Is Geocaching possibly the most expensive sport/hobby to get into

No. Being a professional sports fan is more expensive. Tix for 2 to attend 7 or 8 of the biggest Nascar races of the season and the companion race the day before. Plus gas or airfare and rental, hotel or camping fees(motorhomes arent cheap and neither are good tents and cots). Ind. pops and bottles of water run $4-5 ea and youre there in metal stands in 90+ deg. for 6-10hrs. Not to mention souveniers.

Geocaching has to be one of the cheapest.

The GPS cost gets divided because it's used for travel/directions etc. not just caching.

My geocaching vehicle is also my daily driver so it's cost is spread. The only real cost that can be counted against geocaching is the gas used for caching.

PC/Laptop no cost to me....it's my work laptop and I wouldn't have bought a PC/laptop just for geocaching.

Swag....nothing I don't usually trade

Caches....about $20-30 when I find a good place to hide one. Nothing except the container if it's a micro.

Definitely a cheap hobby and to think of all the places geocaching has taken me that I wouldn't have any idea about otherwise.

Edited by k1w1t1m

I haven't read the replies, but here's what we've done to keep costs down.

- bought a mid-range GPSr instead of top of the line

- use public transit or walk

- converted old curling brooms into hiking sticks instead of buying fancy metal ones

- don't own a PDA

- basic membership

- used stuff we already had as swag

- haven't bought fancy camping gear/hiking gear/specialized equipment

- stick to quick caches (no overnight stays, long hikes, etc)

- cache locally (no travel costs like gas, vehicle rental, hotels, restaurant meals, etc).

Some geocaching gear that have non-geocaching uses and which we would have acquired anyway so don't really count towards the cost of geocaching:

- internet access

- writing utensils

- computer/printer

- cell phones

- backpack

- batteries

- flashlight

- digital camera

...there's probably more.

I think the only things we've purchased specifically for geocaching is the GSPr and I want to get some hiking boots.

Geocaching IS the most expensive.

Those Satellites you use with your GPSr cost millions and millions of dollars and you paid for them. 00020180.gif

But what the heck you can use them for free. 0002014B.gif

You're right. I hadn't thought about that.

I guess I'm going to continue paying for them for a while too (well I hope so anyway) :rolleyes:

I think that Geocaching is possibly one of the most expensive sports to get into i think, next to paintball at least

- You need a GPS (at least a $100 one) plus if your serious you can spend up to $500

- Paper and ink or a palm pilot

- Lots and Lots of gas

- A car if you dont allready have one (I myself am hurrying up on buying one cause im tired of borrowing)

- Goodies

- Materials and things to create your own caches

-Etc Etc.

Im not complaining I gladly spend the money but would you agree that Geocaching is probably the most expensive sport to get into?

No.

It's one of the cheapest hobbies you could get into and, for folks that are already avid outdoors enthusiasts, it can be zero-cost too.

True there - I already had everything I needed. Didn't even know about geocaching when I bought my first GPSr for hiking. The only extra expense tha tI have had was the PM but that is by choice and it is only $3/month...

My other hobby is photography...

-Good 35mm camera (Canon A1) = $100 - $300 on Ebay

-Good digital camera (Nikon D70s) = $300 - $600 on Ebay

-The camera that I don't have but want (Nikon D300) = $2,000 - $3,500 on Ebay

-Lenses for the various cameras = Anywhere from $100 to $6,000 depending on what you buy

-Tripod = $30 for a cheapie all the way to $1,700 for a good one on Ebay

-Good camera bag (Naneu Pro Alpha) = $74 - $90 on Ebay

-... and the list goes on and on...

Geocaching is cheap. :anicute:

This has to be the cheapest thing I do....

I have 2 horses (1 cow horse, one is a Mounted Unit horse)

Scuba, paintball (RAM and regular) Duck hunting w/boat, Cowboy Mounted Shooting, starting to get into CW re-enacting -Cavalry.

Since caching didnt require me to buy any big ticket items, I already had GPS for hunting and SAR unit, I would have to say, by far caching is cheapest and probably safest thing I do.

I've dabbled in almost all of these mentioned hobbies: Model Railroading, Jeeping, Nitro R/C Trucks, Golfing, and still live by these: Fishing, Hunting, Camping (the three combined would probably pay for a vacation home) but the most expensive by far was smoking. Gave it up a few weeks ago and my urge for geocaching has gone up.

The cheapest hobby I have ever been hooked on is Napping! Last I checked, park benches are still free to use! :blink:

It's a safe bet you've never owned a horse.

Geocaching is a cheap hobby. Yeah, gas is expensive, but if you plan your routes, you can cache all day on $20 worth of gas. That's a pretty good ROI.

And my (excellent perfoming) GPS unit can currently be had for well under $50 on eBay. Everything else is optional.

I would have to say its probably the cheapest hobby. Yea you need a gps (we have two a total of bout $500) but keep in mind that is a one time expense) gas of course but that is for any hobby so you cant really count that. Thats really the only extra expense. Most everyone has internet anyway so you cant count that either. And as for making caches that isnt required but i have 13 hid and own 2 TBs which i have spent less than $50 on all of them including two old missle containers that are in the process of being hides 14 and 15. Just saying im a waitress with 2 young boys and make less $8000 a year. I cant afford to have a gym membership at $45 a month but i am able to cache at least 2-3xs a week and even travel bout 1 weekend a month to another city just to cache. Plus i love the fact it gets my 3 and 5 yr olds out and good family time we didnt have before geocaching.

I am in junior high and can easily afford it. I ride my bike, have a cheap ($60) gps that works, use tupperware for the caches, the goodies I use are things I have at home like marti gras beads and small toys. You can buy a mini notebok for 30 cents. It costs a dollar to make a cache, and it's free to find them.

HOW COULD YOU THINK IT IS EXPENSIVE? :ph34r:

Paintball is far more expensive!

Gun/Marker upwards of $1500.00

Mask $70

Field Fees just to play $30-$40

Paint for one day $40-50

Air $20

Pods and Belts $45

Not to mention clothing pads and repairs....Unknown Probly $200

Weekends will run you about $150 if nothing goes wrong with your equipment.

Also included are gas to get you to the field, food for the day, and any medical bills for things like sprained ankles or serious knee injury.

I played paintball for over ten years.

Geocaching is so much cheaper.

GPS $100 new or $40 on ebay

Plastic containers $10

Stuff from my junk drawer....uhm free.

I don't use a car to geocache...I live in San Francisco so PT (Public Transit) is great for caching. I have a monthly PT card which I would use for work anyway.

Plus the risk of serious injury is way less....and I never really have a bad day. And my whole family can play. This is the best cheap sport I ave found. Maybe its different if you live somewhere else.

We can also play on vacation to see new and cool things that books and stuff don't tell you about.

later.

I replied about being a hockey goaltender. (I play Ringette, but most people in the US don't know what the sport is, so I'll use hockey as a reference. Similar equipment).

This is what I have:

Pads - $1000

Skates - $450

Pelvic protector - $100

Chest protector - $80

Shoulder Pads - $150

Elbow Pads - $30

Blockers - $100 each

Helmet - $60

Facemask - $60

Stick - $65

Jersey - $50

Total cost: $2145 (ish)

I have a snowmobile - $14000 on the snow for 3 months of bliss each year, 40 litres of premium gasoline each trip at $1.25 a litre (at its cheapest this year) and an $80 trail pass (one of the cheapest trail passes that I know of)

and it is still going to be cheaper than my 7-year-olds's hockey career.

He is also a goalie and for his current level of play he can use $200 dollar pads, $200 dollar chest protector (includes shoulders and elbows), $200 dollar skates and the rest looks pretty much the same. You did forget about travel costs (gas + hotel for tournaments) and registration fees for the hockey program (currently around $350 - 400 per year) and tournament fees (about $20 to 30 per tournament).

Did I mention he is seven? He gets bigger (with bigger opponents) every year, so his gear needs to be bigger AND offer better protection every year, which means gear costs keep going up.

Come to think of it, I think KIDS are a far more expensive hobby... :ph34r:

Skisidedown

:blink: Well, we did just go and buy a 4WD van ....... half because of geocaching!!! LOL

Other than that I would say that this is the cheapest hobby we have ever been into.

Get A GPS and you are good to go, the rest is just fluff really. (Mind you we did get some of the fluff!!!!)

What other hobbies do we have between us ......

Hiking

Rock Climbing

Stained glass (if we fully got into it rather than just going to classes)

Scrapbooking

Audio engineering

Pet ownership ( Vet bills for a year will most likely top geocaching expenses.)

So, geocaching rates pretty inexpensive for us. The only issue really is fuel costs which have been higher, as we have been doing more driving that we would have prior to caching.

Annie

Having a bunch of hobbies/sports is what's expensive. I agree with Thistle Dew with photography. I was into 35mm but then went digital, got my Z3 for about $400. Thought that was rough but then stepped up to my A100 and that was around $750 for just the body. Then I added my new lens and that was more then my camera... so that tallies up to around $2,000.

Then again got my biking (pedal power, not gas powered). Mountain bike around a grand each, road bike, about the same, then there's two of us, add in the helmets, CamelBacks, cleats, pants, shirts, gloves, tubes, pumps, and the racks for the Jeeps and it's more then photography!

And then is our kayaking. Started with a couple of 'yaks for around a grand each. Then hers was too short for calm water, mine was too long for rivers... so add in two more at around the same cost. Then add in the paddles, PFD's, fishing gear, racks for the Jeeps, and dang, that's higher then biking!!!

And then we weigh out geocaching.... hmmm... GPSr and.... ummmm.... errrr... well, that's about it. But wait!!! We geocache from the kayaks, and from the mountain bikes, and from the road bikes, and from the Jeeps, and I take pictures all the time while geocaching!!! Yeah, it is the most expensive. But well worth every penny!!! <_<

lesse, I'mma throw one out here that no one ever thinks about:

MMORPGs. That's Massivly Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games.

Nerd stuff, a yep. It's not a super expensive one, but ohh, it's still more expensive than geocaching.

First, you need a PC, and you need a good PC, one that can handle the games. For the modern ones like World of Warcraft you need a machine at LEAST the power of mine. that'll run you $500 (when I built it more than a year ago it cost me about $1200).

You have to buy your game $50

You have to pay your monthly fee: $15

You have to buy the expansions with some of them. (Usually $40 about once a year or so.)

And, you have to have high speed internet. Which.. Okay, my parents pay ours so I don't know exactly how much it is, but if it's less than $30/month, I'd be surprised.

PC upgrades: Those will cost you a fair amount whenever your rig isn't good enough anymore.

And, of course, calling in to work because you're so severely addicted that you have to hit X level on the double XP weekend: Well, however much you make in a shift. :laughing:

If you want to just go with PC gaming, and not do MMOs.

Odds are you'll be buying one game ... averaging on every 4 months. $50/game.

Upgrades will happen a lot more often. Can easily run you a few hundred bucks every year.

True, one can argue that some of these are things one would have already. But if you're not a gamer, you won't be upgrading your system nearly as often, and having a good system initially won't mean much to you.

Or, console gaming:

Current gen console:

Wii: $250 (.. not the console gamers first shoice)

XBox 360: $400, I think.

PS3: $500+

Extra controllers (if you want to play with friends)

$20 and up.

Games?

$50 ($60 for the 360) Buying at least one every few months.

Dungeons and Dragons:

Set of dice: $5 (which, you'll lose, or find you need more than 1 d6...)

Character sheets: Free.

JUST the core 3 books. $100

Snacks for a session of gaming: $5/session

Books that improve your game: $20-$40/each

... My collection is over 70 books now. Yeah.

Minatures games:

... I'm not even going to bother starting to tally what people spend on those.

Metal work:

cost varies a lot depending on exactly what you want, but, my set up has run me over $1000 so far, and it's still pretty low.

All I've really spent on geocaching, is about $300 for my GPS and everything related to it (Vsta HCx, micro SD card, case and Invisible Shield screen protector), and less than $15 on swag.

Geocaching is cheap entertainment. I ride my motorcycle when I cache (I don't do cold weather very often) and get 45 mpg.

Other hobbies:

Shooting - i started reloading to cut down on buying ammo, but still expensive if you do it often.

Camping with the family - factor in the camper, gas to pull said camper, food, camp ground fees, beer, etc. Pretty expensive weekend.

Hunting - I enjoy waterfowl hunting, but definitely don't do it to put food on the table. Those ducks end up being expensive if you spread the cost of hunting gear, decoys, gun, etc out. But its more fun than even geocaching so I go every year.

Someone else mentioned scuba diving. That's one I would love to do more often, but where I live it doesn't make sense. But definitely expensive if you buy all your own gear - somewhere around $2500 is what I figured (and that was about 5 years ago when I first got certified).

So yeah, geocaching has a bit of upfront cost. But the only recurring cost is gas if you drive a car, and maybe batteries if you don't use rechargeables.

Edited by MorganCoke
GPSr = 300 to 500$

Maps = 130$

Internet access = 50$ (DSL a month)

Palm or pocket pc for paperless = 15 to 600$

Backpack = 15$

Boots = 50 to 150$

Gas = 3.04 a gallon

Getting a happymeal toy from a ammo can and signing that logbook = worth every penny spent

Gas is cheap in Iowa! :laughing:

From what I've seen that's why I'm not complaining about the Gas prices. :o

I think that Geocaching is possibly one of the most expensive sports to get into i think, next to paintball at least

- You need a GPS (at least a $100 one) plus if your serious you can spend up to $500

- Lots and Lots of gas

- A car if you dont allready have one (I myself am hurrying up on buying one cause im tired of borrowing)

- Goodies

-Etc Etc.

Im not complaining I gladly spend the money but would you agree that Geocaching is probably the most expensive sport to get into?

Not in the least! I have been into sporting clays, golf and country club tennis in the past and, after the initial investment, geocaching does not compete money wise, even with the price of gas today! I also included the cost of a new notebook computer for $1300.00.

I would say that geocaching is definately one of the cheapest hobbies out there. I scuba dive and you have at lleast $1800 in equipment plus the expense of actuallly diving (usually ~$80 per boat dive). I also golf on occation and you have at least $200 in cheap clubs and balls and it cost at least $20 to play on a very cheap course. Just about every hobby I can think of (skiing, fishing, boating, paint ball, backpacking, etc) costs more money than geocaching.

This is a pretty cheap hobby. Aside from the gps (which is useful for more then geocaching) the expense is minimal. My other hobby is stop motion animation. Not talking claymation here. Look up prices for silocone molds, foam latex, armatures and that doesn't even include set stuff.

The other is filmmaking...it's a fight to cut corners but it's so pricey that I have to be on an almost no budget, but a good shoot would easily cost twice as much as this hobby (and that's for a short film).

My other hobby is guitar. I made a 20 dollar guitar last a few years but it's dying on me now. That'll be 3 to 400 to replace it. I lucked out getting it for 20 dollars.

The cost is part of the reason I took up geocaching. I don't have to wait for money to build up, i just go out and do it. And cars? Pfft, get a bike. Heh, i gotta follow my own advice there.

- Lots and Lots of gas

- Goodies

-Etc Etc.

Ever since I was very young I wanted raise, train and show dogs. With my children grown I finally had the time and (I thought) the money to go for it. Dog #1 (red merle in my avatar) was a real bargain at $250...I can not even begin to add up the expenses involved for crate, collars, leashes, training classes, micro chip, yearly vet care, OFA & CERF testing, food, dog treats, bought a Honda Odessey in part because it will hold 2 crates side by side in the back + all our show goodies, pop-up canopy, chairs, cart to haul stuff, training jumps, weave poles on and on. Add entry fee of $25 per class per show per dog, gas costs, motel & meal costs on out of town/state shows.

But the thrill of getting your first ribbon....priceless!

Shiloh has his Rally Novice, his Canine Good Citizen and his Companion Dog (for both AKC and ASCA). I am out of showing now because of my hip but should be able to pick back up next year. And the dogs in the avatar will have a litter late Apr :unsure: (so now the costs add pre-natal & post-natal care, well puppy exam, puppy shots, tail docking, dew claw removal, extra food, whelping box......)

Well for me skydiving was and still is an expensive to get into and still do

Initial training: about 1200 bucks (to get to self supervision)

gear:(about 2500-3000)

jumps: are range from 10-24 CAN dollars

after 200+ jumps it starts to add up :unsure:

The main thing for geocaching for me is gas. I live in a rural area so find caches nearby is hard to come by 60 within 50 miles. So now I have to drive upwards 100 miles to go caching. :anibad:

I cant believe I had to read so far to get to another skydiver! You know, one of the funny things though is at the drop zone when someone talks about how expensive it's getting because of the cost of feul going up, we remind eachother that it is still cheaper than golf...

I have 3 main hobbies.

Wiffleball is the cheapest.

www.kzoowiffleball.com :D

Next is Geocaching

Finally Offroading is the most expensive for me.

But it really depends on your level I guess. I have a purpose built rockcrawler that all together I have about 11K in, a 5,000 tow rig. Plus gas to get anywhere fun is about $300 round trip.

Which is why lately the Jeep stays in the garage and I play a lot more wiffleball :)

i can think of one hobby that is free, can do by yourself, dpesn't take any kinf of equipment that you don't already have..... :D:D:blink:

This thread is worth delurking on:

Geocaching is more expensive than sitting on your butt watching TV, but on the grand scale it's pretty low. Because we have three kids we have more $$ in trade items than I'd honestly like to be spending, and we did have to go get trekking poles so I can safely carry the baby on my front and not worry about falling on her, but other than that it's been $80 for a clearanced Garmin and a little bit in gas for what has been a very fun first couple of weeks and looks to become a hobby for years to come.

I have been looking for CinemaBoxers' response on this--I'm another one who does dogs, and they are SUPER expensive. We spend between $5-10,000/yr when we *don't* breed, and substantially more than that in the years when we have a litter. And we're small potatoes--I've got little kids and we're not wealthy, so I can't do more than maybe ten weekends a year. Those who are out every weekend and have a dog or two that they are specialing can spend five grand just in ads. Add in all the rescue work we in the dog community do (the dog equivalent of CITO--if you don't rescue, don't breed) and it's crazy money.

It's kind of ironic--I gasp at how much it costs to mint geocoins, but if I have the money (and often if I don't) I'll buy a $1200 8-week-old puppy in a heartbeat.

Ha! I read this while sitting next to my husband playing with his favorite hobby, model trains. One locamotive can easily cost $300.00 or much more. Each car running $15.00 -$50.00 each and the average person has a handful of locamotives and dozens of cars.

Then you can get into layouts! Building the layouts, decorating the layouts, etc. etc.

To have an average sized layout and a train or two to run on it you are instantly well into the thousands.

I haven't read through all the replies, so I'm not sure if it's already been said, but here's my $0.02:

Unlike many other hobbies already mentioned (golf, fishing, hockey, etc.), One reason I think geocaching is great because the guy/gal who is using the most expensive toys like Garmin Colorado's and Palm PDA's has no real advantage over than the guy/gal with the bottom of the line GPS and pencil & paper. They're still using the same satellites to find the same ammo can in the woods, and they still get the job done!

Edited by Pod-Cache

You guys will probably laugh at this.....

My other big hobby is knitting. Even THAT is more $$ than geocaching. Try making a cashmere sweater for under 300.00. Don't even get me started on needle costs, blocking boards, wires...... blah blah blah.

My hubby was so happy that I found this. I spend a LOT less money :-)

You don't need to buy a dedicated car for auto racing. But let's check this out: SCCA Solo 2. You can do it cheaper, but here's my route:

Helmet - $120

Tires - $160x4

Suspension mods - $1200

Brake upgrades - $450

Harness - $80

Magnetic numbers - $60

A couple of those are luxury items, but not compared to a dedicated set of wheels and race tires, fully adjustable suspension, and engine modifications. And all that, if you bring your street car!

$4k can get you into karting.

Nice to see another racer on here.

My Geocaching partner (my 8 year old son) started racing at 4 years old in karts. Now races a mini-cup car. Finished 19th in the country last year.

http://www.kurtlandlarke.com/

About 30K in cars/parts/travel gear sitting the garage. Not to mention the cost to travel 6k miles to races over the summer.

Are you serious? Geocaching is one of the cheapest hobbies out there, if you already have internet access then all you need is a GPS, and not an expensive one. Plenty of cachers walk and cycle to caches, and you can choose how many caches you want to do.

I used to do motorsport, banger racing which is similar to demolition derby. Most of my money went on renting storage space for cars and a workshop, buying and preparing cars, safety equipment, buying a trailer and a vehicle to tow it, lots of travelling and on racing licences and entry fees.

I also do folk dancing and travel to events up and down the country, this costs alot in petrol, accomodation and in traditional kit and costume to wear. I spend as much as I spent on my GPSr every month driving to practices.

Walking out into the woods with a £100 GPSr isn't that expensive. You make geocaching as expensive as you want it to be.

Taking three prissy daughters to the movies. . . $50

Taking three prissy daughters shopping. . . . . .$a few hundred

Taking three prissy daughters to amusement park (or zoo). . . . $250

Watching said daughters fall face first in a thorn bush just to be the first to the cache. . . priceless!

With my family, the one time cost of our GPSr, wal-mart tennis shoes (can't let them get school shoes dirty), and party favors for swag, was way cheaper then all the other things we do as a family.