deaf awareness geocoin

deafnut

I am asking everyone to know this . As i am asking Geocaching coin People to read this too so i want to sperad this coin asm i will not keeps this but will move it to show hearing geocacher to understand more about deaf here what i want you to know if you like it and want to support it . SAY I DO SUPPORT IT . ANd i ask them if they can sell those because to show more people that care hearing and handcapies too so here what you should know :

<H1 align=left>Deaf Awareness Week</H1>The World Federation of the Deaf (WFD) is an international organization composed of 120 national associations of the deaf which, in collaboration with the United Nations, serves all countries in the enhancement of the social, economic and cultural lives of deaf and hard of hearing people. The National Association of the Deaf (NAD, USA) participates in Deaf World Week, initiated by the WFD, annually during the last full week in September to celebrate the culture, heritage, and language unique to deaf people of the world.

Dates for Deaf Awareness Week

Deaf Awareness Week (DAW) is the last full week (Sunday through Saturday) of September, in commemoration of the first World Congress of the Deaf held that week in 1951. However, Deaf Awareness events can be held at anytime of the year. For example, a school may hold a Deaf Festival in April to provide the students, faculty and staff several months of preparation; or a library may have a Deaf Awareness exhibit in December in honor of the birth of Laurent Clerc (Dec. 26, 1785) and Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet (Dec. 10, 1787).

Events

Deaf Awareness events range from an exhibit in the corridor of a school to a full week of events scheduled throughout a city. Performing artists, lectures, art exhibits, film festivals, historical exhibits, Deaf Festivals, booths in area shopping malls, deaf awareness programs held in conjunction with sporting events -- these are just a sampling of past events held across the nation. Keep your eyes open for events happening in your community.

Objectives

• To be able to differentiate between misconception and fact about deafness and deaf culture.
  • To understand the differences in the attitudinal approaches to deafness by the hearing public and deaf people themselves.
  • To learn about types, degrees, and causes of hearing loss and other audiological information.
  • To become familiar with terminology related to deafness.
  • To become familiar with various forms of sign language and other communication means.
  • To understand the functions of assistive devices used by people who are deaf or hard of hearing.
  • To better understand an interpreter's role.
  • To learn about the types of educational programs and support services that are available to deaf persons.
  • To gain an understanding of the psychosocial aspects of deafness.
  • To become familiar with the services and resources that are available to the deaf community.
  • To learn relevant tips for communicating with deaf and hard of hearing people.
  • To have a better understanding of deaf culture.
  • To recognize that "Deaf People Can Do Anything Except Hear!" (I. King Jordan)

If you like those idea please tell geocaching coin to Help out .

I am very nevrous about thisand If i DO get this i will relase all of those geocion at at Deaf Awareness Week (DAW) is the last full week (Sunday through Saturday) of September . and will do at geocaching deaf event too . thank tou for read this and If you like this and want to supoort the idea say Them i do support this .

ANd i did ask NAD AND WIll not Fund me for this time and i ask when you can fund and they say maybe you don"t understand we can"t fund you . SO i want to prove them i show so they will feel bad about what they did to me and will support next time and will support geocaching too . so please help me out :D

Edited by deafhunt
:D I'm a little bit confused. What are you asking for exactly? Are you looking for support for the organization, support for a new coin or a show of support from various coins? I'm just not certain I understand what you'd like to do.

Support For the Organiztion and show NAD We care about IT !!!! NAD don't know what geocaching mean .

" Talk like the no sound came out of your mouth but the action speak so loud than the mouth "

That my thought of quote.

Deafhunt, at the top of this forum are places you can go to and suggest a coin be made. That doesn't mean they will do it for you - but you can try. If they like the idea THEY will mint the coin and then offer it for sale. Good luck!

I know that if not . I can do my best action to make this happen . i have email them and suggest look at this post.

Deafhunt, at the top of this forum are places you can go to and suggest a coin be made. That doesn't mean they will do it for you - but you can try. If they like the idea THEY will mint the coin and then offer it for sale. Good luck!

I know that if not . I can do my best action to make this happen . i have email them and suggest look at this post.

I'll suggest OakCoins. They have a program for this and in talking to them recently, I suspect they would be a good fit to get your coins made.

However you will need an adult to back you up on the deal.

I'll suggest OakCoins. They have a program for this and in talking to them recently, I suspect they would be a good fit to get your coins made.

However you will need an adult to back you up on the deal.

what you by the mean "However you will need an adult to back you up on the deal."

i am not kid but if i ask other adult they think it supid .

RK is right about having an adult back you. I believe you are minor, and therefore, no company could do a contract with you. If I'm wrong about your age, please forgive me.

What I would do is a rough sketch of a coin or just a general idea of what you would want the coin to include, and contact the various coin companies. Quite frankly, and no insult is intended, your form of writing does not make clear what you are hoping to achieve. Have someone go over your letter and make sure your objectives are clear and concise.

That being said, if you get this coin minted, I would certainly purchase one.

My type is very "no good" because i raise by hearing family and i was deaf all my life so please forgive my type and one thing when people see my face on picture they will say hey that kid he not adult but in fact ia m 20 and next eight month i will be 21 .. so if you want to be my back please do . i really like geocacher help me my back because what i have see in here most my family see me play think it supid because they have went one place it hard one for my newbie so we went there and my father got mad m e for not bring paper because i have it gps with me last dec and gave up went back in anchorage get thing better . now i have found 21 cache and hide one ....... :D

My type is very "no good" because i raise by hearing family and i was deaf all my life so please forgive my type and one thing when people see my face on picture they will say hey that kid he not adult but in fact ia m 20 and next eight month i will be 21 .. so if you want to be my back please do . i really like geocacher help me my back because what i have see in here most my family see me play think it supid because they have went one place it hard one for my newbie so we went there and my father got mad m e for not bring paper because i have it gps with me last dec and gave up went back in anchorage get thing better . now i have found 21 cache and hide one ....... :D

You do look very young! Which is a good thing. You'll understand when you are 40..something.

Give us an idea of what you want the coin to look like.

Deafhunt,

Geocaching.com does not produce coins. They only provide tracking numbers and they approve designs that are going to be trackable, or that carry the geocaching.com logo. There are some companies that will take an idea, mint it, put it up for sale and give the designer, or person who came up with the artwork, for a coin, some of them for free. They need artwork to do this. They don't just take an idea, do all the work, and give someone coins for just having an idea. Please, read the pinned threads at the top, there is a lot of information there.

I agree that people should be more aware of what it is like for the hearing impaired to live in a hearing world, but I also think that rather than separate yourself from the community by declaring your deafness, you should try to be a part of the community. These forums are in written word, we are not listening to these forums, we are reading them. Why separate yourself?

According to what I can find online, only 8.6% of the US population is deaf and hard of hearing. What percentage of those people are geocachers? Probably not a lot, so your pleas for a deaf geocaching community may well be falling on deaf ears (no pun intended). What I mean is perhaps there are only a handful of geocachers are deaf. And how many of those would you find in Alaska? Consider the math.

The coin is a good idea. Come up with a design, get some help from some artsy people if you know any. I do not want to discourage you, but you need to do some more work before you ask for help from the community. Also, your post is a little confusing as to what you are asking for, exactly. Please try to be a bit clearer about what you are looking for.

I feel that you should try just to be a part of the community as a human. Not just a deaf human. I'm sure there is more to you than your deafness. What are your hobbies? Include them on the coin if you need ideas. Most people will not throw money towards an idea that is thin air. You need to provide them with a concrete design and plan. Read the pinned threads, learn more first.

Thank you.

Eartha

Volunteer Groundspeak Forum Moderator

Deafhunt,

Geocaching.com does not produce coins. They only provide tracking numbers and they approve designs that are going to be trackable, or that carry the geocaching.com logo. There are some companies that will take an idea, mint it, put it up for sale and give the designer, or person who came up with the artwork, for a coin, some of them for free. They need artwork to do this. They don't just take an idea, do all the work, and give someone coins for just having an idea. Please, read the pinned threads at the top, there is a lot of information there.

I agree that people should be more aware of what it is like for the hearing impaired to live in a hearing world, but I also think that rather than separate yourself from the community by declaring your deafness, you should try to be a part of the community. These forums are in written word, we are not listening to these forums, we are reading them. Why separate yourself?

According to what I can find online, only 8.6% of the US population is deaf and hard of hearing. What percentage of those people are geocachers? Probably not a lot, so your pleas for a deaf geocaching community may well be falling on deaf ears (no pun intended). What I mean is perhaps there are only a handful of geocachers are deaf. And how many of those would you find in Alaska? Consider the math.

The coin is a good idea. Come up with a design, get some help from some artsy people if you know any. I do not want to discourage you, but you need to do some more work before you ask for help from the community. Also, your post is a little confusing as to what you are asking for, exactly. Please try to be a bit clearer about what you are looking for.

I feel that you should try just to be a part of the community as a human. Not just a deaf human. I'm sure there is more to you than your deafness. What are your hobbies? Include them on the coin if you need ideas. Most people will not throw money towards an idea that is thin air. You need to provide them with a concrete design and plan. Read the pinned threads, learn more first.

Thank you.

Eartha

Volunteer Groundspeak Forum Moderator

I have email geocaching geocion and talk about i told tehm i am not good at aritirt and right my bet they read and i try to have the frist Geocoin that make so people can buy online .... but however i am been feel worthless now thank you . because i try to comeup with artites but my head not good aritest and i want people to understand deaf can do same as hearing . i know people will not throw up in thin air but show i am working on it . That prove i am work on it . SO Be bear with me i can do this in better way . i will not give up . I will NOT GIVE UP !

Deafhunt,

Bravo for taking the first step: Asking for help and input. :D

Work on your design and try to post a couple possibilities. People on the forum will give you input to help your final design. Yes some will be harsh, but most will be supportive.

We will watch the forum for your project. Robustus and group would be happy to purchase some of your coins once they are minted.

Happy Caching and have a great weekend! :mad:

Good Luck

Robustus

5th Element

I was born with a bi-lateral hearing loss (hearing loss in both ears). While I can hear and am not deaf, I cannot hear very well, and have had a hearing aid since I was very young. I think deafness and hearing impairment is a disablilty that not many people know much about. It is also a difficult disability to live with and deal with every day. If you are physically disabled and in a wheelchair for example, everyone can see that you have a disability. If you are deaf, that is not always the case. In my own experiences, I have often had to explain my disabilty to people because social situations can be difficult for me, and it helps them to understand why I may not act as a normal hearing person would in these types of situations.

Deafhunt, I think this is a very good cause. I have put together some preliminary artwork from the description in this thread from the Atwell Family.

If yuu don't have the money yourself to fund a geocoin, many of the coin companies offer a coin reselling program. They will take your design, mint your coin, and sell it in their store. In exchange, you will receive a certain number of coins for free that you can sell, trade, keep. etc.

deafgeocachingcopy.jpg

The front was something like this. Just through the back together. Translucent blue inthe middle with texture under.

sign.jpg

someting like this good?

edited: didn't see the otehr post but anyway.

that one was good !!!!! But i wonder if they can add litte 3d on fingerspelling geocaching ? that cool and can add color too :) :) :) :) :)

The front was something like this. Just through the back together. Translucent blue inthe middle with texture under.

sign.jpg

someting like this good?

that one was good !!!!! But i wonder if they can add litte 3d on fingerspelling geocaching ? that cool and can add color too :) :) :) :) :)

I would do in antigue metals and make the hands 3D. I like tadpoles idea of spelling the word on the inside. The back would have blue PMS around the outside and translucent blue on the inside.

Need to fix the spelling and wording in your quote.

sign.jpg

someting like this good?

yeah it good :)

let me offer this to geocaching coin and see if they can . if not ui will let you help me out :)

I like the wording, It is just like DeafHunt would say the quote. It also demonstrates one of the difficulties that deaf cachers have in communicating with the hearing community. The sentence structure in deaf english is very different than our structure and DeafHunt is using proper grammar for his language. Unfortunately that has caused several people to belittle him and think that his is a "kid" instead of an adult.

I like the wording, It is just like DeafHunt would say the quote. It also demonstrates one of the difficulties that deaf cachers have in communicating with the hearing community. The sentence structure in deaf english is very different than our structure and DeafHunt is using proper grammar for his language. Unfortunately that has caused several people to belittle him and think that his is a "kid" instead of an adult.

Really, I wasn't trying to belittle him! I am loving the coin! I thought he was a kid because of they way he looks in his picture! And I really did not intend to belittle him about his writing. It is very hard to understand. But I do sincerely apologize to deafhunt if I offended him in anyway. I highly respect what he is trying to accomplish!

Really, I wasn't trying to belittle him! I am loving the coin! I thought he was a kid because of they way he looks in his picture! And I really did not intend to belittle him about his writing. It is very hard to understand. But I do sincerely apologize to deafhunt if I offended him in anyway. I highly respect what he is trying to accomplish!

I wasn't referring to you Joni, I was making reference to some threads from the past. DeafHunt went through some rough post because he is using ASL sentence structure.

THANK you for keep suppourt men . If you belive me that i can do anything > let me know if you blive ......

Although I know that brail is not for deaf people but blind, would be make sence to add a line of brail around the coin spelling Geocahing? That would make the coin... bi-lingual? :)

I think that overall this is a great idea. Deafhunt, please keep working towards this. If you have enough determination, you will find someone that will fund or support you in making the coins. When it comes to written communication, don't hesitate to ask for some support in trying to get your idea across. Many of the people here have created many coins and may be able to give you some help in what to ask for or how to ask.

Alright, I can't find my artwork right now, but here are my thoughts:

Front of the coin:

GC (in fingerspelled letters) in the center

Fun in Any Language! around the edge

On the opposite side:

The "I Love You" hand with an ammo can superimposed in the middle of the hand.

Text around: found cache SIGNED log

Anyone want to try at the art work? I am on dial up and have NO graphic arts programs!

Edited by Morgan's Marauders

Front of the coin:

On the opposite side:

Anyone want to try at the art work? I am on dial up and have NO graphic arts programs!

Willing to help with art but won't do until deafhunt thinks it is a good idea. I don't want to be doing a bunch of art if it will never lead to anything..

Like the Signed log and Fun in any language. If the second was used then could add brail to the coin.

Front of the coin:

On the opposite side:

Willing to help with art but won't do until deafhunt thinks it is a good idea. I don't want to be doing a bunch of art if it will never lead to anything..

Like the Signed log and Fun in any language. If the second was used then could add brail to the coin.

How about, as Sytar said, but on the edges(sides) you put it in brail?

what that (How about, as Sytar said, but on the edges(sides) you put it in brail?) i plan add text on rim ....

Front of the coin:

On the opposite side:

How about, as Sytar said, but on the edges(sides) you put it in brail?

I wasn't referring to you Joni, I was making reference to some threads from the past. DeafHunt went through some rough post because he is using ASL sentence structure.

While I do understand where you are coming from with this, if the coin is to raise awareness to the general public, they won't get much further then a buig "Huh?" if they read the quote that way. I would prefer it be a little easier to understand and think it would be more helpful to the cause than the way it is. Just my thoughts though.

you will undertsand more if we start make one . however i think we are plan to make one soon maybe next three month we might have it ready for semtper last week i will let you know you can order and i will possible realse some to the state . keep your eye on this !!!!!

While I do understand where you are coming from with this, if the coin is to raise awareness to the general public, they won't get much further then a buig "Huh?" if they read the quote that way. I would prefer it be a little easier to understand and think it would be more helpful to the cause than the way it is. Just my thoughts though.

I would certainly buy these if they are produced. My daughter is hearing impaired and luvs geocaching. She is 17 and NOT disabled. She is very able and knows that the future is hers.

I understand your grammar issues, this is a common challenge. Don't give up on improving this as it's a great way to communicate on a more level playing field with everyone. You can truly do it! My daughter is proof as she's publishing her first book.

Good luck with this project, and the awareness it will bring.