Large vehicle Accesible Attribute Requested

Hobbit Taz

Would like to see an attribute for caches (like dogs allowed etc.) for large vehicle accessiblity

I often travel in a motor home and I know there are Geo-Truckers out there who might enjoy searching for caches, but dont leave the main highway for some since they dont know if its easy to get in, out, or turn around if they are in a Semi, larger motor home, or pulling a large trailer of any sort.

Places like truck stops, rest areas, etc may be self explaining, but many caches might be easily accessible and parking adequate for a larger vehicle, but you have to bypass due to the uncertainty.

Although it wouldn't affect me, it sounds like an interesting idea.

My question would be how would a person who knows little about big trucks/RV's know if it needs this attribute? I wouldn't want any confusion/trouble for people coming in with the idea that they would fit and or there was a turn around or whatever. That would stink.

Although it wouldn't affect me, it sounds like an interesting idea.

My question would be how would a person who knows little about big trucks/RV's know if it needs this attribute? I wouldn't want any confusion/trouble for people coming in with the idea that they would fit and or there was a turn around or whatever. That would stink.

People can't figure out what's wheelchair accessable. They won't be any better at Trucks and RV's.

Excellent points - I understand not everyone knows.

My thinking would be it would be like other attributes (especially the transportation ones) -horses allowed, recommended for kids, etc. if you don't know then it wont be on your attribute list either way.

but if you know for sure then it would be a way to let others know.

For instance Im thinking of putting up a travel bug hotel and know there is a Semi parking area almost next to the area just so a truck driver or traveler in an RV would know that would be a great place to drop a travel bug or pick one up on thier way to someplace far far away. But currently the only way to let them know is in the description (or possibly name). In this case it just gets lost in the other 100s of caches while going through or around the city.

I know that many states now allow additional road signs for large trucks/RV accessible resturaunts, gas stations etc. This would be just a nice idea for those who travel that way.

Thank you, StarBrand. I just saw this a few minutes ago and was about to post the same link.

For those who want to have their placements checked out as to "big-truck" accessable, I would be happy to start a topic in the forums at GeoTruckers to enlist the help of our members to check out your location. Keep in mind that many areas have a negative mind-set about trucks, and we can be ticketed for stopping many places that you wouldn't get a second glance in a car. Shopping center or church parking lots are not encouraged because they often are not designed to handle the weight of a loaded truck without damage. Roadway shoulders are discouraged due to the risk of injury to driver and passing motorist. Crossing the median of an Interstate highway is illegal in most locations, for us and smaller vehicles. We encourage safety, but not much else, above caching enjoyment.

We at GeoTruckers happily share our bookmarks with any who might be traveling in a vehicle larger than the normal. Look for the links on the left side of the page for bookmark and maps.

Trucker Lee

Cacher and GeoTrucker

No guarantee on the level of my integrity at any given time

Sounds Excellent - too bad there isnt a easier way to get the word out though. Still think an attribute would be a good start - would be easier for even the GeoTruckers website to search and add to thier lists. Hopefully the Geotrucker website can work something out with Geocaching.com for the betterment of both.

Ill be sure to suggest the next cache either Cribbage Witch or I put out which we believe to be Trucker or RV friendly to that website though and try to make sure we note it somehow in the description/name also.

What’s the turning radius of a semi-tractor or a 30' motor home? What about a 20' one? I sure don’t know, nor do I want the obligation of finding out.

As a driver who has been given incompatible directions far too many times by folks who don't have a clue, I'd probably ignore the attribute.