deaf awareness geocoin

deafnut

I, too, like the way this coin is developing. I also agree with webscouter, if that is good structure for "deaf english", then keep the wording the way it is. I've only known a couple of deaf people. One was my childhood friend's older brother, Baron. Deaf since birth, he was VERY hard to understand. The sounds he made were quite different from the sounds hearing people make. And it was incredibly frustrating for him to try to communicate. I had no clue the grammar was also different. I have been enlightened by these threads, and I will be in for a couple of these coins.

If I could afford one, I would buy one. My stepmother and brother are deaf and our son was hearing impaired for over 3 years. He still has a lot of the "traits" that hearing impaired children have and is having to catch up with his verbalizations.

and no, he doesn't have a cochlear implant. He had plugged up ears. We think it was from an infection in his ear canals and the plugs happened in order to save his hearing.

Just a thought which may have been mentioned. How bout ASL on one side and Braille on the other side with a "bridging the communication gap" message incorporated. To reduce the expense even a non-trackable would suffice and I would be very interested in obtaining his coin. Also, considering theis is a raise awareness coin I would dispense with the ASL sentence structure and address the target audience.....the hearing .....in a way that is clearly understood so they get the message.

hi this is daniel meek and want to say for your son . i been bron deaf and grew and i been wear hear aid all my life now about cochlear implant i refues becaue two reson one i might not like it and have to accpet it and two you might get headache because of the inficuos(spelling error) so please ask him when age and time is right like my father ask him and make you you buy move caaled (deaf thourgh eye) it cost 19.95 it new movie so please watch it and it will help you understand more about hour culture ! this message for mamid so mamid please read and snile because you will see how much better if he go deaf school trust me he will get lost and shy after few year his lauguges and his life will belong to deaf world and if you want to know more please email me i will explain to you more :anitongue:

trackable is better people who move might want to see where it go and itmight go to other counrty .

please read other message i want all people to read i will chose trackabale .

Just a thought which may have been mentioned. How bout ASL on one side and Braille on the other side with a "bridging the communication gap" message incorporated. To reduce the expense even a non-trackable would suffice and I would be very interested in obtaining his coin. Also, considering theis is a raise awareness coin I would dispense with the ASL sentence structure and address the target audience.....the hearing .....in a way that is clearly understood so they get the message.

Hello i will chose travelable because other country still think disable ( deaf ) is lowest mind of all and look down . one of my old friend and his wife travel one country and how funny when he meet someone all student deaf and that men don"t know how to sign but teach those kid howw to speak vevn it say deaf school it the frist deaf school and he did not know how to sign anway.... both came in and both sgibn to each other one teacher got mad because many kid saw sgin and (laugh) it cool and these kid were sign to each other and one friend can speak and have ba and male and other friend she have ma and she female and that male who have ba can speak and talk with them and teacher ask what his levl of collage and he told him and he tol him what his wife levl . ( he so so so coufuse by he can speak but have ba and she got ma and cannot speak ) he upset so you see other country think deaf is dumb and mute. like here in america think that in past but now I want to say you have been in abe licon (spelling Error) status notice anything about him look close see ( A) on his left and (L) on his right that status was create by deaf man :anitongue:

can add more color ?

I have added a little to the front artwork I posted before, and here is some artwork for the back.

The quote from the front and the idea for the back text came from the website deafhunt quoted in his first post.

deafgeocaching11copy.jpg

deafcoinbackcopy.jpg

I would dispense with the use of any deaf grammer text on the coin for this reason: This coin is being pitched as a raise awareness coin and while the deaf may understand the grammer perfectly they are not the target audience of this coin as they are already aware are they not. For the hearing on the other hand, deaf grammer can be tedious and difficult to wade through so IMHO I think whatever text -if any- that might be used should be geared toward the target audience (the hearing) grammatically so the hearing will easily understand and accept the coins awareness message.

I also have seen that Lincoln's hands/fingers on the statue at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC form an "A" and an "L".

I still don't understand, though, deafhunt. You read and you must have gotten an education from somewhere. So you know what standard English looks like. (Lord know the English language as it is used today is whack enough...)

Why sabotage your message with misspellings and grammar that is so ... wrong .. that the hearing community has to struggle for your meaning? Is this some sort of political statement?I see you advocate "the deaf belong to the deaf community".

Edited by ATMouse

Very good points: bridging the communication gap, and keep the target audience in mind.

Edited by MommyFinder

deafgeocaching11copy.jpg

deafcoinbackcopy.jpg

I did the design in black and white, but you can absolutely add more color to it. I think the signing hands on the front would look good in 3-D. The black background could be done in any color, and so could the text on the front and back of the coin.

When you are ready to mint the coin, the company that you are working with will take your design and create mint artwork that will be used to create the die that actually makes the coins. The mint artwork will show different colors that you may want to use, textures, or 3-D areas on the coin. Once you have a final design, and have approved mint artwork, you can order samples of your coin from the mint. This allows you to experiment using different metals and finishes and different colors so you see how they look and choose what you like best for the full production of the coin.

hi this is daniel meek and want to say for your son . i been bron deaf and grew and i been wear hear aid all my life now about cochlear implant i refues becaue two reson one i might not like it and have to accpet it and two you might get headache because of the inficuos(spelling error) so please ask him when age and time is right like my father ask him and make you you buy move caaled (deaf thourgh eye) it cost 19.95 it new movie so please watch it and it will help you understand more about hour culture ! this message for mamid so mamid please read and snile because you will see how much better if he go deaf school trust me he will get lost and shy after few year his lauguges and his life will belong to deaf world and if you want to know more please email me i will explain to you more :smile:

My son does not have a cochlear implant. He had wax plugs from an infection in his ear that blocked his hearing for over 3 years. His surgery was 3 months ago. He's almost 5 now and the last time his hearing was tested, it was normal again.

I wouldn't go for a cochlear anyway. My stepmom would kill me if I did.

I would buy a couple of this coin.

My daughter has autism and does not speak; she only

uses (limited) ASL.

Written English is standard whether you use ASL as

your primary mode of communication or not. It is

much harder -- like learning a second language -- for

deaf people to learn the contextual rules of standard

written English, so give him a break.

Good luck!

T

You can count me in to buy these coins as I truely believe this is a good cause. Being in Alaska I honestly don't know alot of deaf people but even if say 5% of the Deaf Population Geocaches in the US do you really think its that small of a number?

A Brief Summary of Estimates for the Size of the Deaf Population

in the USA Based on Available Federal Data and Published Research:

About 2 to 4 of every 1,000 people in the United States are "functionally deaf," though more than half became deaf relatively late in life; fewer than 1 out of every 1,000 people in the United States became deaf before 18 years of age.

However, if people with a severe hearing impairment are included with those who are deaf, then the number is 4 to 10 times higher. That is, anywhere from 9 to 22 out of every 1,000 people have a severe hearing impairment or are deaf. Again, at least half of these people reported their hearing loss after 64 years of age.

Finally, if everyone who has any kind of "trouble" with their hearing is included then anywhere from 37 to 140 out of every 1,000 people in the United States have some kind of hearing loss, with a large share being at least 65 years old.

How many deaf people are in the United States?

People sometimes forget that people will support this not because they themselves are deaf but because they believe in the message. And that is the hardest obsticle to overcome here.

I wish you the best of luck and will be keeping my eyes on your project ready to buy as soon as I can. :rolleyes:

I learned in ASL Class that over 250,000 people have a hearing impairment in Fresno County, of Central California. People are surprised how many deaf people are around them. They cant tell because they are no different from the deaf people. I support the creation of this coin! I would buy them to put into all of my caches.

"The problem is not that the students do not hear. The problem is that the hearing world does not listen." Rev. Jesse Jackson"

Keep up the good work Deafhunt. I am sure that a coin company will pick up your coin idea soon. Don't worry about your grammar, I can hear and still mess up grammar all the time. I'll be getting some of these coins when they come out, I'm from Western Canada so I will release some here. Take Care and have fun Caching.

Just a question. What is the heritage of deaf people? I understand the unique

language and culture part but not other one. I do not know any deaf people and I would like to understand

a little more about the heritage difference. If I were to loose my hearing today, how would that change

my heritage? If my parents were not deaf and I was born deaf, how does that affect my heritage?

Like I said, I am not trying to be mean or rude, I just really want to know.

Thanks

-Dardevle-

language and culture part but not other one. I do not know any deaf people and I would like to understand

a little more about the heritage difference. If I were to loose my hearing today, how would that change

my heritage? If my parents were not deaf and I was born deaf, how does that affect my heritage?

Thanks

-Dardevle-

If I understand your question, theres no heritage, two people with normal hearing may have a deaf child, or vice versa. Also many children go deaf at a young age even though they can hear as a baby. I have a friend that is 80% deaf, he lost his hearing at a very young age.

I will be ordering this coin this weekend.

My wife is hard of hearing and has a hearing loss since birth. I got her one of each of the coins for her for a suprise, she will just love them. Glad I got in on the presale before they were all gone. She got one prior for a gift from her friend and she was like in AWW for a long time afterwards. SSSHHHhhhh....now dont tell my wife.

Barry of sweetlife

Mountain, WI.

Way to go Deafhunt and Tadpole379! It is great to see that this coin came to fruition. I have bought a few to give to my 89 year old deaf Grandmother. She cached with me last summer at a Cracker Barrel in Indianapolis and has asked to cache again next summer when she comes out to Colorado to visit. How cool is that?

Love the coin!

Way to go Deafhunt and Tadpole379! It is great to see that this coin came to fruition. I have bought a few to give to my 89 year old deaf Grandmother. She cached with me last summer at a Cracker Barrel in Indianapolis and has asked to cache again next summer when she comes out to Colorado to visit. How cool is that?

Love the coin!

Way to go for your Granmother . . . WOW and 89 years Young! :rolleyes:

Thanks

-Dardevle-

The deaf culture and heritage is not so much related to where someone is from (country, region, or religious background) it is more about a camaraderie with other deaf people because they have that in common. I think its human nature that people want to feel like they belong to a group or community--they want to feel like they are a part of something. More so for people who use sign language--if you speak in ASL, you will hang out with other people who speak in ASL. Unless people are deaf or have spent a lot of time with a good friend or relative who is deaf and uses ASL, most people can't communicate in sign language, so people who do will stick together forming a community and a culture.

Chip and I took a class in ASL sign language at the Newport News Parks and Rec. Dept. when we first started going together. Chip remembers more of the signs than I do but it really was a fun class. At the end of the class we all had to do some kind of presentation of signing to a song, poem, or part of some kind of speach. I think Chip did the pledge of allegience and I did something to a song, can't quite remember what it was though; it's been so long ago. Can't wait to get our coins:)

Hello deafhunt and tadpole379

I received the coin today and i like him very much.

I have choose the bleu color and the coin is beautiffuler at real than on the picture and then looked the coin al nice.

The text is real good to read.

I wil set the coin free but first i wil enjoy him.

Thanks for making this beautiful geocoin.

greetings

Hello Deafhunt and Tadpole379

I have set the deaf awareness geocoin free in the Netherlands.

He can now spread his word in to the world.

I hope the coin travels fast, so he can tell a lot off cachers his story.

greetings :huh:

I took a look at the activated Deaf Awareness coins and there are quite a few that are traveling. I hope they reach many people in their journeys. ;):huh:

Edited for spelling

Edited by tadpole379

Somehow I completely missed this and I can see with all the collaberation with so many fine artists Deafhunts idea came to bear fruit.

I am a parent of a disabled child, and through the efforts of people like DF and many of the artists here awareness is not taking a back seat in the geocaching community. It is through your actions and support where dissabilities will be mainstreamed and not treated like in the past. Everyone supporting this by purchasing or having discussions should be proud of themselves.

deafhunt,

Glad to see that your project has been successful. Thanks to all those who have helped make it happen. I missed out on ordering this...have been away from the forums for awhile. The holidays and other family commitments have occupied my time lately.

Perhaps we will meet sometime, and will be able to do a face-to-face trade. Will you be attending GW6? If so, that would be great.

deafhunt,

Glad to see that your project has been successful. Thanks to all those who have helped make it happen. I missed out on ordering this...have been away from the forums for awhile. The holidays and other family commitments have occupied my time lately.

Perhaps we will meet sometime, and will be able to do a face-to-face trade. Will you be attending GW6? If so, that would be great.

You can still buy the coins at www.geoswag.com in 3 colors. :anibad: