2007 Jeep Geocaching Challenge

Bryan

I received one in the mail today. It is "East Fork Pistol River (OR)", a long ways from MA.

I actually delivered one to a customer on my mail route on Monday. I checked the mailbox each day when I got home, and had just about given up, and then there it was ;) . Looking forward to finding a new home for it soon.

Edited by WN1E

Well, it's 1:17am EST here and the Jeep Challenge info hasn't posted yet. I don't know if I can stay up another 43 minutes to find out the details of the challenge if it post for Mountain time. And I definitely can't stay up long enough until it updates for pacific time, so I'm off to bed. Can't wait until tomorrow morning to find out the details fo the challenge!!!

Well, it's 1:17am EST here and the Jeep Challenge info hasn't posted yet. I don't know if I can stay up another 43 minutes to find out the details of the challenge if it post for Mountain time. And I definitely can't stay up long enough until it updates for pacific time, so I'm off to bed. Can't wait until tomorrow morning to find out the details fo the challenge!!!

Umm, it'll be up tomorrow (Saturday) night, if I understood the post correctly. The contest begins July 1 (Sunday).

despite being left out of the contest as a hawaii resident, i managed a work around and recieved my red jeep travel bug today. I will be taking it to Honolulu so it can attend our protest event on July 8 "no jeeps allowed" it will be sent on its way very soon......but it will start out in hawaii ....

BTW does any one have a jeep named from a river in hawaii? just kinda curious...as we only have i think one river here.....lots of streams but no real rivers....the one i know of is on kauai.

despite being left out of the contest as a hawaii resident, i managed a work around and recieved my red jeep travel bug today. I will be taking it to Honolulu so it can attend our protest event on July 8 "no jeeps allowed" it will be sent on its way very soon......but it will start out in hawaii ....

BTW does any one have a jeep named from a river in hawaii? just kinda curious...as we only have i think one river here.....lots of streams but no real rivers....the one i know of is on kauai.

There are actually 17. If you do a bug search for river (HI) you will see them listed

I updated the site so it automagically goes live on midnight Saturday Eastern Time ;)

Cool! That's only 9:00 here! I won't even have to stay up past my bedtime!

TY for the info Family DNA, I didn't see Jeremy's post until this morning about the time/date for the updated site. Must have missed it late last night. But ty

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on the hawaiian river search, i was quite surprised to see 17 rivers listed. after i did the search i see that most of the rivers listed are dry 90% of the time. while they may have river as part of their name i think only two or three of them run year round. the USGS stream flow website only list three rivers......that flow regularly.... the rest are streams, ditches and gulches.

there are plenty dry rivers here that only flow after a heavy rain.

Hanalei river in kauai is the states only navigable river

Edited by escondido100

Hmmm, somebody didn't do a thorough job of altering last year's rules! :laughing:

How to Play:

Check back here each month to find out what goal has been established for the Jeep 4x4 Geocaching Challenge for that month!

Once you find a participating Red Rock Crystal Pearl Jeep Commander Travel Bug, write down the tracking number that is stamped on the metal tag.

Take a photo of your travel bug with the goal for the monthly contest in the photo.

Visit http://geocaching.com to create a user account

Visit http://jeep.geocaching.com and enter in the tracking number to visit the web page for the green Jeep Travel Bug you found

Upload the photo to the green Jeep Travel Bug’s page to submit your entry.

NOTE: If the Red Rock Crystal Pearl Jeep Commander Travel Bug is not in the cache when you arrive, take a picture of your GPS unit showing the coordinates of the cache and take a SECOND picture completing the monthly goals to enter. Then visit http:/jeep.geocaching.com, visit the listing for the cache page that the green Travel Bug was not in, link to the Travel Bug page and submit your entry.

We have some answers sort of...

1. Eligibility: The Jeep Geocaching 2007 Sweepstakes (“Sweepstakes” or “Promotion”) is offered in and open only to legal residents of the 48 contiguous United States and District of Columbia (“U.S.”) age 18 and older who have a valid driver’s license. Employees, officers, and directors of DaimlerChrysler Motors Company LLC (“Sponsor”), Rodale Inc., Alcone Marketing Group, BBDO Detroit, Groundspeak Inc., Jeep® dealers, and each of their respective parents, affiliates and subsidiaries, advertising, promotion and fulfillment agencies, web masters and web suppliers, and the immediate family members (spouse, parents, siblings and children and their spouses and in-laws ) and persons living in the same household of such individuals are not eligible. Void in AK, HI, and where prohibited.

The last sentence specifically excludes Alaska and Hawaii.

5. Prize/Odds: (1) Grand Prize: 2008 Jeep Liberty. Estimated MSRP: $29,000. Vehicle will be delivered with standard equipment for make and model; available upgrades and options are at the sole expense of the winner. Winner will be required to show proof of current insurance and current valid driver’s license at time of prize acceptance and pick-up. Registration, title, licensing fees, taxes, insurance and costs associated with the vehicle, are solely the responsibility of the winner. Vehicle will be delivered at a dealership selected by Sponsor near winner’s residence. Winner must pick up vehicle within 45 days of notification that vehicle is available, or prize may be forfeited, and an alternate winner selected. Winner does not have choice of vehicle color and actual prize vehicle may differ from that shown in advertisements. Taxes and expenses not stated related to acceptance and use of prize are solely the responsibility of the winner. An IRS Form 1099 for the fair market value of the prize will be filed and a copy provided to winner. Any difference between the stated and actual value of prize will not be awarded. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.

Notice that “…costs associated with the vehicle, are solely the responsibility of the winner.” Then it goes on to say “Vehicle will be delivered at a dealership selected by Sponsor near winner’s residence.” Which implies shipping will be provided by the sponsor.

And the sponsor is….

Sponsor: DaimlerChrysler Motors Company LLC, 1000 Chrysler Drive, Auburn Hills, MI 48326-2766.

So all those that wish to protest there is the address to write to.

To Enter the Photo Contest (Entry requires participation in the Geocaching Experience as described below):

1. You must visit a Red Travel Bug listing page on Geocaching.com by following the instructions in either (a) or (b ) below:

(a) Locate a Red Travel Bug in a geocache and enter the Travel Bug unique tracking number in the field provided at http://jeep.geocaching.com. Once you click the submit button, you will be directed to the Travel Bug listing page for that Red Travel Bug.

(b ) Visit a geocaching.com cache listing page for a cache which indicates that a Red Travel Bug is reported to be at the cache location. Click on the Red Travel Bug link on the cache listing page to visit the Travel Bug listing page for that Red Travel Bug.

Does this mean that I cannot enter the contest with the Jeep I received in the mail? Or just that I have to drop it into a cache, and retrieve it first? Or didn't they think of this?

To Enter the Photo Contest (Entry requires participation in the Geocaching Experience as described below):

1. You must visit a Red Travel Bug listing page on Geocaching.com by following the instructions in either (a) or (b ) below:

(a) Locate a Red Travel Bug in a geocache and enter the Travel Bug unique tracking number in the field provided at http://jeep.geocaching.com. Once you click the submit button, you will be directed to the Travel Bug listing page for that Red Travel Bug.

(b ) Visit a geocaching.com cache listing page for a cache which indicates that a Red Travel Bug is reported to be at the cache location. Click on the Red Travel Bug link on the cache listing page to visit the Travel Bug listing page for that Red Travel Bug.

Does this mean that I cannot enter the contest with the Jeep I received in the mail? Or just that I have to drop it into a cache, and retrieve it first? Or didn't they think of this?

I think it would work either way. I'm guessing if you post your photo when you drop it in a cache, that would enter you into the contest.

No...I dont think the tag number has to be seen in the picture. If that were the case, people would be able to log that jeep,by using the number !

I realize that.... what I was asking was can I take the tag and chain off the jeep completely to take the pictures, or does some evidence (the chain, back of the tag, etc.) need to be in the picture also?

So it appears the only reason that Hawaii and Alaska are voided from playing is the possibility of extra shipping to those destinations. Bummer.

We have two of the 2007 JEEP TBs here for the "No Jeeps Allowed" Event.

Just a light-hearted protest and to have our voices heard.

I'm gonna try to recap this for my own interpretation and anyone else that feels contest impaired :) I go find a Jeep TB, take a picture of the TB while reflecting an "American Heritage" theme, post the photo w/ the log, and the photos are voted upon to see who wins. Sorry, I know this in not difficult.

Another question:

For example, if I take a picture with a red jeep I currently have, but it is more relevant to a later monthly theme, can I hold that picture until that month? Or, do I have to have the jeep in posession for that particular month's photo theme?

For example, I currently have a red jeep. One of the photos I took fits the December theme "Your Adventure Starts Here." Rather than take a different picture with the jeep for this month's theme, can I just submit a picture in December for this TB? Or, do I have to have a red jeep TB in my posession that month that I submit the photo? (Would it look strange submitting a photo in December for a particular red jeep TB that I held briefly in July?)

Does anybody know?

So it appears the only reason that Hawaii and Alaska are voided from playing is the possibility of extra shipping to those destinations. Bummer.

We have two of the 2007 JEEP TBs here for the "No Jeeps Allowed" Event.

Just a light-hearted protest and to have our voices heard.

We just had a Terrific night together at the "No Jeeps Allowed - Hawaii" Multi-Event, discussing the wrong of not including us in the contest and enjoying each other. Please check it out folks! The Logs, cache page and log photos tell the story. GC13PKK and many more logs are to come. We had 2 official 2007 JEEP TB's in attendance too! HaHa!

I'm a little confused and not sure I entered the contest correctly.

I uploaded a photo on the jeep travel bug page and registered with jeep.com. Is that all I need to do?

The contest rules state that the pic can be as large as 4MB. Yet the upload page only allows for 125kb and 600px wide. ??

Edited by Kyndrid

Non U.S. residents - That's a good one considering that U.S. Residents living in Alaska and Hawaii can't get one!!!

There are probably more Jeeps in Alaska than any 2 states combined!!!

So what is the REAL story about why Alaskan's and Hawaiian's are excluded??????

Well...Alaska is BIGGER than any other 2 states combined. Makes sense.