Im thinking of placing a cache...

Rocky_River_Waterfall_by_Wolfbait1.jpg

The spot is beautiful... I don't want to place a cache in the waterfall but the rocky outcroppings. This is the remains of our city's booming sand stone quarry established in the 1830's. The only problem is that this is part of the Cleveland Metroparks system and they are very picky about caches, require you to fill out alot of paperwork, and allow you to only keep a cache for a year. Any comments, suggestions?

------------------------ Edit ------------------------------------------

source for quarry info. http://home.earthlink.net/~bereahistorical/Sandstone.html

cleveland metro parks page http://www.clemetparks.com/recreation/geocaching/index.asp

Edited by wolfbait

I love the idea of a cache there.

I would rather have a cache in an area like that be a super easy and typical find. I would not want others searching for a cache in an area like that damaging anything. I dont think people intend to damage. It just happens.

For me what would be great is not the cache, but the location. I have not dealt with CMP but hope to visit them someday. I would say do your best to work with them. Even if you cant place it where you wanted to, i would still want to visit so please try to find somewhere- cause that is cool. Especially if it has history attached.

Consider too, changes in the water level and what that might do to accessibility and possible washing of the cache downstream.

I have found that caches placed close to features like this where a lot of people play tend to get muggled pretty quickly, despite how "well hidden" we think it is.

i would put the cache a little farther down the trail so that people typically would pass the falls on the way to it but the cache is a little farther than most people go when they are playing in the stream.

There is this one area I could possibly hide it in... its downstream... you have to scale down some rocks... climb over a fallen tree trunk and behind a massive boulder. Then again I would have to set the terrain at 3.5- 4.0 stars ... and if you fall... prepare to get a little wet.

Rocky_River_Waterfall_by_Wolfbait1.jpg

The spot is beautiful... I don't want to place a cache in the waterfall but the rocky outcroppings. This is the remains of our city's booming sand stone quarry established in the 1830's. The only problem is that this is part of the Cleveland Metroparks system and they are very picky about caches, require you to fill out alot of paperwork, and allow you to only keep a cache for a year. Any comments, suggestions?

------------------------ Edit ------------------------------------------

source for quarry info. http://home.earthlink.net/~bereahistorical/Sandstone.html

cleveland metro parks page http://www.clemetparks.com/recreation/geocaching/index.asp

That looks like a great place to put a cache and I commend you for wanting to put forth the effort to "do it right" and asking this question here. A cache placement like this is ideal because it is not only a beautiful place but it offers a genuine educational opportunity. A few things come to mind about a placement like this:

1. Take full advantage of the opportunity to share something interesting but perhaps a little obscure about the area. The special sandstone and it's unique qualities come to mind but I am sure there's others. In the information you supply try to not repeat the information that is made available to hikers in this area via signage or pamphlets distributed by the park. Make it your goal to complement but not repeat what is available. With this in mind, laminate some additional information on one sheet of paper and put it in the cache. You will find that not everyone will read your page beforehand but often when they are -right there- is the moment when they may want the information the most. Would it possible to include a little sample of the finished sandstone that comes from this area?

2. As it has been mentioned, hold a CITO event. Be sure to put a simple press release and make sure the parks people see it. You might bolster your attendance by releasing your cache on this same day and during the event if possible. You can ask your reviewer (if he's cool like mine) to release within a certain time frame. Have the cache pages printed and ready to hand out at the event because it does not appear that there's internet access closeby.

3. It's hard to make this call from my computer but it looks like the photo you posted is the focal point of your cache and what you want people to experience. Remember that this will also be the destination of many other non-geocachers too. You don't have to hide it, right there. If there is a vantage point from above where you can see the falls from a distance, you might want to take a look at that. Putting your cache on or near the water is problematic on a lot of levels. You don't want water interacting with your cache and sometimes people interacting with the water is not appreciated. Try not to exclude people that are able to hike all the way there but cannot retrieve the cache due to water hazards or otherwise.

4. Truly partner with the parks people. Find out who is in charge of approving caches and contact them before you put something out. Share your thoughts and be sure to ask them for ideas, they will be thrilled. Understand that most people in this profession will probably have personal ownership of this area and may be able to give you interesting information. It will also be much easier to get approved if they have a little ownership in your placement too.

5. Consider putting together a mission statement for your cache placement before you do anything. This might sound like a little overkill but you will find that everything you do will be easier once you have done it. It could be as simple as "In the 365 days that this cache will be hidden, the area will be improved by cleaning up the trash in the area and educating people about it's unique qualities."

6. Document your efforts. Make sure that you visit the areas and photograph the areas that you plan to improve. Go back in a year and measure your success. If it is significant as you hoped, be sure to tell people about it. It will be good for Geocaching and it will be good for you as a person.

Consider making it an Earthcache--it's a great spot for one.

The parks people will like it because there is no container, but it will still highlight the falls and bring people to the area. Teachers and other earthcache enthusiasts will like it because they can use it to teach/learn more about how nature and humans interact. Geocachers will like it because they get to earn a smilie while they learn a bit of history and geology.

Consider making it an Earthcache--it's a great spot for one.

The parks people will like it because there is no container, but it will still highlight the falls and bring people to the area. Teachers and other earthcache enthusiasts will like it because they can use it to teach/learn more about how nature and humans interact. Geocachers will like it because they get to earn a smilie while they learn a bit of history and geology.

I like this idea!