How do you define DNF's

Put me down as one who logs a DNF anytime I get out of the vehicle and start a search, but didn't find it. The reason doesn't matter, if I get out of the car.

I think you summed it up far better than I did. If I drive to an area, see that it's not gonna be fun for me, and leave, I often won't post anything. If the reason is something I think the cache owner might want to know about, such as construction or space aliens, I'll post a note. If I stay in my truck, I don't consider that my hunt has started.

If I look for it, and it isn't there, I claim my smilie. After all, I looked for it, didn't I? (just kidding)

My policy is to claim a DNF if I tried to find the cache, but didn't. I don't agree with Briansnat (say it ain't so!) about plugging coords into my GPSr as the determiner of the beginning of the hunt sequence, though; rather, it's when I make an attempt to find the cache that precipitates a DNF. For instance, I had planned to do a roadside cache on a highway in Kentucky, but as I drove by, roadwork precluded my stopping, That was a DNF. When my wife and I went on a short hike in a State Park recently, and I had put coordinates into the unit for a possible hunt, but did not try to find those caches, I didn't make any notation.

The step you missed was Brainsnat's "and hit go to". I have lots of caches loaded in the GPSr, but the hunt doesn't start until I hit "go to" - then if I don't sign the log (for whatever reason) I didn't find it, so that's how I log it.

So if I go get my GPS right now and select a cache at random and then "and hit go to" then I should log a DNF?

If I look for it, and it isn't there, I claim my smilie. After all, I looked for it, didn't I? (just kidding)

My policy is to claim a DNF if I tried to find the cache, but didn't. I don't agree with Briansnat (say it ain't so!) about plugging coords into my GPSr as the determiner of the beginning of the hunt sequence, though; rather, it's when I make an attempt to find the cache that precipitates a DNF. For instance, I had planned to do a roadside cache on a highway in Kentucky, but as I drove by, roadwork precluded my stopping, That was a DNF. When my wife and I went on a short hike in a State Park recently, and I had put coordinates into the unit for a possible hunt, but did not try to find those caches, I didn't make any notation.

The step you missed was Brainsnat's "and hit go to". I have lots of caches loaded in the GPSr, but the hunt doesn't start until I hit "go to" - then if I don't sign the log (for whatever reason) I didn't find it, so that's how I log it.

So if I go get my GPS right now and select a cache at random and then "and hit go to" then I should log a DNF?

I know you are just trying to keep the thread interesting but i would think that we all realize that just punching "goto" in by itself wouldn't qualify as a search. There are two parts for me, the first being that i punch "goto", the second being that i actually take off in the direction of the cache with the intent of making it to the general location to perform a search for it.

That would depend in part on whether or not you found it. I think your intent would also come into play.

That would depend in part on whether or not you found it. I think your intent would also come into play.
I was being facetious. I understand that some draw the line differently than others. The bottom line is that I will always log a note or a DNF is there is some useful info to be given to others. I use a DNF log to denote that I came up empty with a good search effort on my part. If some muggle is sitting near the cache and I decide not to search, then I will move on to the next cache and won't log anything. This was the OPs question and that is how I would handle the situation. I think it's OK for each person to decide for themselves what they should do based on the situation. I do appreciate when people communicate useful info about a cache in their logs.
What do you do?

I'd probably log a DNF if I logged anything.

My personal definition is if I started the hunt, and it doesn't matter how far along I am, if I'm thwarted for any reason that has to do with the hunt, I'll log a DNF. It could be a hornet's nest near the cache, a posted sign, washed out road, muggles, or anything along those lines.

If I call off a hunt because of something other than something with the hunt, like got a phone call, got a flat tire, got hungry and never returned, started raining, if I log anything it would be a note.

I think the major difference between the two is one is conditions in that area while the other isn't.

My way exactly. Basically If I call it off due to something about the area or cache then its a DNF - "if I feel I put a reasonable effert to it" Such as couldnt find the way into the park (went down every street I though might make it but nope couldnt find a place to park or get into the area = DNF). If as in the other day I tried from one direction and by the time I got around to the other side I think I figured it out, but it was late and I was too tired to walk the required distance to the cache = Note). If i get to the park and the first place I look I realize its a mile hike and it just too hot or late in the evening to start that then = no log (or possible note depending on if I think others or the owner could learn something usefull from it).

If I look for it and then finally give up I log a DNF. If I never even get to look for the cache I don't log a DNF.

I logged one yesterday. I knew where the cache was and I was only a couple of feet from it but it was getting dark and there were a LOT of large spiderwebs with big spiders hanging in them that I would have to go through. No thanks. Maybe in the daytime when I could see better I might have retrieved the cache. I don't want a bunch of large spiders in my hair and down the back of my neck and such. Blech.................

I've had a few where I've punched "Go To", set off for the cache but then turned back en route - usually as I've run out of time or light (path was a bit slower than expected) or the weather turned nasty, or I've been turned back as the area is closed (happens quite often here).

Unless I got to the area where I'd begin searching I'd not bother logging anything (perhaps a note, if I'd something to comment on). I don't think that the approach walk counts as "searching" for a cache: if you're half a mile away from the GPS position you have no more chance of a find than if you're sitting at home. So a DNF is as meaningless as the one posted from your armchair.

It seems obvious to me that you can't post a DNF until the approach is over and there is a chance of beginning the cache hunt.

HH

I log a DNF is if I intended to give a good search (or actual did search). I guess you might say if I couldn't find the cache because it was more difficult than I expected it to be.

• I looked until I got tired looking
  • I gave up waiting for the muggles to leave
  • I didn't bring the TOTT I needed to retrieve the cache
  • I didn't anticipate that it would take so long and ran out of time
  • I couldn't find a legal way to access the area
  • I didn't properly prepare for weather or the conditions at the cache

If I expect the cache is going to take several trips, I may post a note after each trip but no DNF. If I'm short on time and just stopping to do reconnaissance of the area I won't DNF (though if I get lucky and find the cache I'll log a find). If I get some place and decide this just isn't the kind of place where I would want to look for a cache or if the location is temporarily inaccessible, I might post a note instead of a DNF.

Well I agree with the group that says if I look for it even if it is only a minute I will log a DNF. Two weeks ago I was hiking a trail and came to one cache on it that had all kinds of construction (trees removed and all kinds of trash) at GZ I looked there for a while and logged it as a DNF then a couple of more down the trail I came to one that was under water for 25 feet and had a fence from the other direction and I decided that I did not want to spend anytime looking for it because I did not want to go waist deep in mud to get to the trees that were in the water, the cache page didn't say anything about needing a boat, snorkel or swin suit. I then found another one and then another DNF. So I had 5 finds 2 DNFs and one note. Was I right? In my mind I did not look for it I even though I did walk down the trail by it, so it was not a DNF to me. Each to their own I guess seeing how the rules are not written down and it is all on the honor system.

Today I went at lunch to look for one that the area had been cleared and mowed no trees no brush nothing but stumps and grass, it has not been found it a couple of months and there was some new houses being built about 200 yards from it, so I just entered it as a note. If the owner answers me that is is still there I will go back and enter a DNF and go back and look for it but I am sure it will be archived. Why log a DNF on an archived cache?

...the area had been cleared and mowed ...

Why log a DNF on an archived cache?

If it's not currently archived and you've been to GZ and not found it then it should be a DNF. You have to assume that the owner has been out and checked it if there's no evidence to the contrary. If you find finely-shredded bits of cache box and chewed-up McToys, you might like to add a SBA...but if you can still sign the log then it's a find (and a SBA?).

...the area had been cleared and mowed ...

If it's not currently archived and you've been to GZ and not found it then it should be a DNF. You have to assume that the owner has been out and checked it if there's no evidence to the contrary. If you find finely-shredded bits of cache box and chewed-up McToys, you might like to add a SBA...but if you can still sign the log then it's a find (and a SBA?).

The owner archived it the same day after reading my message if I logged it as a DNF he might not have saw the problem with it for a few days but with the message it emails the owner also. I know I could have emailed him directly but that took care of both of them for me. Again there was nothing that I could have found. One of the reasons I log DNFs is so that I can go back and find them again once I have found a few of the hiders caches to learn his/her style. Again that is my way is it right or wrong who's to say until the rules are written down? To me it is right I see no reason to log a DNF if the cache is missing or I don't look for it. I have yet to see stats for DNF's than my own and even if they are there I don't care I am not in it for the numbers but for the exercise finding a cache is just a bonus. I lost a lot of DNF's from when I first started becasue I changed my name but I still log DNF's if I look for them and don't find them.

We have to drive close to a hundred miles to get to caches because we have found most of the ones here in Cheyenne. We load about 100 caches into our GPS. Then we drive to the area we are about to cache in. If we actually looked for the cache and could not find, we log a DNF. If the coords are just in our GPS and we did not even get to look for it because of time limits, weather, ect.. we don't log a DNF. We just put it on a new list for the next time we are in that area.. Different people play the game differently. No skin off our noses because anyone elses stats don't matter to us, just ours. We think the DNF is really for when you can't find a cache you looked for, that way the owner can go and look to see if it is still there if they get a couple DNF's in a row. :blink:

DNF to me means I didn't get the cache open. There's a cache here called Master of the Universe. It's an ammo box with a combo lock on it..... sure, I've found the cache, but I haven't gotten into it in the 4 times I've been there. I know one person at least who logged it as a find, although they were there with me and never got into it.

I will log a dnf as a courtesy to the owner if I made a legitimate effort to find the cache and did not find it and believe that the cache might not still be there.

You should log a DNF if you didn't find the cache, whether you think the cache is still there, or not. The DNF is part of your caching history, and part of the cache's history. I logged a DNF on two caches the other day on which I am now getting "Watchlist" logs that say, "Easy find." :o

Edited by Miragee

My DNF policy...

If I drive by and don't get out of the car (don't like the area, or it's just too busy) to me that's more of a "scouting" mission. Probably wouldn't post a DNF unless there was something really strange or interesting going on at the site that might affect subsequent finds.

If I actually get out of the car and arrive at a location and someone's sitting on top of the site and not moving, I'll most likely log a DNF.

If I'm actually poking around getting my hands dirty and don't find it... that is a sure-fire, guaranteed DNF.

Driver Carries Cache

I've done that. Before I set up my PQ's to come in weekly and autoerase my old ones, I was terrible at maintaining my data in GSAK. I'd find myself in an area with some time to kill and fire up the ol' 60CSx, to see what's out there. Engage in a cache hunt, fail to locate it, get home, look it up, just to discover it was archived a couple months ago. These are what I refer to as my Homer Simpson moments. "Doh!" I'll log a DNF just to maintain my history.