Most Unxepected Thing Found

We came across a medieval battle re-enactment in the middle of nowhere in a wood. Lots of hey nonny no; girls with pointy hats and veils – though no burquas – and knights of yawn, er, I mean yore in abundance.

I think I preferred that scene to the pubic hairs and toenail clippings I once discovered in a cache (they were identified as such by the "owner*" in the log too!). I certainly didn’t expect that. Ugh.

*edited to say it wasn't the cache owner but the biological owner.

Edited by jerryo

I found a coffin propped up where one should not be, and an entire MDF graveyard too, and some 1940s cars... they were filming 'Mrs Henderson Presents' round the Coombe Hill monument in Bucks. Most unexpected! Didn't see Dame Judy Dench nor Bob Hoskins though.

I found a dead vole in a cache last week - that aparently was alive when the muggle placed it in there (according to his log in the logbook anyway). The smell was appalling!

Please tell me that isn't true and that I've missed the joke......

Who would put a live animal in an air tight container??!! Gross.

Film crews all over Oxford yesterday.

One lot made a good diversion while we were seeking University Challenge 1

One lot had to wait until we'd found University Challenge 2 before the cameras could roll

One lot filled the Turf Tavern with special effects smoke, which was a mistake apparently, but the beer still tasted just as good.........

<snip>One lot filled the Turf Tavern with special effects smoke, which was a mistake apparently, but the beer still tasted just as good.........

The Turf, now there's a blast from the past. I used to go there when I was studying in Oxford in the early 80s. If it's the same place.

I found a dead vole in a cache last week - that aparently was alive when the muggle placed it in there (according to his log in the logbook anyway). The smell was appalling!

Please tell me that isn't true and that I've missed the joke......

Who would put a live animal in an air tight container??!! Gross.

Not a joke, unfortunately. Maybe it wasn't alive when it was put in (only have the muggles log to go by), but still a gross thing to put in. After a few days in the hot weather the smell was overwhelming.

We'd just found a muggled cache with unsavoury comments in the log which had temporarily taken the edge off our day. I spotted a piece of paper lying in the grass halfway between our next cache and a nearby footpath. It turned out to be a neatly folded £20 note - and it was my birthday! We didn't think there was any point in trying to hand it in to the police so I logged that I had found a sum of money which we would place in a charity box. We were subsequently contacted by another member who asked if it was a £20 note as he'd dropped one during the course of a day's caching. I offered to send it back to him if he knew the serial number :laughing: . It was agreed that I would include it as a donation for a forthcoming sponsored walk so thanks to that other cacher (you know who you are) :laughing: .

We found £2,000 of cannabis near one of our cachies. We took it to the nearest police station. We also had a lot of explaining to do as why we were out at 7:00am looking down desertd lanes at the back of trees.

We also found about £15,000 of designer clothing. We, being the honest people we are turned it into the police, who then asked us if we could store it in our warehouse for them. The delivery company that got robbed claimed the clothing back. We didn't even receive a thank you, let alone a reward.

Edited by Sandiway Searchers

That reminds me............

My 15 Sep 2006 log from JRI's excellent Men of the Sea (Bristol) GCXYBJ:

[NB: False username created with permission from the Moderators to protect cachers identity]

A DNF, but what a DNF?! It should have been a perfect caching visit when I stopped at the location on my way home after work having solved the city centre clues at lunchtime.

A good GPS fix nearby showed me where into the trees I needed to go to allow a reasonable search. Having read earlier logs I knew it wouldn’t be easy so after about half an hour I was relieved to find the Tupperware about where it should be, wrapped inside a carrier bag. I went to the path to unwrap it thinking ‘this is a heavy cache, I wonder what’s in it?’ Out of the bag it came, off with the lid, but what’s this, a box full of white powder cut into blocks? Oopsy, methinks I’ve got me someone else’s cache!!! Yes, I had apparently picked up a stash of heroin, cocaine or crack (see pictures). What a predicament!

Of all the days to have left my mobile at home, consequently I had to go to a nearby house to ask if I could use their phone to call the police – I wasn’t going to risk being stopped with a good 1Kg of the hard stuff!245484a1-cafb-4625-8c1c-933ddda80c3d.jpg

Two members of the Drugs Squad turned up half an hour later, investigated said substance before I showed them the hiding place. Fortunately they knew about geocaching which saved me embarrassing explanations about why I was rummaging around in the woods. Anyway all this excitement and I still hadn’t found the real cache or had I - is this an illicit branch of geocaching performed by cachers with inflamed nostrils?!!!! I’ll be back to get this cache, but probably not for a while.

It might be best to give the location a miss for a while, especially at night – if it turns out to be the real McCoy I wouldn’t want to come across an enraged junkie, or pusher, looking out for whoever took his £100K cache. A geocoacher poking around his hiding spot would certainly have some explaining, or fast running to do and it can be a lonely spot at times!

Postscript:

As a result of the above post JRI disabled the cache. The Bristol Atrium Team (Bristol Drugs Squad) subsequently carried out a full search of the area and have tested said substance which has proved to be a very valuable, over £100,000, illicit substance and investigations are continuing. Should any arrests be reported I will repost a note on this page.

Forum post script:

Typical police, they've never been back to me despite my chasing them to pass on the photos they said they wanted so no feed back follow up I'm afraid.

I mentioned this in the cache log for GC139AM.

We were on top of Cleeve Hill just after visiting this cache and a Lancaster bomber flew past.

Yes! One of only two left in the world that can still fly; and it flew past us!

We were level with it!

We could have reached out and touched the wing tips (nearly :anibad: )

but the card on our new camera was completely full of spurious shots of tupperware containers so we were unable to take any photos

ARRGGH!

Never again will we get a chance to see and hear such an awesome spectical from such a great view-point

A couple of 2Gb memory cards are now on order! :P