

they xray checked baggage now too, so it doesn't really matter.

I ALWAYS take my toys in my carry-on not in my checked luggage.

For me it's a security thing, not the X-rays. I've known too many people who've had their checked electronics disappear. Just last fall, my boss lost his camera on the flgith home from his vacation.

If the electronics are in my carry-on, I know exactly where they are.

Edited by wandererrob

I've always taken my GPS in my carry-on. Mainly for the reasons others have expressed; I don't want it to get lost or stolen. If I arrive at my destination without my suitcase, I can still go caching, even if I don't have a change of clothes. :o

Last year I flew Delta (I think it was Delta) from Columbus, OH to Reno, NV, and tried to use my GPS. The stewardess saw it and asked me to put it away. I didn't read the list of prohibited electronics before I was using it. Last week I flew American Airlines from Columbus to Kona, HI, by way of several stops. GPSr's are on their prohibited list as well, so I didn't even try it. I had previously taken a flight to Florida, but I don't remember the airline, they did allow me to use the GPS the entire way down and back.

I am traveling to California and was wondering if it is safe to pack my GPS in my carry on luggage or should I put it in my suitcase? Will the x-ray damage it in any way?

- Yes, it is safe.

- No, the x-ray will not damge the unit.

Essentially treat it just as you would a laptop computer for example and everything will be hunkie dory. ;-)

I fly regularly (about once a month) with Delta mostly. For a long time I always kept my GPSr with me in my window seat and turned it on while we were at the gate, and watched it until 15 minutes or so into the flight (or longer if we were going over something fun). Then I'd turn it on again and watch the landing.

When I'd be flying back home (Atlanta) it would be more interesting to watch the landing longer to see where the plane would be. I never realized how far past the city we'd go before circling back in sometimes. And at night it was especially cool, since the lights on the ground were unidentifiable usually, but with the GPSr I'd know what mall or highway was below.

It was cool to see how fast we'd be going on takeoff and landing too.

Only once did I ever get asked about it by an employee, but was never told to turn it off.

I don't do it anymore only because I've seen it enough times that it's no longer worth the effort. Now it just stays in the computer bag until I get to the rental car.

Always waypoint the rental car company when it's an off site return!!!!!!!

I always carry on my electronic toys. I have never had a pilot/captain tell me I cannot turn it on during flight after they make the announcement. I have even asked on flights when the airline magazine has included GPSr's in the prohibited equipment list and been given the OK.

But I would never turn it on if I was told no. Disobeying a flight attendent or airplane employee is now a federal crime. On a flight to Philly last week an unhappy, obnoxious, and loud customer was given a special greeting at the gate by security and the Philly PD. :unsure: Even cooler was the unsolicited $50 apology voucher from the coolest airline out there. I'll let you figure out who it was. Southwest of course. :rolleyes:

Edited by wimseyguy

Thanks to everyone for all the great information. I took it on the plane with me, but didn't turn it on. I didn't get a chance to read this before the trip. I am so glad I carried it on with me, because when we got back to Midway my suitcase did not show up. We only checked four bags and we only could find three. If my GPSr was in that suitcase I would not have it now, so that is sound advice. I figured it was safe because I always take my camera on the plane. I am still waiting for my luggage. All my clothes and two bottles are wine are in there. If I get it back the wine will more than likely be gone. :laughing:

I fly regularly (about once a month) with Delta mostly. For a long time I always kept my GPSr with me in my window seat and turned it on while we were at the gate, and watched it until 15 minutes or so into the flight (or longer if we were going over something fun). Then I'd turn it on again and watch the landing.

When I'd be flying back home (Atlanta) it would be more interesting to watch the landing longer to see where the plane would be. I never realized how far past the city we'd go before circling back in sometimes. And at night it was especially cool, since the lights on the ground were unidentifiable usually, but with the GPSr I'd know what mall or highway was below.

Only once did I ever get asked about it by an employee, but was never told to turn it off.

I don't do it anymore only because I've seen it enough times that it's no longer worth the effort. Now it just stays in the computer bag until I get to the rental car.

And that includes turning the unit on and off when instructed. ;-)

http://gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm

Here's a list of which airlines official approve/disapprove of the use of GPS receivers in flight.

Of course, always obey any instructions from any flight crew member.

MM - thanks for the list.

Last year I flew American and researched their GPSr policy on in-flight use. As usual, I missed the sentence where it was prohibited. Because I saw no policy, I asked as we boarded and the flight attendant said it was OK to turn it on above 10,000 feet. As we exited the plane, the pilot/copilot asked me how well it worked.

Later, someone pointed out to me that use was prohibited on AA. I found no caches in the airplane, however.

Sojourners7 - I hope you get your wine back.

I found no caches in the airplane, however.

:D:D

I've got a return trip coming up.Will have my GPS with me this time. ;) Unfortunately it will probably be Lufthansa(Only cause they're on the doesn't approve list,and actually they are an excellent airline.Used them from Kuwait City,Kuwait to Chicago and from Charlotte to Doha,Qatar.No problems,good service),but I'll try anyways.What's worst they do?Say no? ;)

:ph34r: I recently traveled to Philadelphia from Little Rock, via Memphis and Detroit on Northwest. I stored my GPSr in my camera bag when going thru TSA. No problem. On boarding I stopped by the pilots cabin and asked if I could use my GPSr in flight. No one objected. Just obey the "electronic device announcements" The captains even asked me when I deplaned if it worked. I was by the window and it worked perfectly. The only problem was the altimiter reading was false due to the artifical cabin pressure. As a side note the official TSA website says "all electronic devices are allowed". Its really interesting to see what "roads" the plane is flying over. :o

Thanks to everyone for all the great information. I took it on the plane with me, but didn't turn it on. I didn't get a chance to read this before the trip. I am so glad I carried it on with me, because when we got back to Midway my suitcase did not show up. We only checked four bags and we only could find three. If my GPSr was in that suitcase I would not have it now, so that is sound advice. I figured it was safe because I always take my camera on the plane. I am still waiting for my luggage. All my clothes and two bottles are wine are in there. If I get it back the wine will more than likely be gone. :)

I thought I should do a followup on this topic just incase someone else is wondering about this. I am extermely happy that I took the GPSr on the plane with me, because I never did find my suitcase. All my clothes, some gifts, a couple of books, and the wine gone :) ! We sent in a claim to South West and they sent us a check for about the fourth of the cost for all that was lost (stolen). They depreicate the value of everything (and refuse to pay for some things like wine and eletrical stuff). Most of the clothes were brand new.

Lesson learned-- take all the electric toys with you on the plane (as several of you have suggested) and ship the wine home via Fedex, or better yet just drink it all in California. :)

I have alway taken my GPS in my carry on bag.

Years ago I read the fine print on my ticket, I said the airline were not responsible for lost electronic devices and cameras to name a few of the items.

On one trip an airline ticket agent wanted me to check over $2,000.00 in photo gear, I flat out refused unless they would take responsibly for my cameras, after a heated discussion they gave up the argument, a few days after I got home that airline went bankrupt.

I flew with Delta last year. I had my GPS on through the whole flight. Just before landing a flight attendant saw it and yelled at me and threatened to have me arrested if i did not put it away right then and there. She scared me! I won't be using it again unless the Capt says its ok.

The list that Peconic Bay Sailors posted a link to showed that Delta allows GPSr use. Interesting that Ziggy Crew had a bad experience from a Delta flight attendant, who may not have understood her carrier's rules.

I always check the in-flight magazine's published list of what is allowed to see if GPSrs are currently OK or not. If the magazine doesn't specify either way, I think asking a F/A is better than asking a pilot, as the attendants are the ones who will spot you using it and may overreact if they don't know you already asked a pilot.

I flew with Delta last year. I had my GPS on through the whole flight. Just before landing a flight attendant saw it and yelled at me and threatened to have me arrested if i did not put it away right then and there. She scared me! I won't be using it again unless the Capt says its ok.

I hope that you reported the flight attendant for such abusive and rude behavior. Or is that the standard treatment that Delta rewards their customers these days?

Edited by Team Cotati

The list that Peconic Bay Sailors posted a link to showed that Delta allows GPSr use. Interesting that Ziggy Crew had a bad experience from a Delta flight attendant, who may not have understood her carrier's rules.

I always check the in-flight magazine's published list of what is allowed to see if GPSrs are currently OK or not. If the magazine doesn't specify either way, I think asking a F/A is better than asking a pilot, as the attendants are the ones who will spot you using it and may overreact if they don't know you already asked a pilot.

When and where do you find it most convenient to approach "a pilot"?

I always tell people to turn on their GPSr when the flight attendant indicates that it is now ok to turn on your electronic devices. Then to turn them off when the flight attendant indicates that it is now time to turn off your electronic devices.

If at any point during the flight, a flight attendant asks you to turn off your GPSr, turn it off.

I'd strongly advise against bothering the pilot with such trivial matters.

When and where do you find it most convenient to approach "a pilot"?

When I board the plane. The cockpit door is always open at that time and pilots don't mind people asking questions.

A pilot I know very well is always eager to allow people to use their GPS, and doesn't mind at all when customers ask to use it. In fact, he often gives them coordinates of the destination airport if they don't have it just so they can follow the progress as they use it.

Unfortunately he can't override the FAA regulations against having it on during take off and landing.

Pilots are very educated people and will know what the GPS is. They'll be WAY more likely to say yes than a flight attendant that might not have an education at all but knows how to show you how to put on an oxygen mask, how to serve drinks, and how to say no to any question that they don't understand. (I'm not saying ALL flight attendants are that dumb, and of course none of the flight attendants reading this are, but there are SOME FAs that really don't want to be friendly and accommodating even if it's their job to be.)

Assuming that the flight attendant hadn't already given the 'turn off electronic devices' speach, she was out of line. If she had already given the speach, you were in the wrong.

BTW, Delta is one of the airlines that allows GPS usage. They specifically allow calculator usage, also.

Edited by sbell111

Bogus. Never happened, period.

Do you need a really good GPS to track on a plane?

I used one of the modules that hooks to my laptop and goes through my streets and trips, worked fine but really had to aim the thing out the window and move it around till it got a good signal. Keep in mind, you're high up and moving very fast so it's hard to get a good signal lock on many satelites.

I've used it on USAir and United w/ no issues. It's cool to see all the stats and stuff.

Here's something that you might want to try. Get yourself a set of regional road maps, you know like central states, southwest and so on. Really good self-entertainment while on-board and often quite the conversation starter. As soon as your cabin mates learn that you know exactly what surface features that you're passing near by and how much farther you have to go. Also pretty interesting to locate cities at night. Cool.