2007 Jeep Geocaching Challenge

Bryan

Maybe this has something to do with it. The following is based on geocachers with 200 plus finds (approx):

Alaska: 70; Hawaii 41.

Okay, common sense. States with a smaller population and a smaller land area tend to produce less cachers and caches. I wouldn't expect Hawaii to get the same number of Jeep Travel Bugs as, for example, a state as large as California. But I would expect Hawaii to get a few Jeep Travel Bugs. Which, based on my experience with Travel Bugs in Hawaii, will be promptly picked up by a vacationing geocacher and taken to another state before any locals get a change to see it anyways.

Your Target Audience (a geocacher) is a smaller number in these two states, spread out over a large area (AK), it would cost more to ship there ($$$), and there may or may not be some legal issues to deal with (HI). You also may consider that you are trying to promote your product to the most people possible at one time and still remain a good relationship with Groundspeak and only you are privy to the information on whether or not the past 3 years of jeeps have had any improved impact on sales.

It is expensive to send things to Hawaii and Alaska is old a very outdated thinking. It isn't any more expensive to ship something from the West Coast of the US to Hawaii than it is to ship something from Coast to Coast in the continental US. And yes there are Jeep dealerships in Hawaii.

Florida used to be on the no-Jeep TBs list and has since been removed. So there is hope for the last two States. I don't really get why Jeep TBs can't start in any State. It isn't like they aren't meant to travel.

you'd think people in hawaii would be happy that they lived in hawaii, and not whine about not getting a 30 cent toy car mailed to them.

I'd happily give up every tiny toy car for the rest of my life if I lived somewhere that was a tropical paradise.

Wow, that puts things in a whole new perspective for me. I was happy, thinking that I might get a jeep in the mail soon and wondering about where to set it free, and then, wham, you had to go and say that...

Now I'm envious of people who live in Hawaii. ;)

those are good points... the other backside is the negative publicity generated among that same group of cachers. this year especiallly...and the trickle down effect of friends and family talking about it. the "no jeeps allowed" event scheduled for july 7th should be well attended..... the oahu cachers are working on media coverage.....since the lack of contest participation has affected the population statewide. people are aware of being slighted in this way...... a big name like jeep may get some print here to focus on the situation. so if it does get some print the negative publicity will be expanded to include the circulation of one of the two major media outlets here as a human interest story......

probably will make little difference but i think that the negative will out weigh the positive after 4 years of this for jeep.

In which case, Jeep decides to stop doing the promotion in 2008, there is no contest, no one gets jeeps including Alaska and Hawaii (still!) but at least no one feels excluded anymore?

;)

I don't see this being a possibility but if it does.. thanks in advance for your support. All or nothing... right? <ducking>

you'd think people in hawaii would be happy that they lived in hawaii, and not whine about not getting a 30 cent toy car mailed to them.

I'd happily give up every tiny toy car for the rest of my life if I lived somewhere that was a tropical paradise.

You know, this is a valid point. I did a cache this morning that people pay thousands of dollars to come see and it is ten minutes away from my house. But there's a darkside to paradise that we hope that you will have a little sympathy for. I wish I had a nickel for every visitor who was here and said "well back in the United States it is this way" I heard this a thousand times if I've heard it once. This is people's perception.

It's really not just this contest, we are like the perpetual afterthought when it comes to a lot of things and a lot companies and people have trouble including Hawaii and Alaska in many things you just take for granted. Ever buy anything on Amazon.com and get free shipping? Not if you live here. This list is so long that I won't take the time to bore you with it. Trust me, it just gets old sometimes being the 50th state. You will always be last no matter how hard you try not to be.

Realistically, we know we are not going to change much or anything with all this and it is really all just in fun. It serves as a reason for us to get together, have some dinner and drinks and then take out our frustrations in a unified direction. It's human nature, people like to share the pinata.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

PS: I'd also like to thank the lower 48 for their patience while we discuss this matter.

Don't forget the good folks in Guam, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, etc too.

Maybe this has something to do with it. The following is based on geocachers with 200 plus finds (approx):

Alaska: 70; Hawaii 41.

So you are the Red Jeep Promotion Guy this year and you are thinking about AK & HI. Maybe this is what goes through your head. I don't know for sure, because I'm not the Red Jeep Promotion Guy otherwise I'd rename myself the Black (or Blue) Jeep Promotions Guy. I'm just guessing here about the thought process of HI & AK. Your Target Audience (a geocacher) is a smaller number in these two states, spread out over a large area (AK), it would cost more to ship there ($$$), and there may or may not be some legal issues to deal with (HI). You also may consider that you are trying to promote your product to the most people possible at one time and still remain a good relationship with Groundspeak and only you are privy to the information on whether or not the past 3 years of jeeps have had any improved impact on sales.

So what do you do? Send it to the 48 <b>Contiguous</b> states knowing that that is where your core target audience is located, that it is legal, that it is cheaper, AND you know that eventually your advertising gimmick will eventually travel outside of those states, into other states, territiories, provinces, and countries giving you "added advertising" and perhaps an added backsale boost later on in the year both domestic and foreign. It's cheaper, it's legal, perhaps practical from your standing, you still get a good bang for your buck, and above all else, your boss is probably happy.

Well, since Hawaii is more populated than Rhode Island, Montana, Delaware, South Dakota, North Dakota, Vermont, and Wyoming, this theory doesn't hold water.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

I got mine today too!!!!!! Whoohoo!!! This is only the second one I have ever seen. I did have a green one last fall and submitted a picture for the contest but heard nothing. That was the only one within 100 miles of me that I am aware of. Maybe this one will stay local for awhile? ;) Now I want to create a new cache to put it in but what and where is the dilema?

I got mine today too!!!!!! Whoohoo!!! This is only the second one I have ever seen. I did have a green one last fall and submitted a picture for the contest but heard nothing. That was the only one within 100 miles of me that I am aware of. Maybe this one will stay local for awhile? :D Now I want to create a new cache to put it in but what and where is the dilema?

At least you have seen a real Green Jeep TB. I've seen a total of 1 Yellow Jeep TB, 3 White Jeep TBs, no real Green Jeep TBs, although I've seen 1 Green FEEP TB.

W00T! GO LITTLE RED JEEP TBs. Be free and travel the WORLD!

I got a Red Jeep TB today, too. The only problem is that it's unactivated and they didn't send me an activation code. I remember the Green Jeep TBs were already activated when they went out and you just had to "grab" it when it came in the mail.

Anyone know what I should do now?

I got a Red Jeep TB today, too. The only problem is that it's unactivated and they didn't send me an activation code. I remember the Green Jeep TBs were already activated when they went out and you just had to "grab" it when it came in the mail.

I'm sure that Jeep and/or GC.com will mass activate them prior to the 1st.

Does beg another question.....

Should they be placed in caches now or hold on to them until the 1st????

Hmm. This year it is the same, they should already be activated. Perhaps they won't be activated until July 1? Wait until you see more people post, and see if theirs are already activated or not.

BTW, how did it arrive? Regular US mail, or what?

Hmm. This year it is the same, they should already be activated. Perhaps they won't be activated until July 1? Wait until you see more people post, and see if theirs are already activated or not.

BTW, how did it arrive? Regular US mail, or what?

It came regular USPS in a padded envelope. No paperwork or anything else.

I got my Jeep Travel Bug today!!! Kinda hate to send it off. But I will very soon. :D

are you the first? first I've seen.

I don't know about the first. But the first to post. I'm excited!! :D

Snif. Can you post a pic?

Well, I tried, Can't figure out how to post a pic? :D Do you know??

Allow me...

dea83e06-6f2f-4984-a9a9-64a48789deb6.jpg

(Pulled from your profile, DP - let me know if you do not want it posted here)

I got mine today as well. I saved the activation instructions but they don't seem to be working. I figure they will wait a few days to make sure most of them are received before you can log them into your inventory. Here is what I have.

Thanks for requesting a 2007 Jeep® Geocaching Challenge Travel Bug®!

Although we can't guarantee a Travel Bug due to limited quantities we'll do our best to send them to as many people as we can.

Make sure to print out the instructions below:

Q: How do I activate the Travel Bug?

A: If you search for your Tracking Number (the six digit number on the dog tag), you will find that it has already been activated.

Q: How do I get the Travel Bug into my inventory?

A: Follow these simple steps and you will be all set!

In the field type the Tracking Number and click the Lookup button.

In the top right corner of the resulting page, click the link in the Trackable Item Options box called Add a log entry.

From the Type of log drop-down select "Grab it from somewhere else".

Enter any optional comments you wish and click the Submit log entry button.

You are now ready to place the Travel Bug into the cache of your choice!

In which case, Jeep decides to stop doing the promotion in 2008, there is no contest, no one gets jeeps including Alaska and Hawaii (still!) but at least no one feels excluded anymore?

:D

That is a possibility, but I would hope the contest promoters are more mature than that. All we are asking at this point is for an explanation as to why we are excluded. If they can provide a good explanation then we would quit our protest.

So far the only reasons brought up for excluding us are the gambling laws (which we have proven to be NOT the case) and shipping. One of our residents has gone on record to say he would gladly take delivery of his new Jeep on the west coast and gladly pay the $1000 shipping fee, and gladly pay all the local taxes. I think most of us feel the same way.

I expect the official rules to have language in it to make the winner responsible for the local taxes anyway, and it may make the winner responsible for shipping as well. If the winner is responsible for the shipping then where is the problem?

It would not surprise me to find out that somewhere out there is a “Contest Promoter’s Handbook”, and the handbook says it is normal to exclude Alaska and Hawaii. If it gives a reason that reason may be outdated.

Ok, I read the last post and thought I would try again and this time I got it so it looks like they are ready to go. Now where to place it, hope to place a new cache and make it a FTF grab for someone.

Yep, same here. Tried it again and it's activated. Cool!

Just got mine in the mail... padded envelope, but it tried to drive out before I could get it! (The envelope was rather torn and shredded at the jeep end.)

Now... does anyone know anything about the contests this year? I don't really want to put it out until I know about any photography contests.

The problem with living in Hawaii is it’s just like winning the lottery. Everybody you ever knew including the bully that beat you up in school and took your lunch money (aww, I was just having fun) becomes your best friend and wants to come stay with you for a month or two. :D

That and you are excluded from all the contests. :D

I got mine today too!!!!!! Whoohoo!!! This is only the second one I have ever seen. I did have a green one last fall and submitted a picture for the contest but heard nothing. That was the only one within 100 miles of me that I am aware of. Maybe this one will stay local for awhile? :D Now I want to create a new cache to put it in but what and where is the dilema?

At least you have seen a real Green Jeep TB. I've seen a total of 1 Yellow Jeep TB, 3 White Jeep TBs, no real Green Jeep TBs, although I've seen 1 Green FEEP TB.

W00T! GO LITTLE RED JEEP TBs. Be free and travel the WORLD!

I'll gladly find and mail a green Jeep to you if you would like, there is one currently resting in a cache about five miles from here, unless someone beats me to it. Just say the word.

Was really hoping to see a Red Jeep when I got home, but nothing yet.

those are good points... the other backside is the negative publicity generated among that same group of cachers. this year especiallly...and the trickle down effect of friends and family talking about it. the "no jeeps allowed" event scheduled for july 7th should be well attended..... the oahu cachers are working on media coverage.....since the lack of contest participation has affected the population statewide. people are aware of being slighted in this way...... a big name like jeep may get some print here to focus on the situation. so if it does get some print the negative publicity will be expanded to include the circulation of one of the two major media outlets here as a human interest story......

probably will make little difference but i think that the negative will out weigh the positive after 4 years of this for jeep.

I don't see this being a possibility but if it does.. thanks in advance for your support. All or nothing... right? <ducking>

Kinda sure that's not what I meant. :D *swings anyway* Okay, the sarcastic mood has passed. I'm me again.

Kinda sure that's not what I meant. :D *swings anyway* Okay, the sarcastic mood has passed. I'm me again.

Will they still come tomorrow? I really wanted one. I am making a cache that has all my Jeeps in it and waiting to place it so the red one can be in ther too.

I think they'll continue to arrive for the next few days depending on postal service. Your cache idea sounds fun, but I hope you include a "one Jeep per cacher" limit to allow as many as possible to enjoy it.

Will they still come tomorrow? I really wanted one. I am making a cache that has all my Jeeps in it and waiting to place it so the red one can be in ther too.

I think they'll continue to arrive for the next few days depending on postal service. Your cache idea sounds fun, but I hope you include a "one Jeep per cacher" limit to allow as many as possible to enjoy it.

Thanks.

Edited by fishingdude720

I just got my RJTB today. No other instructions or anything.

I tried to search for it, but it appears that it's not activated yet.

Since I'm kinda new to releasing TBs, I had a question...

Do I create a personal cache to start this one off at that location, and then move it to a different cache?

I'm actually planning on traveling about 120 miles on July 1, so I'd like to get it going then. Also, does anyone know if drop & grabs are allowed? It would be even better if I did a drop and grab 120 miles away, and then let it ride back for the return trip.

Thanks,

Do I create a personal cache to start this one off at that location, and then move it to a different cache?

That is one way or if you are in a hurry go to the nearest cache to you and "dip and remove" it into that cache and then drop it in a cache along the way or at the end of the trip. That way the mileage will begin.

That is one way or if you are in a hurry go to the nearest cache to you and "dip and remove" it into that cache and then drop it in a cache along the way or at the end of the trip. That way the mileage will begin.

Place it in a cache and leave it for the next cacher that comes along. DO not hold them from cache to cache - allow them to be taken and moved.