Is Geocaching possibly the most expensive sport/hobby to get into

Well, you have a sweet bike. And you're really good at hooking up with chicks. Plus you're like the only guy at school who has a mustache.

This is too much fun. I feel an OT warning coming on...

:unsure::D:D

I can hear it now: What the heck are you guys doin'? Tryin' to ruin my life and make me look like a freakin' idiot? :D

Knitting and crochetting

yarn from free to hundreds of dollars a skein

tools - again, from free to hundreds of dollars for a hand crafted beauty

magazines, pattern books, patterns - all from free to several hundreds of dollars a publication.

Society for Creative Anachronism (not anarchism, Anachronism as in out of time)

Basic membership (US) 30$USD/year

International membership 35$USD/year

Associate membership 20$USD/year

Additional family members 10$USD/member/year 60$max

Kingdom newsletters - 25$/year pick either a kingdom or a quarterly newsletter as part of your membership.

Quarterly newsletters - 15$/year

Event fees - from free to 150$ or more for the event.

Non member surcharge - 3$ for US events 4$ for Canadian ones.

Costuming - from free (gifts) to several hundred or even thousands of dollars

Food for 6 for a weekend event - minimum 100$

Rapier equipment - sword 200$, helm, 150$, armour starts at 100$

Archers - starting from 50$ for a bow and a few practice arrows

"Non combat" fighters - starting at 100$ for basic armour and weapons

Heavy "combat" fighters - starting at 300$ for basic armour and weapons.

Bribes to seamstress who makes your armour - start with begging and work up from there.

Suit of Armour - 1000$ and up.

Chainmail shirt - 200$ and up

"Bodice Dress" - 80$ (does not include chemise)

Tent basic - 100$.

Tent for 6 - 300$.

A frame tent of period design, Starting at 500$

Yurt - Starts at 1000$.

Marquee - 1800$

Dew Drop Inn - 15000$ and a whole lot of trading and barganning to get to that price.

Being told by the guy who owns the Dew Drop Inn that you can work with him anytime...

Priceless.

Edited by mamid

I have a couple hobbies.

1. Bagpipes

The good ones range from $600-4000.

Bagpipe bag $130

Kilt, mines 6 yards $535

Prince Charlie Jacket $587

Glengarry $80

Hose (socks) $45

Flashes $25

Gillie Brogues (shoes) $180

Hackle(s) $40-60

Sporran $50-300

Nice Tuxedo French cuff shirt $95

Cufflinks that go with theme on Prince Charlie Jacket $80

2. RC Airplanes

I can't count how many I have had all of them range from $150-400

You crash a lot when you are first learning and when you are racing you crash.

RC Controller a good one $150-2000

All the nick knacks that you need to go with flying. I can't remember all of them $? a lot

When I go to buy stuff for flying I usually walk out of the hobby store after paying $100-500

3. Private Pilot

This I am just getting into

Used Plane $10,000-40,000

New Plane $35,000 and up

AV Gas in my area is right around $4.40

You burn usually any where from 10-15 gallons an hour.

If you rent a plane a one hour flight in a wet (fueled) plane $100

Instructor (ha ha I have it cheap) $25

How much money they tell you that you will spend $4,000-5,000. What you actually spend $10,000- 12,000 just to get your private pilot license.

Renting a hanger $depends on where you live and who you know.

Renting a spot to tie down on tarmac $dahh I can feel the money draining just thinking about it.

Shall I go on?

4. Backpacking

I have spent way more on backpacking than all the things I have done on geocaching.

All I have spent on Geocaching is $80 for my GPS. And about $10 in cache containers. Will be buying more to place tomorrow. $maybe 10 and knickknacks to put in them. When I cache I don't trade. To me the sport is finding them not trying to trade Mickey D's happy meal toys. Yes if I do see something good I will trade but that’s it.

There are lots of expensive hobbies where you can actually START quite cheaply - the costs just mount up in the long run. You can get a taste of it and 'hop on' without a huge initial outlay. Cheap equipment that you can be fairly sure you'll get a fair amount of use out of, and then pass on to someone else.

With caching though, it's a one time expense right at the start which seems quite steep if you're not sure you're going to take to it or not. I waited until the prices of GPSrs fell just below the magic £100 mark before I felt I could justify it (although there was also the issue of living on a small island where there weren't many caches about, or any need for a GPS for road nav).

In the long run it's as good as digital photography (without printing) or ham radio (without QSLs) - once you've bought the gear the running costs are peanuts.

:unsure:

Nahhh, not at all. Try SCUBA diving . . .

$70-140 - Mask and Snorkel

$100-800 - Wet Suit

$40-100 - Fins

$200-900 - Boyancy Compensator

$450-900 - Tank and Regulator

$50-100 - Weight Belt

$60-200Gear Bag

$370-1250 - Guages, Dive Computer, Knife, Light

Of course, there's classes to get started and trips to someplace warm, like Cancun, etc. etc. :unsure:

Or try hunting, fishing,

Geocaching is pretty inexpensive!

JohnTee

Agreed John, Oh-so expensive! But so very enjoyable! Wave HI to the fishies for us!

Technically geocaching is one of the least expensive "hobbies" I partake in as far as what is a necessity. Now of course as well as my other hobbies as you get interested and it is within your means you tend to make it more expensive than it really needs to be!

For geocaching all you need is a GPS, I started with a free GPS12 that someone gave to me.

An internet connection and a computer, I had one already, but you could go to a local library and use them {if you have a local library and they provide this service}.

You could walk to a cache I am sure, yes I know not everybody lives in a target rich enviorment, like I do; but there is normally some form of public transport or someone else with a car you could swindle into getting interested in your hobbie!

A pen to log your finds.

and really that is it, all the other things are nice to haves to make my caching experience a little easier.

Other Hobbies:

A Wife $$$$$$$$$$ {mainly bribes so I can go Geocaching}

Archery $$$$$$$$$ {1 Bow and Arrows to start- 1000.00}

Fishing $$$$$$$$$ {Just the one rod and some gear to start- 400.00}

Firearms $$$$$$$$$$ {Just one of the guns and some ammo to start- 800.00}

Again I have the means so none of those stopped at the listed starting price.

Edited by CTYankee9

I bought an expensive GPSr (Garmin 60CSx) and it's still cheaper than other hobbies.

USPSA (IPSC) Action Shooting:

For a competitive top end firearm $2000-$3000

I did the RenFaire thing:

Travel, food, lodging got very expensive and I had about $3000 invested in clothing I couldn't wear anywhere else. That and cool "bladed" weaponry is expensive!

Amateur Photographer:

When I used go out shooting, I was carrying over $6000 in equipment... easily.

Wine:

To learn, you've gotta taste and that can get pricey as well nowadays. You could easily drop $150 in tasting fees in one day, not to mention whatever you purchase along the way!

Driver Carries Cache

I replied about being a hockey goaltender. (I play Ringette, but most people in the US don't know what the sport is, so I'll use hockey as a reference. Similar equipment).

This is what I have:

Pads - $1000

Skates - $450

Pelvic protector - $100

Chest protector - $80

Shoulder Pads - $150

Elbow Pads - $30

Blockers - $100 each

Helmet - $60

Facemask - $60

Stick - $65

Jersey - $50

Total cost: $2145 (ish)

Napolean Dynamite. One of the WORST movies ever. Nuff said.

I totally thought that and didnt even want to finish watching the stupid movie. My wife wanted to keep watching so i did.

I didnt get it at first. Now i do. Im glad i am not the only one.

My kids got me to watch it. I was so dumb that it was funny (in parts). Shaun of the Dead was another one like they liked that we watched together. Luckily my kids also like Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles when I got my turn to chose the DVDs. B)

By the way, to keep this on topic, watching movies is less expensive than geocaching:

DVD Player = $50-$100

Movies = $10/month with Netflix (no gas)

:angry: = $5/month

By the way, to keep this on topic, watching movies is less expensive than geocaching:

DVD Player = $50-$100

B) = $5/month

:angry:B) Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

B)B)

In our area you can order your DVDs at the library and take them out for a week. You can even get new releases in a timely manner if you reserve them early enough. So let me change your figures...

DVD player = $30 at Walmart

Movies= Free at library (return promptly after 7 days though!)

Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away

This is too much fun...

Dating
BlueDeuce has found the most expensive hobby of them all.

Played incorrectly, it can lead to thousands per month in wage garnishment for 18 years.

Or a lifetime of happiness.

[This post edited at the request of MollyGSP & Me, aka Mrs. Too Tall John]

Edited by Too Tall John

OK, Here's ours:

But first I would like to say I grew up dirt poor, my mom raised 4 kids by herself. I had to go to work at the age of 9 while going to school. I helped my mom support my brothers and sister.

Camping

Trailer : $25,000 (can't sleep on the ground any more, got hit by a semi, 16 spine surgeries to fix me.)

SUV to pull trailer: $35,000

Gas : OMG it's $3.20 a gallon here and my SUV takes 25 gallons. At least 2 fill ups to get where we are camping.

ATV's: 2 @ $6,000 each

Truck and trailer to pull ATV's : $30, 000

Insurance on vehicles, and trailer : $600 monthly

Generator : $3,000

Camping supplies each trip : $300

Teenagers entertainment while camping: $100 (movies to watch on the computer, TV, or a sat hookup)

Geocaching while camping ( free, but really $3. 00 a month for PM)

Weekend with family : PRICELESS

We also ski, hunt, fish, vacation in foriegn lands, collect firefighting patches, volunteer at Cheyenne Frontier Days, volunteer at the homeless shelter, collect cans and donate the money to our homeless shelter, foster dogs from the dog shelter, teach American Red Cross and American Heart CPR. Teach First aid, first responder courses (for free). Attend trauma conferences... ect.

We work odd hours as I am a nurse, hubby is Firefighter, hence our schedules do not mesh well. We work hard for the things we love. So we can go and do stuff together as a family, because soon the nest will be empty. No flaming me, please, please, as I am not trying to offend anyone here. We can afford these hobbies because we went to college and have worked in our fields for over 15 years. Really, you can do anything you put your mind to if you prioritize your wants vs. your needs. IMHO It just seems to me that people (kids of the 80's and 90's) today want everything handed to them immediately at birth, like they are intitled to it as a birthright. The "microwave" generation, wants everything right now! You have GOT to work for the things you want, and quit yer bitchin if you someone else has what you want. P.S., NO, I AM NOT BUYING MY TEENAGERS THEIR CARS, they have to work for them. I am, however, paying for their college educations because I believe that is how you get ahead in this world. STEPPING OFF MY SOAPBOX NOW.

Geocaching is a very reasonably priced hobby. The time it allows us to spend together is well worth the price we have paid for our GPSs', swag, and gas to get to the hiding places. Plus we get to meet so many wonderful people when we attend events. We will be CACHING on well in to our old age. :angry:

When we were showing our Great Danes we would spend a minimum of $4000 a year just for entry fees, handlers fees, gas. food, lodging, leaving home on a Friday afternoon and returning Sunday evening.

I won't even get into stud fees food,vet bills or the cost of buying a pup to upgrade your bloodline.

Yes geocaching is a lot cheaper,plus its led to some great spot to MD :angry:

edit to add

regular gas just dropped to $2.99 here last weekend

Edited by vagabond

I totally thought that and didnt even want to finish watching the stupid movie. My wife wanted to keep watching so i did.

I've heard the "watch it again and you'll "get it"" argument. I "got it" the first time and hated it. You would have to pay me (and pay me well) to get me to waste my time watching it again.

Edited by Thrak

My kids got me to watch it. I was so dumb that it was funny (in parts). Shaun of the Dead was another one like they liked that we watched together. Luckily my kids also like Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles when I got my turn to chose the DVDs. B)

DVD Player = $50-$100

:angry: = $5/month

Shaun of the Dead, while not a great movie, was Oscar material compared to ND. Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, and Holy Grail are GREAT. Holy Grail may well be my wife's all time favorite movie.

Back on topic: Caching isn't much more expensive than renting movies - assuming you rent them.

Comic Collecting and Stamp Collecting -- ouch.

Try putting together a collection of Amazing Spider-man 1-100 or collecting the "key" books (1st Batman, 1st Superman, etc, etc)

As for stamps. I've reached the point where I can't continue - unless I sell my house!

It makes me cry to remember that I actually owned the first Spiderman, first Fantastic 4, first Incredible Hulk, first............. We had no idea they would ever be worth anything. Kind of like the two boot boxes (larger than regular shoe boxes) of baseball cards my brother and I had. My mom tossed those during one of our numerous moves. If I had all those comics and cards back (and in good shape) I could afford to cache as much as I want no matter how expensive gas gets!

I think that Geocaching is possibly one of the most expensive sports to get into i think, next to paintball at least

Surely you must be joking. This hobby is about the cheapest thing you could do besides just hiking/walking.

A 1 time GPS purchase and maybe $3/month if you are a PM. (Say you pay $100 for GPS and use it 5 years. That is less than $2 month.)

SWAG- you dont need it. Dont trade.

There are few hobbies cheaper. I cant even think of one.

Walking?

Reading?

Im being serious. What is cheaper?

I didn't even read the whole thread through before I agree with eveyone else,especially with what Knight said.If I was trying to save money,Geocaching would be the hobby for me.A one time purchase of a 100 dollar etrex,and off you go.As I said in other threads,I wish I knew about Caching a lot ealier,as it's about one of the cheapest hobbies there is.

Try hunting...at least 400 for a decent rifle,assuming you're hunting in your own state,about 40-80 dollars for tags(Out of state hunting is beyond astronomical,depending upon what you're looking to hunt),warm clothing,100-400 dollars,food for the woods,gas to get you there...Oh bow hunting huh?Arrows-60-100 dollars for 12(And you WILL lose/bend/destroy 70% of them before hunting season...so figure x2-3),Broadheads for hunting,yeah they only give you three,you'll need six,so that'll be about 30-50 bucks per pack,Bow-100-700 dollars,sight quiver,stabilizer,silencers,realease aid and all that jazz-300-500 dollars.

B)B)

Caching is lookin' cheaper ain't it?

PS-Here in Iraq...I believe gas is between 15-28 cents a gallon. :angry: Although you wouldn't want to put it in your tank...I've seen some of this stuff,looks like someone threw a hand full of dirt in it.

You must lead a fairly sheltered life geocaching is relatively CHEAP sport. Let me say of the sports I have done:

Flyfishing

Mountaineering

Rock Climbing

Ice Climbing

Down Hill Skiing

Backcountry/Cross country Skiing

Scuba Diving

Cave Diving

Caving, is probable the cheapest sport I have done as you only need batteries/carbide and gas to and from the cave.

No geocaching is cheap by most comparision, there are many sports that require large fees, golf, skydiving etc... to particpate in.

Only gas prices have made geocaching a more, slightly, expnesive activity.

I think that Geocaching is possibly one of the most expensive sports to get into i think, next to paintball at least

- You need a GPS (at least a $100 one) plus if your serious you can spend up to $500

- Paper and ink or a palm pilot

- Lots and Lots of gas

- A car if you dont allready have one (I myself am hurrying up on buying one cause im tired of borrowing)

- Goodies

- Materials and things to create your own caches

-Etc Etc.

Im not complaining I gladly spend the money but would you agree that Geocaching is probably the most expensive sport to get into?

Compared to Jeeping, Geocaching costs pennies. :laughing:
Jeeping is bad. That's why I have friends with Jeeps. :blink: I can do moderate trails with my Durango but one mistake and it could be very expensive.... :blink: I know a cacher that drove his rental car down a dirt road in the desert and took one big bounce and sheered off the oil pan nut. It sucks to get stuck in the desert in a car with no oil.... Edited by TrailGators

How about backpacking?

Tent $150 - $400

Ground cloth $5-$30

Pack $100-$300

Stove $60

Sleeping bag $150 - $250

Sleeping pad $20 - $60

Hiking boots $100 - $250

Cook kit/utensils $50

Water filter $50

Nalgene water bottles $8 each (need at least 3)

Lightweight flashlight or headlamp $10 - $30

First aid kit $30

Assorted stuff sacks $50

Pocket knife or multi tool $20-$75

Compass and maps $30 - $60

Waterproof matches and fire starters $5

Fuel for stove $5 a gallon

Geo-Caching expenses

Backpack --- 25.00

Compass --- 7.00

Watch Compass -- 10.00

Misc item to take along - 30.00

Headlight -- 30.00

GPS 150.00

Computer Wire -- 35.00

Delorme TOPO 6 50.00

Trade items .20cents to 6.00 dollars per find

Batteries 24.00 - 8 rechargeable

Charger 30.00

Hiking boots - 80.00

Regular batteries 32 for 12.00 @ Sams

Computer - 1800.00 shared with other sports and life in general

Pruneing Snip - 10.00 for briars

Ammo cans 30.00

Cache initial stock 20.00 each, times 5 quality caches so far!

Camera 350.00 - would not go without it.

Kayaking

Boat 1000.00

Life jacket 100.00

Paddle 200.00

Spray shirt 125.00

Paddling jacket 70.00

Delorme TOPO 6 50.00

Booties 70.00

Dry bags 35.00

Croakies 5.00

Helmet 60.00

Throw bag 50.00

Airbags - 30.00

Biking

Bike 500.00

Pump 25.00

Rack 35.00

Bag 35.00

Summer gloves

Delorme TOPO 6 50.00

Riding pants 50.00

riding shirts summer 4 shirt 50.00 each

winter clothes

pants 60.00

jacket 80.00

Winter gloves

Shoes 50.00

Camping backpacking

Tent 300.00

air mattress 50.00

back pack 170.00

lantern 40.00

Water filter 80.00

Stove 70.00

Compass 7.00

GPS 150.00

Delorme TOPO 6 50.00

Sleeping bag 100.00

Accessories 50.00

Laminating machine 30.00

Cookware 50.00

Gas for getting there is always part of the expenses

Stuff that is quality cost money but you can find ways to keep it down by being clever

These cost just get you started. It cost to eat out on the way or returning.

- You need a GPS (at least a $100 one) plus if your serious you can spend up to $500

- Lots and Lots of gas

- A car if you dont allready have one (I myself am hurrying up on buying one cause im tired of borrowing)

- Goodies

-Etc Etc.

Im not complaining I gladly spend the money but would you agree that Geocaching is probably the most expensive sport to get into?

Now that I think about it, I don't think caching has cost me anything in dollars. GPS was a gift, I recycle paper, use a bicycle as often as possible or just cache along where I'm already going, a couple bucks at the dollar store or sport shop for some swag and more recycled materials for creating caches. I have a lot of expensive hiking stuff that I use while caching, but I had that stuff already. No, caching is probably cheapest hobby I've ever discovered. If you want to talk expensive, let's talk geocoins... :blink:

How about backpacking?

Tent $150 - $400

Ground cloth $5-$30

Pack $100-$300

Stove $60

Sleeping bag $150 - $250

Sleeping pad $20 - $60

Hiking boots $100 - $250

Cook kit/utensils $50

Water filter $50

Nalgene water bottles $8 each (need at least 3)

Lightweight flashlight or headlamp $10 - $30

First aid kit $30

Assorted stuff sacks $50

Pocket knife or multi tool $20-$75

Compass and maps $30 - $60

Waterproof matches and fire starters $5

Fuel for stove $5 a gallon

Ah, yes. Backpacking. Once upon a time, in my mis-spent youth (Okay, I was in my mid-40's), I desperately needed a hobby. So I took up hiking. Hiking boots $150.00. 50 hikes in New Jersey $14.95. Water bottles, hiking stick...

Well (before geocaching), I started running out of new trails to hike. (About when I volunteered to maintain a trail.) Good golly! This white trail with the oversized blazes keeps going! (Okay, so it's called the Appalachian Trail.) So I headed north into Mombasha Heights, and south into Lehigh Gap. Okay, so now I've hiked from Sharon Connecticut to the Susquehanna River near Harrisburg! It's getting too far to drive and day hike and drive back.

Backpacking! Now remember that I'm slow. I only hike eight to twelve miles a day (longest hike: eighteen miles). My sister was going to the Corvette Convention in Carlisle. Gee, if you pick me up at Pine Grove Furnace, and drop me off at the Suspuehanna, I can hike back to my car!

My sister and I hiked from Sharon, Ct to Kinsmans Notch, NH over a number of years. And I made it to Swift Run Gap, VA, relying on AT jitneys.

I figure I've got well over two grand invested in equipment. At least my third pair of boots. And I did over a thousand miles in ten years. For various reasons, I've given up my backpacking jaunts, but it was a heck of a lot of fun!

Hmm... No, I do not backpack for the sake of backpacking. I only backpack when there's no other choice.

Geocaching? Really cheap by comparison!

As far as my hobbies go, shooting sports are farrrrrr more expensive. I can't afford to shoot sporting clays more than about once a month. I have everything I need to geocache. I can go any time I like.

Snoogans I like you even more now. I'm sure you were lying awake at night fretting about it. Yep, its a great hobby, but sooo expensive.

- Lots and Lots of gas

- Goodies

-Etc Etc.

Geocaching is by far the least expensive sport/hobby I have ever had. However, the sport is flexible, and if you wish to make it expensive -- as you have obviously chosen to do -- then you are free to make it expensive. Some of the more expensive sports/hobbies I have had have been ham radio, electronics, atmospheric geophysical monitoring, shortwave listening, pirate radio, backpacking/hiking, kayaking, scuba diving, caving, rock climbing and flying fixed-wing aircraft (flying rotary wing aircraft is even more expensive.) One quick story of how cheap geocaching can be: While on consulting trips, I have hunted caches in India, Germany, Nicaragua, and the states of Colorado and California using a Magellan Explorist 100 which I had purchased brand new (from an online shop in NY state) for $60 postpaid.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

You want to talk MONEY......take up BOWLING! Yeah, that's right....bowling. We bowl on a league and

average 4 nights a week to the lanes...sometimes 6. Yes, we eat..drink..and bowl and buy all the little extras that are available. 50... 60 bucks a night is nothing for us to spend. Wifey is always on the lookout

for a "cuter" bowling outfit or a ball with "sparkles" or new shoes or something.

My LEAST expensive sport/hobby is caching! I don't go very much, but even if I did, it would not come close to my bowling expenses. :angry:

Chuckwagon

Or this one..... POLO

I can sympathize. I used to do endurance racing. Add up the cost of a horse, then start the great hunt for the perfect saddle which causes one to buy three or four $1,000 saddles and then turn around and sell them for a bit less after 50 miles of saddle sores and grumpy horse, a truck, a trailer, entry fees, camping fees, gas, food, horse feed, hay, tack, camping gear, membership fees, etc.

Then start a new hobby with hubby that you think is closely enough related to not cost a mint. Draft horses. Let's see..... none of the tackroom full of equipment fits them. They don't fit in the trailer. They eat more. They need special shoes that most horse shoers won't do. Vet bills cost more because they get treated based on weight and they weigh TWICE as much as my little endurance horse did. We had to buy a bigger trailer. Bargain bin harness costs $350 per set and we have SIX of the monsters. We get away with only needing two sets because we don't have anything that takes more than two horses to pull, but each horse has to have a collar that fits and those are $100+ and no two of ours wear the same size.

Now we've bought a cart $650, a mower $200, but we drove from Ohio to the coast of Maryland to get it, a plow for only $50 but it is looking like it will take at least four horses to actually plow with it, so we'll have to get two more sets of harness and a four horse evener, and a sleigh for $200 but it needs restored and goodness knows what that will cost. (but I gotta admit, I can't wait to see it finished and flying across a frozen field with my Clydesdale pulling it!)

Oh, and I still have both of our endurance horses standing around eating. When hay is scarce, we feed a complete pelleted ration that costs us $30 PER DAY for the 8 horses.

At least if I'm not geocaching today, I don't have to pour money into my GPS.

But I still wouldn't give the horses up for anything. There are a few pics of them at Home Is Where The Horse Is

I'm actually SAVING money caching. Since I started 2-1/2 years ago, I've cut down on my golfing ($30-$40 per round) and I don't fly planes anymore ($100 per hour + incidentals). Sure, I've spent a little more on gas, and spent some money on cache containers and supplies, but it's chicken feed compared to what I COULD be spending! :angry:

I'm actually SAVING money caching. Since I started 2-1/2 years ago, I've cut down on my golfing ($30-$40 per round) and I don't fly planes anymore ($100 per hour + incidentals). Sure, I've spent a little more on gas, and spent some money on cache containers and supplies, but it's chicken feed compared to what I COULD be spending! :angry:

I bet you spend more on that SWEET 1960 Convertable Caddy of yours than you do on Geocaching. :angry:

Then start a new hobby with hubby that you think is closely enough related to not cost a mint. Draft horses. Let's see..... none of the tackroom full of equipment fits them. They don't fit in the trailer. They eat more. They need special shoes that most horse shoers won't do. Vet bills cost more because they get treated based on weight and they weigh TWICE as much as my little endurance horse did. We had to buy a bigger trailer. Bargain bin harness costs $350 per set and we have SIX of the monsters. We get away with only needing two sets because we don't have anything that takes more than two horses to pull, but each horse has to have a collar that fits and those are $100+ and no two of ours wear the same size.

Now we've bought a cart $650, a mower $200, but we drove from Ohio to the coast of Maryland to get it, a plow for only $50 but it is looking like it will take at least four horses to actually plow with it, so we'll have to get two more sets of harness and a four horse evener, and a sleigh for $200 but it needs restored and goodness knows what that will cost. (but I gotta admit, I can't wait to see it finished and flying across a frozen field with my Clydesdale pulling it!)

Where's that green with envy smiley... :angry:

Oh man do I want a couple of Belgians or Percherons someday..... :angry:

Got a cheap one for you...Flying

Private Pilot's licence (from scratch)... 40K

Aircraft rental...300 an hour

Insurance...3000 a year

Maps/nav aids(required) 280 a year

headset...575

all the other stuff...1500

And if you want to go all out...

cost of your own plane...1500k to 1.2 mil

(+ the cost of insurance/fuel/maintenance)

'caching is dirt cheap when you hold it up to the template of other "Hobbies"

No Geocaching is not expensive at all. Like others have mentioned Snow skiing and Water skiing are much more exspensive And scuba diving.

Geo caching can be done for very little, GPS $100.00, you do not need a paln or pock PC.

Now one could make it and expensive hobby if they want to, but it is not required

By FAR Geocaching is NOT the most expensive hobby.

Try bowhunting.

$300 for a bow

$100 each for treestands (everyone knows you need at least 3)

$300 for good camoflauge

$30,000 for a truck to get you to the good spots

$.....................

Geocaching is cheap.

Bagging your prey........Pricelesss

You don't need to buy a dedicated car for auto racing. But let's check this out: SCCA Solo 2. You can do it cheaper, but here's my route:

Helmet - $120

Tires - $160x4

Suspension mods - $1200

Brake upgrades - $450

Harness - $80

Magnetic numbers - $60

A couple of those are luxury items, but not compared to a dedicated set of wheels and race tires, fully adjustable suspension, and engine modifications. And all that, if you bring your street car!

$4k can get you into karting.

Got a cheap one for you...Flying

Private Pilot's licence (from scratch)... 40K

Aircraft rental...300 an hour

Sweet Baby Jesus! What the heck are you renting at $300/Hr? Course, I might be distracted by the $50/Hr-Wet I spent in the 70's . . .

JohnTee

Showing horses

Stock car racing

Boating

Poker

Dating

Shipwreck treasure hunting

Yardcare

Careful with the dating, that can turn in a life time of $$$$$ :laughing:

Here's my hobby that I use Geocaching to get away from due to $$$$$ www.y2kota.us.

Geocaching,

$50 for a used GPSr

$20 rechargeable batteries

$40 for a backpack

$30 for a Premium Membership

$7 for camo duct tape

Anything else I've needed I already have :laughing:

That's about it for me so far :laughing:

Best part is the non recurring cost as in many hobbies other have listed.

Edited by Y2KOTA