Dipping Coins for mileage?

Hudson Green

Team Hudson Green has a few coins in their collection. We have already dropped a few in GC's overseas during our holidays but neglected to start them off somewhere to account for the mileage. Oops! Is there any way we can use our home co-ordinates as a starting point? For future coins, how can we "dip" into our own nearby GC's to start the mileage meter? Thanks in advance! :D

I usually dip in and out of the closest cache toh ome that I own. Then immediately grab back. This works best if you have a disabled/archived cache otherwise if you don't grab them all back immediately, some local cachers will think that they are in the cache and run out to retrieve them, especially since they are coins.

You can do what I did for this geocoin that I own - - - http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1117262

Make sure that the coin is in your inventory, by activating it. Then create a note for the cache into which you want to dip the coin, noting what you are doing. Then retrieve it back into your inventory, before moving it to another further cache.

Whether you can backdate the dip I am not sure, but I suspect that you can.

Also some cachers like to see the 'dipping' notes removed otherwise when they download the caches as pocket queries they get these notes, which takes up 1 of the 5 logs that they get with the download.

Cheers from Dubai.

GeoCRAt.

I created an unpublished cache with my home coordinates that I dip (start) my coins in, before letting them travel.

This is exactly what we want to do but can't figure out how to go about creating an unpublished cache. Can you explain how to do this or direct me to a previous thread where this is discussed?

Thank you!

TeamFROG

This is also what I do. From memory - you go through setting it up as though you were putting a cache at your dront door (or gate, etc) , with the correct coordinates etc, and then make sure you don't tick the "This cache is actitive" box cause I think it is at point that it goes to the reviewers. It then sits in your profile as an unpublished cache, which no one but you can see. You can then treat it as though it was a normal cache. HTH

Craig

This is also what I do. From memory - you go through setting it up as though you were putting a cache at your dront door (or gate, etc) , with the correct coordinates etc, and then make sure you don't tick the "This cache is actitive" box cause I think it is at point that it goes to the reviewers. It then sits in your profile as an unpublished cache, which no one but you can see. You can then treat it as though it was a normal cache. HTH

Craig

:) Thanks Keewee! We'll give it a try.

TeamFROG

Are you supposed to dip the coin back into your homebase ( unpublished cache) after a days trip of caching?

That's what I plan to do. I will dip it into one cache on every caching trip (assuming I can see the car from a cache, since the car is my TB). Then I will dip it back into my home cache.

See mine for example: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...1a-e33a431b414c

I got my mileage problem fixed by deleting my logs on my unpublished home cache and the cache I had logged it into. Then I relogged them in the correct order. The mileage is now working. I think previously I logged them in the wrong order even though I predated the one.

Edited by markz68

If you want to dip a coin to get it started, do you need to return to a cache you've been to before? I am starting a new coin to replace one that disappeared, so am going to send it in the mail to another cacher to place. But I want it to start accumulating mileage from here. I don't want to cheat, so do I need to actually go dip it into a cache, or can I log it into one I've been recently?

If you want to dip a coin to get it started, do you need to return to a cache you've been to before? I am starting a new coin to replace one that disappeared, so am going to send it in the mail to another cacher to place. But I want it to start accumulating mileage from here. I don't want to cheat, so do I need to actually go dip it into a cache, or can I log it into one I've been recently?

Typically you should only log travelers through caches they have actually visited, but it doesn't seem like you are going to be doing this too often so if the cache owner doesn't mind I don't think the rest of us will care that much either.

In theory yes.

In reality, who's gonna know?

Is there a cache near your house? Do you drive by that area often? Say that you dipped it there.

It's your coin. Do what you want with it. It's not like you are saying you "found" the cache without going to it.