2007 Jeep Geocaching Challenge

Bryan

For those of you who receive the weekly cache notification emailer from Groundspeak, you may have seen this announcement already. For those of you who don't, here it is:

The 2007 Jeep Geocaching Challenge begins on July 1st, 2007 in the USA. This year, it's a red die-cast Jeep Commander vehicle with a Travel Bug tag attached. As of today, we're enlisting geocachers to hide approximately 8,000 Jeep Travel Bugs in caches located in the lower 48 United States. If you are interested in placing a 2007 Jeep Travel Bug into a cache near you, please complete the request form, located here (while supplies last):

http://jeep.geocaching.com/signup/

Visit http://jeep.geocaching.com on July 1st for details about the 2007 Jeep Geocaching Challenge.

Groundspeak matches a Jeep Travel Bug to each account that requests it. That way we can make sure that the Travel Bugs are shipped to each account and it allows us to check back to make sure that the person drops it off into a cache (like the user agreed to).

They is Groundspeak. Everything *.geocaching.com is owned by Groundspeak.

Edited by Jeremy

Any pics of the new bugs somewhere??

We're still chopping up images for the new site. I'll post a link back to the request form when I add the photo there. It is a Red Jeep Commander this year.

Cool! I'll keep an eye on this thread for updates!

Why is it not possible for non U.S. residents to apply for one. :D

I would like to have one running in my part of Europe (Holland)

If anyone can help getting me one I would be most gratefull! :mad:

Because the nice people at Jeep USA Marketing, who pay for it, think it's probably a better use of their advertising dollars if the jeeps are released to and/or near people who might buy their product. :mad:

Once they're activated, don't worry, some will find their way across the pond to us.

Why is it not possible for non U.S. residents to apply for one. :D

If anyone can help getting me one I would be most gratefull! :mad:

Non U.S. residents - That's a good one considering that U.S. Residents living in Alaska and Hawaii can't get one!!!

There are probably more Jeeps in Alaska than any 2 states combined!!!

So what is the REAL story about why Alaskan's and Hawaiian's are excluded??????

Edited by scobey

Non U.S. residents - That's a good one considering that U.S. Residents living in Alaska and Hawaii can't get one!!!

Alaska's a state? When did that happen??? :)

(Okay, I'm old enough to remember when Alaska became a state. I do find humorous the phrase 'lower 48 states.' Hawaii is lower than most states. Perhaps they should have used the phrase 'conterminous 48 states'?)

Can't wait to put out a few Jeeps and watch them disappear less than a week after they are released.

Seriously, I have never owned one of these TB's, but I have noticed that they are the most stolen TB's out there, which is just sad. I have found one, moved it on, and I believe it was stolen very soon afterwards...

ALostTexan

Why is it not possible for non U.S. residents to apply for one. :)

If anyone can help getting me one I would be most gratefull! :)

This is just a guess, and kind of sad, but they (Jeep) probably figure it costs too much to ship to AK and HI (though it's not that much more, and if they us the US Postal Service instead of UPS, etc. it probably doesn't cost more at all). The company I work for used to run a mass marketing program for a Fortune 500 company, and the program excluded the two states for that reason. I thought it was pretty crass, especially since the program involved charities. :)

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

Usually marketing stuff that is restricted to the mainland U.S. has to do with "bang for the buck". The cost to get the product in question to the outerlying areas isn't usually justified in return on the investment due to the population (or lack thereof).

For the cost of marketing exposure to all 5 residents in Juneau you could get the same exposure to most of the residents of Massachusetts. Much more effective targeting. (Before you start, I'm fully aware there are more than 5 people in Juneau. There's 7.:))

In the case of this specific promotion, this wouldn't necessarily be a problem since there might be more cachers per capita in Alaska than in Massachusetts. Since the marketing company isn't normally set up for it, it was probably more costly to do it that way, so back to the lower 48.

We'll give up our ability to participate in sweepstakes and giveaways in exchange for your annual pipeline payout. Fair trade? :)

Edited by LaTuFu

Usually marketing stuff that is restricted to the mainland U.S. has to do with "bang for the buck". The cost to get the product in question to the outerlying areas isn't usually justified in return on the investment due to the population (or lack thereof).

For the cost of marketing exposure to all 5 residents in Juneau you could get the same exposure to most of the residents of Massachusetts. Much more effective targeting. (Before you start, I'm fully aware there are more than 5 people in Juneau. There's 7.:))

In the case of this specific promotion, this wouldn't necessarily be a problem since there might be more cachers per capita in Alaska than in Massachusetts. Since the marketing company isn't normally set up for it, it was probably more costly to do it that way, so back to the lower 48.

We'll give up our ability to participate in sweepstakes and giveaways in exchange for your annual pipeline payout. Fair trade? :)

I also have a feeling that due to the very rugged terrain, there are probably more Jeeps per capita in Alaska as well (maybe also Hawaii).

Why is it not possible for non U.S. residents to apply for one. :)

If anyone can help getting me one I would be most gratefull! :)

There are several old posts from past years regarding this topic. The answer is that Hawaii and Alaska have different laws regarding contests like this that prohibit the Jeep contest running in those two states. This is a gross generalization, of course, but that's the gist of it. A forum search will turn up a more precise answer.

I also have a feeling that due to the very rugged terrain, there are probably more Jeeps per capita in Alaska as well (maybe also Hawaii).

While it kinda stinks that Alaska & Hawaii are excluded from this promotion, I can understand the reasoning if the states don't allow such contests. Jeep could probably get into legal trouble if it appeared they were running a contest in a place it was outlawed.

That aside, my initial reaction to the above quotes is:

If Jeeps are already saturating the market, why advertise in that market?

:anitongue:

Just a reminder. Now would be a good time to start sending last years Green Jeep Travel Bugs to the second class citizen states of Hawaii and Alaska.

Is anyone planning a FEEP release of the Red Jeeps?

BTW: Why are people still using the term lower 48 states? That hasn't been an accurate term even since Hawaii join the USA and became the most southern (lowest) state in 1959.

Alaska's a state? When did that happen??? :anitongue:

(Okay, I'm old enough to remember when Alaska became a state. I do find humorous the phrase 'lower 48 states.' Hawaii is lower than most states. Perhaps they should have used the phrase 'conterminous 48 states'?)

Or the contiguous U.S. states. They probably don't ship to Alaska and Hawaii because the shipping charges are a little more epxensive to get to those 2 states than the, here's another one, continental U.S. states. But that's just my 2 cents and I'm not a postal worker, UPS employee, nor a Fedex employee and I don't have any true statistics to back that statement up. I'm basing it on the fact that whenever I ship something to Hawaii or Alaska it costs more than to ship to anywhere in the "lower 48". (I'm referring to Ebay experience.)

We made our request for the new Jeep TB yesterday. Last year we were able to get one and put it out. Didn't stay out that long. Some bone head in the OKC area has an issue with the Jeep TBs and they steal them from caches and keep them. Not too bright of a thief since they take them to other states and let other cachers discover them at events. I just don't get people like that..

Groundspeak matches a Jeep Travel Bug to each account that requests it. That way we can make sure that the Travel Bugs are shipped to each account and it allows us to check back to make sure that the person drops it off into a cache (like the user agreed to).

So.. lets say I am paranoid.

How long afterI submit for a jeep with my password can I change my password just to feel safe again?

How long afterI submit for a jeep with my password can I change my password just to feel safe again?

It is no different than logging in to the website. Your password is checked then. Do you change your password every time you log in? Change it now if it makes you feel safer. The check is done when you submit the request.

So you want to change your Groundspeak password because Groundspeak now knows what it is?

That's way beyond paranoia. :anitongue:

Why is it not possible for non U.S. residents to apply for one. :anitongue:

If anyone can help getting me one I would be most gratefull! :P

There are several old posts from past years regarding this topic. The answer is that Hawaii and Alaska have different laws regarding contests like this that prohibit the Jeep contest running in those two states. This is a gross generalization, of course, but that's the gist of it. A forum search will turn up a more precise answer.

I have never heard of this as a problem. There are many national promotions that include Alaska.

Alaska's a state? When did that happen??? :o

Or the contiguous U.S. states. They probably don't ship to Alaska and Hawaii because the shipping charges are a little more epxensive to get to those 2 states than the, here's another one, continental U.S. states. But that's just my 2 cents and I'm not a postal worker, UPS employee, nor a Fedex employee and I don't have any true statistics to back that statement up. I'm basing it on the fact that whenever I ship something to Hawaii or Alaska it costs more than to ship to anywhere in the "lower 48". (I'm referring to Ebay experience.)

Take the cost to ship a vehicle to California then add about $1000 and 3 weeks and you'll get what it costs to ship the vehicle to Hawaii. Then there has to be Jeep dealership nearby for the the Jeep to be shipped to. Some of the Hawaiian islands don't have Jeep dealerships. Besides Hawaii has very strict gambling laws.

What I don't understand is why aren't any of the Red Jeep Travel Bug going to start in Alaska or Hawaii. We know that residents of Alaska and Hawaii ineligible for any prises. But why deprive us of the Red Jeep Travel Bug too? If the worry is that the Reb Jeep Travel Bug will be out of play for too long I can tell you from first hand experience that starting a Travel Bug in Hawaii does not mean it will stay in Hawaii for very long. In fact I've found that the Travel Bugs I've started in Hawaii left the state much quicker than the Travel Bugs that I've started in California. I have a entire series of 'Haole' Travel Bugs who's goal is to stay in Hawaii and currently two of them are out of the state!