Geo-dog Cache Finding Methods

bykenut

I recently adopted a 1-year old Chocolate Lab Mix, Mollie, and she seems like the ideal caching dog. In the 5 months that I've had her, Mollie has already found 4 caches. When she finds the cache, she pushes the hiding material out of the way and paws or noses at the cache container.

My previous dog, Zoe, a Vizsla Mix (?), would causally walk up to caches, point to them with her nose and look at me like "Ok, there's the cache. Let's go now.". Zoe didn't seem as good as finding caches as Mollie is, but could be that she wasn't as obvious about it so I didn't notice.

Does your caching pooch find caches? If so, how does s/he indicate s/he has found it?

I recently adopted a 1-year old Chocolate Lab Mix, Mollie, and she seems like the ideal caching dog. In the 5 months that I've had her, Mollie has already found 4 caches. When she finds the cache, she pushes the hiding material out of the way and paws or noses at the cache container.

My previous dog, Zoe, a Vizsla Mix (?), would causally walk up to caches, point to them with her nose and look at me like "Ok, there's the cache. Let's go now.". Zoe didn't seem as good as finding caches as Mollie is, but could be that she wasn't as obvious about it so I didn't notice.

Does your caching pooch find caches? If so, how does s/he indicate s/he has found it?

I just talk to mine in that high pitch excited voice that you wouldn't use if anyone else was around, "Where is it girl, where'd it go?!" and she gets so excited and just starts nosing around. I don't think she really has any clue what she's looking for, but she covers ground a lot faster than me and when she does turn it up she paws at it like, "Oh that must have been what I was looking for..."

She is a 3 year old yellow lab. Awesome dogs for hiking too.

My Ellie is a 2 year old Yellow Lab, and she has found several caches for me. She has a remarkable nose, and I think she smells the scent of the last person that was at the site. She doesn't always indicate to me, as I think she's just 'nosing around', so I have to watch her closely. She doesn't go with me on all trips. She has to have lots of running room, so urban caches are out. She's great company though.

My geohound loves to go caching with me. Unfortunately, unless the cache moves or it has food in it (which of course they never will) he doesnt help me find any. However, he helps in many other ways to help me find the caches. He gives people watching me enter and exit the bushes a sense of security that I am "just walking my dog and letting him do his business in the bushes" and not some predator lurking in the bushes. If there are mugglers nearby, I can use him as an excuse to wait and let them pass by as he sniffs around. And he is big enough to keep any potential "nasty-sorts" mugglers a safe distance away, letting me enjoy geocaching in safety! The only drawback I have had is trying to keep him on a leash when negotiating tough terrain. He is developing my balance though! :rolleyes:

Miko is completely indifferent to it. When we find the cache she wants to keep hiking and hates the fact that we stop.

That's the exact reaction my dog has to caching. He hates when we stop and walk around in one spot for a long time, and he hates it even more if that location contains long grass or lots of brush. He's not much fun in the car, so he doesn't go along often, but he is a good cover when I'm searching in urban parks or rest areas.

I just inherited a German Shepherd named Tryson. I'm hoping to take him out tomorrow to try some caching and hiking. He's almost 2 years old and weighs about 120 lbs. I am just coming to the realization how fast and strong he is! I have a feeling he'll be a good geo-dog as he seems quite inquisitive (nosy).

Step one - check out the caches on the day before you are going to take your pup out.

Step two - Fill the caches with peanut butter. (Pups love peanut butter.) Leave the lid cracked so the pup can smell it easier.

Step three - Let pup loose in the general area of the cache.

Bingo! Instant geodog.