Schizo cachers

I've just read the thread about team members relogging caches under new names. Round these parts we seem to have several cachers who have dual identities. I know the background to one of those which is fine (no names mentioned) but it does seem odd when you know one person is logging the same find under 2 names at the same time. Is this common? Is it just me who thinks it's weird?

I suppose it depends on how many of you there are.

For example, I know of a team of cachers (a family of four) who cache under one identity. Within this group are Dad and his eleven year old daughter who also have seperate caching identities. This is because they are the ones who enjoy caching the most, and will often go out without the rest of the family. If the whole family go out the cache gets three logs - dad, daughter and family. If just dad and daughter - two logs and if just dad - one log. I think it suits them well to do it this way so they know who has found what.

I've just read the thread about team members relogging caches under new names. Round these parts we seem to have several cachers who have dual identities. I know the background to one of those which is fine (no names mentioned) but it does seem odd when you know one person is logging the same find under 2 names at the same time. Is this common? Is it just me who thinks it's weird?

Some people have sock puppet accounts so their archived caches can be transferred to them (before archiving) and then they won’t have dead caches on their page. That seems ok and I think (?) the moderators don’t mind this.

If you are referring to the people who have "dual identities" that are secret so they can pretend to be someone/something else then it's probably weird! It seems pretty clear that you could find out who it was by seeing which genuine cacher had logged the finds too.

I think the moderators tolerate this activity (?) as long as no one’s annoyed by it. Speaking of which, I’m surprised that no-one has been “anti” the dual loggings stance as this site can become a tad argumentative at times.

Bite, someone :anitongue:

If you are referring to the people who have "dual identities" that are secret so they can pretend to be someone/something else then it's probably weird!

Careful......all 3 reviewers have alternate identities which they use for caching :anitongue:

B)

Now that WOULD be dodgy, the sting is you could get burnt B)B):P:PB)

I'm jusy about to become a dual personality. I am going to be caching within a group sometimes. Because that group will consist of maybe four or five individuals and I won't be present every time I want to count those finds i'm involved with as the team but also as myself.

I guess it is about the numbers found because I wouldn't be able to seperate those I found with the team from the groups total and although I'll never make the top cacher in the UK I do like to know roughly how many I've plodded along to.

Are these folks paying multiple times for Premium account use too? Having multiple Premium accounts to increase pocket queries may be a reason for doing this...

I don't have a problem with it - but I have noticed an increasing number of emails from caches I watch that just say "Logging under new user id" or "found with team xxxxxxx" which I guess may be from multiple account holders or indeed due to the new method of changing your geocaching name.... :unsure:

Maybe time to add to the geocaching.com wishlist to allow a single cache log to be shared amoungst more than one caching ID if several cachers (schizo or team players) are present at the find.

J

Some people have sock puppet accounts so their archived caches can be transferred to them (before archiving) and then they won’t have dead caches on their page. That seems ok and I think (?) the moderators don’t mind this.

That wouldn't be a 'sock puppet' it would just be a perfectly legitimate second caching identity.

Sock puppets are created specifically to cause trouble by making inflammatory postings, starting 'flame wars' or the like. Fortunately we have very few on this forum and any that are identified are dealt with swiftly by our moderators.

Please don't confuse the two and suggest that every second identity is a 'sock puppet'

Thank you :unsure: