city nav9?

If I am not mistaken everyone is saying that this probally wont be released until July or August. What kind of changes can we expect from this? Is it worth waiting for or just get the version 8? It is funny that I have been debating topo 08 or city nav for use on atv riding and when I compare them side by side the city nav8 has way more up to date road info even a Forest Service road that topo 08 doesnt have. I have reluctantly decided on city nav but maybe I am just reading the topo maps wrong.

Maybe you can still buy the full version of CN8 at a store but, if you have a older version and wanted to get the $75 upgrade version, it is no longer available. Garmin said on 6/15 that they are no longer shipping CN8 because CN9 will be out later this summer. Even if you already had a locked CN8 upgrade DVD Garmin will not generate unlock codes for it any more.

P.S. Up thru CN8 you could get unlock codes to put a the maps on two Garmin GPS units but they said they have changed their policy with CN9 so you will have to buy a separate copy for each GPS that you want to use it with.

Called Garmin up today and asked what the difference was in the new version and he said just more road data and business data. He thought somewhere around the first week of August that it would be released. I am about to pull my hair out deciding on waiting or getting topo 08.

Called Garmin up today and asked what the difference was in the new version and he said just more road data and business data. He thought somewhere around the first week of August that it would be released. I am about to pull my hair out deciding on waiting or getting topo 08.

I plan on getting both myself. Topo 08 is comming today. You can get topo 08 for less then

100 shipped on tigergps.com.

If you buy that now and try to put that 100 out of your mind till August, it will be just like you are only paying 110-120 for city nav9.

They really are 2 different maps and do 2 different things. If u want auto routing and a road map go for city nav9. If you don't care about auto routing, POI's, where to stop to eat, sleep, etc etc etc, and are more concerned about how steep a mountain is, go for topo 08.

If you are really that poor that the 100 now will truely cause you not to be able to buy the road map in 2 months, i would suggest really evaluating what u want the map to do for you. Most likely u will want the vast info the city nav9 gives. From what i have read on here, the City Nav series do an ok job of given rural area info such as even lake buoy's. (read this on one post).

Another option might be a part time job. Maken min-wage (say mopping a mall at night)

should give ya the extra bread for city nav9 in just 23 hours. (118.45)

--danny

Edited by danny_1970_gps

Danny I am not that poor lol. I just cant justify both right now with two new atvs me and wife just bought. I guess I am kind of a tightwad in that it is just hard for me to drop over 200 dollars for maps. My thinking is to just by the one that fits my needs the most and just be happy with it.

Danny I am not that poor lol. I just cant justify both right now with two new atvs me and wife just bought. I guess I am kind of a tightwad in that it is just hard for me to drop over 200 dollars for maps. My thinking is to just by the one that fits my needs the most and just be happy with it.

One more thing to consider.. If you buy topo 08, you can put it on 2 or more GPS.. In case both you and the wife each have GPS's. (or if u buy another one)

If you buy City Nav9, you will need 2 copies of it. Or however many GPS's you intend to use it on. (It will only come with one code, not 2 like the prev versions have came with)

Also, money saved is money earned. Maybe in the 2 months, u can save money by buying less gas, buying less other stuff.. and justify it that way...

Just one less fill up on both ATV's and the big 4x4 you use to pull them with, can nearly get you the City Nav9. (I know as i have a 4x4 and a jetski)

In the end, i got a feeling u will have both maps. :angry:

--danny

Edited by danny_1970_gps

I would buy now and get the free update later. :angry:

according to other post, they are not doing the "free update" thing anymore.

If thats the case, NO WAY would i buy City Nav8 with 9 on the way with the fact

upgrades cost nearly as much as the original maps.

Edited by danny_1970_gps

I'd probably try to use one of the routable map hacks to get by until City Nav 9 comes out, then I would pick that up. No way would I choose Topo over City Nav, ever. But both would be nice. :angry:

The maps in v8 are at least 1.5 to 2 years old by now, so you're better off getting 9 if you can wait.

I did not notice much of an improvement when I upgraded from V7 to V8 as far as new streets in my area at least.

Probably hit or miss depending where you live, travel etc.

That's precisely why I only upgrade my CN every 2 years...I'm on CN7 right now and will get CN9 when it comes out :angry:

Danny I have a feeling you are right about having both. I guess I know I want both but am trying to talk myself out of it. Gonna go ahead and order topo 08 and use it until the new version of city nav comes out and then address my situation then.

I just got it last night, and i think u are going to be very happy with it. Pretty neat!!

It has all the little streets labled which suprised me. One really could use it to help get around an

town or city. Also surprised me it has Churches, grave yards, hospitals, parks, etc under geographic

points in the find menu. I would have thought this feature would only be found in city nav.

But, unless you have someone with you to read it while you are driving or get off the road

to study the map, I don't think you would be able to drive thru a city to

the location safely. It can't do turn by turn. Am interested in the hack the above poster talked

about?

So, is it neat, YES. Does it make up for city nav with its turn by turn directions, places to eat,

phone numbers of hotels, (list goes on and on). NO.

Let us know how u like it once u get it.

--danny

Danny I have a feeling you are right about having both. I guess I know I want both but am trying to talk myself out of it. Gonna go ahead and order topo 08 and use it until the new version of city nav comes out and then address my situation then.

I just got it last night, and i think u are going to be very happy with it. Pretty neat!!

It has all the little streets labled which suprised me. One really could use it to help get around an town or city. Also surprised me it has Churches, grave yards, hospitals, parks, etc under geographic points in the find menu. I would have thought this feature would only be found in city nav.

But, unless you have someone with you to read it while you are driving or get off the road

to study the map, I don't think you would be able to drive thru a city to the location safely. It can't do turn by turn. Am interested in the hack the above poster talked about?

So, is it neat, YES. Does it make up for city nav with its turn by turn directions, places to eat, phone numbers of hotels, (list goes on and on). NO.

Let us know how u like it once u get it.

--danny

Edited by danny_1970_gps