GPS 60CSX waypoint direction accuracy is off

I use 2 GPSr; a Vista C and a new 60CSX at the same time to compare direction and accuracy. When I'm following the map to a waypoint, the 60CSX almost always is pointing the wrong (the line to the destination) direction to the destination. The distance continues to count down as I head towards the destination though.

I end up using my Vista C because the travel direction is correct on it. I've tried comparing settings to see what is wrong with my 60CSX but haven't figured it out yet. I've tried new batteries, re-setting to default also. Anyone else have this problem with the 60CSX.

Do you have the electronic compass turned on? Sounds to me like the electronic compass needs calibrated or you are not holding the unit perfectly horizontal with the electronic turned on. Garmin 2-axis electronic compasses perform very poorly. I almost never use mine. Try the unit with the electronic compass turned off.

My Guidance Method is turned to "Off Road" and under Follow Road Options...Off Route Recalculation is turned to Off. I tried it again with no change in results.

Where is the electronic compass settings to turn off? I have calibrated the compass in the past.

Do you have the electronic compass turned on? Sounds to me like the electronic compass needs calibrated or you are not holding the unit perfectly horizontal with the electronic turned on. Garmin 2-axis electronic compasses perform very poorly. I almost never use mine. Try the unit with the electronic compass turned off.

This is exactly what I think is happening, the compass isn't calibrated or with the compass on they aren't holding the 60csx level.

I turned the electronic compass off and tested it once with a cache yesterday. It seemed to work better. I will give it a week's worth of testing and report the outcome. I do notice the problem more when I'm walking vs. driving in a car at higher speeds.

I currently have the geographical map loaded and also use a 1GB chip.

Does the electronic compass overide the information from the satellites?

I turned the electronic compass off and tested it once with a cache yesterday. It seemed to work better. I will give it a week's worth of testing and report the outcome. I do notice the problem more when I'm walking vs. driving in a car at higher speeds.

There's a setting that tells the GPSr when to use the satellites and when to use the electronic compass. Both a speed and a time at speed input. Set this to the slowest speed (i.e. use the satellites down to the lowest minimum speed about 2 mph) and set the time to 10 seconds. This way it will stay on the satellite based pointer unless you're actually stopped.

Did you try calibrating the compass? You should calibrate it every time you change batteries. It just takes about 20 seconds.

The electronic compass on my eTrex Vista works just fine after calibration, and it works just fine when the "hold level" message disappears, which I know how to make happen quite well.

After testing , by turning the electronic compass off on my GPSr it solves the problem of the arrow trying to point another direction.

I would like to point out something that wasn't obvious to me when I first got my the 60cxs. The function of the bearing pointer is totally different than without a compass. BC , before compass, I had to move and point the GPS in the direction I was moving. On the 60csx I had to get used to the fact that the bearing pointer had no relation to the nose of the GPS. It pointed to the cache no matter which way I pointed the GPS. If you compare your Vista C and 60csx they will be different unless you point the 60csx exactly the direction the Vista C thinks you are moving. Edited by John E Cache