Is Geocaching possibly the most expensive sport/hobby to get into

I think that Geocaching is possibly one of the most expensive sports to get into i think, next to paintball at least

- You need a GPS (at least a $100 one) plus if your serious you can spend up to $500

- Paper and ink or a palm pilot

- Lots and Lots of gas

- A car if you dont allready have one (I myself am hurrying up on buying one cause im tired of borrowing)

- Goodies

- Materials and things to create your own caches

-Etc Etc.

Im not complaining I gladly spend the money but would you agree that Geocaching is probably the most expensive sport to get into?

Mmmm - I don't know... buy a boat to go fishing and you'll see how expensive a hobby can become... :smile: and that's all I'm sayin' 'bout that. (ok - I own an 18' skiff - and I have 'boat envy' every time I see something larger!).

I saw some sailboats earlier this month on Lake Michigan that were 'hobby boats' - in the quarter-million dollar range - and that's just the purchase price!

No, I think it's relatively inexpensive in that you can cache without all the bells and whistles. As in any sport/game/hobby, the more you play the more you 'want' for better tools to play... but they're not necessary - just desirable! :smile:

By FAR Geocaching is NOT the most expensive hobby.

Try bowhunting.

$300 for a bow

$100 each for treestands (everyone knows you need at least 3)

$300 for good camoflauge

$30,000 for a truck to get you to the good spots

$.....................

Geocaching is cheap.

As far as my hobbies go, shooting sports are farrrrrr more expensive. I can't afford to shoot sporting clays more than about once a month. I have everything I need to geocache. I can go any time I like.

Shooting is not that bad (though not as cheap as Geocaching), reloading helps.

Had a boat once. Heard it descibed as a hole in the water to pour money into. It's true.

The boat gave me great pleasure twice. The first time was when I first took it out. The second was when it went down the driveway behind someone else's pickup truck.

Edited by hairball45

Compare the costs to golfing. Price a decent set of golf clubs. They make any GPS look cheap. Then in San Diego you are going to pay $50-$100 each time you play a round. Then you still have to drive to whatever course you are going to play. Finally you need to practice so add more gas and a few $7 buckets of balls to the cost each week. Finally speaking of balls, if you are a hack like used to me, add buying new balls into the mix. So geocaching is a very cheap activity. :smile:

I think that Geocaching is possibly one of the most expensive sports to get into i think, next to paintball at least

(stuff deleted)

Im not complaining I gladly spend the money but would you agree that Geocaching is probably the most expensive sport to get into?

Nahhh, not at all. Try SCUBA diving . . .

$70-140 - Mask and Snorkel

$100-800 - Wet Suit

$40-100 - Fins

$200-900 - Boyancy Compensator

$450-900 - Tank and Regulator

$50-100 - Weight Belt

$60-200Gear Bag

$370-1250 - Guages, Dive Computer, Knife, Light

Of course, there's classes to get started and trips to someplace warm, like Cancun, etc. etc. :smile:

Or try hunting, fishing,

Geocaching is pretty inexpensive!

JohnTee

I really enjoy bowling, and for many years hubby and I were in a league together. Granted, it may not be as expensive as some of the others, but even though we owned our own balls and shoes, it was costing us at least $25 a week in league costs and snacks (and that was 10 years ago).

I was getting a bit to pricey for our family, so we quit... also, our kids were in marching band, and that was Friday nite, also (our chosen league nite).

- You need a GPS (at least a $100 one) plus if your serious you can spend up to $500

- Lots and Lots of gas

- A car if you dont allready have one (I myself am hurrying up on buying one cause im tired of borrowing)

- Goodies

-Etc Etc.

I've got my hands in almost all the other hobbies mentioned below, so Id have to say no.

In April, I paid over $500 for a 2 lb peice of aluminum- an adapter plate for my Jeep.

To go with the many other parts that make it work.

Those things have made it hard to afford batteries for my Gpsr.......

I really enjoy bowling, and for many years hubby and I were in a league together. Granted, it may not be as expensive as some of the others, but even though we owned our own balls and shoes, it was costing us at least $25 a week in league costs and snacks (and that was 10 years ago).

I was getting a bit to pricey for our family, so we quit... also, our kids were in marching band, and that was Friday nite, also (our chosen league nite).

Wow that was us too! (May try to get back into it next year now that the kids are almost old enough to do it).

I think it is actually one of the CHEAPEST. All you really need to buy is the GPS and pay for the gas.

Nonsense!

$9 here (using LL Bean Visa bonus dollars)

Don't use them, other than scratch paper and a Bic pen.

- Lots and Lots of gas

I rarely go more than a few miles out of my way.

Do have one.

- Goodies

I don't usually trade. I'm sure I've spent under $200 in my caching career, probably closer to $100.

I just spent $11 for two Lock & Locks. That's more than I spent on my previous five caches together. ($1 ammo can at a roadside shop, used for two different caches; another that was stolen and replaced with $4 tupperware; camoflaged AOL tin [no snide comments, it worked extremely well for the hide]; extra tupperware I already had). Granted, I'm not winning any Cool Cache Container awards.

Etc etc.

In fact, you left out my biggest expense -- batteries.

Not at all. Sure, most of my statements above are somewhat exceptional, but all you really need is a GPS, and it's easy to get one for under $100. Beyond that, it's only as expensive as you choose to make it, which is another great feature.

Geocaching is pretty cheap compared to my other hobby. I enjoy R/C trucks and dune buggies. The 1/8 and 1/10 scales that run on nitro are between $500-700 each, then factor in a gallon of nitro is $25-30 it all adds up quick. I recently purchased a 1/5 scale buggy and it ran right at $1000, but it runs on 93 octane, at ONLY $3/gallon, lol.

Or this one..... POLO

Humm - lets see we have 5 active polo ponies, plus 2 retired (but didn't have the heart to give away / sell), and each eats its way through about $$$ feed / hay per month, plus stabling, farrier and veterinary fees, then theres the tack (saddles / bridles and such for each horse) and the trailer plus all the equipment (buckets, bandages, halters etc) and the truck to pull it all. Then there's polo boots, hats, and freaking shirts, dozens of broken / warped mallets ($120) and hundreds of misshapen / lost / broken balls at $3.50 each. We have not played or even practiced yet. Then there's tournament fees, grooms fees and the bloody bar fees after the game. Gas to pull it all about, plus two local kids who come in after we return from matches to groom and regularly twice a week to groom / ride and train. Come to think of it I don't know why we bother - because I don't even play!! So don't be claiming geocaching is expensive - its definitely on the cheap side. Outside of the vehicle and gas I don't see how you could rack up $3000.00 ever and the horses eat that every two months. Lets see what have I forgotten: Oh yes we have not bought a pony in a while - OK throw in a few of those every so often (say 1 per year). Ooooh I am in a bad mood now why did I count all of that up - time to go geocaching - he can feed the stinking hayburners.

I have 3 main hobbies.

Wiffleball is the cheapest.

www.kzoowiffleball.com :D

Next is Geocaching

Finally Offroading is the most expensive for me.

But it really depends on your level I guess. I have a purpose built rockcrawler that all together I have about 11K in, a 5,000 tow rig. Plus gas to get anywhere fun is about $300 round trip.

Which is why lately the Jeep stays in the garage and I play a lot more wiffleball :unsure:

Surely you must be joking. This hobby is about the cheapest thing you could do besides just hiking/walking.

A 1 time GPS purchase and maybe $3/month if you are a PM. (Say you pay $100 for GPS and use it 5 years. That is less than $2 month.)

SWAG- you dont need it. Dont trade.

There are few hobbies cheaper. I cant even think of one.

Walking?

Reading?

Im being serious. What is cheaper?

- Lots and Lots of gas

- Goodies

-Etc Etc.

No.

It's one of the cheapest hobbies you could get into and, for folks that are already avid outdoors enthusiasts, it can be zero-cost too.

All of the aforementioned hobbies are way more expensive than geocaching. I'm thrilled with how cheap caching is, actually (except for my gas bills!).

However, I think the OP is a teenager, based on their profile and comparison of geocaching to paintball. So, from their perspective, geocaching probably is an expensive hobby, as they are unlikely to be into boating, horses, golfing, etc. And if they are into these activities, the 'rents are probably footing the bills. :unsure:

Edited by hydnsek

Surely you must be joking. This hobby is about the cheapest thing you could do besides just hiking/walking.

A 1 time GPS purchase and maybe $3/month if you are a PM. (Say you pay $100 for GPS and use it 5 years. That is less than $2 month.)

SWAG- you dont need it. Dont trade.

There are few hobbies cheaper. I cant even think of one.

Walking?

Reading?

Im being serious. What is cheaper?

I was thinking the same thing. Even watching TV is more expensive when you consider the cost of the TV and the monthly cable/satellite bill. :unsure:

Compare the costs to golfing. Price a decent set of golf clubs. They make any GPS look cheap. Then in San Diego you are going to pay $50-$100 each time you play a round. Then you still have to drive to whatever course you are going to play. Finally you need to practice so add more gas and a few $7 buckets of balls to the cost each week. Finally speaking of balls, if you are a hack like used to me, add buying new balls into the mix. So geocaching is a very cheap activity. :unsure:

i disagree, i have decent set of clubs that i picked up for under 50 and i have a close 18 hole course that is about 15 bucks a play.

I searched for an inexpensive hobby on the net after spending $30 for less than 1 hour of bowling with my family.

Now $30 can last at least 2 full days of caching.

Cache for 2 days and see cool places or spend <1 hour in bowling alley. The kids like the choice we made.

Plus the family benefits are worth it even if it was more expensive.

I searched for an inexpensive hobby on the net after spending $30 for less than 1 hour of bowling with my family.

Now $30 can last at least 2 full days of caching.

Cache for 2 days and see cool places or spend <1 hour in bowling alley. The kids like the choice we made.

Plus the family benefits are worth it even if it was more expensive.

Knight2000, I think your new avatar is Dynamite! :unsure:

Compare the costs to golfing. Price a decent set of golf clubs. They make any GPS look cheap. Then in San Diego you are going to pay $50-$100 each time you play a round. Then you still have to drive to whatever course you are going to play. Finally you need to practice so add more gas and a few $7 buckets of balls to the cost each week. Finally speaking of balls, if you are a hack like used to me, add buying new balls into the mix. So geocaching is a very cheap activity. :D

Thank you for being a hack. Now I know where to get lots of slightly used golf balls. That should save me some money on geocaching swag. :unsure:

I've seen several used GPS units for $25 or so.

geocaching.com is free.

you don't need to take or leave swag if you don't want, and I've never seen anything that was worth more than a few bucks ever... try to find any other hobby that costs nothing at all.

So, I can't think of very many hobbies which are cheaper to participate in. Sure you could spend a little more on a GPS unit if you want, but you don't need to, and even if you do, it's still cheaper than buying high end equipment for almost any other hobby.

Compare the costs to golfing. Price a decent set of golf clubs. They make any GPS look cheap. Then in San Diego you are going to pay $50-$100 each time you play a round. Then you still have to drive to whatever course you are going to play. Finally you need to practice so add more gas and a few $7 buckets of balls to the cost each week. Finally speaking of balls, if you are a hack like used to me, add buying new balls into the mix. So geocaching is a very cheap activity. :D

Thank you for being a hack. Now I know where to get lots of slightly used golf balls. That should save me some money on geocaching swag. :unsure:

:D I live on a golf course and have over a thousand of those round white things. :D Edited by TrailGators

Geez..after reading all these posts, I'm really glad that I'm poor. If I had more money, I'd probably be tempted to take up some of these high priced activities. :unsure: Hiking has always been mostly free..(except for the gas and if you make friends..they usually will supply the car.) Geocaching is sort of like my extra bonus. If I'm going to be on the trails...it's kinda cool to have something else to look for besides deer, birds, chippers, squirrels, snakes, rock slides, spider webs, stinging nettle, poison ivy.... I don't take anything other than I normally do..except I have been buying more pens...don't know why.

Lets add up my favorite sport, skiing:

Skis $300-$1,000

Bindings $150-$350

Boots $150-$500

Poles $20-$90

Goggles $25 - $100

Socks $15

Shell pants - $100 - $200

Parka $200 - $500

Fleece pullover - $50

Long underwear (tops and bottoms) - $50

So you're already out between $1,000 and $3,000 before you even walk out the door.

Add in:

Lift tickets $50 - $75 a day

Ski tuneups/waxing - $35 every 2 - 8 days of skiing depending on conditions

Transportation (gas to slopes, air fare, etc...) lots of moola

Lodging - lots more moola

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or how about bass fishing?

Just to stock a tackle box:

Tackle box $30 - $50

6 Rapalas various sizes and colors $30

10 Mepps and other spinners $40

2 Jitterbugs - $10

2 Zara Spooks - $10

2 Hula poppers - $10

4 spinnerbaits - $10

3 packs of rubber worms - $10

6 jigs - $15

hook assortment - $15

sinker assortment - $10

fish scale - $10

pliers - $5

net -$10

Rods (you'll want at least 2, more likely 3 or 4) $20 - $150 each

Spinning reels $20 - $75 each

Bait casting reels $50 - $200

Bass boat $500 - $30,000

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or Golf?

Clubs and woods $500 - $2,000

Shoes $50 - $90

Balls (free from geocaches :unsure: )

Greens fees $30 - $200 per round.

Nah, geocaching is quite cheap compared to other activities.

Knight2000, I think your new avatar is Dynamite! :D

:unsure: Yeah- i have skills.

You know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, geocaching skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

;):D:o:D:o:lol:

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"--Red Green

OT,

Collecting Rum

Girls

Buying houses (just made an offer on one tonight)

Girls

Cars

Girls

Lotsa stuff that's more expensive.

Knight2000, I think your new avatar is Dynamite! :D

:unsure: Yeah- i have skills.

You know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, geocaching skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

;):D:o:D:o:lol:

Don: Hey, Napoleon. What did you do last summer again?

Napoleon Dynamite: I told you! I spent it with my uncle in Alaska hunting wolverines!

Don: Did you shoot any?

Napoleon Dynamite: Yes, like 50 of 'em! They kept trying to attack my cousins, what the heck would you do in a situation like that?

Don: What kind of gun did you use?

Napoleon Dynamite: A freakin' 12-gauge, what do you think?

Most of my geocaching gear I already had before I started caching since I am an avid hiker. Only needed the GPS and swag items. I see where you are coming from though if you talley it all up.

My other hobbies are Skiing, Flyfishing, walleye fishing and disc golf. Walleye fishing can be very spendy as I do have a deep V walleye boat. My wife always says that what it costs me for a weekend of walleye fishing, I could treat my whole family and friends to the Red Lobster, including the beer! :unsure:

Disc golf (golf with frisbees) is by far my cheapest hobby. There are 4 courses in my area and are free. Only need 2 discs to play at $8 a piece. A fun outdoor game to play for all ages and there are courses all over.

I have 3 main hobbies.

Wiffleball is the cheapest.

www.kzoowiffleball.com :D

Which is why lately the Jeep stays in the garage and I play a lot more wiffleball :unsure:

Great site, that wiffleball league looks fun, wish there was one around my parts. There is a small 1860's Rules baseball league here though.

:D:unsure:

It's scary. I think some people think i was trying to say that i have those skills.

You know, there's like a butt-load of gangs at this school. This one gang kept wanting me to join because I'm pretty good with a bo staff.

:D

So, we're pretty much friends by now, right?

So, you got my back and everything, right? :D

Edited by TrailGators