Garmin Venture Cx VS Vista Cx

Alright I have been interested in GPS's for 3 years now ever since my dad picked his up.... I was actually the one who did all the research for him and he picked up a Garmin Legend C. Now it comes time for me to pick up my own.

Here's the info:

Venture Cx = $199.99 CAN

Vista Cx = $309.99 CAN

Now which is the better bang for the buck?

Is the electronic compass and barometric altimeter really worth the extra $100+ for the Vista?

Also I am going on a trip at the beginning of July and I was planning to use the GPS frequently for the trip... but ever since I found out about the new Garmin "H" series with High-Sensitivity Receivers I have not been able to make up my mind if I should buy the Vista Cx or the Venture Cx now or wait until the end of August when the "H" series come out. Is it worth waiting for? The GPS will be very handy on my trip though so that is why I am more + or for going with the current GPS's.]

So overall which would be the better GPS for the dollar? The Venture Cx or the Vista Cx?

You'll quickly realise the shortcomings of the GPS chip on the Cx series, with its poorer sensivity under challenging reception conditions. You'll be kicking yourself for ages for not waiting and getting the HC series. The Venture HC will not be available with expandable memory, whereas the Vista HCx will.

You'll quickly realise the shortcomings of the GPS chip on the Cx series, with its poorer sensivity under challenging reception conditions. You'll be kicking yourself for ages for not waiting and getting the HC series. The Venture HC will not be available with expandable memory, whereas the Vista HCx will.

I will enjoy the Venture Cx or Vista Cx if it is the same as the reception on the Garmin Legend C.... which my dad had. I have no complaints about that GPS. So does the Vista Cx or Venture Cx have the same reception as that one?

I have the Vista C, but I also have a Legend C for "backup." Both work very well where I cache. If I had to cache in dense, forested areas, I'm not sure I would be as happy with them.

For the $100 difference, I would not get the Vista Cx. The Venture Cx will work just fine, and will be comparable to the Legend C you are familiar with.

It's up to you . . . If I didn't have a GPSr, I would get one yesterday . . . :)

Also, one thing about the first items to roll off the assembly line . . . there could be bugs. The first Vista Cx's had some big problems that necessitated returns, or updated firmware. If I upgrade from my Vista C, to the HCx, I'll probably wait at least six more months.

It's up to you . . . If I didn't have a GPSr, I would get one yesterday . . . :)

Also, one thing about the first items to roll off the assembly line . . . there could be bugs. The first Vista Cx's had some big problems that necessitated returns, or updated firmware. If I upgrade from my Vista C, to the HCx, I'll probably wait at least six more months.

Dang I cannot make up my mind :) I have had Lebaron holding the Garmin Vista Cx for me for over 3 days and I am still trying to decide. Do you notice that the reception is not good on your Vista Cx or is it fine?

The reception is going to be the same, but for $100 + difference in price, I would get the Venture Cx. You probably already have the USB cable for a camera or other GPSr. Then you need to buy the data card, but you should be able to get a 1 GB for less than $15.00 on Amazon.

The compass is nice on my Vista C, but not $100 + nice. Get a $10.00 compass to put in your pack, if you think you'll need one. :anitongue:

If you're happy with the reception you get from a Legend C, then Miragee is absolutely right, you'll get most bang per buck with the Venture Cx. But to me it appears that Garmin are recognising there is a reception issue with the etrex colour series, by releasing the 'H' series.

Maybe you could pick up a second-hand Legend C off eBay for your immediate needs, so that you could take a bit more time to assess the new 'H' units when they come out? You could just sell the Legend C again when it comes to make your new purchase.

I do not have the money to go and buy a temp one for now until the new "H" series come out. But I am still going to wait until they come out. The trip which I was going on is postponed due to flooding in Canmore, Alberta. It is now scheduled for the end of August. So (crossing my fingers) hopfully the "H" series will come out at the beginning of August. Anyways I called Lebaron and got them to take the Vista Cx off hold and they said it is well worth the wait for the Vista HCx for $10 more dollars than the Vista Cx because of the High Sensitivity Receiver.