Benchmark Hunting

Jedi Cacher

I found 6 benchmarks today and had allot of fun doing it. It is a great change of pace from hunting cache containers. :) I will be on the lookout for more.

I do have one question to the veteran cachers. When looking for caches I noticed that there were benchmarks near some of the caches I had already found, but didn't realize there were benchmarks in the area on the first visit. The only reason I found these today is because I happened to be looking for the ones closest to my work. Is there a way when I am looking for caches on the website that I can bring up the benchmarks in the area too. I am also thinking about becoming a premium member now if that will help load and seek more information.

Hi, Jedi Catcher:

Welcome to the Benchmark portion of the website, and congratulations on your first six finds!

Yes, there is an easy method for cross-indexing the benchmarks with caches. Simply look toward the center of the cache page for a link called "Nearest Benchmarks". Click it, and it will produce a list of benchmarks, starting with the closest mark, and then spiraling outward for several miles.

If there is a way to automate the process, I'm certain someone will post it. Meanwhile, give this simple technique a try for this weekend's expeditions!

-Paul-

Welcome to the world of Benchmark hunting.

On any cache page, scroll down till you see the YaHoo map on the right. On the left, you will see this...

Find...

...other caches hidden or found by this user

...nearby caches of this type, that I haven't found

...all nearby caches, that I haven't found

...all nearby waymarks on Waymarking.com

...all nearby benchmarks

For online maps...

Look under *Find* and at the bottom just above the *For online maps* is *...all nearby benchmarks*. That is what you click on to find a list of all the benchmarks close to that cache and the directions, as in this link...

This list is close to one of our caches - Hoo Doo's.

Hope this is what you were looking for. Good hunting!

Shirley~

Thanks so much for the information, it was allot of help. I never even knew about these other cool features on the cache page. Now when I go in search of a cache I will always check out the benchmark feature. Today though was one of those days where I just felt like hunting benchmarks and had a really good time. :)

I also checked out the Waymarking feature for the first time. I noticed that there aren't many log ins for this site. How different is the GC site compared to Waymarking?

Jedi Cacher -

There have been a zillion posts on what is the difference between geocaching and Waymarking. Some curious, some angry. And then benchmark hunting is a third sort of thing. :)

Basically (my perspective) geocaching is a game of hide and seek (people hide stuff and other people look for it. Waymarking is another type of game that involves collecting locations (coordinates) and pictures of stuff (stuff that is not hidden at all, like waterfalls or barbecue restaurants). Benchmark hunting is a third kind of game. It has representation on both the geocaching site and the Waymarking site. On the geocaching side, benchmark hunting is a rather technical game involving a fair amount of technical knowledge and techniques to do it well. On the Waymarking side, it is rather less serious in that you aren't always following technical directions to find the benchmark, but instead are finding them partly by luck and partly by knowledge, experience, and diligence.

Try them all to see what you like! :)

Benchmark hunting on the geocaching side has the additional rather serious aspect of using it to get your experience level up to a point that you feel confident about reporting your find results to the NGS.

Waymarking.com provides a means for logging your benchmark finds which are not in the geocaching.com/mark database.

And for me, it gives me a way to post interesting things I find, so I can share them with friends and family members. I use a free on-line service (tinyURL.com) to create abbreviated links.

Sample: http://tinyURL.com/2899ou

-Paul-

Waymarking.com provides a means for logging your benchmark finds which are not in the geocaching.com/mark database.

And for me, it gives me a way to post interesting things I find, so I can share them with friends and family members. I use a free on-line service (tinyURL.com) to create abbreviated links.

Sample: http://tinyURL.com/2899ou

-Paul-

Thanks Paul. I will do some more exploring on this site. I live in an area that has allot of tourist traffic due to Mt.Rushmore. I noticed on the Waymarking site, there is allot of great tourist destinations with interesting information that would be very beneficial to the traveling tourist.

Warning!! - Shameless Plug Ahead

I am in development of a web site that displays benchmarks near to you in a Google Maps Application. Simply select your state, and input the zip code/city you live in to view benchmarks in your area. Its kind of a visual representation of doing the nearest benchmarks link on geocaching.com.

http://benchmarks.scaredycatfilms.com/index.html

I'm always looking for new users and input.

I am in development of a web site that displays benchmarks near to you in a Google Maps Application. Simply select your state, and input the zip code/city you live in to view benchmarks in your area. Its kind of a visual representation of doing the nearest benchmarks link on geocaching.com.

monkeykat:

That is so cool! So why am I writing tiny numbers & arrows on highway maps to plan searches when you've done all the work already? Great work!

Suppose there's a way to have the location icons list the PIDs automatically - i.e., instead of clicking individual icons - so a printed version shows roads & road names/icons/PIDs ?

Great site! :anitongue: What an easy way to view and seek out benchmarks in a map format with a link to GC.

Thanks for the info! :P

Jedi Cacher, I use GSAK and load caches and benchmarks into the same file on my eXplorist 600. I also use the filter to create files with the BM's on a route, usually set for 1/2 mile to either side of the railroad tracks I'll be working on. Hope that will help.

Jedi Cacher, I use GSAK and load caches and benchmarks into the same file on my eXplorist 600. I also use the filter to create files with the BM's on a route, usually set for 1/2 mile to either side of the railroad tracks I'll be working on. Hope that will help.

Thanks, I will give it a try! With the high cost of fuel, I hate to go out on a caching expedition only to return home and find out about all of the benchmarks I could have checked out in the area. I have done that a few times already in my newbie caching status. You live and you learn! :smile: