Tech terms help

hyflyt

Hi. New to the forums and hoping ya'll could help me out with some GPS definitions. I'm looking for a handheld unit that I can carry on my motorcycle. I don't want to spend the $$$ for a Zumo, and my girls' have shown an interest in trying some geocaching, so thought a handheld would fit the bill the best.

1. High-sensitivity receiver. Some units have it, others don't. Do I need it, and why?

2. Base map

3. Geocaching mode. Some units have this, why?

4. MapSource. Is this a software package that Garmin will sell you?

5. RoHS version.

6. Electric compass. On some units that DO NOT have this feature, they still show a screen shot of what appears to be a compass rose with a pointer.

7. What is the maximum speed that can be displayed? Will most units be able to show a speed of 80 mph?

8. In the Garmin model line, many of the model names are followed by Hc, Cx, HCx, CS, CSx. Do the letters show something specific between the model line?

9. Are the units with Autorouting the only units that will "tell" you when to turn? How is this done...voice, alert, etc.?

10. Is having an SD slot the way to go?

Based on what I've read from various GPS users from the motorcycle message boards, most have said to stay away from Magellan due to customer service and some internal components failing. I think I'm leaning towards one of the Garmin units...not to bash Magellan because I've used some awesome Magellan GPS units in my aviation career.

Thanks all. I came here because you are probably the largest users of GPS technology.

J

Most of these could have been asked with a forum search in less time than it took to write this, but here's a quicky to get you started.

1) On the motocrcyle, probably not. In the woods, probably so.

2) Built in map that's used until you get detailed maps.

3) Because they're meant to be used by geocachers.

4) Yes.

5) If ou don't know what Reduction of Hazardous Substance is about, you probably don't care.

6) Yes, but it's effective only when you're moving.

7) Lots. The number varies per model, but as they work on planes, 80mph isn't out of the park.

8) Yes. C is color. X is xpandable (takes memory card) S is sensors (barometer, compass)

9) That's what autorouting does. Depending on the model, it'll beep, tell you when to turn with a voice,

or even "read" the street name and say that to you.

10) If you need a map capacity larger than you can get otherwise, yes.

You might want to look at the 60Cx with a 2GB SD card and City Navigator. Wait a couple of weeks to be sure you get the updated version (v2008) of the maps.

Lots of people also use the Quest 2 on their bikes, but it might be beyond your desired price range.

Keep in mind that the handhelds don't have a "voice". The routing directions will be visual on the screen supplemented with beeps (which you won't necessarily be able to hear on a bike).

Your max speed question made me smile. People take their GPS units on commercial airline flights (when permitted) and have reported speeds above 400 - 500 mph or more.

I use a Garmin 60CS on a RAM mount on my Motorcycle and various Jeeps and Bicycles for several years now. It has proven to be a reliable, waterproof aide to navigation that just happens to have the Geocache mode.

While it does not have a voice, A change of course brings up a new screen that gets my attention.

Save for the screen size ( a limitation compared to the Zumo ), the 60Csx or 60Cs will do well on a bike. In a RAM mount on my DR650, I have no fear of it coming loose. I have however been concerned about the vibration. So, I got a Zumo as well. I had planned on a ICO trail computer, then I saw that I could do alot more with the Zumo. I haven't looked back.

You might want to look at the 60Cx with a 2GB SD card and City Navigator. Wait a couple of weeks to be sure you get the updated version (v2008) of the maps.

Your max speed question made me smile. People take their GPS units on commercial airline flights (when permitted) and have reported speeds above 400 - 500 mph or more.

I like the 60 series. It seems that the cost vs. the Vista is about the same once City Navigator is factored in.