Bomb Scares

Rupert2

Here was a CITO event that took place where a real pipe bomb was found by a cacher in the group, bomb squad was called in, so beware there is always a chance of finding the real thing. Read through the logs for more info.

May not be worthy to be listed on your bookmarks but good to know info.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

Here is a small article about it, does don't say our groupe but does say it was found.

http://wewwild.blogspot.com/2007_04_01_archive.html

Edited by R & B Cache

Unfortunately the cache page is now gone. Heres our first cache story.

We had one in a clear plastic pipe tube with a non clear cap. It was hidden in our town centers cannon. When they removed the cannon to do maintenance they found it in the cannon and saw the cord we had attached to the cache to pull it out. Unfortunately the worker thought it was a live round until one of the other shop members realized it was a geocache.

Unfortunately the cache page is now gone. Heres our first cache story.

We had one in a clear plastic pipe tube with a non clear cap. It was hidden in our town centers cannon. When they removed the cannon to do maintenance they found it in the cannon and saw the cord we had attached to the cache to pull it out. Unfortunately the worker thought it was a live round until one of the other shop members realized it was a geocache.

This one can be found at: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a7-7959e9e55984

Thanks for both of those great (and very unique) stories. I have added both to list.

This one GC104FG was reported to the police by employees at a business across the street. The police officer who found it went out of his way to create a gc.com account and posted this cryptic note:

" have inadvertently muggled your container. In order to regain possession follow these instructions: It is still alongside of Route 8 in Seymour resting inside a building which sits alongside half of a famous inventor. Your journey will end at the number301!"

"half of a famous inventor" = the police station is on Franklin Street alongside Route 8.

"Your journey will end 301" = room 301 apparently was the room in the station where the confiscated cache was stored.

It was interesting to see that the LEO did enough research to create an account and used the expression "muggled"

Here's the complete story from the CT Forum and another one here

"We visited the PD today, and it was a very positive experience! icon_biggrin.gif

The officer who emailed me explained that people who work at the business across the street had been seeing people get out of their cars, grab the container and go back to the car, then return the container a few minutes later. Eventually they became suspicious, so they grabbed the container and dropped it off at the police station. Sadly, the officer said that this particular park and ride has a history of drug activity. icon_sad.gif

Upon opening the container and seeing the contents and log sheet/info, he quickly realized that this was some sort of gamepiece. He logged onto GC.com, figured out which cache it must have been, created an account and emailed me, not wanting to just throw away the container. He also spoke to some of his fellow officers about Geocaching, and it turns out that a couple of them were familiar with it. Including, interestingly enough, the same officer that RJ Ferret I ran into one night while caching in French Park. That officer was very cool as well, and once he realized that we weren't up to no good he wished us good luck and allowed us to continue the search. icon_smile.gif

I explained the reason why my initial response to his found it log was a rather curt email to him that basically said, " Saw your log on our Bye Bye Birdie cache, and was hoping that you could simply replace the container where you found it. Thanks-"

Sometimes the so-called cache pirates grab caches and hide them elsewhere, taunting the owners by making them come find their own cache. Turns out he was just trying to play along, by giving clues to where the container was.

The officer was surprised as to how world wide the game really is, seemed pretty into it and at no time was I repremanded or anything like that.

He went into the back and brought us the container, along with a couple of Junior Officer badges for Ben and James. icon_cool.gif We presented him with a brand new GC.com t-shirt, and told him that we hope he decides to join us and play along, 'ya know, since he already has an account and everything. icon_wink.gif I really do hope he does join us, as he was really cool and down to earth, and the overall feeling of the dept. when it comes to Geocaching IMO seems positive.

Also, I told the officer that considering the activity that goes on at that park and ride, I will archive the cache and not replace the container.

We all shook hands and then we headed home after posting bail. (Just kidding)"

Edited by cliff_hanger