Political Caching

Umm, I left a "needs archived" log on the cache last night after reading the recent posts to this thread to determine why such an old thread got bumped. It's in the hands of the local reviewers now. :)
Sorry guys, I read that like he was saying that you had already done it when I made that recommendation. That's what happens when I post before having my morning coffee. :rolleyes: As busy as you are that was very nice of you to do. :huh: Edited by TrailGators

i have never liked our border guards. for the most part the ones you meet leaving the country are polite and cheerful, but it's a real chore getting back into the u.s.. they always look like they're not going to let me back in, but they can't keep me out forever. i'm a citizen, and i really resent being treated like criminal scum when i come back home.

i do not feel more secure.

welcome to the land of the free.

You must have been unlucky enough to get the ones who don't understand your demeanor, as we here on this forum have come to understand it. I've crossed in and out of Canada three times in the last year (Thousand Islands, Cornwall, and by air to and from Halifax) and the border guards on both sides were more than pleasant. Of course, I answered their questions about how much beer I was bringing to and fro honestly, and didn't take umbrage at their asking me a few questions to verify that I was who my passport said I was. I've also entered the US from Europe at least a dozen times in last five years (Baltimore, Dulles, Reagan Int'l and Philadelphia) and only once did I have a problem with immigration; that was because four international flights landed in Philly within a half an hour of each other and the lines were way too long. Even with the long wait after the longer flight, the guard was fine. If you wan't attitude, try driving into the Czech Republic at 2 am on a cold February morning when the guards have to leave a warm station to come out to your car.

But to get this back on track, I prefer no politics in my caching. On the forums, a good dog fight with fur and spit flying everywhere is fun to watch, and occasionally, to goad extremists of both (or all) sides into further frenzy.

I think that is a valid question: is it proper to place political info in a cache, whether it is for or against a group?

What about religious tracts?

I was thinking the same thing.

I'm thinking here - if we're gonna say political or religious agendas are a no-no....are we going to ban the following things (things i HAVE found in caches):

1. toy soldiers - obvious support for war (at least some war) - blatantly anti-peace?

2. McDonalds happy meal toys - obvious support for the enslavement of animals - blatant violation of the rights of animals?

3. Mickey Mouse toys - blatant affront to Islam and to Allah - dont beleive me? - see

http://www.metimes.com/Editorial/2008/09/2...a_too_far/7727/

Ok - i think I've made my point here...if yer gonna disallow something because of politcial or religious overtones - it better be really good....

I think that is a valid question: is it proper to place political info in a cache, whether it is for or against a group?

I'm thinking here - if we're gonna say political or religious agendas are a no-no....are we going to ban the following things (things i HAVE found in caches):

1. toy soldiers - obvious support for war (at least some war) - blatantly anti-peace?

2. McDonalds happy meal toys - obvious support for the enslavement of animals - blatant violation of the rights of animals?

3. Mickey Mouse toys - blatant affront to Islam and to Allah - dont beleive me? - see

Ok - i think I've made my point here...if yer gonna disallow something because of politcial or religious overtones - it better be really good....

The guidelines are against caches promoting agendas and not what is inside them.

So the cache I asked about has been archived. But not until the cache owner deleted my find and made some comment about a double standard...Confederate Flag Caches in the South but he can't have a political hide and called me a fascist to boot. Strikes me as childish, but lesson learned.

There are those that will be spiteful and seek retribution so should you come upon a hide that has no place in geocaching discuss it back channel with a regional cache master - not on the forum - or you just might get your find erased as I did. No biggie, I'll make it shortly and clearly the guy was a doofus. ;-)

Happy caching folks!

Edited by Team Chinook

If it isn't something family oriented then it shouldn't be there. But someone might really want a button or a sticker, so I don't see any harm, unless the item is profane, hateful, etc.

The guidelines are against caches promoting agendas and not what is inside them.